Thread: Routing Route Rant (Not New, I Know)

Senior Member Senior Member Dionysus9's Avatar

I'd like to change the topic here...enough about troopstat files and patches. Something that 1.02 and 1.03 have in common that annoys me is this:

If you totally flank the enemy (switch places) and your men rout, they run RIGHT INTO THE ENEMIES RANKS!?

I thought that they were running away with the hope that they might survive, but I guess I was wrong.

If I could only get them to charge at the enenmy with their swords in their hands and with clean undergarments, I'd be in business.

The decision of WHEN to rout is handled VERY WELL by the combat engine. It constantly amazes just how well the game accounts for morale, flanking, rate of casualties, etc. I can almost see the pee-stains forming in my men's pants. (not that I was looking)

The decision of WHERE to route is handled VERY POORLY by the combat engine. When troops rout, they should run AWAY from the nearest/strongest enemy. If there is line of flight away from any enemy, they should take that...regardless of whether it sends them away for "home", or into "enemy territory".

A routing soldier's number one priority is to make it off of the field of battle without getting killed. From there he will hike back to his home, probably several provinces away.

How big is the battle-map anyway? Maybe 10 square miles?[far, far, less if you account for scale]

Do you think a soldier would run right through an organized enemy army just to save himself a 10 mile walk? Do you think he is worried that he might have to skulk around the edge of the battlefield to get back home?

I can understand the ease of making a single rule--routing troops run back "home". But in practice it looks friggin rediculous. I've seen my men refuse an order to make run for tree-cover, only to turn tail and run headlong into muskets and heavy cavalry. Duh?

At least they should run through the trees where they can hide, or make their way off the map as soon as possible.

Too bad 1.03 cant fix that problem.
    Hunter_Bachus

This has been much ranted about over time. All we can hope for is that they work something out for MTW.

Matt

Quote Originally posted by Dionysus9:

If you totally flank the enemy (switch places) and your men rout, they run RIGHT INTO THE ENEMIES RANKS!?
    [/QUOTE]

You're all right mate...hopefully it won't be there in M:TW - but in STW/MI geting 90 degrees with the enemy and position in his routing path is a wise and very good tactic.

------------------
    Proud member of Clan Kenchikuka.
    evil is within us...

It rewards encirclement and thus could be seen to represent extra losses for lack of supplies, desertion etc

Never laugh at the old when they offer counsel,
    Often their words are wise:
    From shriveled skin, from scraggy things

That hand among the hides
    And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

http://asatru.org/havamal.html

Yes, it shouldn't be THAT hard to have routing troops try to avoid the enemy. This is an imperfection to be sure.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.