Thread: Addition to the wish list

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

While we are all wishing out loud I would like to see better diplomatic features in this game.I'm not that familiar with Japanese
    history but there must have been a lot of dirty political and economic tricks employed by the rival Daimyos,unlike today of course. Does anybody know if it was common practice to hire ronin mercenaries to raid rival provinces just to disrupt or destroy harvests.It would certainly give the offending Daimyo "plausible deniability",
    avoiding out right war,"it wasn't my warriors
    must have been those ronin bandits".I mean isn't this what total war means.Not just battles between armies,but economic war too.Destroying your enemies ability to feed his troops can be more effective than beating him in battle.How about being able to destroy a mine,having a ninja or shinobi cause a cave in so that it must be rebuilt?Or
    poison the horse dojo water supply to disrupt
    cavalry production?Assasinate the sword dojo master to disrupt training?Sneaky and dispicable I agree but I'd be willing to bet tactics like these were used in the struggle for power.This is a great game but I feel it could be so much more.These type of features are what is lacking in Shogun and I think it would add to the replay-ability to improve these aspects of the game.
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

I'm with you on these. The tactical battles in Shogun are, of course, superb, and the strategic map is fairly good... but the latter leaves a bit lacking in terms of depth.

One of the changes I'd like to see is the ability to move armies through allied territory without breaking your alliance -- allowing you to envelope and cut off the provinces of your enemies without first having to seize one of your ally's pronvinces and disrupt the stability of that front. This would, of course, require a whole new method of "declaring war" on enemies... and also open up the possibility for extra-nasty double-crosses. Perhaps a new feature of the Emissaries would be "Seek Passage". The Emissary would be sent to one of the generals in the province to ask for permission to pass through the allied province, and the general would then reply to the player. Naturally, AI armies could use this feature. If passage is granted, the player would be allowed to move his army into that province on the next turn without breaking his alliance.

As for historical basis, I'm sure you could find at least ONE example of a Daimyo's army being granted passage by an ally.
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

Dirty tactics are the best! They are also very realistic and historical. When there are people fighting each other, there are dirty tactics. Look at most times in history.
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa