Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Germania

Default Re: Germania

Hmmm, there are still some relevant strategic points in there...

in your early game you must build trader and roads in every city you have.Than build pesants for garison(one pesant is enaugh in early game for controling the city).Move your armies west to meet briton army,defet them in the open field.Gaul will soon atack you but don,t worry,arky of 5spearwarbands with good general and sreaching women behind the battle line is capable to destroy much greater army of gaul(they always try to charge in your wooden wall).After that I advise taking Samorabiva and any gaulish city you can get.Do not go in to northern italy but you must take Noricum this is key province for later invasions.With your faction heir in the east go and take all province especialy those on north sea.You will see that Gauls have great but very stupid armies and they are easilly defeted.In batles against barbarians just build about 5-6sparmens and good general(I prefer screaching women in every armie couse they couse a rout with their screaching).Later take Britania this will not be so easy,you must know that you have to be patience and that you must be realy good general.Later in my batles with Jullii family I find Axeman are much beter then spearmen,also its great if you have nifht raiders or bersekers,they are best units against romans,and I think they are strongest units in the game becouse they couse fear in the ranks of the orher armies...

I am starting a campaign as the germans and was wondering what building do the berserkers come from?
    offline, i don't know how to play online - Some Random n00b. Maybe he was registered here.

One of the shrines. I forget which one.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Donar, I believe.

Wodin gives you Gothic Cavalry and maybe one other unit.

Freya gives you Screeching Women (kinda like Druids, really, only there's more of them) and population growth. Useful in barbarian settlements at the start.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

There is one temple that gives you both Screeching Women and Gothic Cav, but at different levels.

I've got a question, which are better; Berserkers or Chosen Axemen?
    I support Israel

Exclamation Re: Germania

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! I absolutley love the spear warbands!!!!!!!!!!!

i was playing a simple campaign, just fooling around. I saw a big british stack coming. they were a turn away so i ended my turn. i looked to see where they were, but thay had disapeared. i thought they were in the forest beside me waiting to ambush, so i marched a lone spear warband out there to investigate. they attacked me, and i thought i was gonna be totaly decimated.i marched to the corner, and they marched to me. they were exhausted when they got there.i ordered them into phalanx. they were walking around me and stuff so i couldnt really do anything. i decided to move towards the big bunch of troops hoping they would charge. so i marched around a bit. i attacked a group and they charged me. we kept fighting me killing more, they killing none. a unit of peasents then charged me in the side, i didnt break and they didnt kill anyone. it was sweet. then a unit of chariots attacked me in the side, i didnt break, i still held. another unti in the charged me in the back. i still held. somehow, i fought them all of.i attacked the last none routed unit, which was the chariots. they ran full on in my spears. they all died upon impact, it was sweet. i chased around a few units that had recovered. i finally routed all of them!!!!!! it was only a clear victory though, which wasnt great. i was hoping to get a heroic victory, to get a man of the hour. so a unit of spear warband killed 2 chariots, 3 or 4 warbands, 2 peasants, and 2 slingers. 122 vs 957. i killed 446 losing only 41.
    i think this proves the spear warbands worth

l8s

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Battle difficulty level?

Nothing personal but they should have slinger'd you to death. The AI is not bright, but it shouldn't be quite that dumb.

Even when dumb, on VH it's hard to rout them off fast enough to survive that sort of swamping.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

umm, im pretty sure it was easy. i was just fooling around, so i didnt want a challenge. so it might make my point sort of faulty, but i still love them.

l8s

anyone try expanding into greece for a nice profit? i tend to play on medium medium because i just got this and want to get use to it a little more.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Two popular strategies -- regardless of faction -- are to:

1) send a powerful army right after Italy to smash the Romans prior to reforms kicking in.

2) attack into or physically decamp and move to the Aegean region in order to conquer the rich trade centers.

Both strategies are a bit "game" as opposed to realistic, but they work well.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Be careful over there with your army.....
    A revolutionary game featuring Mafia as protagonists!
    A game designed to give maximum people the roles
    A game that gives secret roles to people along the way
    A game that everybody will enjoy!

Mafia: The Merging of America Cosa Nostra
    Register your place now!

Don't complicate the matter with Germania

Register your place now!

I think with Germania, the best thing you can do is defence. However to win, this is not the case.

Make as much army as possible from your towns, and with that destroy the faction House of Julii. Here I give options. If you want challenge, wait for Marius reforms. If you don't...... Recruit with Julii cities then, bang!!! Rome itself should be terminated OFF THE MAP. Then, what you have is two weak factions. Finish them off easily with help with Greeks and Carthage. (make alliances)

Register your place now!

i find that for a couple turns of population loss you can economy blitz, and have all settlements go very high tax rate. this tends to make me an extra 2000 in 3 turns.

Well i started a campaign as germania. Terrible economy from starting time till about 240 BC.

i started off by slowly expanding into gaul, losing no battles but not being able to fund an army due to debt. i had alliances with thrace, greece, britannia, and all the roman factions. i was providing assistance against gaul for the julii in exchange for a bit of money. after i took over all of france and destroyed gaul, the britons invaded northern france.

i was going to move some troops up north to retake the town since i didnt have a navy to invade briton, and couldnt make new troops with my debt, but then the julii broke our alliance, bribed narbo martius, and sent a full stack of hastati, equites, and 3 velites with a faction heir over the bridge to take massilia. i met them on the bridge, absolutely crushing them. i killed an army of 1350 something including the faction heir with a loss of 34 spear warband soldiers.

I purposely made an exit in the top right so as the units routed they would be able to escape their easier, and easily be picked off by the cavalry. the Axemen used warcry during the fight.

3X=2 Spear Warbands right on top of eachother
    C=Cavalry A=Axemen R=Romans |=Bridge
    CC C A
    AXXX CCC
    AX RR XA
    AX RR XA
    X RR XA
    |RRR|
    |RRR|
    |RRR|

Anyways, i know finally have a positive income and have control of france, britain, ireland, illyria, northern italy including rome, and my Western border ends at Vicus Gothi and the town below it. Soon i will send a small force to finish off the julii in corduba, finish off italy, and take over sicily, and spain. Spain is currently an easy couple of territories due to all the fighting going on there. Both spain and carthage have each others ports blockaded and barely any troops. once i do that ill control everything in western europe from spain to the end of present day germany, including italy and the towns inbetween germany and italy.

Germania - One Weird Faction
    --------------------------------------

Been Playing RTW for a few months on/off, playing all the short games on VH/M.

Most of the time, win or lose I get to fight in a distinct area or two getting to know the map, but not this one.

Although I needed to wipe out Dacia and Scythia to win a short game they were the only two groups that would ally with me, so I spend most of the game Fighting Gaul and Britannia, wiping out the latter, even though I'm supposed to be going the other way !!

Later on I'm getting fullstack after fullstack from the Julii and have to go south for a spot of Roman Pillage, but can't really hang on to my winnings so I abandon Patavium Segetsa and one of the Jullia start towns and leave them to the Gauls and Julii, although the Brutii take Patavium.

Getting fed up of doing well yet heading for a lost game I stab Dacia and start moving east at last. Run into Macedon around the Thracian Capital (now Macedonian) and soon I'm at war with them too - Arggh!.

After I finish off Dacia I pile over the Danube and the other river (don't know its name) onto the Scythian capital and declare war on them.

I build a single fleet in that city and attack the city on the Crimean peninsula and then move by boat along the cost to the next Scythian city, leaving and army on the bridge by the capital to keep the macedonians out.

By now I've had 3 warnings that someone is about to win the game, including Pontus, Egypt and The Scipii. My empire stretches from Lemonum, the British mainland and is expanding eastward. My net income is negative and the only way I can make money to build troops is exterminating citiea and selling the buildings in cities I'm about to lose.

Two armies crawl across the siberian plains, that region seems to have a movement penalty associated with it, but I take it and eventually head towards the last Scythian city by the Caspian sea (Campus Saki ?? I'm bad with city names as you can tell).

Then Scipii take Narbo-Thingy off me in southern France and then the spanish kick me out of Lemonum. The Brutii are now sending multiple fullstacks up into Germany and I can't afford to replace troops so I'm sacrificing regions in Gaul and Germania to buy time to finish off Scythia.

Finally my Cavalry advanced guard reaches the last scythis city, which is only lightly defended. I get a spy in and he gets the gates open so the Cavalry go in without waiting for the main army.

And I win !!! - I've got 22 regions total (only needed 15) but Gaul and Germania wouldn't have held out much longer.

Cracking game, took about 3 days, but now way will I be able to finish it off as a long game.

My advice to anyone playing germania is try to get alliances with gaul and brittania, but if you can't get them quickly wipe them out !!

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

Took me months to finish a German campaign. Played with a difference. Defend the homelands of Germany against all comers and last for the entire length of the Imperial campaign.

A long account of that campaign is here:
    http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/f...&f=10,2435,,10
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

Talking Re: Germania

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne d'arc
    If u dont wonna have the pleasure in dealing with those Gaul forester warbands, expand towards Alesia and dispatch an army from there east towards patavium and mediolanium.Make sure u take the road through the mountains(less chanche in getting ambushed and in my game it was unprotected) , it leads right into the area of these 2 core troop producing cities.Use a spy to scope the area first though cause they usually have a field army nearby.Then attack and pillage both cities, it will make good money.Leave the cities for the Gauls while in the meanwhile u can expand your kingdom towards these cities and by the time u get there they might be rebuild making them ideal to help forge an army for your move towards Rome.
    \

Berserkers are incredible units, close to the best if not the best unit in the game, and the germans can recruit them. To defeat the romans all you have to do is hold out against the other barbarians until you can recruit them and then you kill the Brits and Gauls, go on a rampage of spain then come sweeping down into africa with all your berserkers and generals and spear men, kill carthage, take over Sicily, go into Italy and knock down Romes big ston wall
    Note: I have never played as Germannia but Im one settlement away from conquering them with the Julii and thats what I'm going to do! Die Romans! Die!
    BLAKE OH YEAH

I agree with you fully, well almost. I think you should keep peace with the Dacians for as long as possible so if the romans try to attack you that way they have the Dacians attacking them, make the Dacians attack the Julii but not you. I on the other hand also think it is wise to take out Sythia, they are weak because they are spread out to far and their cities ar to far apart, therefore it is easy to take them and not much of anyone bothers you up there, and the more settlements the better.
    BLAKE OH YEAH

Quote Originally Posted by Bombasticus Maximus
    I am starting a campaign as the germans and was wondering what building do the berserkers come from?

Bombasticus, it is wise of you to be wondering, they are the greatest unit, and they come in the sacred circle of Donar.

Ps.
    Niether do I
    BLAKE OH YEAH

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I was playing as Germania, and im going very far.
    Some Gallic settlements are mine, and one Dacian.
    I was betrayed twice, by the Greeks and the Romans.
    I need help in how to destroy Romans!!
    Please!!

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Quote Originally Posted by Caius Flaminius
    I was playing as Germania, and im going very far.
    Some Gallic settlements are mine, and one Dacian.
    I was betrayed twice, by the Greeks and the Romans.
    I need help in how to destroy Romans!!
    Please!!
    Learn how to take out multiple large stacks....

Best way to do this is to stand a large army with plenty of bow support on a bridge. When they attack, put you bows on flame, put most of them on the left of the bridge to shoot at the unshielded part of the oncoming units.

Protect them with a couple of spear units on your side of the bridge.

The enemy charges, gets shot, hits the spears, routs and disrupts those who follow, getting shot all the while.

When all or most units are routing, unleash the calvalry

Rinse and repeat.

After the Roman numbers have been thinned quickly move a big army into italy, massacre what you can and withdraw.

Or just stay there if you are playing the long game....

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I dont have archers...
    But yes, spears are very good.
    I won a crushing victory(thats says the speech)
    Germania 1000 vs The Greek Cities 3000

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

after reading some post,i get a new ideal,i am going to use it in my germania campaign.

Since germans population growth and economic power is so low,then i decide to fight as gueriellas,don't waste your money on buiding(except military buildings),stockpile your denarii,every time you take a town or city,exterminate them for denarii.At the same time,leave your old town for most "civilized" faction,so they will upgrade them to huge cities,and building those advanced buildings for you.Leave those towns to romans(coz they can built laftifundia(level 5 farms)and city plumbing(higher population growth=now you can get troops supply from here).Of coz,to do this you need to maintain a large army(with highest equipment=armourer or foundry perhaps?,and high experience=temple with troops training experience plus 1 or 2?)

within the needs,you of coz will take the better cities(like huge cities?)as your settlement,(of coz,those cities will have the highest level building in it)

then,i am going to fight as germans!honor and glory for germans!!!
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

I wouldn't recommend that. The idea is good, but I think you are going about it the wrong way.

I would suggest putting family members in all the cities you can, preferably the smaller ones. When you take the settlement, enslave it. This will boost the population where you have governors, and you will get an economic boost. Do not give you cities to Romans, if you give them to anyone. By the time they will be able to build they highest end buildings, they will probably have hit the marian reforms, and you will be messed up.

Geurilla warfare, you got something going there. Take an army, and hide it in a forest to ambush the romans or someone else.

Good luck with you campaign and welcome to the Org.

RM3

How can I do for beat the Romans before the Marian Reforms

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

pin with phalanx, and use gothic cavalry to flank, you can also use berserkers, and axeman to flank. keep some axes in the rear to reinforce any spearwarband thats about to break.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Meghas Alexandros
    I wouldn't recommend that. The idea is good, but I think you are going about it the wrong way.

I would suggest putting family members in all the cities you can, preferably the smaller ones. When you take the settlement, enslave it. This will boost the population where you have governors, and you will get an economic boost. Do not give you cities to Romans, if you give them to anyone. By the time they will be able to build they highest end buildings, they will probably have hit the marian reforms, and you will be messed up.

Geurilla warfare, you got something going there. Take an army, and hide it in a forest to ambush the romans or someone else.

Good luck with you campaign and welcome to the Org.

RM3
    i can beat the romans,i just need highest income only,that gonna need huge city and it's highest economical building.(coz i love to get more denarii to ensure i can fight enemy with numbers!!!!)

How to beat the legions??you can use your heaviest cavalry to charge in the legions line pull out,charge in again ,if roman didn't break and run yet ,repeat charge in until roman do so!!!I beat those mighty legion even they already hit maurius reform with Seleucid Empire's Cataphract(i use cataphract becoz they are cheap to keep compare to phalanx pikemen,110 to 250,which you will choose?),i kill those legions even with my highest record,1 to 50.with germans?i will suggest Gothic cavalry,or well use the germans infantry powerful charge,always charge in when those legions are unprepared,and don't let those legions get together when they got reinforcements!coz you will lower their morale with routing every each units.
    (i recommend this becoz i do it before with using the phalanx pikemen of seleucid empire to defeat those mighty legions!!!mostly it works!!!and it can take out legions with 1 to 10,ofcoz i always spares some cavalry to ride those legions down after they breaks and run!!)

I played Germania at hard/medium(large unit scale,coz standard legion unit size is 80 men a squad plus 1 centurion=81).After reading some post,i decide to played as barbarian (poor factions)as challenge.

At the start,i take a look at my town and buildings first,the population is so low.then i decided to build shrine of frejya,farms,trader for more population growth as fast as possible.Seems the Damme and Mogontiacum are the hightest population town,i build shrine of woden for army production.
    I send my diplomat to Samarobriva(Briton town) to acquire trade right with them.

ok,since the management is done,then it is time to decide where to expand my germania kingdom(it is to small to be an empire),i send 2 army group to scout the area,1 to north,1 to east.After 2 to 3 turns,North army group found Bordhesholm and take it,after reconsider,i change my mind to enslaved the population due to my low population,coz at the same time it will add 0.5 population growth to neighbouring cities.My east army group take Vicus Gothi at next turn,enslave too.Now my capital Damme have extra 1 % population growth even without shrine of frejya and it is almost reach minor city population requirement.Since my Germania oredi have 7 province,i plan to build up my kingdom supply line first and save as many Denarii as i can before fighting a war(like the Saladin way,always get prepared before you fight)

At the same time my east army take Vicus Gothi,my diplomat oredi acquire trade rights from Gauls.But the Gauls attack my Trier at the next turn,too bad they failed becoz of the defence capability of Trier's garrison spearwarband.Since the Gauls broke the peace,i decide to send out army to
    launch an assault on their Capital-Alesia.After defeat about 200 men near Alesia,Germans army sack Alesia in 2 turns,enslaved their population.Then a frontal scout send back a report ,that Britons attack my Batavodurum.Luckily that Briton army about 300 men have been crush,but it mean only that Germania need to fight with 2 factions at same time right now.

Since Britons broke peace with my Germania,i send 2 army to attack Gauls and Britons at the same time,1 to Samarobriva,1 to Lugdunum.2 battle at Samarobriva,Samarobriva taken and enslaved it.2 battle at Lugdunum,Lugdunum is taken when Lugdunum garrisons joined 2nd battle and lost,enslaved again.Britons send diplomat to me to ask for ceasefire,i accept considering to ease my financial problem(my stockpile denarii is between 10k to 20k in this period).

But then the Britons broke the peace again with sending 1985 men assault on Samarobriva with Samarobriva only have 1 spear warband garrison.I block the street near front gate with that spearwarband,Britons army charge in to my phalanxe after the gate is breached,my spearwarband hold on those britons.But with another 3 squads britons troops attack my back,my spearwarband all dead with taking 400 britons with them,Samarobriva lost.Britons army advance to my Batavodurum.

At the same time my army are surrounded Lemonum.When i retreating my army from Lemonum,Gauls taken Lugdunum.My army head straight to Lugdunum,then sending a general leading a small army with 2 spears,1 bar cav try to attack Samarobriva to lure the the large briton army that head to Batavodurum.But then that small army being ambuscade by that Briton army that head back to Samarobriva,it failed.This battle i check out that Britons oredi have 3 chariot archers with them and thousands of infantry.My spears can't fight with them face to face,so i decide to march my spears to a hill with watchtower at the left corner of the map,and the bar cav hide in the forest at the right corner of map.Battle start,Britons army advanced to my spears when my spears form a V phalanxe that covering their side on that hill with almost 70 degrees,general hide in that phalanxe.Britons army attack as soon as they reached the hill,their infantry's morale are shaken when they climbing that hill,their infantry keep routing just fight my spears for only 3 seconds.After 3 quarter of Briton infantry routing,my general decide to charge in to others Britons infantry to force them all routing,but this decision make him killed.I still killing those routing Briton infantry with bar cav that hide in right corner of map that oredi march to behind of Britons army.My spears charge when there is 30 seconds left to ensure that Briton chariot archers won't have enough time to kill my spears with their bows.The battle ended with Germans army crushing victory.

After that victory,i start to create an bar cav(coz Briton infantry can't stand a charge of bar cav,and their chariot archers can be take out by bar cav) army to launch a conquest to British isle coz i found out Briton defences at their British isle mainland very weak,only got 3 to 4 squads in each city.And the Dacia is start invading my land.

Taking back Lugdunum from Gauls,i oredi have 6 minor cities.I send 2 large boats sending that bar cav army in 1 turn at the time that i taking down Samarobriva with a medium army again.

My bar cav army surrounded Londinium just landed,the scout report that 2 others briton town only garrison with 3 to 4 squads each,then i decided to seperate that bar cav army to 3 group, main bar cav army surrounded Londinium,4 squads to Deva,4 squads to another town.Both 2 army group defeat 400 men each very easy on their way to other 2 town coz all of them just infantry.Since 3 of britons town oredi being surrounded,they can only send reinforcements from Tara.After 6 to 7 turns,my bar cav army take down Londinium.Deva taken next turn,only bar cav army surrounded Ebravum defeated when their captain get killed by a chariot.i send another 4 squads bar cav to surrounded Ebravum,take it down after another 6 turns.At the same time,my mainland army take down Condate Redonum,Lemonum,and is heading to Lugdunum seems it lost again.

Then i sending my bar cav army at britons isle to conquer Tara after taking out all Briton navy.Taking down and enslaved it within 7 turns.My conquest on Britons territory finally done. Lugdunum regain.The Julii still remain at italy with segestica or segesta taken.

My main army are taking all Gauls cities with a port.Narbo Martius,Massilia and Osca.When i taking Osca,i soon find out julii oredi taking out Spain with Gauls city-Numanthia remains.I decide to leave Julii alone and deal with Dacia,taking Lovosice,Domus Dulcis Domus,Gaul's Iuvavum.I start to expanding east.

With those naval trade cities, my germania earned 10k each turn.After taking out Schytia,my Germania oredi stockpile more than 400k denarii,these denarii can ensure my victorious in long period war.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast