Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334
Results 991 to 1,004 of 1004

Thread: Official Osprey thread

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: Official Osprey thread

I've only got a couple of Osprey books so far, both illustrated by Angus McBride, and I thought his plates were brilliant.

What I'm here to ask is if Osprey tend to do Christmas deals. I was thinking of buying a few for myself in the coming weeks.

Also, can anyone recommend any books on medieval Ghana, Nubia and Ethiopia, and also the transoxanian region for factions such as the the Khwarezmid Shahdom, Kara-Khitai etc. I've had a look through the site but can't really find anything on them.

At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

Anybody got any new books recently?
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I got 1 Today by Stephen Turnbull. Samurai, The World Of The Warrior. Very Good Book From Osprey/Stephen.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

30% off Ancient/Medieval titles this month, still a few days left...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Anyone have the funny history of warfare? I'm really interested in buying it, but I want some feedback about it first.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Just got some men-at-arms and elites given to me today, seems to be one about Sassanian cavalryman somewhere in the mix there.

I must say that I am rather proud of my collection now.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Osprey are bringing out a Byzantine Cavalry 900-1204 book next August, along with one I've been waiting for for years - a Galloglaich warrior (or elite, not sure yet) title. Its just a tragedy Angus McBride won't be illustrating it, this would have been absolutely perfect for him.

Picked up the War Elephants and Scottish Renaissance Armies books recently - excellent artwork in both, Turner did a great job with the latter.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Arrow Re: Official Osprey thread

Hehehe, I have close to 500 Osprey Books. So I won't even try to list all the ones I have. Oh, and I do not like Angus McBride. The human faces he draws are peculiar and some of his illustrations of the Roman Legionaries are seemingly absurd:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Oh, and also, if any of you who do not have such large collection of Ospreys want to see some illustrations of RTW-time period soldiers, just follow the link on my signature. I believe there are more than 200 pictures on that thread. All of them are from my collection.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Howdy,

I just bought my first Osprey book about a month ago; Campaign - 197, Amiens 1918. Still haven't read it yet, I'm slogging through other books for now, but I'm looking forward to it very much.

If anyone else has any WWI Osprey books I'd like to hear what you think of them. I'm looking to buy lots of Osprey WWI books over the summer. One I want but can't seem to find anywhere is the book on the Renault FT-17 tank.

I've read that some of you guys have hundreds of Osprey books. That's quite a library. (Must weigh a lot.) I figure I'll have a dozen or two by summer's end. Amazon's gonna love me.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Any good Ospreys on the medieval English armies of the 13th century, and also French and German?

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Hmmm, quiet here in Ospreyland.

Have bought a few more in the last while. Managed to find a copy of "Kaiserschlacht 1918" at Amazon (as opposed to the used copy some bozo wanted about $50 for on Ebay). Also got "The Blocking of Zeebrugge" from their new "Raid series". Good stuff.

They just came out with a new version of their book about the early Renault tanks. Will get that one soon.

What I'm not crazy about is that many of their new books are down to 64 pages, some are even 48 pages, but still full price. Gross.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Quiet here indeed.

Any news on some interesting upcoming titles from the Osprey house?

Proud

Been to:

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Like many people who have posted here I must say Angus McBride's plates are certainly the highlight of Osprey books, however I am very sceptical of the information contained in the main body of text after I read in "Rome's Enemies: Gallic and British Celts" that the Iceni were listed as a Belgic tribe, an idea for which there is no linguistic, archaeological or historical proof.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

So it's been a while with this thread, with the last post being done 9 years and all but I thought I would give it a shout now that my Osprey collection is about 40+ books now and going close to 50+ territory.

All of this has been due to pretty much this thread and the overall influence of TW games but I really appreciate my small collection. More to come of course, hopefully I will get to 100 - 120 as I have an extensive list of Osprey titles that I still want to purchase.

Some of the newer ones are fabulous - Byzantine Cavalryman and Sassanian Elite Cavalry are excellent titles.

Proud

Been to:

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334