Thread: Virgin sacrifice

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

I've had good success lately as the Hungarians by attacking Venice on the second turn, taking it, then offering the Italians a princess. It's worked every time for three or four times I've used this start.

However, the practice seems to lose effectiveness. For instance, I married off a princess to the Byz to stop a war several turns later. They went through with the deal, then attacked me again after the wedding.

So, who else has made a good match? Also, is there any way to check the age of a princess when you get a marriage proposal from another faction?
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

there are other factors you may be forgetting. marriage is all and good, but ultimately it's other traits that come into play as well.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

other traits? what do you mean by that, solypsist?

princesses have traits? if so, I never knew

Yeah you know, like are they good in bed or do the give good h##d?

I know this will get me a reprimand but I just had to say it. Soly, if this is really objectionable just delete it and I won't be offended.

This tactic is probably losing its' effectiveness because your are crossing some threshold for the AI; it tends to hate winners. Best always to think of the AI as a forteen year old on a suger rush.
    Veni, Venti, Gripi
    I came, I saw, the food did not agree with me.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

the other traits I was referring to were your ruler's influence and previous history. did you break any alliances by invading an ally at some point before these marriages?

as as mentioned by MDB, there is that top-of-the-heap bias. once you're at a certain point, you can expect no alliances or diplomatic missions to work.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

My original post was badly worded. What I meant to say was: Does anybody have any particularly successful stories to tell about marrying off princesses, especially in the opening moves?

Marrying off a princess to the Italians seems to work very well for the Hungarians, for instance. Any similar opening moves for English, or whomever?
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Doug-Thompson @ May 07 2004,16:40)]My original post was badly worded. What I meant to say was: Does anybody have any particularly successful stories to tell about marrying off princesses, especially in the opening moves?

Marrying off a princess to the Italians seems to work very well for the Hungarians, for instance. Any similar opening moves for English, or whomever?
    It works well for me when playing England for making peace with France after grabbing Flanders early. With the HRE princesses are really helpful keeping your generals in line.

nick