Thread: Help please for Newbie

I can't get past the tutorial which requires I move a small unit of samurai within a citadel from their location to a "flag" near the main hut or hovel or whatever. I drag them over with the mouse, but when they get really really close to the flag, an old man says I am not obeying orders and I should do what I am told. I tried it about 44 times and every time he scolded me. Apparently, the program did not recognize the appearance of the unit next to the flag. How come? What am I doing wrong? Bug in the game maybe?

Then I do another tutorial in which I have a small group of low-level warriors on a hill being attacked by a larger better skilled group, and I am supposed to defeat them. It took me 6 attempts before I got my men into a treeline on a hilltop in time to stop the attack and counterattack successfully. If the game is this difficult, maybe I will simply have my troops run away and I will become a dependent of some other lord... Any ideas??

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

LOL if you want a good idea wait for MTW to come out.

hhhmmm try to download the latest patch for the game. Which one are u playing by the way? original Shogun Total War? Or Warlord Edition?

Latest patch for Shogun Total War is v.1.12 I think, and you can get it here look around for a link on the ORG mainpage.

Oh and Welcome to the ORG nice to have you with us.

------------------
    Jaguara-Spoken like a TRUE SPAMMER Toda!

No Fear Legend.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Don't bother with the tutorial. As it is a bit buggy and difficult.

Play the campaign at easy. Set the unit default size to 60 (smaller units easier to handle)

Remember that your troops have morale and they won't fight to the absolute last man.

Try flanking your opponents.

Don't use archers in melee.

Don't charge cavalry at spears.

Read and learn, the online manual is useful as well. Play and learn.

Once you know the rules learn when to break them.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

I went straight for the campaign mode too. Pick up enough experience after a few easy campaigns. The easiest set up for me is SJ period with Shimazu clan at easy mode.

Also, come here often. I learned quite a lot from this forum. Read the (Old) Shogun Total War archives.

Here are some of my favorite tactics/trategies:

Fighting on one front is good. One smaller front line is beter. Expanse wisely.

When I am rich, I can do anything. When I am richer than the others, I can do better. Take good care of the economy.

It's even better when I can make myself richer and stronger while making the others poorer and weaker. So, if I am considering attacking my enemy, I will go for: a) Richer province to impose an economy difficulty on my enemy. b) Strategic location where I can expand my territory without expanding my front line.

When I can't defeat them on the battle field, I will send them some poisoned food. Make good use of Geisha and Ninja.

If there are spies, I will need a larger number of counter spy. Shinobi is best for counter spy.

Two little weaker guys can take on one big stronger guy. Two big stronger guys can sure beat one little weaker guy. If I have a chance, I will send two better units to attack one weaker unit.

If I can't win the fair fight, I will stab them in the back. Flank my enemy and remeber to protect my own flank.

If playing WE/MI: AI always leave the back doors open. Using the port to attack their rear provinces where defense is weak. Pillage if I can't hold.

AI is sophisticated but it's man-made so it's predictable.

[This message has been edited by pdoan8 (edited 08-13-2002).]

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by pdoan8:
    AI is sophisticated but it's man-made so it's predictable.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe if the AI was woman-made we would be going;

'I didn't see that coming'

'Thats not a very predictable attack'

'What, their Geisha had a tea party with my Geisha and now they are both spending all my koku , talking about how untidy I am, and gossiping about the sexual proclivities of my generals.'

'Why is their emissary bringing up my bad manners, broken treaties and attacks from another campaign?. How can a previous argument months ago be used against me now?'

'Warrior nuns on the run!, they are slaughtering my troops who coded this thing anyhow?!'
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

LOL@Pap.

I figured STW was programmed by a woman since it seems to be able to read my mind yet I never have any idea what's going on with the enemy, lots of lose/lose situations.

Quote Originally posted by Papewaio:
    Don't use archers in melee.

[/QUOTE]

There is a time when this is the smart thing to do, but don't worry about this yet Wrath. Learn how to move your army together, and then how to command different groups to move as the whole army would if grouped together. Then come to MP, as thats where you REALLY learn how to play this game. You'll get torn apart at the beginning, as I am still...but it will be more fun than not.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

I have several friends who have brand new top-o-the-line video cards and comps and the demo does the same thing for them. Meanwhile, I'm puttering around with an old piece of shit comp and the MTW demo works fine for me. ((JOE HOPE U GOT IT SORTED OUT))

Hopefully it doesnt turn my mates off to the game, but they all seem pretty pissed about the demos performance, especially Karash, since he was the one who introduced me to STW when it first came out (god bless him)
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Wrath of God:
    [B] ----I drag them over with the mouse, but when they get really close to the flag, an old man says I am not obeying orders and I should do what I am told.----What am I doing wrong? Bug in the game maybe? B][/[/QUOTE]

You are not supposed to drag them over with the mouse, but simply left click once on the flag. Of course you must have them selected. I fired up the tutorial and tried it with dragging and got the scolding from the narrator that you mention.

Quote [B]
    Then I do another tutorial in which I have a small group of low-level warriors on a hill being attacked by a larger better skilled group, and I am supposed to defeat them. It took me 6 attempts before I got my men into a treeline on a hilltop in time to stop the attack and counterattack successfully. If the game is this difficult, maybe I will simply have my troops run away and I will become a dependent of some other lord... Any ideas??B][/[/QUOTE]

When I was first learning the game, this second tutorial had me pulling my hair out too. I also tried to continue to maneuver the archers away from the spearmen, and had about the same rate of success that you had.
    That is the wrong approach.

The simple tactic here is to put the archers on fire at will and hold your position. They will take out quite a few of the yari spearmen as they approach. When the spearmen get about half of the distance up the hill from the archers, attack them by using "alt" key/left click. This is the way that you get archers to go into melee attack mode. You will lose a lot of men, but your superior numbers, and the fact that you are attacking downhill should turn the tide in your favor.

While seemingly simple, that particular tutorial contains a some very important key elements to mastering tactics in STW.

Cheers

------------------
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

[This message has been edited by Forward Observer (edited 08-15-2002).]
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.