Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Diadochi

Default Re: Diadochi

I am aware of the meaning of "beta tester".. I was one of the testers for HTW.. There is still alot of things to be done before any sort of beta testing will begin... If I use any, they will probably be people who have contributed to my mod in some way or another.. I will list some opportunities in the near future..

Heroes will be included and I will list all of them with their factions at a later date... probably in the sections just above this post.

Now I need to get back to work
    Always check first page of this thread for model updates.. and page two for Faction updates...

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Great faction descriptions! Absolutely great!
    http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/D/Diadochi.asp
    Basic Diadochi
    http://www.fortunecity.com/underworl.../engraphia.htm
    Battle of Raphia
    http://xenohistorian.faithweb.com/neareast/ne06.html
    History of the Middle East
    Last edited by Marshal Murat; 08-10-2004 at 23:57.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

WOW...

1000 views and counting

thanx everyone
    Always check first page of this thread for model updates.. and page two for Faction updates...

Your welcome!

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Your Welcome and, thanks for your efforts :)

Non Playable Factions

Those other guys that are going to be out to get you

Armenia

Army List

1.Heavy Cavalry(HC)
    a.Armenian Cataphracts
    b.Median Cataphacts................. with control of Media
    c.Albanian Cataphracts.............. with control of Albania
    d.Hibernian Cavalry................... with control of Iberia

2.Cavalry(Cv)
    a.Heavy Cavalry

3.Light Horse(LH)
    a.generic light horse
    b.horse archers
    c.Alan cavalry......................... mercenary unit.. (will define later)
    d.Median Horse Archers............ with control of Media established
    e.Armenian Horse Archers
    f.Arab Horsemen...................... with control of Arabia
    g.Arab Scouts......................... with control of Arabia

4.Pike(Pk)
    a.Pike Phalanx......................... must control Syria

5.Auxillary(Ax)
    a.Hibernian Longchophoroi.......... must control Iberia

6.Psiloi(Ps)
    a.archers, slingers, javelinmen
    b.Armenian Archers
    c.Albanian Archers................... control of Albania established
    d.Albanian Javelinmen............... control of Albania established

7.Blades(Bd)
    a.Arab Warriors........................ control of Arabia
    b.Immitation Legionaires............ with control of Diadochi Home Province (ie. Aegypt, Babylonia, Thrace..)
    Last edited by alogic; 08-21-2004 at 07:26.

Kyrenaica

According to Greek mythology, Cyrene (Kyrene) was the daughter of the naiad Creusa and the mortal Hypseus, king of the Lapiths. Apollo fell in love with her and took her to Africa, where he built her a city (called Cyrene), in the region that came to be known as Cyrenaica in eastern Libya.(Introduction copied from Fanaticus site)

Army List

1.Pike(Pk)
    a.Regulars...................... Lots of initial building requirements
    b.Household Infantry............ same as above + longer production time

2.Spears(Sp)
    a.Kyrenean Hoplites
    b.Greek Mercenaries
    c.Thorakitai
    d.Iphikratean

3.Auxillary(Ax)
    a.Euzonoi
    b.Militia Theurophoroi

4.Psiloi(Ps)
    a.archers, slingers, javelinmen
    b.Libyan Javelinmen

5.Heavy Cavalry(HC)
    a.Household Companions

6.Cavalry(Cv)
    a.Greek Cavalry

7.Light Horse(LH)
    a.generic light cav
    b.Libyan Light Cav

8.Chariots (SyC)
    a.Four-Horse Chariot........... non Scythe (Skirmishing type)
    Last edited by alogic; 08-21-2004 at 09:00.

Illyria

Bosphorus

Here is an opportunity to help out with my mod..... I need to find some banners (flags).. to represent my different factions...

See if you can find me or create me some good examples... give me some suggestions as to what faction you would like to see sporting which banner.

For instance i have a small pic of a horses head which I may use to represent the Seleucids... afterall Seleuces had a coin minted with an image of the horse he used to escape from Antigonus.. also cavalry will be featured to a larger degree in the Seleucid army than in the other Diadochi ranks.

At any rate.. any help in this area will be greatly appreciated.....
    Last edited by alogic; 08-11-2004 at 18:22.

Capitano del Popolo Member saundersag's Avatar

I have been watching this thread and your mod seems very interesting, i was just wondering what date the game will end. Because i beleive that they all remained for quite a while and they all were finally conquered by the romans. So i was wondering if you will include them as a faction and how long a period it would be. Best of Luck your pictures look great and i look forward to hopefully downloading it when you release a beta.

http://www.barca.fsnet.co.uk/seleucid-dynasty.htm
    Seleucid Family Line
    http://www.friesian.com/hist-1.htm
    Interestin Stuff

Also for Ptolmey wht not use some Heiroglyph for p, or pt
    Last edited by Marshal Murat; 08-11-2004 at 18:49.

Rise of Rome initial post

Thank you for your interest...

At this time the romans are not included.. this mainly has to do with the size of the map, and the limitation in MTW sets for the creation of graphical files that will represent the units in the game... I'm already going to be pushing the limit on this aspect.. I do however have plans... at a much later date.. to do a roman mod, dealing Rome's rise to power, and will feature aspects relating to the same time period as the Diadoch... It will feature the Romans, Etruscans, Aequi, Volsci, Samnites, Oscans, Tarentines, Syracuse, Epirus, Gauls (various tribes), Celtiberians (Early Spanish), Carthage, Nubia... I am waiting for the upcoming Rome Total War release.. to see if I can mod in this platform... and of course I would like to finish The Diadoch first.

The game (Diadoch) will run in turns... not years.. the actual date I have left vague on purpose... The object of the game is to reunite Alexander's Kingdom before the Roman Invasion (aka.. end of game) One of the reasons Rome had such an "easy" time taking out the Successors was that they were too busy fighting one another to recognize and react to the Roman threat.

One way that I might concede to using the Romans is if I can figure out the Mongol Invasion specifics to where I could have them arrive in the west instead of the east... then I would simply replace "Mongol" with "Roman"
    Last edited by alogic; 09-05-2004 at 23:06.

Murat

I especially like the second site included in your post.. I have seen it before but forgot to bookmark it....... Thanx

As far as the Hieroglyph goes.. sounds cool.. but what does it look like.. I've never seen it.

Here is another way to help me out.. I would like to get more information concerning the units used by The Hellenstic Greek Armies.. namely the Achaean and Aetolian Leagues...

Also keep looking for banners as discussed in earlier post

Here's some info on the Ptolemaic Egypt

http://www.egyptologyonline.com/ptolemies.htm

Here's the Ptolemite line

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop...a-VII-of-Egypt

Ptolemaic rulers and consorts
    The dates in brackets are regnal dates for the kings. They frequently ruled jointly with their wives, who were often also their sisters. Several queens exercised regal authority, but the most famous and successful was Cleopatra VII (51 BC-30 BC), with her two brothers and her son as successive nominal co-rulers.
    Ptolemy I Soter (305 BC-282 BC) married Eurydice, then Berenice I
    Ptolemy II Philadelphos (284 BC-246 BC) married Arsinoe I, then Arsinoe II Philadelphos; ruled jointly with Ptolemy the Son (267 BC-259 BC)
    Ptolemy III Euergetes I (246 BC-222 BC) married Berenice II
    Ptolemy IV Philopater (222 BC-204 BC) married Arsinoe III
    Ptolemy V Epiphanes (204 BC-180 BC) married Cleopatra I
    Ptolemy VI Philometor (180 BC-164 BC, (163 BC-145 BC) married Cleopatra II
    Ptolemy VII Neos Philopater (never reigned)
    Ptolemy VIII (164 BC-163 BC, (145 BC-116 BC)Euergetes II (Physcon) married Cleopatra II then Cleopatra III (Kokke)
    Cleopatra II (132 BC-124 BC) Philometora Soteira, in opposition to Ptolemy VIII
    Ptolemy IX Philometor Soter II (Lathyros) (116 BC-107 BC, (88 BC-81 BC) married Cleopatra IV then Cleopatra Selene; ruled jointly with Cleopatra III in his first reign
    Ptolemy X Alexander I (107 BC-88 BC) married Cleopatra Selene then Berenice III; ruled jointly with Cleopatra III till 103 BC
    Berenice III (81 BC-80 BC)
    Ptolemy XI Alexander II (80 BC) married and ruled jointly with Berenice III
    Ptolemy XII Neos Dionysos (Auletes) (80 BC-58 BC, 55 BC-51 BC) and Cleopatra V Tryphaena
    Cleopatra V Tryphaena (58 BC-57 BC) ruled jointly with Berenice IV (58 BC-55 BC)
    Cleopatra VII (51 BC-30 BC) ruled jointly with Ptolemy XIII (51 BC-47 BC) then
    Arsinoe IV (49 BC-41 BC) Ruled part of the Ptolemaic Dynasty's countries and married her dear brothers, Ptolemy XIII and Ptolemy XIV
    Ptolemy XIV (47 BC-44 BC) then
    Ptolemy XV (44 BC-30 BC)

Here's some info from the Battle of Cynocphalae

http://www.barca.fsnet.co.uk/cynocephalae-197bc.htm

It really doesn't describe the troops so much but, does state the Roman army used Phalangites, Peltasts, and, Cavalry from the Aetolian league.

Also the knowledge that the Phalanx was weak if they were flanked is probably valuable but, I'm sure you know that.

The Aetolian League was friendly with the Romans, and gave them support troops. Sparta stayed with its Hoplites, and Helot Auxillaries.

http://www.barca.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm
    The URL is a general ancient reference. Go to Places and Maps, go to the bottom of the page, and it has Empires after Alexander.

http://www.geocities.com/christopher...antigonids.htm
    Antigiond Dynasty

http://www.quizland.com/hiero.mv
    Herioglyph Translator
    Last edited by Marshal Murat; 08-11-2004 at 22:39.

Ok... I've scoured the internet and I think that I now have most, if not all of my faction emblems/flags worked out... and I have to say that they are pretty.. bad ass... I can't wait to transfer them into the game so that I can take a look at them on the battlefield.. will get some shots up as soon as am able..
    Last edited by alogic; 08-13-2004 at 21:37.

see new picture of machimoi below... shield will probably be changed out.. Ptolemies fation color will probably be a lighter shade of blue.. everything else should be final.
    Last edited by alogic; 08-18-2004 at 07:56.

How about adding a dagger of some sort.

Machimoihttp://www.image-dump.com/view.php?m=1&x=17049
    Class:(Pk)
    SubCls:(Lv)

Attributes:
    1.Movement: Slow
    2.Turnspeed: Slow
    3.Morale: Fair
    4.Charge: High
    5.Attack: Good
    6.Defense: Low
    7.Armor: Poor
    8.Shield: Small

Special:
    1.Bonus vs Mounted troops
    2.May charge without orders
    3.5 rows of support
    4.Inexpensive to purchase and maintain (in relation to other pike units)

The Machimoi make up the Egyptian "Warrior" class, Ptolemy was reluctant to use them for fear of revolt... they gave a good account of themselves at the battle of Raphia.. In game, Ptolemy will find them most useful and will make an excellent supplement to his pike heavy armies. They will be the best of the levied pike units.. however, one must keep a close eye on them in battle as they are rated "impestuous" and may get carried away and chase after the enemy causing disorder in your lines...
    Last edited by alogic; 08-18-2004 at 20:36.

New Galatian Warband model is near completion.. just want to redo textures for clothing. Here is a shot from dbaol online showing their representation of this unit... my model looks very similar (helmet is identical and clothing/armor is very close.. will hopefully have a screen shot ready by tommorrow evening.

http://www.dbaol.com/armies/army_45_figure_1.htm

pick warband from army Galatian army list... I will also be using their images for Galatian Cavalry and Immitation Legionaires as reference for my game models.. so you can get an idea of what you'll be seeing in the future
    Last edited by alogic; 08-20-2004 at 08:05.

Here is a look at my new info-pics... I have decided to give them a playing card kind of appearance.. probably a little weird for some of you, but I like it alot.. The pictures will now give you a better insight into the units themselves as I have listed their attributes on the card..

Here is the example.. note that this is not the final version.. also the name and description are not enteed yet.. this is the reason for the weird error message at the top of the picture.. These will be added later.

http://www.image-dump.com/view.php?m=1&x=17158

Here is the key to the abbreviations found on the card

1.Name:(ex.Machimoi)
    2.Group/Subgroup:Pk(Pike)/Lv(Levy)
    3.CH=Charge
    4.AT=Attack
    5.DF=Defense
    6.AR=Armor
    7.MO=Morale
    8.MV=Movement (walk speed... run & charge can be calculated from here)

The abr. on the bottom of the card represent various bonuses, penalties, and extra attributes.. a dark shade=bonus or capabilty and a light shade=penalty

1.Sp=Support (ie. spears and pikes)
    2.Tr=Terrain (unit penalized in bad terrain)
    3.Cv=Cavalry (unit recieves bonus when fighting against mounted units)
    4.Rg=Ranged (unit capable of ranged attack)
    5.Fr=Fear (unit generates fear in enemy units)

Some of you may think the ranged category is obvious.. here are a few units you can guess on.. Iranian Lancers, Jewish Immitation Legionaires, Euzonoi, Elephants, Scythe Chariots, etc..
    Last edited by alogic; 08-20-2004 at 08:41.

Capitano del Popolo Member saundersag's Avatar

I think this is a good idea as it tells you about the units rather than the vague terms from medieval total war, and this will help people choose their units and to understand them as you said. Also the image is good and and it think fits into the era. This mod keeps looking better and better.

alogic:

Just wanted to say I think your Mod idea for this is great.

You appear to have a very good idea what you want in this mod, and all your work so far has been excellent.

Your "Playing Card" idea is brilliant!

And I like the detail of your units.

Please keep up the hard work - I'll be lookig forward to playing this mod.

With the movie "Alexander" due out in November - this mod will make for a great tie-in with it.

Cheers!

Thanks for the encouragement... nice to see that even with Rome Total War on the near horizon, I still have viewers here at my humble thread..... My wife wants me to take her shopping today...................
    ................so the Galatian Warband will have to wait to this evening... Having a little trouble with cloth texture and also chainmail is rendering too dark.. but nothing that I can't fix.. These guys will also have one of the coolest fight animations in the game (a really wicked sword swing) can't wait for everybody to see it.. anyways look for an update late this evening....
    Last edited by alogic; 08-20-2004 at 19:19.

Alright I'm back... just a little dazed from all the shopping ...but should recover soon enough to have that galatian wb ready.... I'll report back soon....

......... oh I almost forgot.. I will also be updating the faction army list for non playable factions.. you can find these close to the top of this page..
    Last edited by alogic; 08-21-2004 at 04:40.

Ok... here is the Galatian Warband as it stands... I will make adjustments later to clothing and armor.. (armor will be darker and more uniform.. clothing will have a checkered pattern)... I've had alot of trouble with this guy.. especially getting his clothing to conform correctly (you can see this around his ankles)... I am especially proud of the helmet.. I think I got it pretty close to that of the dbaol image (and this also took quite abit of work)........ sorry no in-game screenies yet with this guy, but I'm working on it.

http://www.image-dump.com/view.php?m=1&x=17223

Next.. I'll be redoing the uniforms for my regular & veteran Pikes as well as creating the first of the Agema (these guys are going to be super cool.. they will have helmets with either wings or tassels dpending on the unit... and will have thorax-style armor (cuirass)...

Will also be changing out the Pantodapoi Helmet.. will give him a more Eastern style appearance... also will make slight alteration to his clothing (increasing visibility of faction colors)

I would also like some input on the Machimoi shield type.. would you like to see an egyptian styled shield (such as the one on my info pic shot) or would you like to see the more historically correct round shield)
    Last edited by alogic; 08-21-2004 at 08:41.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast