Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Siskinies

thracians are a good faction

2 of the historical campiagns are missing descriptions

cheers to a great mod
    Nothing interesting here, Move along folks

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Playing as Sparta on expert in the late period. Great game but i think the two factions around it Athens and the one between all of Spartas provinces( i forget the name) need a bit of Strengthening because they can be defeated easily.
    I'll report back later. Love the battering ram. Genius

Hi all and thanks for the input,

CrownOfSwords for the Spartans, I will look in to it though Spartans will have any unit in the game for breakfast with the exception of the Pike units (Yficratian and Macedonian Phalangites) in late and the Argians and Thebiabian in High. Both Yficratian and Phalangites will fight Spartans very electively. The Argians and Thebian will be able to cause major problems but at the end they will loose. A good trick to fight Spartans is to use your peltast effectively. Try to send them forward to hit these Spartan units then retreat them behind the hoplite ranks as support to the hoplites. Spartans were the big bad wolf in the battlefield but they were not invincible. Mesinean were capable to bit them back more than a couple of times.

Romfeofori, are really great unit. They are not meant to take a full frontal assault from hoplitic units but they can move fast and cause horrifying damage. The Peoneans have an advantage with them. The Thracians use the same weapon for elite troops, they use some armor and a small shield. They can be considered a prelude to the Legionaries

Elephants, I was not confident with Elephants and if it were not for flip I would not have used them. I think I should make them mercenary only unit for the Persians. Elephants were extremely vulnerable when fighting against units like Hoplites or pike units. Hellenistic kingdoms used ground forces to protect them. As with the chariots Elephants get rely high charge values (9 is maximum) but there small numbers can be there doom. As Chariots they should be really expensive that is why the chariot was phased out when cavalry units became effective. There are sources stating that at the support cost for a chariot they wear able to have three horsemen I have found that pared with cavalry units they can do wonders.

ElementUK, The massive farm income of the eastern provinces is there to reflect the vast empires they had in the east. As far as the support cost for Lydian cavalry I can have a look but the rule of thumb the support cost should be about 20% of the unit cost/ year. I think it is less but I should look in to it.

Don’t know if Zimoa has sent you all the weapon calculation matrix it is interesting to have a look at it I would like some input on that too.

BTW. After the HTW is finalized and out ... we will all try to have some vacation and plan for the Bronze age TW. Don’t worry it will not be like Troy the movie where Vikings with Greek names attacked some sort of Easteners that had the same gods with the Greeks and both Sparta and Mycenae were sea cities

some of the historical campaign desicptions are strange and weird

in cyronea your phillp the II i think and it say's do not be defeated by phillp the II and alexander the III later known as great

Ok a small correction you can do already, it will be corrected in future updates of course but you can do this easily by hand.Go to this HTW file by default it is in here:

C:\Program Files\Total war\Medieval - Total War\campmap\GameEnd

Here you will find some .Bif files select these:

FN_01_WIN untill FN_14_WIN .Bif files

,so that are 14 files

Now Cut and Paste them into the Hellenic folder and overwrite the 14 ones that are in that Hellenic folder.So put them into this folder:

C:\Program Files\Total war\Medieval - Total War\campmap\GameEnd\Hellenic

CZoF

Because HTW is a total conversion and the old MTW games will not work anymore you can easily delete these files after installation to have a exclusive HTW game(optional):

In the campmap\startpos folder:EARLY,HIGH,LATE,VIKING and TUTORIAL Text Documents.
    In the Battle\batinit:the Tutorial Map.
    In the Battle\batinit\Historical Battles folder:the Battle of Bannockburn,Hastings,Stamford Bridge and Stirling Bridge Maps.
    In the Battle\batinit\Historical Campaigns:the Barbarossa,England 100 year war,France 100 year war,Golden Horde,Richard and Saladin Maps.

CZoF

so far so good... playing as illyrians, no bugs so far to report... i've noticed some people complaining of the weaknesses of dacian faulxmen, i for one think they're fine (maybe even a little too strong). i was able to defeat a hoplite unit head on, in flat terrain, with a dacian rhomo..howdoyouspellit..fori in a wedge formation.. they also are a terror if you get them on your flanks...

here are some things i have noticed
    1 argian and corinthean colors are too similar, it is easy to get ships and diplomats confused..(ie. whoops i just assasinated my allies emissary, sorry about that merchant ship incident). plus i liked the old argian colors and their banner looks sort of funny now.
    2 spartan and aetolian color schemes are even more similar than those above
    3 what is the "jet" resource in dacia (just curious)
    4 my main issue as far as playing the illyrians goes, is that most of their infantry share the same animation, they all look alike... dacian rhomo..uh..ori, heavy slinger, light slinger, northern warband, illyrian tribesman
    even if you just used some old units to mix it up it would be better (duke johns old slinger, or even toplessloon for illyian tribesman, or something like that).

overall, however, the game is fantastic and bug free so far.
    Always check first page of this thread for model updates.. and page two for Faction updates...

This mod is great so far. The new colors and the new images are perfect.

I have only seen 3 bugs so far, but they are not troublesome, only annoying. I have not had any CTD or graphic glitches yet.

1: Sometimes when you try to fortify a unit in the stat. map and there isn't enough room, the unit will just disappear but will reappear 1 or 2 turns later.

2: Sometimes when you construct a building, you will get a building destroyed screen instead of the building completed screen. Ex.= You build an INN but when it announces its completion it will say 'INN DESTROYED'. That building is not destroyed and does get built, so it isn't really a problem. It doesn't happen to much and usually only at the beginning of the game.

3: I attacked Athens at the very beginning of the game. I got the 'Athens have decided they can't win this fight and are retreating' screen. However, they don't retreat, they get defeated. If it is their last area, they should put up a better fight.

I noticed that the neutral factions (The rebels) will build the most powerful units that area can build and lots of them (usually two or four full armies). Not much of a problem unless you need to expand early in the game. I wish I knew how they can build and field such a large force when they only have one or two countries. Must be a secret.

The battering rams don't really do much. If they make it to the wall, they can only hit the gates and then only have a 1 in 3 chance of doing anything. Usually they just sit there and you have to order them to attack several times before they do.

As someone else mentioned before, a few of the factions colors are to similar. Nothing to bad as you can tell by their shield image who they are.

I wish the computer didn't build so many ships as it can get fairly messy. But it isn't a big deal.

The build times for the buildings are perfectly fine, but personally I would like to see the build times for the units to be raised. I usually build up a large force to quickly and can't support it.

I will add more when I have more time.

Now for some suggestions:

1: I don't know if this is possible but I would love to see champion units of one person (like the single guy units in STW). Maybe two champion units can fight before the main army clashes and the winner wins the whole battle? (Like in the beginning of the movie "Troy").

2: How about a second campaign with mythical units such as: Centaurs, hydras, giants, pegasi, and virgins..etc.

Can't think of anything else right now. Thank you.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill.

Few suggestions, find yourself a good artist and have em draw up some new pictures for certain announcements such as: Succession, General's Rank Raised, castle siege, siege fallen, battlewon, battlelost, shipbattle won, shipbattle lost. Cant think of anymore atm, but this would give the game much more of a Hellenic feeling. Also some of the new buildings ive noticed like amphitheatre and such that show no bonus for building them, should be given if possible like a bonus to happiness of citizens in the province.

Enough of the boring stuff now for all of you Wheel of time fans out there I just fought the exact battle like the one between the Seachan and Rand near Illian in the forest lol.. Forgot the name of the province it was fought in, but the map seemed to be just a giant forest with a big hill on my side, and the numbers involved were 1,500 macedonian phalanxmen, 500 companion cavalry against a huge Athenian force of 15,000 men include hoplites cavalary and they even had a bunch of siege engines.. (catapults and ballista's who kept sneaking up on my and blowing the hell out of my formations)

I formed my infantry up on the hill at first, and hid 3 units of companion cavalry in the forest. Who were very usefull running around taking out catapults and ballistas during the battle. Well after the initial fight (who of course my Phalanx'es won considering they are all rank 6 or higher from many many battles against Illyrian and Thrace. I lost grip on my guys as they chased off after men through the forest, only about half my guys were still on the hill while the rest were battling all over the map. From here on out it was like finding enemies just popping out of nowhere and I dont think I could find 3 of my units anywhere near each other if the Athenians were smart they would've taken advantage, but being stupid AI they fought the same way I did. By the end of the battle 6,000 dead Athenians were spread out all over the forest along with only 300 of my men, and another 3,000 Athenians captured. I think after I killed their king (thanks to my hidden cavalary) A couple thousand Athenians didnt even show up.

Second best battle ive fought in Medieval total war, first was with Napoleonic Total War which numbered 20,000 Prussians and 50,000 Ottomans.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Spartacus @ May 30 2004,03:11)]this is a general bug, chariots and elephants should have the sword symbol when attacking not the archers, make them attackers not speedy smirskers
    Sparticus,

The Chariots us ing the Arrow instead of the Sword symbol when attacking is not a bug It is simply the result of them having Javelins to throw which they should do. Then when the Javelin's run out, the symbol returns to the sword.

Nuke the site from orbit...only way to be sure (Reese-Aliens)

well at least decrease the ammo for them they have loads make it 3 javelins it will be more realistic

We are working on a charge chariot so we will have a missile one and a charge one....

CZoF

Wooow …
    1. There might look to be way to many missiles BUT this is because not all units release there shot at the same time There might be units that release there missile in a next hit. That is why the Polemiste that have only one javelin though 2 and some times 3 times. The thinner the formation and better the line of sight the more missiles will be used per shot
    2. At this date chariots had a dual role. They were archer platforms and charging vehicles. That is why they have both we are tying to find a way to make them a lot more aggressive than before. The Persian Skythed Chariot might end up as only Charging Chariot.

CrownOfSwords, the interface is under development by our Graphic artist ... Flip.
    As far as the Buildings are concerned they all do something. But I have to formulate it in a way so that it will be presentable.

Frodo Lives, no we can’t have heroes and forget Troy the Movie. They don’t work well. I have tried them in the past with Trojan TW.
    I have not seen disappearing units yet but this might have to do with TW not HTW.
    As far as the battle with the Athenians are you sure that was there final ground??? It is very strange and again TW not HTW related.

50% of chariots be archers and 50% be charging chariots

also elephants and chariots need new unit bifs or icons whatever they are

for bronze tw i want to talk about it over pm i have some ideas and predictions

Im beta testing the Thessalians
    in high/Archanic age (where i started campaig).

Hmmm, its rather hard to play when you get whiped out so fast, im playing normal and i have even used the cheat codes so i build faster to get maximum upgrades.
    Money is no problem at all, i easly get 100k.
    I try to expand as fast as possible and ive tryed just building army, not expanding so much.
    I GET SWARMED attacked by 20000 troops pr turn by different faction, is not fun, and im talking about im only played max 30-35 rounds.

I played 5 times.
    BTW is not even the macadons who are the problem, i always ally with them. they just easy take the whole northern half. maybe they should be powered down.

anyway i will continue testing.

I have made some Screen shoots of possible errors, where should i send them?
    -Brian Bergh
    Email and MSN: brianbbj@hotmail.com

To all testers when sending ingame pics(F2 button in game and the will be in the TGAs folder).

Convert the in-game TGA's to JPEG format use IrfanView or whatever program you like,put them in a .zip or .rar file and send them to me, please with a description of what you believe is wrong.

CZoF

To all testers never use cheats for testing pleaseThey can give bugs and are so not vey usefull in Beta tests...

CZoF

i only used the cheat codes the two last "trys" to see if that would change anything, NO that did not help.

Count do you have an Email adress to send those pics to?
    -Brian Bergh

sorry for spaming:
    Flag/city position bug picture:

http://www.image-dump.com/image.php?x=13113

-Brian Bergh

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (komninos @ May 31 2004,06:27)]Frodo Lives, no we can’t have heroes and forget Troy the Movie. They don’t work well. I have tried them in the past with Trojan TW.
    I have not seen disappearing units yet but this might have to do with TW not HTW.
    As far as the battle with the Athenians are you sure that was there final ground??? It is very strange and again TW not HTW related.
    I am sure they all died. They had two areas, the main country and one across the sea. I captured the second one first and then attacked the main country on the next round. I got the "the computer has decided it can't win and has retreated" screen, and then I got the "The Athens king has died on the field of battle", and I got that country without a fight. I have never seen it before so it may have been a fluke. Not that I am complaining because Athens was stronger then me. It would have been a messy fight.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill.

So uh... you accepted me as a beta tester () but never mailed me.
    That darn beagle

@BB
    I did but i get a fault description using your old mail address so post me a mail with a correct mail address and you will get all the info you need ASAP

CZoF

Playing the Lydians. Never built a Farm Improvement or any Trade building's. Taken about 4 provinces and have a few ships. I never have to even think about money as I'm the wealthiest already ?
    Btw...when were Catapults invented and other Siege Engines. I see the interesting looking Battering Ram's but have not had to use them yet.
    Nuke the site from orbit...only way to be sure (Reese-Aliens)

Well you have a point there the economical game is reduced to nothing with these high incomes,i personally liked finding the balance between dividing your money between your army, building out your economics or infra-structure.Kom this is a point we should think of?

CZoF

Got a report back the MP money bug is still there....
    But the MP games seem to work fine

CZoF

Yes, you like? Member Zanderpants's Avatar

Okay, I've been playing as the Corinthians in the Archaic age and as of yet, no problems with the campaign. However, I tried to start a custom battle with me playing as the Persians and the enemy as the Thracians in the Classical Age. I had Immortals, chariots, and a few Elephants and the Thracians had Romphoroi(sp?), and some Thracian Cavalry. I picked out all of the units, and started the battle, but before it got to the load screen, CTD. No error messages popped up and I just started HTW back up and it did the same thing when I tried again. No idea what that could be....
    The standard Hoplite is too strong I had my Hoplites clashing with other standard Hoplites, and I charged them from behind with my Epetes and they continued to win easily. Maybe reducing the moral and defense bonus a bit might help.
    Also, I haven't checked out the Unit Prod files yet to see where it stands right now, but I think that Chariots should be suped up a bit, they're supposed to be the big bad guys out there and they just get their ass kicked.
    Also, this isn't a bug, but on the unit review panel on the campaign map, the trim on the review board covers up the unit honor and men strength when on top.
    Other than that, great so far. It's awesome.

"Study from the past if you would wish to fall asleep"
    Variation on Confucious.
    "Tell a lie enough times, and it becomes truth."
    ~Joseph Goebbels
    "******* hell are you all 20 watt light bulbs...?"
    ~Abokasee

Please post me a list of the units you picked for both the Persians and Thracians seems to me it is a unit battle icon,but most likely a misspelling that causes the CTD...

CZoF

@CZF

OK, try this one: It's a hotmail account, though. Peter_r_deane@hotmail.com
    That darn beagle

hi just to update. I had some excellent 2v1 games with Lord Blood and Lord Thin. Our last one was a siege and we played in our factions, no upgrades Etc. I was the mug who had to defend with my Argians. I was up against the Beotians and the Macedonians and surprising I put up a decent fight. That was last night, I did notice the florin money bug and thought it played great. Today I had battles with Lord Thin on Flat maps, he was the Macedonians and he promptly kicked my arse all round the battlefield, did notice that on the start of deploying as Defender all the units were placed on top of each other in a narrow vertical line. Then I had a load of CTD's while trying to play Lord Blood. We thought we would have a fun game so we selected 20,000 florins LBG was the Macedonians and he selected 2 Cav (Companions), 6 Phallanx, 4 Peltast and 4 Creton Archers. I selected the Persians with 5 cav (3 heavy Lydian & 2 Persian Archers) 4 Sparabaras, 3 Immortals and 4 Lydian heavy inf. This was on flatinland35 map and we had no Valour, Armour or weapons. Then after we had finished the screen came up with the thick red bar which moved a little then CTD. We picked the same Armies again and another CTD. Then we tried diff factions but same map, another CTD. Then a diff map and yet another CTD. Can't understand prob there. We are fighting later to try again.
    It's the taking part that counts.

I changed my mind about romfeofori, those little buggers have given me so much trouble now, I put up a valour 6 macedonian phalanx against a valour 5 romfeofori, phalanx won with 29 men left.. never seen a battle that brutal and ive already beat Sparta dead. Did the Athenian enomtia hopilon disappear havent seen it in the last age. I also have an idea, since I can only make my macedonian troops in my 3 first provinces then it should be possible to make Spartan hoplites if I conquer Sparta's main states in the unit training I should be able to Train those types of men. And it should be the same out of everywhere make it more accurate instead of just having hordes of the same hoplite.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast