Thread: Pass-Protecting Games

Since now there is at least one alternative Stat set that will be played online, perhaps it is time to start a system to easilty avoid mixups.

Someone else had this idea in another thread, but I thought I'd make a thread about it and expand on it.

Basically, under the "system", you pass-protect any game you host. To get in, people know that all they have to do is type in the name of the stat set the game is using (like "v1.02" or "v1.03".. or even "STW2" ).

If the pass doesn't work, people know they're using the wrong stats.. they can ask the host, go and change out and be back in time for the starting bell.

This would almost certainly avoid all out-of-sync CTDs due to various Stat sets. It's much simpler and easier it seems to me than having to do a roll call before starting up, and booting a player who doesn't have them, and waiting for more people, or spamming the foyer every 5 seconds announcing that you're using Stat X to prevent this.

Probably you could get most of the community to voluntarily adhere to this system.

Matt

------------------
    Shogun 2 now available for download! Comes with a nifty version-switching program, so never have to break a sweat! Click here NOW!!

To read all about it, click here.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

I'd recommend taking it one step further and hosting all non-official stat games in another chat room altogether. That way, only those WITH the stat will bother to enter it. You could NAME the chat rooms things like STAT101, STAT103, STW2, etc.

I think this would be better because the games won't be mixed in with the general population... keep in mind others might want a password-protect a game just to keep annoying people out. They would then have a problem if the password system you describe alone is used. (Well, in all likelihood, at least).

***AND*** you can immediately get an idea of how many people in the chat room are currently using the stat by just looking at the attendance!

Can you password the chat room? Maybe that is the ultimate solution...

GAH!

[This message has been edited by Vanya (edited 06-06-2002).]
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]