Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Egypt

Default Re: Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by jhhowell
    Yes, huge heaping buckets of money.

You have to have Petra and Bostra, though. I find that for some reason Memphis's port is useless (you'd think it would trade with Bostra's, but it isn't in my game), but the Thebes-Petra-Bostra trade is booming.
    Perhaps you can try let numidian take your memphis and thebes,take them back after they built the dock for you... the Egyptian can make more money from naval trade if they got dockyard...

secret police network give 20% of law,temple city of Horus give 25 % of law and level 3 weapon and armor,there is 45 % law to avoid losing money from corruption,plus the dockyard and highways,the egytian will be the best choice of faction in RTW!
    Last edited by guineawolf; 04-08-2007 at 19:17.
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

Actually when I played for Egypt (and I played quite successfully) I didn't use any other kind of units except "the pharao's guard" and "the pharao's bowmen". The rest of units didn't make any decent profit in battle. Powerful falanx supported by heavy archer fire - I crushed so many enemies with this simple combination that I can't recall how many. Noone could stand against that - neither the Greeks, nor the Scipii, nor any one else.

Hi, I just started the egyption campaign today, and had a question about what the smartest temple is to build.

Also, i have a general question. Is there any way to reveal the whole map so you could see what all the factions are doing every turn?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Hit the squiggle key to the left of the 1 key on the top row of a standard QWERTY board.

This will open up the chat "ghost" screen.

Type in:

toggle_fow

This will turn the fog of war feature off and reveal the whole of the map.

Eggie temples didn't do much for me. Set/Horus/Osiris seemed all about the same in benefit. Isis cranks up population growth, which is overkill for most of Egypts core cities. The "Doctor" temple ws useful for keeping up health (and happiness thereby).

Don't wreck any temples of Hephaesteus captured from the Seleuks -- they make great temple towns for running troops through -- gotta love gold weaps and shields.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

for me,i use temple of Imhotep to get my population up,it is better than temple of Isis coz health add up population growth at the same time it add public order too(when the population is increase 0.5%,it increase 5% squalor too,but the public order add by health cover it,not the temple of Isis).

Of coz you can build temple of Isis just for the retinue or Ancilliaries it will give you.

Then when your city reach huge city,i will recommend you to build Temple city of Horus coz it give 25% law to prevent more corruption(money lost from corruption mostly at those cities far far away from your capitol,check settlement details for distance from capitol,and the law % prevent the corruption to occur,then moreDENARIIgo back to your coffer).At the same time,temple of Horus give Bonus of weapon and armor,not the temple city of Set

Or you can build Temple city of Imhotep for those cities that got low base farming level to increase population of those cities,at the same time it increase in tradeable good by 2 and give experience bonus
    to troops 2.

or you build Temple city of Imhotep and temple city of Horus in all your cities,that way you can recruit troops from city own temple city of Imhotep(gives experience bonus to troops 2),then upgrade your war gear(weapon and armor)at city own temple city of Horus(gives bonus to weapon and armor)

Tips:
    set rally point from the city own temple city of Imhotep to city own temple city of Horus,when you recruit new troops,they will just head to city own temple city of Horus.When there is more than 9 unit of new troop,upgrade them at once(coz recruitment queue can up to 9 unit only at the same turn),
    doing this,you can get the same effect as Pantheon of Hephaestus.
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

Awesome, thanx guys thats a huge help.

A couple more questions for you:

1. Is there a unit chart that you can check the stats of all the different factions?

2. How do you change the battle clock to no time limit?

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

there is a chart, search for "rome unit guide", that's a pdf to download, probably in the download section
    unfortunately, I no longer have it on my HD

in your RTW folder, open your preference.txt and find an entry time limit: TRUE
    and change it into FALSE

Thanx for the info. I found the chart. i also tried to change the battle clock and couldnt find it in the file. I scrolled up and down the preference.txt several times and didnt find anything resembling a time limit entry. Is there a chat code i could use maybe?

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

you can also change the time limit at the beginning of a new campaign IIRC.

Askthepizzaguy Fan! Member Emperor of Graal's Avatar

Well check out this I knocked up

Would it be blitzing?

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

That would must definitely classfied as blitzing... completing the long campaign under 50 turns. That is at lighting pace compared to my usual pace, which is extremely steady and slow.

The most frightening RTW campaign I have witnessed will still have to be this though

Quote Originally Posted by Good Ship Chuckle View Post

Can anyone beat it?

Askthepizzaguy Fan! Member Emperor of Graal's Avatar

Wow! I'll give it a shot...

I have conquered all of asia minor up to the mountains that border the scythians. The scipii have cartahge thapsus and the rest of north africa. Should i attack the scythians or romans?

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jack95 View Post
    I have conquered all of asia minor up to the mountains that border the scythians. The scipii have cartahge thapsus and the rest of north africa. Should i attack the scythians or romans?
    Take on both if you can, definitely wouldn't be a bad idea to prepare first before they attack you.

However I'd advice you on taking on the Romans first, before they become too dangerous and powerful. It's also much more fun then the Scythians, trangressing through the wastelands of the Northern East of the map isn't much fun at all. Not to mention the revenue you'd gain by taking over the rich area of Carthage and the rest of North Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by jack95 View Post
    My word - attack the Romans, the Scythians are no big threat for your elite spearmen and archers. Romans, they're your possible nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_kiss View Post
    My word - attack the Romans, the Scythians are no big threat for your elite spearmen and archers. Romans, they're your possible nightmare.
    Running through the gamut of factions, it was the turn of the Egyptians. For variety am playing on huge armies (160/108). M/M.

TBH the only hard battle was for Antioch where the Selucids had several ellies in the city.

I took Siwa very early basically as a buffer as the Carthaginians have to cross the whole of Africa to get there and a spy stuck out well over gives you plenty of time to build up a defensive army if someone decides to move. Then the rebels (Petra/ Bosra) before moving up to take on the Selucids. Having defeated an Armenian army near Selucia, I have now removed Parthia from the South of the Black Sea.

As is usual, I made a beeline for Kydonia (for Cretan Archers) and Rhodes (sea trade bonus)/ Helicarnassus and then cleared up Pontus from the East (large rebel army between Tarsus and Asia Minor acted as a good buffer to stop Pontus coming down) and the Greek City on Asia Minor (Pergamon?)

During this time, the Scipii took Sicily/ Sparta/ Corinth/ Athens and the Brutii Thermon/ Thessalonica/ Larissa/ Bylazora. So I launched three armies at Sparta/ Corinth/ Athens to gain a foothold and took Byzantium with another, just to annoy Thrace.

With Greece secure, Italy beckons - Tarentum has fallen and Croton goes next term.

As for tactics - in the desert you invest in Nile Spearmen/ Bowmen. Opponents are lightly armoured and fall like flies. Against the Romans desert cavalry (armour piercing) work wonders. Romans hate cavalry. As for chariots - well they tend to be used against cavalry and peltasts/ archers, avoiding the Heavy Greek Infantry. When facing chariots, I find slingers to be very effective, as well as bolstering the flanks with spearmen.

I thought that huge size would slow down growth (after all recruiting 160 at a time (or 240 peasants) makes a severe dent in population. However that does not seem to be the case. My only regret is that there wasn't a temple of Artemis available to me in Greece - giving Pharaoh archers +3 would have been ideal.

As for temples - other than in the backwaters of Barbarianland, is there any need for any one of them other than Horus? It is disappointing that none of them give a military upgrade until Temple City is founded.

Egypt has a problem with public order, that is a main reason I don't like them. Chariots are overrated, though they are nice when fighting cavalry.

If there is a Pentheion to Zeus (sounds like you moved too quickly for them to get to that level), you could get +2 for missile units, when combined with armourer upgrades would give gold sword to your archers. I guess you have to get them from the Gauls, a Scythian temple may give +1, so maybe you can get it there when combined with a foundry. I don't remember for sure if they get that bonus, though.

Yes, I love slingers when fighting chariots. I first found that out as Parthia, and when your slingers are Balearic/Rhodian...even better.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

As for temples - other than in the backwaters of Barbarianland, is there any need for any one of them other than Horus
    Set works well in those barbarian "backwaters". An additional 10% happiness more than Horus plus the 1% population growth. Indeed, Horus has to be at Temple City lvl with foundry to get the weapon upgrades, but it's easy to get there with any of the Nile Delta cities due to their grain-driven population growth

Egypt has a problem with public order, that is a main reason I don't like them. Chariots are overrated, though they are nice when fighting cavalry
    I haven't played Egypt much, but the times I did, PO wasn't a big problem Chariots are the reason I never liked them much...hated having chariot generals. Utterly useless for city assaults
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 04-11-2018 at 03:49.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    I haven't played Egypt much, but the times I did, PO wasn't a big problem Chariots are the reason I never liked them much...hated having chariot generals. Utterly useless for city assaults
    But their regular generals aren't much better. I had one attack (granted, I think I was on E/E) a unit of my Early Legionary Cohort that was climbing a tower, so it wasn't the full unit and they weren't braced for the charge. The ELC sent him packing. At least Chariot Generals get the intimidation factor, though they also die easier thanks to archers or hoplites.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345