Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MTW Hero Creator

OH, NOIm using XP. can u tell me how to create a hero manually?
    [img][/img]

go back to page one.
    my tutorial is for both.
    thanks, desmond
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    2. in MTW Early El Cid is a Rebel General on the camp map from startup, how is this done?
    Omegamann, El Cid appears at the start because his year of appearance is before that of the year the campaign starts.

Quote[/b] ]
    3. can the Hero Creator also be used to set the starting stats, vices and virtues of the starting Kings, and how is it done?
    No ... I was going to make 1.1 so it could but no one recommended anything for it so I assumed it wasn't worth making. Also, I got wrapped up in some other projects. Sorry
    May your first child be a masculine child.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Quote[/b] (Kaatar @ July 07 2004,08:42)]
    Quote[/b] ]
    3. can the Hero Creator also be used to set the starting stats, vices and virtues of the starting Kings, and how is it done?
    No ... I was going to make 1.1 so it could but no one recommended anything for it so I assumed it wasn't worth making. Also, I got wrapped up in some other projects. Sorry
    are you going to proceed to another version including this feature?
    B.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Ok thanks Kataar,
    as you said you are now doing other projects,
    is there a tutorial on creating starting kings?

I was working on 1.1 and other tools but i had to stop abruptly, because i've developed carpal tunnel syndrome. Since then i have not worked with computers, so the program may not be released any time soon.

Sorry

Quote[/b] (Omegamann @ July 07 2004,14:19)]Ok thanks Kataar,
    as you said you are now doing other projects,
    is there a tutorial on creating starting kings?
    Making famous kings:

BACK UP ANY FILES YOU ARE GOING TO EDIT

You're going to have to make him a FAMOUS_KING.

Go into C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\campmap\names and open DEFAULT_HEROES.txt. I'll use the Italians for the example.

Go down to the part of the file that has the Italian famous kings. It looks like this:

FAMOUS_KINGS:: FN_ITALIAN 3
    //name no. c d p a portrait vnv
    0, 2, 1, 3, 4, 5, -1, traderking1
    7, 1, 4, 5, 4, 5, -1, secret_anger3
    2, 6, 1, 3, 4, 5, -1, traderking1

To add a new king, change the 3 to a 4. This tells the game that there are 4 famous kings for the Italians. Now put in all of his attributes.
    name = name
    no. = number e.g. 2 Henry II, 4 = Kaatar IV etc.
    c = command (this has a maximum of 7)
    d = dread
    p = piety
    a = acumen
    portrait = portrait (-1 means random portrait)
    vnv = Vice and virtue. A list of these can be found in events.txt located C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Loc\Eng.

It gets a little bit complicated here.

At the start of the file you'll notice this line:
    SET_FORENAMES:: FN_ITALIAN 3 8

This means that the Italians have the third bunch of forenames (3) and they're first eight names are reserved for royals (8).

If we go down to the third bunch of forenames, we'll see this (I've added the numbers to make it easier to understand):
    // 3: italian_forenames
    ADD_FORENAMES::
    "Vitale" //0
    "Orso" //1
    "Giovanni" //2
    "Lorenzo" //3
    "Pietro" //4
    "Jacopo" //5
    "Marino" //6
    "Enrico" //7
    "Teofilatto" //8

The names each have a number representing their position. It starts off at 0, not 1.

Say I want my kings name to be Giovanni (cause it sounds cool :D ), the name I would put down would be 2. And if I want it to be the third Italian king named Giovanni who gets these attributes, I have to specify his number as 3. So here's what I have so far:

2, 3, 5, 4, 1, 7, -1, mightywarrior3

I just gave him any old numbers for the rest of his attributes (command, dread etc.) and I also gave him the "Famous Warrior" (mightywarrior3) vice and virtue. You can give him any you like.

Now ... *catches breath* go into C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\campmap\startpos and select the era you want to start your campaign in and have this FAMOUS_KING. I'll use Late.txt for the example.

Open Late.txt and scroll down this part:

SetStartLeader:: FN_ITALIAN 2 8 4 3 6 1 12 2 2 1

The "2" after FN_ITALIAN means that the third (0,1,2) famous_king for the Italians rules at the beginning of this era. The next number (8 here) is the number that represents how many numbers follow after it.

FAMOUS_KINGS:: FN_ITALIAN 4
    0, 2, 1, 3, 4, 5, -1, traderking1 //0
    7, 1, 4, 5, 4, 5, -1, secret_anger3 //1
    2, 6, 1, 3, 4, 5, -1, traderking1 //2
    2, 3, 1, 3, 4, 5, -1, mightywarrior3 //3 (our guy)

The rest of the numbers says the names of the previous kings. Because there's a "1" there, if I have another king called Orso (remember the forename list? "Orso" //1), he will be Orso II because there has been an Orso before him.

Once you've edited these files appropriately and saved over them, your king will appear when it's his time and you're playing a new campaign that starts on the era of the text file you edited.

Lord, Cartographer and Poet. Member King Azzole's Avatar

Default Re: MTW Hero Creator

Can someone please explain how to add new factions to the hero file so I can make factions for added factions? I play BKB super mod and would like to make heroes for factions that arent listed in the heroes list! Thanks!
    Charge, repeat as necessary.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

KA I'll be adding many heroes for the final release so if you have any preferences just PM me with their names and I'll put them in (that is unless I've added them already!)

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Okay, why can't I get this thing working? I can download, unzip and install it no problem, but then when I try to use it I get an error message. Anybody else have this problem? I'm using XP, btw, but I notice others using XP have said they were able to use the hero creator.

Please help.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Okay, I was having trouble so I posted my problem in the Main Hall and maestro was kind enough to reply with a fix. Here is is for anybody who gets a "comdlg32.ocx" error message when they try to run the Hero Creator:

Quote Originally Posted by maestro
    Am i right in thinking that you get an error about comdlg32.ocx?

If so it's a simple process to fix this.

First: right click and save me into C:\windows\system32

Second: Click -start- and -run- and the following command (copy and paste for ease) ---->

regsvr32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\comdlg32.ocx

Hey presto - should work
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

The download file could not be found

Can u upload it again

The hair proves it... Senior Member EatYerGreens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamann
    Question to Dessa and Kaatar:
    In the readme it states that heros can not appear in the first 3 years of a campaign.
    Dessa states the time is 10 years.
    1. what is the right timespan?
    2. in MTW Early El Cid is a Rebel General on the camp map from startup, how is this done?
    Here's an extract from the notes at the top of DEFAULT_HEROES.TXT

// FAMOUS_HEROES::
    // This sets up heroes for a faction, the number shows how many entries are to be read in
    // The forename and surname must correspond to an entry in names.txt or changes.txt
    // Date is the year that this character will start to become available// Possible types are: GENERAL, SPY, ASSASSIN, EMISSARY, BISHOP, CARDINAL, INQUISITOR,
    // GRAND_INQUISITOR, PRIEST, ORTHODOX_BISHOP, MULLAH, ULAMA, and PRINCESS
    // Region list the place where the character will appear from, ID_LIMBO means everywhere is possible
    // So if you train any assassin as the English after 1190 anywhere in your kingdom, you will get Guy of Gisbourne
    (My emphasis)

Here's the extract for El Cid.
    Note that he's the first of several in a sub-list. The number 18 is telling the game how many entries to read in from this list. Compare it with the entry for Swiss kings, just above it, which shows a "1". My guess is that you have to increase this number every time you add a new entry - into this or any other sub-list, within the document.

FAMOUS_KINGS:: FN_SWISS 1
    2, 1, 4, 3, 3, 4, -1, defender3

FAMOUS_HEROES:: FN_REBEL 18
    //hero name date, c, d, p, a, l, v, TYPE ID_REGION PORTRAIT
    "El", "Cid", 1054, 4, 5, 4, 3, 3, attacker2, GENERAL, ID_VALENCIA, 1 //El Cid!
    Emphasis mine again.

Note how you can set them to have V&Vs from the outset but you need to know what the correct V&V labels are. Read through the rest of the file to see other examples. "attacker2" presumably translates as "expert attacker".

Unless Kaatar specifically coded all the correct labels into his program (there's a ton of them), I suspect you will have to add these manually but beware of accidentally overtyping/deleting/backspacing the Tab characters separating the columns of data and insert tect in the correct place.

This is what the file itself says about this, near the top of the document.

// The vnv entry must match an existing vnv in the game, the see changes.txt and event.txt for the correct text label
    Remember that the DATE column is meant to indicate the date "available from". I think this is the equivalent of the delay before an heir comes of age, i.e. {year of birth + 16} and is an already-adjusted value, so beware that copying in the year of birth direct from the history book will make them appear and, later, die of old age earlier than they did historically.

Avoid the temptation to go through the whole file 'correcting' the appearance dates set by the game designers. I would imagine they varied the offsets to account for the time the heroes took to acquire their special skills. In the case of hero Bishops/Emissaries and so on, they made this a lot longer than 16 years. (Agents don't die of old age... but they do die a lot, in the normal course of the game ).

So, heroes available on turn one is technically possible and the above should show how it's done.

Note that El Cid's unit type is determined by something in the startpos file which sets which units the Valencia rebel stack contains and he'll end up leading any unit which doesn't have the "DISCOURAGED" entry in UNITPROD for whether it's suitable as a general.

For example, if Lithuania is rebel on turn one and you wanted to add a 1087-era hero general for them but they are preset to be just a stack of spears and UM, the supposed hero will end up as one of those and therefore not up to much, unless you ALSO alter the startpos file to give them an extra unit which is considered suitable.

For Player faction heroes, beware that training facilities are limited in the first few turns (of Early era) and the typical player will be churning out archers, spears and UM because that's about all they can get. The hero will be spawned as one of these crud units and then stuck like that for the rest of the game, if they are made to appear too soon. Even more likely to be that way if the AI is in charge of the faction, IMHO.

EYG

EDIT!

I sorted it out. It seems the generals will "come of age" about 20 years after the date in the heroes file, so I guess it is their birth date after all.
    EDIT END!

I have added several heroes (GENERAL) to all exisiting factions, but for some reason they won't show up in the game. If I set the "available date" to 20 years before the campaign start they seem to show up at the start of the campaign, but they won't in game it seems. Does anyone have any clue why they don't appear in the game?

[GG]LvD
    Last edited by [GG]vonDöbeln; 09-01-2006 at 14:26.

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

I have noticed that to start with more heores at the beginning the best idea is to have more units able to use those ( soe at least OK in the right section).

The appearance date for some reason doesn't affect the time when the person really takes command of an unit. I can't see any pattern in that sometimes a general with older appearance date doesn't show up before much younger generals. Weird, but happens.

Sometimes they appear much later and really cannot define how many years is the maximum time they have to do so.

Generally I am adding more units or changing them and see what happens.

i cant find the names thing to load heroes file, i looked in the campmap file but it aint there, can some one help

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

campmap/names/DEFAULT_HEROS.txt

That's where it is.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Hi, sorry, I realise this thread is old...

I've been trying this with a mod installed and got it to work on the official MTV campaign, but not on the mod one. Is there anyway that this is possible through this application? If not, manually?

I'd put it down to the new factions etc in the mod. So it would not work as such with the mod, however, you could use it on the Default and then copy the added text into the modded version using the same format.
    #Hillary4prism

Thanks for replying.

I think I've nearly figured it, I noticed that XL, the mod I use, has it's own heroes files, so my question is this;
    a.) Would loading that file work?
    b.) Would I use the same changes file?
    Thanks, Frunk the Guest.

Loading the XL from experience does work, I've done it before come to think of it, and you should load up the XL changes file.
    #Hillary4prism

Thanks, I just tried with XL early heroes and XL early faction changes. I'm unsure if it work as it crashed before the heroe's appearance. Either way, I think that won't work as it glitched up and forgot the names of all the faction leaders and replaced them with some 'could not find' coding, or words to that effect. Any idea of how I can reverse what I did and what to do next time?
    Thanks for the help again mate, Frunk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12