Thread: how much does adsl cost

Cybernetic Samurai Member TenkiSoratoti's Avatar

mmm my downloading of MTW demo takes about 15 hours or even less and i think thats pooh, i heard some say they downloaded it in 10 mins (obviously with cable) but then i saw that some one had downloaded it in 45 mins using adsl mmmmm i said to myself.
    well im not a rich b****rd so i may not be able to afford sucha thing (as i am only 12 and only have a small amount of harvestings)
    does anyone know.
    I live in the south of england near newbury which is near reading which is near enough to london, i use a BT phone line and really would like faster downloads as i do download alot and want to have smooth gaming online.
    some one British preferably give me some advice plzzzzzz
    "The good fighters of the old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat and then waited for an opportunity to defeat the enemy." - Sun Tzu

I can?t answer your download question (however I am interested in the answer) but a way of getting the demo is to obtain a July copy of PCGamer magazine it?s not cheap at £5.99 but it has the demo on the covermount/disk. Please note this is a DVD not a CD.

cable is 40 euros in Holland (@home) in Middle Earth however, we can just use some magic and a palantir to see what's going on in the Sword Dojo :d.

and no I didnt read your pst.

------------------
    untouchable, unbreakable,elven spirit,Elven soul
    Abandon all hope.

Get cable if it's available. Much better IMO. DSL promises alot but doesn't deliver.

Matt

With the T1 connection at work, it took less than 20 mins to complete the down load of the demo.

With my DSL at home, I spent 1 hr to down load the demo. My connection is at average speed (not up to the advertising speed as the provider said).

Cable should be faster than DSL in most cases and should be available at about the same price (or a little more expensive). However, cable may not be available at all location.

I pay $50 USD per month for my DSL. Compare to the 56k connection that cost me $10, DSL is much better deal. With DSL, I can still use the phone while online and can do much more in the same amount of time.

Senior Member Senior Member Elrich of Gaul's Avatar

DSL as with Cable, has it's weakness's. With Cable, the more in your community who use cable, the slower your speed will be. There's never any constant. With DSL, it depends where you are in the telephone wire loop. What I mean is that every neighborhood had a master telephone box that supplies service to say... 100 homes. (example). Service leaves the box, stops at house number 1, then 2, then 3, etc..etc.. by the time it reaches house #100, speed is dramatically reduced. If your fortunate to be in the first 30 housed out of the box, it's worth it. Either way, once you on, you've got a constant. No variables to deal with. I downloaded the Demo in about 40 minutes with my DSL. I'm fairly close to the box... (first few houses thankfully). On DL test sites, I regularly hit between 850 and 1000 kb/s speeds. My cost.. $29.99 per month CDN.

------------------
    "I will follow you anywhere my brother, my captain, my King"

Elrich
    "Wake from death and return to life..."

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

For us here in Singapore, cable is still the better choice. Thought the ADSL service providers state 512Mbps, on average the users manage only to clock 300+Kbps *now that's bad*. Cable max at 1.5Mbps, though it a shared line, so as long as you dont access the net during peak hour *normally after dinner to 10pm*, the average speed I can clock is about 700kbps to 1.0Mbps, and after midnight, seem like I have the whole network to myself . And ADSL cost much more.

------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    headmaster of Shogun-Academy
    ------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

check out this site. I used it to clock my speed *not sure how accurate it is though*
    http://www.speed411.com/link.asp?link=corporate.htm

------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    headmaster of Shogun-Academy
    ------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Cant use cable bacause I live in huge townhouse complex and have personally confirmed all the people who live above/left/right/behind me are internt/televison dorks. I must stick to dsl.

It costs 69.99 US dollars per month, and I get 5 static IP adresses. I deduct it from my taxes as a "business" expense.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

I know that freeserve broadband is £85 for the broadband modem and £30 a month. At the moment installation is free but usually costs £65. Oh yes you need to have a bt phone line.
    I am great

Quote Originally posted by tootee:
    check out this site. I used it to clock my speed *not sure how accurate it is though*
    http://www.speed411.com/link.asp?link=corporate.htm

[/QUOTE]

not very likely that it's accurate...
    it didn't go under 450 KB, and I got a number above 600 Kb 4 times (8 or so tries)
    The top dowloadspee I ever had was 390 or so on a good server...Ussualy it's around 70 to 100 on a normal to good server though..

------------------
    Abandon all hope.

just had 4 tries which measured over 720 KBS, cant be right ,I have cable which only goes to 512 (?)KBS...

------------------
    Abandon all hope.

hi there, im from the midlands, uk and use blueyonder broadband from telewest. connection fee is £50 with a £30 a month charge modem and card inc. u can find deals were the connection is free. the only trouble is u need your street cabled use the location checker at www.blueyonder.co.uk
    you can also upgrade to a 1mb connection for a extra £10 a month.

LOL. Listen to this!

I live down an old private road, with 9 houses complementing it. The road is in dis-repair as no-one is prepared to pay the repair cost. I live with my parents still, so I have no real say in what happens to the road.

The phone line is in the air of course, as the council cannot dig up the road to put any cables down without our consent. And by that I mean EVERY house has to agree. Unfortunately my neighbour doesn't. This also means NTL didn't dig up the road and lay cables.

ADSL or DSL can't be put in. The phone lines are too old, being placed some 35 years ago when the road was built. We can add 2nd lines and such - but the government won't allow any new lines put in - all new lines must be put underground - I think that's the law. One day they're gonna say "All lines must be unbderground" and we will HAVE to let them dig up the road, or not have any phonelines!!!

Hahaha. An impossible situation
    I could always go next door and skewer him, but I think in the long run it would do me no good!
    So I'm stuck with a Freeserve Anytime/BT phoneline connection with 56k modem

------------------
    The Soul

"What people do to other souls
    They take their lives - destroy their goals
    Their basic pride and dignity
    Is stripped and torn and shown no pity....
    When this could be Heaven for Everyone
    Queen - Heaven for Everyone

MaJesticSoul Sakai

Cybernetic Samurai Member TenkiSoratoti's Avatar

mmmm same here i live deep in the hampshire country side i cant even cable where i am
    "The good fighters of the old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat and then waited for an opportunity to defeat the enemy." - Sun Tzu

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Tenkisoratoti:
    mmmm same here i live deep in the hampshire country side i cant even cable where i am
    [/QUOTE]

There is always satelite T1... You get a microwave dish, and aim it at a receiving tower somewhere. You get a T1 out of it with no wires.

If there is no receiving tower to aim it at, well then... that just sucks.

GAH!

But don't worry, your EM T1 won't fry your nuts and leave you barren and full of tumors. Thats an "urban legend".

GAH!

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]