Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Term Mercenaries

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (katank @ June 08 2004,19:07)]really? you always use em mounted? I always use them dismounted as foot knights seem too good to pass up.

60 men cav would be interesting.

do you use them as pure flanker/rear attack?

do they actually seemt o rout the enemy faster than 40 cav?

maybe I'll give them a try when mounted.
    No no, they suck pretty hardcore. I always use my cav. for flanking unless I screw up, but by the end of the battle there is usually about 12 left and they have like -2 valour since they constantly routed. But hey, its cool since there is 60 of em and they have axes...I have a thing for axes.
    To win without risk is to have victory without glory.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

yep, axe wielding cav is a new one for me too.

I think it's hard to pass on FFK

besides, CA probably created druzhina for use purely in dismounted form as it filled the important gap in the Russian roster of no swords.

halbs just don't quite cut it when you need good attacking inf.

FFK, on the other hand, are swords beyond your wildest dreams, esp. the 60 men variety.

I swear that there is just about no way to counter 960 fully upgraded FFK which is easy to field if you use the druzhina.

How do you tell if a province has the "Mercenary Resource" ability? I didn't even know there was such a thing..

To answer the question, I always hire the troops that I can not get otherwise (Non-Catholic units when playing Catholic and so on). I particularly like to hire the Horse Archer units as they are very helpful as flankers and can also run down enemy troops once they are routed.

Eigi Eru Enn Allir Jomsvikingar daudhir
    (Not Yet Are All the Jomsvikings Dead)

I dont even know how to dissmount, come to think of it....how do you do it?

And I dont find FFK all that effective...I got a crap load of them when one of my former procinces rebelled, giving me 3 stacks of crusade style troops. My FFK did very poorly against arab infantry, and nubian spearmen. This is in Medmod btw.
    To win without risk is to have victory without glory.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

@ rockhammer.

only medmod has merc resource stuff

don't worry about it unless you are playing medmod.

if playing vanilla, just put up an inn next to a busy front that's not very developed.

@ ragss, at the beginning of the battle before you hit begin, you can right click the cav unit and hit dismount/remount this should be clickable if that unit is capable of dismounting in this battle and greyed out if not.

in medmod, the stats are changed and nubians and arab inf both got buffed IIRC.

in vanilla VI, 60 men FFK own

I rarely keep mercs. I buy them for an invasion. keep them a turn or two until I can stabilize my lines and then disband them. Repeat as needed to avoid high support costs.

I use Mercs as little as possible, organ guns I buy without fail but otherwise I prefer to make do with what my faction provides me with. I am usually thinking long term when I am playing and so mercs do not appeal to me, they fight they die and you cannot retrain them, my men on the other hand can be merged and retrained so I end up with high valour men who don't cost an arm and a leg.

Arty is usually worth it as there aren't too many men to begin with so upkeep aint so high. ragss How can your FFK's lose against arabs and nubians, they are TANKS they rockk. I play medmod as well but find that the FFK's own all

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12