Thread: Rivers, archers and teleportation

I was playing last night (a campaign game) and my archers started teleporting one by one to their final desination.
    The group started walking there, brushing the edge of the river, and when a man hit the edge he would warp to the final position. While this suited me quite well, it was also quite odd. Has anyone else seen this happen on rivers or any others edges?

Also, later in the battle (while my men were still forming up for the push) His small, and heavily outnumberd and out equipped force started to come across to attack, thus ensuring their loss. I was playing at hard so I doubt it was just ropey AI. Any suggestions on that?

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

Dinna fash yesel....hehe...I havn't seen the teleport but the Banzai attacks, I have.
    Are you using V 1.12? That pretty much ended the suicidal Taisho. But when attacking, the AI seems not to know how to give up when it's lost. The fine line between aggresiveness and suicide is oft times overrun.....

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

respect. How does someone from Hawai know that?

It is v1.12, I have noticed an improved sense of self preservation in the heid bummers but the big man wasn't involved in this battle.

Is he insulting us, Shai?
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

It does seem odd that the AI, who will have the brains to retreat, sometimes within the first minutes of combat, never gives thought of flight in river battles. I have never seen the AI run without sending a couple (and often several units to their doom. Nay, as the overwhelming defender, I often have to run them off (or the clock out)! It's almost like the computer is programmed to attack at all costs regardless of odds and composition. Have you ever seen a HC unit go from 120 to 11 men in one round of gunfire! Impetuous... steady... running away... FUN!

------------------
    March swiftly to where you are least expected, and attack where your enemy must hasten to defend.
    March swiftly to where you are least expected, and attack where your enemy must hasten to defend.

Baka...Nay, no insult was intended. (Tho, how does one insult a guy who names himself Idiot/Fool? hehe)
    I think he just expected to hear 'Aloha' and the like from us.
    Til later, ALOHA! (from Da Kine STW Worm)

------------------

I THINK the AI has decided it SHOULD win the battle (river battle) because of the odds and thus isn't programmed to give up easily. I know that the AI usually comes with sufficient force to win Auto-Calc and probably that is a major factor in its decision making. Not his fault that the cagey Human keeps busting up his fine armies.

------------------

Indeed, no insult given or intended.

I am curious though why/ how a braw expression like dae fash yersel would make it the grass skirted islands you bide in. Maybe its just a suitable sentiment for those lucky enough to lead the laid back coconut eating lifestyle your islands afford.

Do you know any others or is that the range of your scots?

Mahalo for clearing that up, Shai, but I think I just forgot to put a in that previous post.

And to answer your question, John, I think it was carried over by a swallow. Same way you all get your coconuts. The question is: was it African or European?

Okay, now I feel like I have to get on-topic. As I understand it, the AI is supposed to be programmed so that each daimyo (and possibly each general... at least as a function of honour) has an individual "personality". So it could be that your opponent was either an especially impetuous Daimyo or simply a low-honour, unskilled general.
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!