Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Egypt

Default Re: Egypt

Provincial Campaign is with mods such as Rome: Total Realism and Mundus Magnus.

Not sure about EB, probably because I don't care.

Red face Re: Egypt

auto resolve in RTW:egypt is very tough i had 6 numidian spear ,4bowman ,2 nile spear, while defending city i lost to a selucide genaral????????????????

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aarya
    auto resolve in RTW:egypt is very tough i had 6 numidian spear ,4bowman ,2 nile spear, while defending city i lost to a selucide genaral????????????????
    Auto-resolve is not the way to go. According to the computer, their spies opened the gates, the general raced outside, ran through the open gate on the far side charged to the square and ran down everything in his path. Enemy factioneers can sometimes make Yoda look like a candy-ass....if the AI is wholly in control.

On the other hand, garrison work with the anachro-egyptions in Vanilla is pretty simple. You have bow units that are as large as peasants so you can pump up garrison numbers and wall defense simultaneously. Moreover, the upkeep on a Nubian spear -- which can for phalanx -- is DIRT cheap. 6 bows + 4 nubes + 1 cavalry give you a garrison force of nearly 1100 for a cost of 2200 denarii or so and many towns can do with a smaller garrison of 4 + 2 + 1! Once they have their archery ranges open, the Eggys should only build peasants for population relocation.

You can even build whole armies as a pre-set. Attack army takes town, retrains and leaves the next turn. Moments later, you arrive with the occupyer force of 6 Bow, 4 Nube, 1 Cav/Governor, and 9 peasants. Town suddenly bops up by over 1k pop -- all of them from Memphis/Thebes/Alex. Gets your conquests healthy and happy quick.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I am in the middle of a very successful Egyptian campaign, i own all seven wonders of the world, and im master of the eastern mediterean. all of this aside i was wondering if anyone else has had problems fighting heavy calvary with the Egyptians. i personally have found it incredibly hard to put down cataphracts and other heavy calvary, i do a normal strat, move up phalanxes(nile spearmen) then flank with everything i have. Then hopefully that takes out the tanks...(cataphracts).
    Anyways i was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion on another approach cause right now im stuck fighting pontus and Brutii at the same time and honestly im having more trouble from Pontus with load of heavy calvary than with the "civilized" roman army. BTW already elminated Armenia, and Parthia in bloody wars.
    "To foresee a victory which the ordinary man can foresee is not the acme of skill;...To Triumph in battle and be universally acclaimed `EXPERT` is not the acme of skill, for to lift an autumn down requires no great strength; to distinguish between the sun and moon is no test of vision; to hear the thunderclap is no indication of acute hearing...."
    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Use your desert cav, they are deadly.
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Chariots might work too. Particularly the heavy ones. Not that I've tried, but any and all cavalry seem to be positively allergic to chariots in RTW, and the buggers are easy to retrain anyway.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Mouth of the Beast within the 9th Circle of Hell.

Although video games are little more than a simple hobby of mine (as such I'm not very good at them), I would like to say a few words about my experiences with this campaign.

Since I was a woefully inadequate strategy game player when I first received this game, I looked on various webpages as to a concencus of what would be the *easiest* faction to play as. With the tutorial I only went so far as basic controls, and I felt I needed more hands-on experience.

Upon taking a concencual vote that took quite some time, I arrived at the insurmountable conclusion that this, Egypt, was by far the easiest faction to play as. I quickly modded my game so as to immediately unlock all of the individual factions, chose Egypt and set the game on Easy/Easy, and began.

Oh, how easy it was. I was able to wholly ignore my west side for the first 75 years of gameplay. With absolutely no skill involved, I managed to subdue the Selucid Empire within a matter of a few hours. I quickly began expanding into Asia Minor and finished off the kingdom of Pontus, again, with absolutely *no* skill involved. I took a brief break and consolidated the Middle East before pressing the assault into Russia. The Parthians and the Armenians quickly fell to my legions of diplomats and peasants as my Egyptian juggernaut (made entirely out of money) steamrolled Asia literally into powder.

About the time I finished off the Parthians, a new threat encroached upon my doorstep, this time from the west. Out of literally the blue, a large Scipii army approached my HQ at Alexandria. Suddenly, it struck. Luckily, I had one of my countless diplomats on hand and managed to bribe this strange army for the reasonable price of 100,000 gold. I brought out the army from Alexandria, which, likely as not, only really knew how to unscrew a few cabernets and twiddle their thumbs, and struck out into the Saharan desert. When I saw how weakly Siwa was defended I laughed in mirth at the pitiful fools defending it. I had a strange computer pull off a crushing victory for me, as by this time I had almost forgotten about the actual commanding of troops, since I had my money houses. I approached Lepcis Magna with that same army (consisting entirely of Pharaoh class units), beseiged it, and gave command to the strange AI. A shocking piece of news came back to me: my armies had been lost! Quickly and easily I formed a new army while my wall of diplomats kept the Scipii armies at bay. This time, I commanded my army of nearly 1300 men against a paltry 400. I was sure my victory would be swift and sweet. However, I lost. This loss showed me a painful reality I had been blind to up until that point: I had forsaken the basic points of the game. The bright gold color I so easily procured from my vastly wealthy cities had allowed me to bribe everything, taking away a part of the game that is critical.

However, I did manage to procure a more-than-basic knowledge of advanced units through this campaign.

In closing I would like to say that, even on Vhard/Vhard, I'd imagine this game to be terribly easy. If you don't want a challenge, knock yourself out with this campaign.
    But I might be lying.

In reply to two things:

1st. Desert cavs are light and not very strong and besides simple swarming techiniques its kinda a pain to rout heavy cavs, but to each his own. It wont work for me because im in a part of my campaign where i need to minimize losses of men and material(money).

2nd. I am sick of hearing this about Egypt being incredibly easy business. If you set the game at VH/VH, as i do, no campaign is easy. I have also found this campaign to be deceptively hard. Granted your first 40 years are a cape walk through the middle east, and possibly North Africa. But you will sooner or later find your armies outclassed in infantry and cavalry, the only thing you really keep a good showing in all the way through is arty and archers. thats just on the battlefield. On the home front, the middle east is a pain in the rear to keep quiet and profittable. I have often found myself having to slaughter 3-4 rebel armies a turn. especially the judean rebels, they always pop up every other turn and i find that to keep jerusalem in the green i must kill this mass of rebels, which means i must keep large useful garrisons everywhere. Also while bribing is fun, i find the ridiculus prices theses little tyrants ask for is far too much and not cost effective.

So in conclusion, Yes the Egyptian position at the begining of the game is incredibly favorable. You begin with some of the most prosperous cities, and there are many rebel provinces simple waiting to be plucked and milked of resources. But 100 years later, when you have swallowed up the Middle East and span Anatolia. You come up against a new a dangerous enemies; Parthia, Armenia, and Rome. Parthian and Armenian cavalry outclasses any calvary you have got. Roman legion cohorts out class your infantry. Now your stuck fighting up hill for at least 20-30 years. You find you must out smart your enemy and make as few mistakes as possible. Oh before i forget, Egyptian navy isnt too hot. You can only go up to the second class of ships with your native built ports, granted if you capture a Roman city you can access the decemeres.
    "To foresee a victory which the ordinary man can foresee is not the acme of skill;...To Triumph in battle and be universally acclaimed `EXPERT` is not the acme of skill, for to lift an autumn down requires no great strength; to distinguish between the sun and moon is no test of vision; to hear the thunderclap is no indication of acute hearing...."
    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Desert cav has a AP attribute, which makes them deadly to 'armored' units. Espiecially Catas. I know that from an experience, before 1.3, Egypt was so strong that it was banned from MP. All you had to do is get 8 Desert cav and you can punish loads of other cav.

Though, during my experience in playing VeryH/VeryH, it may not work. As the VHard bonus for the enemy is too much, and makes it impossible for any cav to match theirs. Though, may chariots can do some pain, as they're launching units and get a bonus VS cav.
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

I don't think those rattling anachronism get an actual bonus against horses per ce; rather, it seems that whereas infantry tend to mainly get knocked down only to get back up a moment later by an enemy chariot careening by, cavalry just dies. I guess the horses get their legs shredded or something. Fighting Pontus with Egypt convinced me that even Scythed Chariots *can* be dealt with by throwing enough Desert Cav and sword-toting Bedouin Camels on them, but the casualty rates tended to be fairly ugly especially in the first unit to make contact. Frankly, I prefer to send infantry against the buggers (Desert Axes seem to work well, and failing that Skirmishers).

At least the early-type javelin-carrying Eastern General cavalry tend to die pretty quickly against even Chariot Archers, though. I've yet to rumble with Catas so I don't know how hot the Egyptian antiques are against them, but I think I recently saw a Parthian stack with a few (prolly the ones they start out with, mind you)...

'Course, if you blitzkrieg to Asia Minor and Persia fast enough both Parthia and Pontus ought to be in shambles long before they can start sending Catas or Cappadocians against you anyway. And Eastern Infantry, Horse Archers and Pontic Cavalry don't really measure up against Nile Spearmen, Chariot Archers and Desert Cavalry (except perhaps on -/VH), I know that much.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

I'm currently having quite a bit of fun with an Egyptian campaign. I'm fielding nice mixed armies with the not bad cavalry, nile spearmen, axemen for hand to hand fighting and the good egyptain bowmen.

I have a screenshot of current map, I have spray painted where I will be heading next, basic plan is to control the whole right side of the map. This will mean eradicating the likes of Parthia, Scythia, Greek Cities, Armenia and Pontus. After that I will sweep down to Byzantium.

Oh btw, the Numidian province west of my capital Memphis, I do not wish to expand this way so I'm using it as a buffer zone so I do not have to go to war with Scipii.
    Last edited by Monarch; 01-07-2006 at 21:43.

Urban Cohort Fanatic Member Lanemerkel1's Avatar

after playing a campaign as them I would have to say one thing:

build Blacksmiths and spam Chariots and their sedecessors

that should do it

Quote Originally Posted by strike for the south
    If I werent playing games Id be killing small anamils at a higher rate than I am now

When u first begi your egyptain campgain, the lil intro movie for them shows spearmen and archers with black crowns on theirs heads like the pharoahs wear. Now is this a later development like the marius reforms? because i cant seem to find what unit they are.
    And he rose, and spoke forth, "Go my warriors, go forward to victory!"

They're the "old" Pharaoh's Somehtingorother unit skins; if you search the descr_model_battle.txt, you can find them puttering about in there (with a programmer note along the lines "new realistic skins, the cone-heads are reserved for the generals" around the new skins the game uses by default ).

If you want to use them it's a simple matter of editing the EDU so the appropriate units refer to those and not the new ones.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Strategic Goal:

Domination of Asia Minor, the Middle East, and the Eastern Med.

Strategy:

Block West, expand North and East. Establish borders at the Gulf of Sidra, the Cuacas Mountains, and the Eastern edge of the Map. Build up forces for further conquest Westward.

Campaign Tactics:

Go West old man!

Send out your faction leader to quickly attack Siwa with most of the forces you can scrape away from the garrisons and purchase in the Nile valley. This fellow then leaves Siwa, building watch towers at good intervals while traveling to the Western border of the province. Establish 5 forts and a tower to guard this border -- Libyan Mercs are dirt cheap on upkeep for this -- and then use the balance of your forces to conquer Cyrene. A second general should be sent out to build up Cyrene as a minor military base (to supply the field army necessary to supporting the forts).

The faction leader can be sent via ship to Kydonia and/or Halicarnassus to buy or conquer an outpost for the empire. Remember to queue up a good build pattern wherever you alight, since the bloke will pass on shortly after.

Send a Dip to Carthago overland. He should get there before the Romans, though only just.

Master the Middle East

Your younger generals should mostly go towards Jerusalem picking up cavalry and camel mercs and building command stars against rebels in the time-honored "whack-a-mole" fashion. Keep the peace with Selkies for now, grabbing Petra and Bostra and Palmyra to build up your trade empire in the Red Sea and keep attacks off Jerusalem. Sidon's garrison must be grown. Either Parthia or the Selkies will eventually attack you and begin the war you'll need to dominate the Middle East, so just build your strength and experience while setting up for this. Get lots of spys out to supplement any towers you build.

Both of these opponents are difficult, but will succumb to heavy cavalry/camel forces coupled with chariots and bowmen. You'll need to develop at least one siege army to handle Damascus/Antioch/Tarsus/Hasta.

Send dips into Asia Minor and Russia. Build more to bribe defend your Nile and Jordan regions.

On the Main

You start with few ships and you don't have the money to build more for some time. Use them carefully to get a dip to Greece and later to sneak over your faction leader and perhaps one more general and/or dip for Asia Minor.

Build powerful fleets to crush the opposition after consolidating the Middle East.

--TBC
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

A couple of add-on points:

Dealing with Rebels:

Always scope them out first. If they're peasants, skirmishers, or eastern infantry they are prime targets for your generals to rack up stars. If they are bowmen - 120's, then buy them! You can't get bowmen easily for a few years and the buy-overs come to you dirt cheap. Be careful attacking rebels with lots of camel archers or archer -80's; your generals will get murdered by enemy archers far too easily (something about the bulls-eye on their chariot).

Building Garrisons:

Don't build peasants unless you must. Bowmen-120's are great for numbers and for defense and you Nub-Spear boys are just as good as militia hoplites and just as cheap. I typically get 3 Nubs, 1 Nile, 1 Axe, 3 Bow, and 1 Des Cav for most cities. You can replace everything but the Nubians with bows if your city is nowhere near the front.

Fighting Pinkies:

Use an all-cav/chariot force, or cav and bowmen if you must. Parthian cavalry is a tough opponent, but you can handle them if you have enough of your own. Parthian infantry is just fodder for your troops. They can be tough in a siege as long as they have enough bows, but have no staying power once it gets to the hand to hand.

Fighting Num-'nads:

They'll come at you with a mix of spears, missile, and cavalry. Never engage quickly, but make them come after you (defense) or flank them. You'll end up fighting their cavalry first, which is good. Once you kill off their cav, the spearmen aren't mobile enough to tear you up. Remember, though, that their spearmen have good morale and will not fold up like Parthian infantry.

Fighting Selkies:

You'll need a mixed army here. Their infantry can break you, and they'll have elephants as soon as they can field them. They also have scythe chariots that they love to mow you down with. Their missile troops are pretty standard. Use mixed tactics on them where you can. Your goal here is to engage their cavalry with yours (your units are bigger and or using camels) or draw their cavarly onto a unit of your cheap slingers (who're lined up in front of the spear-boys) and then use your surviving cavalry to hunt their missile troops. Their infantry is slow but deadly, so let your numerous bowmen chew them up (then send in the axemen as they get close if you have axes). Stay mobile against his phalanxes and your bows should winnow them well. Draw elephants after a cavalry unit and run them until tired, then bow them into running amok. After that, camels and javelins do well at killed tired, amok hefalumps.

TBC (as I learn more on taking out the tough cavalry forces of Armenia and Pontus).

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My strategy for the Romans is "strength in numbers."

During my 50 year war with them, we fought everywhere from Sardinia to West Africa to Byzantium and the main reason why they were finally destroyed is because I had the superior resources. Once the former Parthian and Seleucid territories are yours you are pretty much rolling in the cash, enough to keep up with the ridiculous amount of bribing that you will do.

The type of troops generally differs from region to region, but when invading Italy and Greece (which should be solidly Brutii by the time you invade) you're going to be doing a lot of siege work so I recommend skimping on the cavalry and instead loading up on the infantry and artillery/archers. The reason for this can be explained in my short story "1st Battle of Tarentum."

Pharoah was pleased. The Italian invasion was going splendidly. In a four-pronged attack, Capua, Arretium, Croton, and Patavium had fallen to his mighty armies. Now he was personally leading the army of Croton to Tarentum, setting off the second wave of attacks.

Everything would go great. His army was designed to excel in the field of battle. Several units of his best Pharoah's Guards would pin the enemy down while his personal archers would rain death upon them. Finally, his chariots would chase down and cut apart those who survived. This had worked extraordinarily well in Sicily and in front of Croton. He saw no reason to believe it wouldn't at the gates of Tarentum.

During deployment, Captain Wah informed Mighty Pharoah that the Samnite Mercenaries would only take up one of the two siege towers. Pharoah, annoyed, replied:

"Of course I know that. And one of my Guard Units will occupy the other tower."

"Actually sir, they're phalanx units. They don't go up siege towers. Your Bowmen will occupy the other one."

This was a foresight that Pharoah had not seen. Making an executive decision, he decided that at least one unit of Bowmen would fight in hand-to-hand combat to open up the gates for the rest of his grand army to enter. As the siege towers neared, Pharoah felt elation. The Brutii would finally be kicked out of Italy. But when the towers hit and the men climbed out, something was wrong. They were... losing.

In desperation Pharoah sent his remaining Bowmen to fire at the Romans on the wall. However, their constant volleys were not enough. The Roman leader, displaying wisdom, loaded all his men up onto the walls, thus providing no rest for Pharoah's noble troops. Pharoah sent the Bowmen, now out of arrows, up the towers to desperately finish the job. His elite infantry and chariots could only watch as they saw their comrades get slaughtered on top of the walls of Tarentum. Pharoah wisely called the attack off before he lost all of his archers. The Romans jeered as the once-great Army of the Pharoah withdrew, the siege broken.

As you can see, there's no point in having great infantry if they won't fight. The Egyptian armies were not built for siege combat. This army was one of my favorites, seeing as how their makeup had annihilated several Scipii and Brutii full stacks. However, they didn't have enough siege infantry (ie Desert Axemen), and had zero Onagers. They were pretty much doomed the first heavily-defended city they hit.

In case you were wondering, I resumed the siege of Tarentum the next turn (this time with Desert Axemen) and sent them all to the walls at once. The gates were opened and my Chariots mopped up the Romans inside the city. The Second Battle of Tarentum was an Egyptian victory.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Egypt.

Main Strengths (apart from the Treasury) are the combinationschariots/axeman and bowmen/spearmen.

The chariots of course are countered easily by spearmen and coin for coin spearmen of the lowest order are going to rip apart your chariots. However in the world of paper-rock-scissors the Egyptians have the axemen. These guys rip apart spearmen and don't take many hits in return. With the right priests and other characters you will be able to heal up in minor amounts of wounded easily enough. As there are plenty of phalanx's to pick on the axemen will return their cost quickly. However they are expensive to keep around so they should be in the frontlines or in a city that is in need of defence just like mercenaries. While the phalanx's get chewed up by axemen your chariots are free to chew up nearly everything else.

The Egyptian bowmen are like the longbows of MTW. Great range and hit hard, and they are easily accessible. I'm not a huge fan of archers in an attacking army, however I always have a few to move enemies off strong points and hit hard hitting but poorly armoured troops. They are great value for money. They are like all bowmen vulnerable to cavarlry attacks. As such defend then with spearmen. The spearmen of the Egyptians are not great, but they are better then speed bumps.

I typically set up with a line of 5 spearmen units who are closely supported by two units of axemen who sit on a flank. Then towards the center will be two units of archers. Two more units of spearmen will be behind on the two flanks so that they can counter flanking cav. Behind all of this sits the general and missile cav/chariots. On the opposite side to the axemen the melee cav/chariots will sit these will move out to the far flank and hopefully draw out the enemy general and/or outflank and hit the enemy missile troops.

SsSsSsSsS
    .AABB
    SsHQ....Ss... CC

With a city specialising in Chariots, another in Bowmen and a third in Axemen. The rest supply low grade spearmen. I try and keep the axemen producing city as close to the front that I will attack on.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

RTW V1.5 VH/VH No mods

Against most factions this tactic works well.

On vh difficulty the enemy will not easily rout. So the Egyptian archers gain experience at the full rate rather than the much reduced rate they would get from killing routers. Experience is earned fast.

Against horse archer enemies the tactic becomes more aggressive.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

whenever i charge my chariots into seleucid battle lines most of them get killed. Am i doing something wrong?

Charging chariots isn't great. Just get the Light (missile) chariots and you can take on the Seleucid lines without much trouble.

That's GENERAL Drusus Magnus! Member Drusus Magnus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal99
    whenever i charge my chariots into seleucid battle lines most of them get killed. Am i doing something wrong?
    Charging cavalry, but especially chariots, head-on into a falanx will instantly kill alot of your troops. I assume you will be fighting a lot of militia hoplites or maybe levy pikemen in your Egyptian campaign. By charging chariots into their sides or backs you will easily rip them apart. Just don't go headon to a falanx unless you're doing it with a falanx yourself.
    [POST COUNT IMPROVED]

Chariots are mobile missile platforms. Move them to enemy flanks and rear for shots into unshielded infantry. Do not stop when fighting close. Keep moving. Those spikes on the wheels are deadly..but only if the chariot is moving.

Early Seleucid forces of militia hoplites should not be charged until their morale is low and you are out of arrows. Make the arrows count by only shooting when you have a back shot. I favour the archer and general chariots over the mellee chariots.
    Regards

Deleted..double post Sorry.
    Last edited by Severous; 06-21-2006 at 00:18.
    Regards

Egypt Imperial Campaign -Vh/Vh-RTW V1.5-No Mods-Large unit scale

Egyptians beseige rebel held Bylazora. Over the end of turn another rebel army appears and rebels launch an attack on the Egyptians. Fools. Did they not take into account the 2nd Egyptian army that would act as reinforcements ? (thats a serious question by the way)
    --

Brrrrrr. Its cold in the snow.

Barbarians with bare chests get bonus in the snow. Whilst the better clothed Egyptians get a bonus in the Desert. So will the egyptians be penalised in the snow ?
    --

Rebel Peltasts will skirmish away from an approaching enemy.

So down hill, in the snow, against the skirmishers backs, the Babarian cavalry should do well. The Peltasts morale is going to be poor. Frightened by both chariots and fighting a cavalry unit, insecure flanks, and about to suffer losses. Will soon rout.

General was blowing his horn to steady the Barbarian Cavalry. They suffered a few casualties and are a unit with fragile morale. Egyptian chariot general will go after the rebel general who is unwisely in the peasant unit.
    --
    (Edit: image deleted as it was lost by Imageshack)
    As the rebel hoplites in phalanx will slaughter chariots you have to be careful. To keep the chariots away from the hoplites I will turn on the 'keep your distance' icon. The chariots will run away from the phalanx.
    --
    Shaken and tired the three Rebel Peltast units are going to be mowed down by the Chariots.

But chariots must not stop. Peltasts might have a bonus against Chariots. Peltasts also have height advantage in this situation.

Giving the Chariots orders to run to a point on the other side of the Peltasts will keep the chariots moving. Keep repeating the order to force chariots to break off combat.

Its working...Just as well as the rebel general is charging. Chariots knock down more troops than they kill. Those knocked down troops will stand up and fight again so dont get suckered into thinking the Chariot charges are man killers. They are not that effective at killing during a charge.
    --

Egyptian bowmen are great. They can also use fire arrows like the Romans.
    Edit:Image deleted - lost by imageshack
    One Bowman unit uses regular arrows (greater killing power), whilst the other uses Fire arrows (less kills but big morale impact).

--

Massed missile fire, and the threat of so many enemy has routed the phalanx.

--

Bastarnae has a bonus in snow. Egyptians might be penalised in snow. So Egyptian commanders may be well advised to hire mercenaries with snow bonus when they go north. Not that it matters when all the enemy are routing.

--
    Egyptians dont need to worry too much about fighting in the snow.

Hope those shots and comments provide a few pointers to prospective Egyptian commanders.
    Last edited by Severous; 02-01-2007 at 22:33.
    Regards

An Egyptian battle from the last turn of my vh/vh Imperial Campaign

--
    My forces are exactly outnumbered 2:1 yet the battle odds are nearer 3:1 against. The computer rates the Scipii as better troops than my Egyptians.

--

There is a rumble heard. The inhabitants of Messana look nervously at the volcano Etna. But no. It is the Egyptain army on the move.

Masses of mounted troops race uphill. They are claiming the high ground for their chariot archers use, plus going to attack the small Scipii reinforcement detachment entering from Messana.
    --

No finesse here. Charge !

Kill these troops before the main Scipii army can come to their aid.

Equites routing

Starting to attack the principes rear

Principes routing

The General is routing...as are my Nubian cavalry. I dont rate them as much as the less advanced Desert cavalry. Come on kill that general..he must not escape to regarrison the city. Good. He is dead.

--
    Resting. Letting the Scipii come to me now. Like to see them kicking up dust. Tires them out. Organised my forces and watched my poor Nubian cavalry rout away being persued by roman cavalry.
    --
    Nubian cavalry rally. Suffers more casualties from shots but has drawn away a part of the Scipii force.

Decide to lead the Roman missile cav down to my missile infantry.
    --
    Foolish AI. Its sending its overall general to attack chariot archers that had been annoying it. The chariots would lead the Romans into dense Egyptian forces and combat. And death.

Thats a reduction in Scipii combat and morale scores.
    --

The Scipii are starting to hem the Egyptians into the side of the battlemap. So all forces being ordered to run out of the corner.

One cav unit ordered to kill routing Roman cav, it touches a Scipii infantry unit which also routs. Is this the start of a chain rout ?

No. I bide my time as the Romans are not yet exhausted.
    --

Meanwhile the Nubian cavalry has lured the roman cavalry to missile troop who start to take a toll. But too late to save the Nubian cavalry who are routing again

Now the romans rout.

--

Main cavlary army is out of the corner and waiting for the Romans to continue their attack.

Chariot archers take a toll whilst the Scipii army reforms its battle line.

--

Scipii infantry get a bit too close. Run the cavalry/chariots back a bit ..quick.

--

Roman Cavalry auxillia chase the chariot archers...who have desert cavalry nearby which is ordered to assist.

--

Three more scipii units rout.

Going to hold back on the all out charge a bit longer. Let missiles continue to kill.

--

Missiles now causing routs. Time, at last, to make one big attack.

Charge!

Come on break them. We want those distant units to break as well.

Thats it ...now kill them all.

--

Last edited by Severous; 02-01-2007 at 22:37.
    Regards

Egypt is easy, even on vh/vh. Those bowmen slaughter evertyhing...

I started by sending any availble troops to greece. The Selucids didn't bother me for at couple of years, so i was able to build an army before they started attacking me. Right now, they are annoying as they have small stacks besieging my cities, but not really a problem, and i just took Antioch and Damascus.

My Greek invasion is going splended. The Greeks have been driven from greece, the Macedonians are now protectorates, and the Romans have been tought a lesson and is being pounded back into Italy.

My main problem have been getting bowmen reinforcements to greece, but now both Sparta and Corrinth are producing.

The moneyflow is about 12000 - 15000 per turn. All cities are buildning, and most producing armies. The only real problem i see, is if Numidia attacks.

Back to the thread. Go straight for Greece. Not only is there a lot of money, it's also a strong base of operations. And who can, early in the game, match a phalanx/bowmen defensive stand? No one, not even the almighty Romans! 8 x 240 men firing arrows.... DOA! :D

// ATE
    Proeliator adepto defessus of bellum ocius quam vagina
    - ATE, 2006

Forgot the screenshots ;)

Bowmen reinforcements, think they will be used to raid Rome itself
    Proeliator adepto defessus of bellum ocius quam vagina
    - ATE, 2006

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Scipii in Greece?

By the way, how do you destroy super-heavy Roman infantry with Bowmen? Do you set ammo to unlimited?
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius
    Scipii in Greece?

By the way, how do you destroy super-heavy Roman infantry with Bowmen? Do you set ammo to unlimited?
    I'm no 1.5 expert, but I guess you would just form something of a U shape with archers, lure Romans in, fire at their side (eliminating shield bonus) then perhaps send a unit round the back to really encircle them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast