Thread: A newbie would like to suggest something to his betters for a very sel

What I'm suggesting is a period of time one evening (or every evening, OK worth a try where STW newbies would go online and know there is a good chance they will get a game that will increase their skills, active training.

This would require experience players to participate and organise.

It would be a useful system for Clans to observe potential members, I know that Clans train their members but this would help in that process.
    New players could be notified of training periods.
    Experienced players hopefully would not be bugged by newbies that are no challenge to them at other times.
    There may be problems with time zones but this could be solved by several training periods.

It is obvious that several people who play this game spend many hours of there own time running these web sites. Tootee headmaster of Shogun-Academy runs a great site, which has given me the theory of what to do, I just need to get the practice. When I am up to a level where others can learn from me I would love the opportunity to help others in this way.
    (I have a good imagination and ability to see far into the future)

After all I keep seeing people post that newbies are the future of the game. I personally believe this would encourage new players to return.

As stated in the title I have selfish reasons for suggesting this however attracting and keeping new players can only help for the future of this game.

What do you think?

[This message has been edited by sasasaizo (edited 07-16-2002).]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!very funny rookie!!

It was not planned that way but if it brought a little pleasure into your life then it was worth the time, yes possibly a little too optimistic these days.

i'm sure they will get all the training they need if they jst go online and play. jst let's make sure we warn them not to get their hopes up too high since all beginning is hard and that there are some ********** who migh ruin their fun if they let them to.
    i didn't get any training when starting i jst asked various ppl for advice. playing with impy (1630 mori, imperij mori) in 2v2's worked out fine for me.

Hi Youssof
    How can you warn someone of anything in the chat room. They come, they go. My second game i was told to "ignore those little flags and dont put my troops next to them i forgot to turn them off"!. Funny how his troop were attracted too them.
    When you started how many ppl were playing? how many were willing to play you? Ive had two games but have been online and offered to host several times. I will stay but how many dont bother!
    Newbies can do the theory now how about some practical.
    Why change it was good enough for me?
    Well it may improve things.

@ GOD, oh no, not arslan???

@sas i watched my brother (tigerpuss/pussiecatofchaos/tigerasmodeus) play on shogun, then learnt of him. but when i play sum1, and they rn't as good as me (genuinely not just unluckily) i will give them tips. and my tip 4 u is try and play regularly, and if u get stuck just ask...

hey rookie i was kicked your brother ass so many times and if u wanna fight me someday (1vs1 in flat map of course)
    ask me and i will show u how is the real play in SHOGUN TOTAL WAR and yes i'm the great arlan!!!

I dont think i need say any more point proven one more notch on a ladder nothing learned!

Senior Member Hopefull Member MiniKiller's Avatar

japkillers, tigerpuss is ur brother! tell him i said hi m8, I used to be in his twin tigers clan.
    *Bows. Turns to return to darkness...bumps head...looks around, pretends noone saw. Dissapears in shadows while cursing at self*

I thought Japkiller and Japkiller's_back were banned because of his names?

------------------
    untouchable, unbreakable,elven spirit,Elven soul
    Abandon all hope.

Well, Sas, you deserve to have serious answer.

Look at people who seems to help the community here. They will help you online.

Long time ago, I played with people and said "I know you are good, I am newbie, give me one short advice at game end of how you think I can improve my game." I got good advices from good people and I still remember them. I am not giving out names here, fearing they would blame me for their sudden popularity...

Join multiplayer battles. Good players also communicate. Sometimes, they would tell you (risking hurting your feeling) if they see what you are doing will bring defeat.

Good players dont necessarily have high numbers beside his name. Some of them play exclusively friendly.

Politeness, friendliness begets same.

MizuYari

yes sasasaizo, start the game with just the idea to have fun, and learn where you can. i didn't get any training til i asked for it, so ask i see your point as something like a 'newbie night' on-line, and yes, that's not something that's likely to happen. a suggestion to just play and ask pointers when you see something you would like to know is all i can say.
    Looking out on the field of battle, seeing the twisted corpses of mine and my enemy's men, i wonder how we ever convinced anyone that war equals glory.

Well once the server is back up I'd be willing to play some games with you sasasaizo. I'm not the best player out there but have been playing a long time and have learned some useful things.

One of the best things can only be learned with putting time in playing and that is know your opponent. The shogun community is small *friggin server* so this applies alot more than to other online games. If you know how your opponent will organize and react on the battlefield you at least have one thing going for you.

You have made the suggestion that I'm sure many would have liked after being defeated time after time. My advice is the same as the others and I would definitley suggest joining big fun battles. If your allies bark orders at you don't be upset as in the heat of battle there ain't time for explanations. There are plenty who will offer advice.
    ....Orda

------------------
    " Send us your ambassadors and thus we shall judge whether you wish to be at peace with us or at war..if you make war on us the Everlasting God, who makes easy what was difficult and makes near what was far, knows that we know what our power is."

Thanks for the advice and comments i will be online as soon as the servers up and running.

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

I think your idea is good Sas. It takes patience to train someone green and new. Youssof has a point, going online and play the games over and over again is one of the way, but a hard way. A guide from a vet can always smooth the learning curve.

Many times the vets do not mind playing with newbies, and don't mind losing with a newbie ally. But the problem is that the mistakes made by the newbie were not convey to him, and he will take a long time to realise it.
    Be it bad control, bad reading of battle, etc. I bet many vet mentality is to play another game after finishing this one, who will bother to give pointers to the newbie? Maybe just a word of encouragement.

Maybe I have a good m8 and mentor who spent time showing me the various controls, literally in 1v1.. moving formations, making rushes, etc.. But somethings are hard to be taught, and like what Youssof have said, play more. And dont be afraid to experiment. I see some vet stagnant with a particular style of play, when the style serve them good 80% of times. Maybe they felt too comfortable to try new ways but losing while trying.

Cheers!

------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    headmaster of Shogun-Academy
    ------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by tootee:
    ... And dont be afraid to experiment. ...[/QUOTE]

GAH!

Best advice you can get is that summed up by tootee-sama.

GAH!

That holds true elsewhere as well. Ever wanted to "play" with 10 geishas at once? Do it! GAH! Then you will know if you liked it!

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

@arslan, hey man i carnt believe u beat my bro, i honestly carnt.

@minikiller, sure thing

@mithrandir, i keep on coming back! (i'm so annoying arnet i )

my brother carnt play s:tw now as his new graphics card doesnt comply, but i'm sure he will copy the m:tw when he buys it 4 my last b-day and christmas pressie....

tootee is right in what he says, might i add that doing it "the hard way" has an additional advantage: you get a 'feeling' for the game. in my first 50 games vets were friendly enough to give me the basics. after that i jst did it in the 'trial and error' way.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

"By seeking to learn from a teacher, you are bound to learn to make the same mistakes he makes."
    -- Vanya
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Quote Originally posted by Japkiller's_back:
    @arslan, hey man i carnt believe u beat my bro, i honestly carnt.

@minikiller, sure thing

@mithrandir, i keep on coming back! (i'm so annoying arnet i )

my brother carnt play s:tw now as his new graphics card doesnt comply, but i'm sure he will copy the m:tw when he buys it 4 my last b-day and christmas pressie....
    [/QUOTE]

I'm not offended by your name, couldnt care less, just thought you were banned...

------------------
    Just aded another post :D
    Mithrandir Poster of usefull information and entertaining posts
    Abandon all hope.

lol- well not to my knowledge....

God, u annoy me(whoops, not u, no, oh no, argh!)
    "U dare challenge the drunken ninjas!"
    Rokkaku of the Drunken Ninjas

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

JapKiller - lose the name now. We will ban you. You have been asked many times to come back with a new name. Last chance is now.

------------------
    “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.”
    —Samuel Johnson
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

Senior Member Senior Member Sir Kuma of The Org's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Shiro:
    JapKiller - lose the name now. We will ban you. You have been asked many times to come back with a new name. Last chance is now.

[/QUOTE]

The account has been deleted and i have E-mailed the poster to explain why. He can always register back on the Org with an acceptable name that respect forum rules.

Good call and Good job Shiro

------------------
    La vie est un don.
    What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger