Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Carthage

german ok general Member orcorama's Avatar

Default Re: Carthage

littlegannon:
    how do you and craterus do a joint campaign?
    it sounds interesting

We are friends; he lives not far from me. When he comes over to my house, we start a new campaign or continue a previous one. Our current joint-campaign is Spain but we are only a few turns in. There are Play-By-Mail (PBM) Campaigns in the Throne Room forum. These are campaigns which you download or get sent to you and you play a number of turns and then send it to the next person on the list. Visit the Throne Room for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by littlegannon
    no creatus u are mistaken u are not a miltiary genuis i am
    Please spell my username correctly..

And you wish you were a military genius.
    Last edited by Craterus; 04-05-2005 at 21:19. Reason: update

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I am a bit frustrated by the Carthaginians.

I can win battles with them but having the money to develop the areas I conquer is hard, not having money makes it hard to conquer new cities.... I am not sure if it is the whole economics system in this game or just that everyone is at war with Carthage but it does not make it as fun to play as some of the eastern factions.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Carthage will always be a difficult-ish faction to play because of the immediate opposition to the Romans... This gives you next-to-no-time to develop an army and economy.. The only thing you can do is ward off the Roman armies until you hurt them enough that they take a moment to recover.. You could try to sign some alliances with Roman factions also..

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

For naval issues, quick build a navy out of Carthage in the beginning to bring your total to 5 or 6 ships. Aggressively keep the Julii off Caralis while performing the Carthaginian blitz. The Romans will get killed quickly and the Senate will be dead before they can build a navy. Then on, don't focus on navy unless for transport purposes and try to stay in port as much as possible. Luckily, Carthage to Sicily and Sicily to Italy as well as Italy to Greece are all journeys that can be completed in a single turn.

If you go after the Romans first or at least secure Sciliy first, money should not be a huge issue as long as you keep a decent naval presence to ward off blockades. one common mistake some people make is putting too much effort early on into taking the poor Iberian and Numidian towns, whie they can be relatively rich later on, the initial investment needed usually means it's usually better to wait a while before taking them.

Acturally going after the Romans early is acturally not a particularly bad thing, at least you usuaully don't need to face the Post marius insanity, while u can build longshield and elephants very quickly (and start out with one) these things simply run over early Romans.

The only real grudge I have with Carthage is their crap missiles.

You can use elephants as mounted missiles...

Ok curently playing these guys and man there tuff. Your troops are better than anyone elses early ive found so get going quick. Scipii will go for Syracuse strait away on sicily so when they step out of there city take it. They will probably send another force but beat that of and you are ok. Syracuse will now be wekend by the greeks so go and take that for your final spot on Siciliy. Now, time for Italy. Build up a good Navy to fend of any chance of julii or scipii trying to take Calais or Carthage. feed Lybian Spearmen from Carthage a few Elephants and longsheild cavelry and ship them to Sicily. get a sicilian city to get you some misile troops or alternitivly hire some misile mercenries peltasts e.c.t. send this one big army to italy and start eating away at the brutii undefended cities. By know if youve built wisley Syracuse should be getting a good few units in its tech tree so ship some more lybian spearmen and some cavelry over to Italy. Not all the way through this campaign yet so will post if i get anyfurther. its going good so far though.
    Hope this helps a few people.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Sounds good, how are you doing in Corduba/Spain?? Good Luck!

Not got going in spain and Corduba yet. Wont be to hard though to take out the Spanish. They have bad units. anyway im going to try and leave Gaul alone as there stopin the Juliis advance for me.

Gaul will fall, Julii have too much money and support..

Oh heres another postfrom the seat of me. The year now is about 250 b.c and now Egypt are starting to power through. If Numidia are still bothering you take there two costal cities wich i have done and they wont hasel you any more. Spain is still very much neutral wich is good as i dont have the money to suport a big army there. Now the one every one whants to know about Italy. I have vertually vanquished the scipii would of taken there last city but the senates army (much better and skilled than mine crushed my advancing army sendind me back to the drawing bored. There seams to be a big Julii army on the way but there mainly Hastatii wich my Garison should easily defeat.. I will hopefully take the final scipii town with a small army as long as the senate go back to Rome. Will keep posting to update and give you some more tips. Also things are going to get nasty soon as i have spoted a woping big Egyptian army coming my way....... pour it on Egypt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Egypt and Rome at the same time? You are an ambitious, daring kinda guy? Good Luck, I think you may need it.

I take it Egyptian armies tend to be big but not good for much under the A.I? lets just hope so. Carthage can now produce Poeni Infantry so that should silence the senates army once and for all. Alao going to get the final peice of north African coast of Numidia. Should finish them and also open up big trade links.

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus
    I take it Egyptian armies tend to be big but not good for much under the A.I? lets just hope so.
    Not quite, this is why many patrons hear hate the Egyptians. They have unlimited money and they field armies of invisible-armoured axemen, overpowered chariots and equally overpowered cavalry...

I wish you the best of luck; I think you will get sandwiched by Rome and Egypt though. You have to finish the Romans off before the Egyptians land in North Africa; that is you only hope.

Ok its update time. Year is now 235 b.c. Finaly taken the final scipii city and now the romans are siverly cripled. Also hacked into Numidia and they have one pathetic city left. Egypt nearly declared war because they said give us 193 denrii or sufer the consequences. its wasnt hard to chose 193 denrii or be attaked by Egypt. There army has now wondered of my teritory wich has bought a sigh of releif. Once again see no need to get going in Spain yet. Gaul and Spanish will be very easy work there. Will try and beat the tuff senate army to get rome and then the rest of the romans shouyld be done for. Also the julii stacks were rather easy to beat and so can anialte them as they come (as long as theres nothing to big). For some reson Macedon is doing surprisingly well has huge stacks of men beaten Thrace and now have become a threat. When war comes between them and brutii it might be close for once.

I once had the Macedonians get going and thought the Brutii might have some competition here, but they were destroyed as usual. Don't put your hopes up, unless you destroy the Brutii, they will probably destroy Macedon..

Egypt is a pushover once you're able to build Poeni Infantry. The Chariots are useless against any Phalanx, and you're infantry beat all of theirs. The only thing to worry about is the Bowmen, but if you're cavalry heavy (you're playing Carthage so you should be) then Archers wont be much of a problem.

As for my game as Carthage I decided to take the road less traveled. Instead of blitzing Italy I focused on Spain, and North Africa first. I took over Sicily quickly, but put my invasion or the Italian Peninsula on hold. I turned my focus on Spain and North Africa. I took my starting stack in Spain and basically conquered the 5 territories with it, without too much resistance from Spain or Gaul. After taking Spain I just built forts till I was ready to invade Gallic territory.

Meanwhile, I took my modest army in Thapsus and Carthage and went on a North African crusade. I took all of Numidias territories except for the one by Egypt, I left that as a buffer, and I took Lepcis Magna and Cyrene shortly after taking Numidias four territories to the west.

During this time I built up on Siciliy readying for the eventual invasion of Italy. I kept the Romans at bay by using the power of the Carthaginian navy to keep the Scipii and Julii from landing, and I blockaded all their ports. Soon enough I had two full stacks of Libyan Spearmen and Long Shield Cavalry ready to invade. Both stacks had 8 units of Long Shield Cavs, 8 units of Libyan Infantry, a General, and 3 Skirmishers. I launched one stack to the southeast of Capua, and the other to the south of Croton. The Scipii were so broke they could only feild a half stack, and were defeated easily giving me Capua without much of a challenge. The Brutii were caught offgaurd and I took their two Italian cities with almost no resistance. I left a half stack of 4 Libyan Spears and 4 Long Shields to keep out any future Brutii invasions from Greece, and joined up my half stack with the full stack and prepared for the epic battle with the S.P.Q.R. They surprisingly didn't offer much of a challenge, they buckled under my Cavalry, and I took Rome without that many losses. The Julii were weakened from the battles with Gual, and I took them easily.

After this point the game was essentially a mop up operation, I was rolling in the dough, and I had three invasions points ready to launch. The defensive line in North Spain turned into a blitz into Gaul, Briton, and part of Germany. The Italian army (after it was reformed with newer units) blitzed eastwards towards Greece and finished the Brutii, Dacians, Macedonians, Greeks, and Thracians, and put a dent in the Pontic hold on Asia Minor. The last Numidian buffer territory was taken, and Egypt was blitzed, and the army marched northward to meet in Asia minor with the old Italian army carving the old Selucid Empire in half before reaching the 50 territories needed to win.

Did you take Sidon last? The mother city of the Carthginians/Phoenecians..

Ok update time. Things are now really intense. Spain just back stabed me but i took Carthago Nova and now they jut have small armies left. Im about two turns away from finishing Numidia off. I decided to take this as i have started to run under. Anyway i have just smashed the first senate army (they have 3, 1 good one wich i just beat, 1 amazing one wich im up against next, and the final one in Rome wich is worthless. Julii have become really powerfull so will try and get them once ive finished spain off. Egypt are still neutral and the Selucids are still putting up one heck of a fight. Will try and team with Macedon to get Brutii once i have taken Italy (fingers crosed.) will try and make a big guide explaning tatics e.c.t once im done.

Good on you, remember a good contribution to the site e.g. Guides are a way to get prompted to member. Good Luck with the campaign and the guide!

Ok Not much has hapend since my last post other than i own Rome and the Senate are dead! I can now get Poeni infantry in Italy so now it should be quite easy. There is still a strong Julii presence but they can soon be sorted out. The key to doing well as Carthage is taking Rome. Not only does this break up the other roman factions it also stops them getting any boneses from the Senate and also makes them more likely to go for Ceasfire. Egypt are still nutreal wich is good. Will kepp posting.

Congratulations on Rome! Did you exterminate them? Or enslave them?

Enslaved them wanted a bit of people left to get up to Sacredband infantery.

Sacred Band eh? Anyway, maybe you could post some screenshots of your campaign? They are always nice to see and I think it helps to illustrate the points you are making.

How do you put pictures in your posts. I know about print scree thanks to a certain some one.

Have RTW in disk drive, go to My Computer, go to Local Disk C: , then Program files, then Activision, then RTW and then go to the tgas folder. Your screenshots are saved in there.

Ok please can people avoid posting between this guide as im doing it in posts. or can Frogbeastegg restore it when it is compleate.
    Tibilicus a basic guide to carthage.

Capter 1 City guide
    Chapter 2 Economic guide
    Chapter 3 conquest guide
    Chapter 4 basic lineup and tatical guide
    Chapter 5 diplomacy guide

Chapter 1

Ok you start off with 6 basic cities. Lets start with the most important:

Carthage

Ok this is by far your most important city not just for trade but for the fact that all your early strong Units (including navy) will come from here. Carthage starts off well developed and so puts you in a damanding position. The best purpose for this city in the early stages of the game is to suply your attaking armys with good leaders and good Generels. The Navy you build from here is also important to stoping attakin ships landing on your lands from Italy. Try and keep Carthage at all costs. I have found that loosing Carthage (even for a couple of turns) can ruin a whole campaign game. Carthage if managed rite can also power your economy. In other words this is basicly your life line, your win or loose city.

Corduba
    Ok this city is another esential city for your campaign being on the European main land. From here you can spear head attaks on spain and so get round the Campaign map via a second route. Corduba too being on the Spanish coast also has great economical capabilities.It starts up very under developed so need a lot of atention. On the task of taking spain i waited till i got Iberian infantry and roundsheild cavalry and then combined it with some mercenary units.

lilbabem
    Please excuse me if i have spelt the name wrong but you should know what i mean the city on Sicily it is. This is also esential very early on to suport the troops coming in from Carthage and Buildin light unit suport for them. You will notice your faction leader starts off here. Use him and your imported carthage troops to attak first the Scipii province and then the greek one. Lilybebem tends to not be of great importance other than to suply a few troops after you have landed on Italy and taken Sicily.

Thapsus
    Sorry i have all of a suden forgoten this place name anyway its the one below Carthage your second African province. Other than to launce a later attak on Numidia this city has very limited uses. Take most of the army there and take Leptis Magna with it. This province however can build up a surprisingly good trade later on in the game.

Caralis
    This province is quite an esential one being very close to italy and Europe. this will need protecting by a fleet early on in the game to prevent the Romans landing and taking the Province. Not only can this produce a good trade income it is also great later on in the game for suprting attaks on Europe (and Rome if you havent take it all ready). it also is a great place to get merecenary units.

Palma
    Ok not really that usefull early on except for hiering Mercenery units. If built up however it can get a surprisingly good trade income. You wont really get any desent units here though untill very late in the game so dont wait on it for units.

Ok thats my basic city guide done. any coment would be much apreciated and also dont be to harsh as it is my first ever guide ive started. Hope it helps some of you.
    Thank you for reading my first post
    Tibilicus
    p.s remember this is only a basic guide so the whole thimg should not take up more than a page and a bit.
    p.s sorry about this please excuse some spelling mistakes and also you are now aloud to post inbetween to express your veiws.

Chapter 2 Econmics

Early stage 270 b.c- 230 b.c
    Carthages Econmic poetntial is incredible. Located in one of the best places for trading its only a matter of time before the money starts poring in. Carthage is esential to power your Econemy and so should be protected. Many of your provinces start of underdeveloped (Nearley all other than Carthage) and so dont expect money to just role in from the very begining. I would advise working on your econemy after major threats are over i.e Numidia and Rome. Once these are wekend or defeated you can start to concentrate on your money. Build up Carthage (this is the province wich will land you big bucks) and also the other fertile African costal cities (If you have beaten Numidia off them). Get trade rights with Egypt as they will provide good extra income so will the Greeks and Spanish. If posible also get trade rights with Gaul and Britton.

middle stage 230b.c-190 b.c

Now that threats such as Rome and Numidia are gone (maby Spain if you have been doing really well) Concentrate most of your efort on Econemy. Build up Carthage and Rome if you have it and also any other developed costal cities. At this point start trying to get trade going in Palma. Egypt should still be neutel with you at this stage so you should still be getting a good income off them. Focus not only on your port trade but also farming. Farming can get a surprisingly large sum off money if it is done in the right regions. Thry to get trade rights with factions you dont have as many of your old tradeing budies may have been eliminated by other Factions.

Late period 190 b.c-9 a.d

Ok by now Egypt would of probably declared war on you and so your money will be spent trying the fend them off. this is were all those Denrii put into developing farming and trade will pay off. Even in these hard times try to still develop your econemy further. poor provinces at the start i.e Palma should now be doing very well with trade and your faction should be dominating trade (even beating the egyptians if you have conqured a desent amount of land). The strain off war of course will afect your econemy but try to stop little things from hapening i.e ports being blockaded to ensure that econemy carrys on running smoothely through out.

general
    In generel try to protect trade as noted above and make sure you know wich provinces can get the most out of each thing, in other words dont waste tim building farmland improvements in provinces wich could get more out of trade.

Once the guide is completed i will go over the chapters corect faults add a bit more were neede e.c.t
    Hope you have found this usefulll so far.
    Thanks for reading,
    Tibilicus

Chapter 3 conquest guide

As you will notice from the very start of the campaign you are attaked from all sides.
    Factions posing a minor threat

Numidia- There armys come in small stacks wich can easily be beaten by a solid Garison. Easy land take for later on there lands are.

Spain- Your troops are fare supirior to theres and so should make easy work.

Big threats

Rome- will try and nail you right from the start start by nailing them in Sicily then get troops from Carthage to start nailing there Italian cities. Better to take them out sooner than later.

Egypt- Yes allways a threat. Try and finish Rome off with spare time to help the Selucids fight this nasty faction. Again better taking them sooner than later, espeshially when they can get Pharos bowmen.

Route of conquest

The best route is to ignore all other attaks and focus on Rome. There the only real threat. Start by geting troops from carthage to Sicily and take the Scipii province there. Also take the Greek one its an easy picking. Now take another army suplied from Carthage to Italy to take the undefended Brutii Provinces. (will explain unit line ups later on in the guide). Carry on using the newly conqured provinces and Carthage to blitz Rome. try and take the Senate army in 2 smaller armys as that is one tuff army. Eventually go on to take the rest of Italy. Now for Numidia. you only really need to take there costal cities to steall there wealth and then they wont cause you anymore trouble. Go back for the remaning provinces later on. By this time you should be quite rich and powerful. Spain will of also probably declared war on you. Take there cities (wich shouldnt be to hard as there units are inferior to yours) and take the whole of Spain. If Gaul is still there take enough provinces to link spain to Italy then try anf get a cesfire. folow the next step if you can get a ceasfire if you cant just finish the Gauls off. Now time for your hardest oponent Egypt. This will take a long time to beat thes. Just blockade there ports to limit wealth and hack away in to Delta and then those further provinces. Once you have sucsesfull beaten Egypt NOTHING will probably stand in your way so you can basicly Blitz the rest of the map.

Hope this section helped you will try and update soon
    Tibilicus ]

Chapter 4 unit guide and tatical lineup.

Chapter 4 part 1

I am going to break this down in to 3 parts. lets sart with part 1:

Unit guide

As you will notice at the start many of your citys are under developed other than Carthage. As i have mentioned many times before Carthage is key to any early invashions on the Roman empire. The troops that Carthage get acses to at the very start are Lybian spearmen i have found thes key early on. Ship about 4 of these once built to Sicily.
    Now lilybauem. Sorry i cant spell this but its the only city you start of with on Siciliy. Build 2 roundsheild Cavalry and 2 iberian infantry to suport the transported Carthage troops. Your faction leader should also be there with an army so combine the Carthage and lilbauem troops with him and take on the Scipii city. After this also take the greek city syracuse as its porley defended.
    Repeat the shiping of Carthage troops to Rome suported by Sicily troops till the whole of Italy is yours. I would advise taking spain and the rest of Africa after this but noew the major threat is gone you can choose wich way to go. I would advise keeping an eye on Egypt other than that its really your choice.

Units early period 270b.c-230b.c

Carthage:
    Infantry: Iberian infantry,liybian spearmen, Poeni infantry (poeni infantry depends on your speed of conquest normaly are availible by this time though)

Cavalry:round sheild cavalry, Long sheild Cavalry.

Misile troops/Skirmishers:Skirmishers,slingers.

Lilbaeum:

Infantry: Iberian infantry Lybian spearmen (lybian spearmen depends on speed of conquest)

Cavalry:Roundsheild Cavalry, Longsheild Cavalry.

Misile Units/Skirmishers: Skirmishers,Slingers

Caralis:

Infantry:Iberian Infantry,Lybian Spearmen depends on speed of conquest

Cavalry: Roundsheild Cavalry,Longsheild Cavalry
    Misile Units/Skirmishers: Skirmishers,slingers.

Thapsus:

Infantry:Iberian infantry,lybian spearmen.

Cavalry:Roundsheild cavalry,long sheild cavalry.,

Misile units/Skirmishers: Skirmishers,slingers

Corduba:

Infantry:Iberian infantry,Lybian spearmen.

Cavalry:roundsheild cavalry,long sheild cavalry.

Misile unit/Skirmishers:Skirmishers,slingers.

Palma:

Infantry:iberian infantry.

Cavalry:Roundsheild Cavalry

Misile units/Skirmishers: Skirmishers.

Sorry all i have time for will try and update again soon coments much apresiated
    Thankyou for reading
    Tibilicus
    Last edited by tibilicus; 04-26-2005 at 16:18. Reason: updating guide

Ok people can now post your veiws so fgar as i can now edit the document. Aware of speling mistakes will sort them once it is finished.

Looks good, I'll certainly use a few of those strategies for my first Carthaginian campaign..

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast