Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Map

Post Campaign Map

I realise this is the wrong forum to request this, but seeing as I have no access to the Dungeon, I see little alternative.

I would like to request someone to create an easy step-by-step tutorial on how to make your own campaign map using the most recent LukMapMaker.

Is there already one out there?

See, my problem is that I have made a map which is to be the _Original.bmp, but how do I go about making the map with the features? What determines what region belongs to who, etc etc.

Anyone? I am sure if I saw how to do it just one time, I would have no troubles duplicating that work. Is there already a proficient guide out there? Point me to it

Thanks
    Gure

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Hi Gure,

I realise this is the wrong forum to request this, but seeing as I have no access to the Dungeon, I see little alternative.

Not exactly true. Raising your query in the Entrance Hall is certainly not as waste of time. Why? Because I've noticed it - and I also noticed your previous post that pertained to finding the correct LMM download.

Please let me say that many modders constantly peruse the Entrance Hall. Obviously it's always better to raise such issues in the Dungeon, but hey ... politics are politics ... and most modders (including I) have absolutely no control over such Org Politics.

Gure - if you wish to create a new campaign map for MTW I'll tell you how to do it. Furthermore, if Gregoshi/Kukrikhan agree it may be an idea to sticky this thread as I've noticed that several people. in the last few weeks/months, are asking the same questions in the Entrance Hall.

Basically if either G or K agree then I'm willing to walk you all through how to create a new campaign map for MTW 1.0 or 1.1 (NOT VI yet) - if the agree to sticky it and avoid similar questions in the future.

If the above is ok then I'll try to explain how LMM creates new campaign maps - in a logical walk-through guide as you have requested, and in a manner that can be retained for posterity.

Welly

Senior Member Senior Member shand994's Avatar

Welly

If it doesnt get stickied in here then we can sticky it in the dungeon. I dont think therell be a problem getting it stickied in here tho.

" 'I freed you, and this is your gratitude?'
    'You delivered pain. Unacceptable. I am not one to feel pain. I only deliver it.'"

I think I have some sticky around here somewhere.

It might be better to put the information in the Dungeon and we can sticky a post with a link to it.
    This space intentionally left blank

Shand/Greg,

Hi guys. I understand what your saying but ... er ... with all respect you both appear to have missed the point completely.

I only replied to this thread as a result of several similar questions in this forum (Entrance Hall) over the last few weeks/months.

My offer was directed towards new people in your forum who are interested in this area of new campaigns but do not have the ability to respond in the Dungeon. Maybe I misread the original poster's request but I interpreted this post as a request for some kind of Question and Answer post that could be accesseed by all.

One of the problems with this specific forum is that moderators control it by virtue of a post count. This, to my mind, says the priority appears to be quantity over quality, and unfortuantelt does'nt account for the many instances whereby many new individuals to the Org have far more nouse (any Liverpudlians around ? ) than you'd give them credit for.

Anyway, there is already a very detailed stickied thread in the Dungeon pertaining to LMM. Ok, a bit technical perhaps but many so-called newbies have utilised that thread very successfully and managed to produce something as a result.

I have absolutely no intention of starting another Dungeon thread in this respect. Why? Two reasons -

1) the next LMM release will hopefully resolve all questions by virtue of the documentation that will be provided with it.
    2) it does'nt matter how much you document something - there will always be questions

Welly

|OCS|Virus

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Gure @ Aug. 25 2003,13:25)]I would like to request someone to create an easy step-by-step tutorial on how to make your own campaign map using the most recent LukMapMaker.
    Ye verily I second the motion that would be a good idea, that would make it a lot easier than the sourses we have now.

Sir Nate of Wessex here..

I have the solution to the problem about specifying what regions become which. My new Iberian Map Mod will have the Golden Horde appear correctly and how I did this follows.

Create the map as normal
    Look for the region names image that shows you what each region got assigned to. Note the changes you need (which regions to switch and open up the /defaults/lookuptable.txt Here is the text file that you will need to change. For example if I want to switch Ireland and Scotland, it first looks like this:

000,001 Zero ID_RegionZero Region Zero
    002,003 Land ID_Scotland Scotland
    004,005 Land ID_North_umbria Northumbria
    006,007 Land ID_Mercia Mercia
    008,009 Land ID_Wales Wales
    010,011 Land ID_Wessex Wessex
    012,013 Land ID_Ireland Ireland

This is what it looks after the correction:

000,001 Zero ID_RegionZero Region Zero
    012,013 Land ID_Ireland Ireland
    004,005 Land ID_North_umbria Northumbria
    006,007 Land ID_Mercia Mercia
    008,009 Land ID_Wales Wales
    010,011 Land ID_Wessex Wessex
    002,003 Land ID_Scotland Scotland

See what I did? I simply switched the whole lines for Scotland and Ireland. Then rerun the program and your new map will come out like you want it. I hope this helps you out. Keep this somewhere safe for future reference once you get a map to come out of LMM successfully. BTW, I am using LMM4v1 and have had not had any problems with changing this file even though the Great Wellington has stated in the file to change at your own peril.

SirNateofWessex
    Please Note: I do not work for Creative Assembly or Sega.

https://www.youtube.com/user/itsmymillertime
    Latest Video: #224 2v2 MP Siege Shogun 2 Commentary
    Added: September 5, 2011

Hi SNoW,

Its very gratifying to hear you've changed some of the LMM parameter files to do things as you wish to do them.

LMM has lots of parameter files, the reason being we tried to make it as flexable as possible - not just for users but also when we were developing it.

Having said that, the change at your peril comment was really saying ok, you certainly can change this file if you know what you doing but we ar'nt sure what the results will be if you choose to change it

I know that many people have found the number of parameter files provided with LMM confusing at times. It was always pro's and con's - do you provide many 'default files' and offer flexability (even it may be confusing), or do you hard code it all and offer less confusion but no flexability at all?

We went with the former, and it's really nice to know that people such as yourself (and others) have managed to puzzle this all out (regardless of the shitty documentation) and use it successfully.

One thing to add. LMM4v1 has a couple of bugs in it. The latest versions were LMM4v2 and LMM4v3, and whilst some people have these versions these are not downloadable from the Org. Why? Simply because of upload/download problems.

The next version, LMM5v1, will be available (Barrocca will probably upload it for me) as soon as I'm happy with the documentation, but having said that ...

... it's always nice to know that some intelligent people can work things out for themselves Kudo's to you SNoW

That sounds sensible to sticky it in here welly

'You delivered pain. Unacceptable. I am not one to feel pain. I only deliver it.'"

Quote[/b] (shand994 @ Aug. 26 2003,00:29)]That sounds sensible to sticky it in here welly
    Hi Shand,

Yeah. It just appears to me that this forum is attracting a lot of questions regarding new campaign maps.

I also know that you know quite a bit about this area as well - BTW - how are you getting on with XP? I've had XP for 12 months now and whilst I like some things there are still many issues that I hate about it.

Anyways, it's now 12 months or more since MTW was 1st released - and it appears that many people now want something a bit different. Hence you guys (moderators) are going to find the Entrance Hall forum will attract new people who know quite a bit about MTW. The label newbies may prove to be a bit of a misnomer nowadays

A Q+A sticky regarding new campaign maps may be useful - not just to new people but also to myself (who is currently struggling with LMM5 documentation )

regards.
    Welly

Welly

Yeh i think that sounds like a good idea. as you say many new people want to know things and its getting difficult to find things, even i cant find stuff i want now. That was part of the reason for rearranging the Dungeon. When its completed it may be easier, we'll see.

XP, seems ok to me, it's definately better than ME. I havent used it all too much yet. I like a lot of the newer features in it. But then again i dont do any coding/scripting like you so i have different uses for it thatn you.

Back to the topic at hand, a Q&A for that is a great idea. I have just started a process of trying to get all the info in the dungeon that people have posted about how to do stuff in MTW from new units right through and im going to try and compile it all into something useful but this may take a while so it might be good for you to do a bit of a Q&A on campmaps etc and ill include that in it. but until then we could sticky it in here.

BTW what news on LMM5, im eagerly waiting for its release

Quote[/b] (shand994 @ Aug. 26 2003,00:56)]BTW what news on LMM5, im eagerly waiting for its release
    The only thing thats really holding it back is finalisng the documentation. Ok, it does'nt have to be perfect but it has to be as good as possible.

One of the main problems with LMM was that we (all the 4 people who assisted in its developement) made a lot of progress very quickly. As a result of that the functionality of various LMM releases changed constantly and as a result I could'nt keep with the necessary documentation required for such changes. Therefore, if anyone downloads LMM4 they'll find the pitiful documentation really related to LMM2

Another issue is that we all do things and get frustrated/pissed off when we hit problems. Hence, we all swop between various projrcts we have on the go. Still, I want to get LMM5 out ASAP - and it is certainly a lot better than previous releases in many respects.

Think in terms of 1 or 2 weeks.

Welly

Post stickied (I found some gum).

Welly, we do not assume that a new patron is new to the game. Promotion is not based on post count. Promotion is based on our evaluation of the patron and it usually takes several posts for us to make our evaluation. Our forums are considered nice and friendly and we wish to keep it that way. We are simply on the look out for new patrons that would disrupt the forums.

Okay, back on topic.

Quote[/b] (Gregoshi @ Aug. 26 2003,01:42)]Post stickied (I found some gum).

Welly, we do not assume that a new patron is new to the game. Promotion is not based on post count. Promotion is based on our evaluation of the patron and it usually takes several posts for us to make our evaluation. Our forums are considered nice and friendly and we wish to keep it that way. We are simply on the look out for new patrons that would disrupt the forums.

Okay, back on topic.
    What

- Promotion is not based on post count
    - Promotion is based on our evaluation of the patron and it usually takes several posts for us to make our evaluation

Er ... is it just me or is something wrong with the above 2 statements? Anyone heard of the phrase mutually exclusive?

... nice and friendly and we wish to keep it that way

Welly sighs with anguish, bends over double, inserts finger into throat, and vomits uncontrollably

Okay Welly, clean up your mess.

We've promoted patrons based on one post. We've promoted patrons based on 30+ posts. It comes down to what is in the posts. You don't make 5 posts and - boom - you're in.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

*Kukri mops up*, muttering: 'dungeonites, always tossing their cookies before the job is done.' *sigh*

So, is that promised Q&A on the way, or has your disgust with Org politics put you off the job?

Thanks, SirNateofWessex for your constructive contribution.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Quote[/b] (KukriKhan @ Aug. 27 2003,22:16)]*Kukri mops up*, muttering: 'dungeonites, always tossing their cookies before the job is done.' *sigh*

So, is that promised Q&A on the way, or has your disgust with Org politics put you off the job?

Thanks, SirNateofWessex for your constructive contribution.

I'm waiting for the Q's - at which point I'll provide the A's

I'm not doing a full walkthrough for LMM3/4 because LMM5 will be available shortly and its a bit different.

As for Org politics. Well, it's always good whinging material. After all, we can't all be nice and friendly can we (says Welly, searching for the pedal bin ...)

Ok,

This thread is intended to be a basic FAQ and Q+A for new people who are interested in the area of new campaign maps for MTW 1.1 (NOT VI yet).

The intention is to first offer info, just to give some background in this area of modding, and then build onthat basic info.

If you want more detailed specific info relating to this area of MTW modding then you can also -

1) have a read of the stickied thread Automatic LukMap & Script creator in the Dungeon/Edit1 forum
    2) do a search in the Org for LMM. You'll find a few threads with bits and pieces of info.

Anyway, back to the basics. I'll try to make this as simple as possible as it is intended to be a basic guide for new people who may be interestd but don't were to begin.

MTW campaign maps.
    ------------------

If you wish to have a new campaign map for MTW then there are several files that require changing (or rather new versions of). These files are very much inter-related but they are also self-contained. By self-contained I mean that you ONLY need to change these files in order to have a completely new campaign map that works.

What are these files? Here they are, complete with the MTW subfolders you'll find them in -

- \Textures\campmap\MapTex.tga
    - \Textures\campmap\MapTex2.tga
    - \frontend_files\FactionSelect_menu\factions map.bif
    - \frontend_files\FactionSelect_menu\factions map lukup.bif
    - \campmap\minimap.bif
    - \campmap\minilukup.bif
    - \Textures\campmap\LukMap.lbm
    - \Textures\campmap\LukMap2.lbm
    - \campmap\startpos\startpos text file
    - \Loc\Eng\Names.txt
    - \Loc\Eng\Changes.txt
    - \Loc\Eng\Glorygoals.txt
    - \Loc\Eng\Variables.txt

A few more details
    ------------------

Ok, but what are these files? Let's add a bit more info -

1) 'MapTex.tga' - the lores campaign map
    2) 'MapTex2.tga' - the hires campaign map

3) 'factions map.bif' - the small factions map in the campaign selection screen
    4) 'factions map lukup.bif' - the look up map for 3) above
    5) 'minimap.bif' - the small province map in the actual campaign screen
    6) 'minilukup.bif' - the look up map for 5) above
    7) 'lukmap.lbm' - the lores campaign look up map for 1) above
    8) 'lukmap2.lbm' - the hires campaign look up map for 2) above

9) 'script.txt' - a 'startpos' file (eg: 'Early.txt' or 'Late.txt&#39

10) 'Names.txt' - campaign related text table in 'LOC/ENG'
    11) 'Variables.txt' - campaign related text table in 'LOC/ENG'
    12) 'Changes' - campaign related text table in 'LOC/ENG'
    13) 'Glorygoals.txt' - campaign related text table in 'LOC/ENG'

Notice that I've split them up into 4 'groups'. Why?

Well, the 1st group are just images, the 2nd group are files based on those images, the 3rd group (the startpos file) is the file that ties all the information together and the 4th group are just names that relate to areas, castles, factions, leaders and so on.

Inter-related files
    -------------------

These files are all inter-related to some degree. How?

1st notice that there are 2 versions of some files ('MapTex.tga'/'MapTex2.tga' and 'lukmap.lbm'/'lukmap2.lbm&#39. This is because, depending on your PC specifications, MTW will use eitehr a low resolution version or a high resolution version. Therefore these files are the basically the same, the difference being scale.

These 4 files are closely inter-related. The 'LukMap' is really a template that MTW uses to ascertain where the lands and sea provinces in the actual map image (the 'MapTex&#39. Thats why when you pick up a piece (unit, ship ect) in an MTW campaign MTW can highlight the boundaries that you can move this piece to. Therefore the LukMaps are very important for MTW to decide where the actual boundaries on the maps start and end.

2nd, the files 'factions map.bif' and 'factions map lukup.bif' are using the same technique. One is actually a map image, the other a template for that map image. Thats how, when you are selecting a faction to play in the campaign selection screen, MTW knows which provinces are owned by which factions.

3rd, the files 'minimap.bif' and 'minilukup.bif' are also using the same technique and are also inter-related. These 2 files are used in the actual campaign and are the black and white transparent image in the top left hand corner of the campaign map screen.

Having said all that there is another important point here. All of the 8 files mentioned so far are really pairs of files, each pair being related to its partner. However, ALL OF THESE 8 FILES ARE ALSO CLOSELY INTER-RELATED TO EACH OTHER.

Another important point is that although the campaign map images, 'Maptex' files, are only 'backdrops' as such, all other files will be directly related to the various land and sea provinces on these 'backdrops'

4th, the 'startpos' file (I call it 'Script.txt&#39 is the key to providing specific information to MTW and is very closely related to ALL of the above mentioned 8 files. This really is MTW's 'parameter' file for campaigns. I'll add a bit more info in a later section in this thread.

5th, the various text file in the LOC/ENG directory (this folder may have a different anme for other language version of MTW) just contain names that relate directly to the campaign map provinces and other things (factions, leaders etc).

How are these files related
    ---------------------------

Generally spoeaking the various files mentioned above are graphics files that are interlated by specific colours (or colors if you an American) that relate to one another. I don't want to get too technical here but think of it like this -

The various regions/provinces are defined in both the 'LukMap' templates and the BIF templates. However, these template type files do NOT use the same colours for the same regions - MTW knows what colours should be used and such colours are directed related to the names of the regions (Scotland, Constantinople and so on).

Other related files
    ---------------------

There are other related files that are important for new campaign maps. Whether you'd want to change them depends on what your new campaign represents.

These files represent army icons, ship icons, leader icons, leader portraits and so on. Important? yes they are, but they are not essional for creating a new campaign. these things are only 'eye candy' and as such are not too important.

For example, if your creating a completely different campaign (Napoleonics or Greek or LoTR) then you will probably wish to change these files also at some stage.

If, however, your new campaign is based in the middle ages (100 Years War, War of the Roses, The Reconquista) you probably won't want to change such files - or only 1 or 2.

Are these files related to new campaigns? Yes
    Are these files essential for new camapigns? No

Creating a new campaign
    -----------------------

So, can we create a new campaign by changing all these files by hand? probably. If you have a years spare time and the patience of a saint.

In practice I would say it's nigh on impossible to change all of these files, and get a working campaign, by hand.

Why?

1st it's very complicated. Just understanding the different file formats (BIF/TGA/LBM) is hard enough. Creating the template type files is nigh on impossible by hand.

2nd as the main file is 'Script.txt', the big problem with this file is that any simple error causes it not to show up in the campaign selection screen - and you won't get any error messages to indicate where you've gone wrong. As this file is the key toall otyhers, if it is;nt correct you don't have a campaign - regardless of the correctness of all other related files.

If you want a bit more info regarding the backfround and the inherent difficulties have a read of the stickied thread Changing the MTW campaign map in the Dungeon/Edit2 forum.

Whats the solution?
    -------------------

The solution was a create a utility that deals with the creation of new campaigns and automates as much as possible. This utility was originally called 'LukMapMaker' but is now generally refered to as LMM.

LMM does not just create the LukMaps. Rather it creates all the files mentioned and ensures that the inter-relationships are correctly preserved and the resulting files are correct.

However, LMM cannot 'wave a magic wand' and do everything for you. because this is a rather complicated area of MTW modding the user must provide LMM with the informastion it requires in order to create all these files correctly. Implicit in this is that the user must first have a basic understanding of the component MTW files, and then be able to relate this information (via a map with LMM features drawn on to it and several LMM parameter files).

Thats what this thread is intended to offer. the basic knowledge you'll require in order to understand MTW campaigns, understand LMM requirements and then know how to relate your own requirements to LMM in norder to create the desired campaign.

The Pope and Golden Horde
    -------------------------

Some considerations are important when creating a new campaign map. 2 such considerations are the Pope (and his constant re-appaerance) and the arrival of the Golden Horde. Can we avoid these MTW 'hard coded' events? Yes.

I won't go into details at this stage but have a read of the stickied thread Script files - canwe collect our knowledge? in the Dungeon/Edit2 forum.

Ok, enough for now. I'll add a bit more in future posts regarding 'Script.txt' files and LMM.

regards,
    Welly

(BTW - this is intended to be a Q+A thread, so if you have quesions please ask. Also it's intended to be basic so therefore there is no such thing as a 'stupid' question)

Maybe not fully on topic but I wonder if someone has actually changed the campaign map...

Changed the actual picture or are you stuck with entire Europe...

A Junior member wondering...because a byzantine mod would be fun...to make and play...
    visite

www.malazan.com

great site about great books

Oh yes they have. Just check out the Middle Earth: Total War mod. They posted a screenshot of the campaign map. Just lovely. There is a topic in the Dungeon about doing this.

Quote[/b] (LordChance @ Oct. 12 2003,04:34)]Maybe not fully on topic but I wonder if someone has actually changed the campaign map...

Changed the actual picture or are you stuck with entire Europe...

A Junior member wondering...because a byzantine mod would be fun...to make and play...
    Yes. Many people have.

You do it via a utility called LMM (it's on the Org - latest downloadable version is LMM4v1).

LMM creates all the files required (mentioned in this thread) for an entirely different campaign map. Hoever, it only at present support MTW 1.1 - NOT VI

The reason is CA changed all the campaign map stuff (basically the Script file parameters) for VI. Some people are successfully using LMM to create all the other files required (with work ok in VI) and then amend the LMM generated script file to work with VI - but it aint easy Barroca (for his SHogun/MTW mod) and Komninos (for his Hellenistic mod) have managed to do this ok - and maybe one or two others.

ShadesWolf is currently doing a similar thing (VI conversion) for his 100 Years War mod. In fact you can check out the thread here -

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....t=11393

as he has some screenshots of an LMM generated map for his mod. Note that this map is based on the original MTW map - but that does'nt have to be the case (Barrocas mapis based on SHogun - Komininos map is an entirely different, and very nice, Satallite image of Greece/the Med).

So if you want a new campaign for MTW 1.1 - it's relatively straightforward. If you want one for VI - it's a bit harder at present (I'll be putting VI support into the next version of LMM - when I get round to it).

Welly .

how do you change the province name?
    "Being clever is not being wise, but being wise is being clever."

Further Campaign map help needed: anyone know how to change the board pieces (you know the little knights and game piece type things)? I have modded the Burgundians into Scots, but the Burgundian shields and flags still show up connected to the pieces and castles. I'm assuming I have to do a file switch of some kind, but I don't know anything more specific.
    -There can be only one...

Quote[/b] ]2nd, the files 'factions map.bif' and 'factions map lukup.bif' are using the same technique. One is actually a map image, the other a template for that map image. Thats how, when you are selecting a faction to play in the campaign selection screen, MTW knows which provinces are owned by which factions.
    I don't quite understand this - I once fiddled a bit with the campaigns, but ONLY the startpos files, and starting provinces showed up correctly without changing anything of that... or does that file only say -where- province borders are on the small campaign selection mini-map?

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Exclamation

Could one of the EH Moderators move this thread to the Dungeon => Alchemist Hall? This thread is about modding, and I think it would be better to get everything together in one place instead of all over. And it will also remove another sticky

Thanks, Duke John

Moving as requested.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

If someone successfully compiled a campmap building guide it could possibly be the best guide ever. (in my oppinion).

Someone should really do this.

King of Macedon Member themonkey's Avatar
    I'm in jail, they said I need a ugly bloke to bail me,how long will you be?

Angry

I've used the Tutorial which I found in the Forum not the Dungeon
    Mainly what I want to do is to create a new
    Campaign Map but I haven't found LMM on any site but 3D Downloads,which had a 45 min Q.

Mainly the Map I plan to
    make will be a Enlarged map of Ireland.
    Macedon: Total War
    A modification for Rome : Total War

Macedon total War needs your help!,send me a PM if you want to help in any way!

Campiagn Map makers especially!

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

unfortunately LMM wont fit on the second server
    (i hate the queues too - and yes i actually use the download queues)

what i do, i get up a little early before work because that seems to be the quietest time of day for downloading (australia time) - usa is still early afternoon and the rest of the world is alseep,
    I click the link and see what length the queue is, then allow myself half that time, go shower, breaky, make a cuppa, iron my clothes - whatever...
    then check back and see what the queue is now, then i'll either go watch the morning news on telly - or if the queue is only a few minutes away i'll open another browser window and check online newspapers, read the forums etc etc until the download begins, then i can wander away - maybe go to work, maybe go out...

on a positive note 3D have announced they are trialing several new download methods - but i dont know how long they intend to spend to test them, nor what the final format will be, i only i know what they have posted on their website.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Creator of the Medmod for M:TW Member WesW's Avatar

I have written two long posts detailing the creation of the new map for the Medmod. I have just finished editing it, as I found that it had a lot of unclear or wrong information. It does not show how to convert the original lbm file that I have made into the other types of files.
    Here is the thread: http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....hl=wesw

I have BifReader, if that is of any use.
    I have made a Lukmap for the mod. The LukMap is not used, to my knowledge, but is just a copy of the LukupMap, which is used. I am going to read this thread from top to bottom again, but if I don't find the answer, please give me some help.
    Wes Whitaker's Total Modification site:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast