Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wheel of Time - Total War (for Rome)

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default Re: The Wheel of Time - Total War (for Rome)

I think officers use the same stats as the unit they're apart of? Well thats what i assume as theres no seperate area to put in the officers details - i think
    Thats Why I hesitated. Do the officers in missile units fire. If so then you would have Warders lobing fireballs around...

As for handlers, I'm not sure if animals can fire weapons. I think you would have to make the Aes Sedai the Handlers, and the Warders the Animals, if you get what I mean.

About the Myrddraal. I think that in this game, units do not cause fear in specific units. You make them cause fear in cavalry or infantry or both. To make the Myrddraal cause fear in everyone, just make them cause fear to both.

Update about the campmap:
    I'm stuck. I made a few provinces on the West Coast, and made the rest of the World one huge province called Test_1. I got rid of all the factions exept the four roman factions. At first I got an error where it went back to the Provincial Campaign menu. That was an error in the name text files. I corrected that, and now the game crashes when I decide to load the campmap. Does one of the provinces need to be called Rome because this might be causing the problem. If there is anyone who knows a lot about the campmap files, could I send you what I have done, see if you can find the error?

Regarding officers, they don't fire missiles in missile units, so there would be no worry there. As for their abilities, my suspicion is that they just use the secondary attack of the unit they command, with all other stats the same as well. If so, then to make Warders as tough as they are in the books, Aes Sedai themselves would have to be powerful in melee; there is a case for that, given the potential lethality of their magic, as well as its protective and healing capability.

Hi guys,

As a fan of Total War series and Wheel of Time i'd be interested in playing this mod. I think somehow though you'd have to pick one of the novels in the middle like Dragon Reborn to form starting conditions.

A good Myrhdraal unit would be spartans in black robes.

WOT should be picked up by a game developer for this IMO.

yes you do need a rome, as well as a senate.
    thanks,
    dessa
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

Ok I now have a Rome and a Senate (I had one before), and I also found a couple of errors in the map_regions file. Now when I load the campaign, it goes back to the provinsial campaign menu. When I quit, I get an error that says there was an error at line 72 column... of the desc_strat.txt file. It says: Cannot create settlement at line 72. This seems to make sense as this is the file where all the settlements are set up, but I can't find the error. I've tried going to line 72, but thats in the middle of a settlement, and there's no error there. Is there any way I can find the error?

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    Ok I now have a Rome and a Senate (I had one before), and I also found a couple of errors in the map_regions file. Now when I load the campaign, it goes back to the provinsial campaign menu. When I quit, I get an error that says there was an error at line 72 column... of the desc_strat.txt file. It says: Cannot create settlement at line 72. This seems to make sense as this is the file where all the settlements are set up, but I can't find the error. I've tried going to line 72, but thats in the middle of a settlement, and there's no error there. Is there any way I can find the error?
    You have higher tech building than your city can support (urban barrak in a village)

I'll check that out, thx.

Nope, thats not it, but I did find another problem (I had called a province Rome not Latium) but I still get the same message. It must be another problem causing the error.

At least I know what file its in...

Myrddral, I'm maybe stating the obvious, but when trying to identify the problem line from the error message you were give, ie. line 72, did you discount any commented lines?

My guess is that the error will be a format issue, ie. a missing curly bracket or a misspelled label.

Try commenting out all the buildings, to help zero in on the fault. If it runs OK as an empty city, add each building back in one at a time until you get the error again. It's slow, but it works.

Another possibility, did you include the settlement within a faction, in this case the Senate since I assume that they're a mandatory faction for the game.

Try commenting out all the buildings, to help zero in on the fault. If it runs OK as an empty city, add each building back in one at a time until you get the error again. It's slow, but it works.
    I did that, I also reduced every city to a villiage and changed the population appropriately.

I also tried counting the lines. But it also gave a value for the column, I think it loads it as a kind of table maybe? I'll try again though.

has rome got the right number id.
    thanks,
    dessa
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

What do u mean number id

I have reduced it to its most basic form. There are now three provinces: Tremalking, owned by the Julii, Latium, owned by the Senate, and the rest of the world as one province called test_1 owned by rebels.

None of the provinces have ports (This was causing an error for some reason).

The game begins to load, gets to the end of the loading bar and CTD without an error message. Does anyone, know which files can cause this type of error?

I found a big error, in map_heights.tga, the sea colour was wrong. When I correct it, it CTDs when I click to start the campaign and does not generate a map file.

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

Was thinking, when it comes to military tradition and tactics in "Randland" you get the impression in the books that most of the "randlands" armies are made up by mostly cavalry. And with the RTW engine I think this could be reflected kinda well.
    As far as I know its first Rand that introduce the more organized infantry with help of Mat.

So in what way will this reflected?
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

I guess there will just be more mounted troops, but you have to remember that often in the Wheel of Time, a large part of armies are be mounted, but often dismount. In this, I don't think there is the option dimount before battle, so there will have to be units like Queens Guards and Dismounted Queens Guards as seperate units.

Not all armies are mounted, in Cairhien, what we see of the armies there, there seems to be a lot of pikemen as well.

I've been doing some work on units, to make a change from the depressing string of failures I've had trying to make the campmap.

I decided to do some work on some Aiel Warriors. At the moment, these are the best pictures I've found of Aiel warriors:

I’ll upload the screens of the aiel in game as soon as I sort out one problem.

I’m using PSP8 and the DSS plugin.

When I save the file, all transparency changes to white background. At first I though this was Ok, I thought the white would change to transparent, but no, the shields, which are meant to be round, have a white square around them. How can I correct this?

Anyway, I would now like you opinions on the Aiel. The different units will obviously be the different warrior societies. Here’s some ideas I had (some of them are from the book, some of them aren’t, if anyone has any other ideas/ corrections please tell me).

All Aiel warriors: can hide anywhere, very hardy, good moral, horde formation (unless I say otherwise)

Maidens of the Spear: very fast, light armour (hide buckler), short horn bows and spears. (To represent that maidens are often used as scouts)

Red shields: fast, better armour (larger red shield), spears. (Red shields often act as police)

Stone dogs: amazing moral (so that they never retreat), normal armour (hide buckler), better defence skill, spears (Stone dogs take a vow never to retreat)

Thunder walkers: Fast, normal armour (hide buckler), 3 heavy throwing spears, better attack. (Don’t know what they do in the books, so I though I make them hit hard and run)

Black eyes = Square formation, slower, much better armour (large square shield) spears. (Again, I don’t know what they do in the books, so I though I’d make them have a shield wall)

I have another surprise coming in terms of units, but that’s a surprise.

hi myrddraal,
    its very cool to have someone to make an whot mod, since i am a big fan of the books. if you ever need any help (concept or such stuff best, cause i cant do anything other...), say it, ill run...

to the aiel units: i'd rather use the water searchers (dunno the unit's correct names in english, reading it in german...) as scouts. one war-community could be a unit using bows.

will there be ogiers in the mod?

how will u use the senate?

what with the hailene?

Sephriel
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Sure about the water-seekers. I'm just throwing up ideas.

I don't think there will be ogier. Apart from maybe an ancilliary (sp?) might be oigier companion. They are too peacefull, and their stedding are too small.

As for the senate, someone had the excellent idea of making the dark one the senate, then making there be 3 trolloc clans as the romans. This would be good because then the objective for the trolloc clans would be to become Naeblis (sp?), and for everyone else, to destroy the shadow and take shayol ghul.

I'm not sure about the hailene and the Seanchan. Maybe they could start with a sea folk island, but with no money and no troops and at a certain point a script gives them loads of men. I'm trying to think of a way of including them.

If you want to help, anything you can think of. If you want to write and army list, or just a few units or even help with the modding, feel free. :)

@Lord Shand, you couldn't post those Myrddraal you did, I know it wouldn't take long to do it myself, but to be honest, I can be bothered

PS, for all those just reading this post, please see my prob in my previous post.
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 11-15-2004 at 15:18.

ok,
    when will the mod takes place in? before or after rand beeing claimed as dragon reborn?

what have you done already?

if theres a seanchan faction, they should have a ogier elite unit, like the daughter of the nine moons does have.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

I don't know really. It depends whats possible. It would be nice to make two campaigns:

One pre-rand era, beginning about 200 years before the fall of Malkier, and going all the way to the beginning of the Aiel War.

And one much shorter Rand-Era campaign. A 'what could have happened' campaign including the Seanchan Invasion, the black tower and Forsaken leading the shadow.

What I've done so far is some work on the campaign map, (Though I still get an error which I am trying to fix. Aes Sedai (see the first page of this thread to download them) and Aiel Warriors (see my problem above).

Good point about the Ogier.

As you can see its still in its early stages, so any help I can get is great.

yes, 2 campaigns would be very nice.

but what factions would a early campaign have? the kingdoms have not been them same as at rand's time.
    how many factions can u use at all?

suggestion for the rand campaign's faction:

Amadicia/White Cloaks
    Seanchan in Altara
    Tar Valon
    Salidar
    Ghealdan
    Murandy
    The Borderlands

The Good ones
    - The Dragon Reborn as senate (in Illian)
    - Aiel
    - Tear
    - Andor & Cairhien under Elayne
    - Perrin in the two Rivers
    - The Horde of the red Hand starting only with an Army or with some regoins somewhere in Altara near Salidar
    - Th Asha'man & the Dragon's Legion

The Shadow
    - Shaido in northern cairhien
    - Trollocs or some Chosen in the ... whats the name for the land around shayol ghul in english?
    - Shadar Logoth

The rest of the map ( Arad Doman and Tarabon) should be rebels to show the chaos going on at the moment (the whole dragon sworn croud). perhaps should even be Ghealdan and Murandy in chaos.

that is my suggestion...
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> < )

but what factions would a early campaign have? the kingdoms have not been them same as at rand's time.
    how many factions can u use at all?
    If you think there would be a shortage of factions then think again. Remember that when I said before Rands Time, I did not mean before the tolloc wars, I did not mean Manetheren etc. Remember that Lan was born just before the fall of Malkier. How old can he be? About 50 at most... 200 years before the fall of Malkier means that all the nations like Almoth and Caralain have vanished for about 300 years. Here are the nations as they would be in the early period:

Borderlands:
    Malkier
    Saldea
    Kandor
    Arafell
    Saldea

'Middle' Nations
    Arad Doman
    Andor
    Cairhien
    Tarabon
    Ghealdan

Southern Nations:

Amadicia
    Altara
    Illian
    Tear
    Mayene

Other Nations:

The Sea Folk
    Tar Valon
    The Aiel
    The Shadow
    - The Dark One (Senate)
    - Dha'vol Clan
    - Kno'mon Clan
    - Ahf'frait Clan

As for Rand-Era, in my oppinion, the more factions the better. Rand would start off with Tear and the Aiel Waste and the Seanchan would start off with the Sea Folk Islands they capture at the beginning of book 4. At the beginning, Rand would not be able to train Ashaman, but once he takes Andor, he would then be able to set up the Black Tower.

I think the Band of the Red hand should be a type of unit recruitable only to Rand.

What do you think?

PS. The land directly around Shayol Ghul is called the Blasted Lands, and the whole of the Dark Ones land is called the Blight, and the 'Horde of the Red Hand' is called the 'Band of the Red Hand'

what i think? it would be cool to have this many factions, but isnt there a limit?

and... phew... that'll be a lot of units to create and model...
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> < )

Awesome Idea! ~d

i would prefer one single campaign. just have the Rand Era as the final era.

But how?

How have tear suddenly declare for the Dragon and loads of Aiel appear in the City?
    How have Cairhien go into Civil War?
    How have the Seanchan appear?

It might be possible, using the same kinds of scripts used in the prologue, but right now I have no idea how to work that...

and... phew... that'll be a lot of units to create and model...
    Thats why I want all the help I can get. :)

If someone wants to really help out with this mod, I need someone to help me sort out my problem with the campaign map. If I could send it to someone then maybe they could have a look through the files?

*g*
    have never looked into such files...
    but if u want me to, i can look if i find something...
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> < )

Do you mean the prologue script or the campaign map files?

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast