Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Greek Cities

Default Re: The Greek Cities

Quote Originally Posted by Good Ship Chuckle
    In retrospect, it was odd to ask a question when I already knew the answer, but my small statement did generate quite a bit of insight.:
    Ahoy. That's the beauty of this whole idea--forums (fora?) where somebody vents his thoughts and get some others to react with their own ideas. You know, it improves everybody's game who heeds, and one could share words of advise, opinion, dirty tricks, etc., which your own next-door neighbor would not understand--or care about.
    But, somewhere along the way, I gain 2 things: (1) I've learned several tons' worth of info (knowledge, even) about the ancient Greeks (whom I like), Romans (whom I admire) and other civilizations which erstwhile I wouldn't much care about. (2) =THE BETTER PART= I've made plenty of friends here, have some friendly exchange of thoughts. These fora are great, man! They keep me coming back for more. Hawooh.
    Last edited by wumpus; 01-22-2008 at 04:47.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." ~Salvor Hardin

Best Laugh on the Seven Seas Member Good Ship Chuckle's Avatar
    Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

Well said noble Wumpus.
    That is the whole point of fora (as you inferred). To exchange ideas with people who are in a similiar situation as yourself. I think the ancient Greeks would be proud of us. Creating and participating in institutions for the sole purpose of exchanging ideas to streamline our lives. In this case, our RTW gameplay.

Post Script: Lucky you. This is the second time you've started the next page of posts. :)
    Last edited by Good Ship Chuckle; 01-22-2008 at 20:15.
    When your mama jokes aren't funny anymore, who ya gonna call?
    Eshmunazar lol

Laughin' out loud since 251 BC.

Well said noble Wumpus.

Post Script: Lucky you. This is the second time you've started the next page of posts. :)
    Ahoy. Yes, it's just luck--pure and simple. Like when you thought you'd lose a battle to an enemy 3 times your number but the battleground turns out to have a seashore on one side (protecting a flank) and there's a forest conveniently nearby to hide in and minimize the enemy's horses and arrows.
    Giving my best to you. Hawooh.

Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

I finally found out how to create screenshots (THANK YOU PRINT SCREEN BUTTON!), so as a result I thought I might post the final screenshot of my Greek Campaign to give you a better feel of my campaign Wumpus, or anyone else for that matter.

Notice that even in my most elite army, I still have militia cavalry as my most advanced cav. No shame in that. Militia cav are excellent when used correctly, but I've already ranted enough about the gift of Militia cav in previous posts. I thought I would take Alexandria and Memphis, as a nice way to end the game, however I was disappointed. When I got there, the garrisons were small, and were easily pushed aside by the Spartans. Oh, well. At least it looks nice on the campaign map. :)
    Also, note my faction leader's name. Memno the Killer! That's what you get when you try to assasinate anything that moves.

Anyways, comments, if ya please>

Yes. You are not mistaken. The Gauls do own Susa, Bostra, and Dumatha. I didn't want to end the campaign until I captured Lower Egypt, so I ended up just giving them to the Gaul because they were my allies. lol at the thought of pale skinned Guals yelling at the arabians to fan them harder. :)
    Last edited by Good Ship Chuckle; 01-30-2008 at 03:13.
    Eshmunazar lol

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

326 B.C seems too fast to finish a campaign. i prefer to handle things nice and slow. I never completed the Greek campaign because of their lack of good cavalry. also the Greeks lacks real tactics. all you do is form a long line with your hoplites and wait for the enemy charge, after a while poking your enemy half to death they'd run away and there's no way of catching them. that is really annoying. I like a balanced faction but the formidable Greek hoplites could win you every battle. The AI doesn't seems too bothered about flanking so it really isn't much fun.

*236, gosh you gave me a scare then. Yes, I like to expand only when attacked/ ally is attacked. If I strengthen my borders and garrisons then I am prety much never attacked. And when I am they have prepared, two/three full stacks. Well done CA, finally glimpses of AI brains.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusJulius-Cicero
    326 B.C seems too fast to finish a campaign.
    The greek campaign was a short campaign, but I like campaigns when they are short, fast, and exhillarating!

Also the Greeks are perfectly cut out for it. What are you going to do in Syracuse? Wait patiently until the Scipii bust your back? No. Agressive. Agressive. Agressive!!
    Eshmunazar lol

General of Carthage Member Hannibalbarc's Avatar

The greek campaign was a short campaign, but I like campaigns when they are short, fast, and exhillarating!

Also the Greeks are perfectly cut out for it. What are you going to do in Syracuse? Wait patiently until the Scipii bust your back? No. Agressive. Agressive. Agressive!!
    Thats my style of play, go to war with everybody, expand in all directions, if you make allies they are gonna betray you sooner or later anyway, better to go to war with them than let them surprise you by attacking your undefended front.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head- Euripides

I finally found out how to create screenshots...Anyways, comments, if ya please>

Ahoy, GSC. Awesome army! Your screenshot tells me many things: 1. Despite your defeat at thei hands, you DID beat the Seleucids at the end; 2. Your transfer of residence to Asia did you very well--you made much money to buy a half-army of Spartans (that is, which are visible--maybe you have another stack or two where some more Spartans are holing out); 3. You did win with only a couple of militia cavalry (if it had been me, with what money you seem to have I'd have hired a couple of Sarmatian cavs instead, to be on the safer side); 4. Nice show of diplomacy--giving your Gaulish allies some land (that should make them ecstatic) but posing no great threat to you in the future--Arabia's too far from their capital. Great show, matey! Kinda little short campaign, though. But anyway, that's what you wanted--short campaign but it hits right at the gut. Like some swordsmen: they enjoy fencing with their opponent for a long time, other swordsmen would like to stab and slash, ending the bout with about only three elegant strokes then the killing blow.
    Hawooh.

Thanks for all the feedback about my campaign!
    However, I don't want to give all the credit to myself. There was a link that I discovered deep in the bowels of this forum somewhere, long ago before I became a member. It was what inspried me to create such blitzkrieg as fast as I did. I have it under my favourites.

Best Comprehensive Greek Guide Ever.

This guy finished the campaign in 257 BC!! Makes my campaign look likes its going at a snail's pace. And all the evidence is there. Pretty much every battle, and its stats is all there. He explains how you have to fight on three fronts at the beginning: Sicily, Greece, and Anatolia. However, there is one point that I would like to emphasize. Taking Messana the first turn. It's the perfect way to start out a blitz game. He explains in great detail how its done, and then tops it off with a screenshot of Messana with out any garrison, on the first turn. Simply beautiful.

If you ever plan on using the Greeks, you have to at least peruse the beginning of this guide. It's a goldmine of information.

Is this not the best greek guide ever?
    Eshmunazar lol

257B.C! I can't even finish my short campaign in that amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusJulius-Cicero
    257B.C! I can't even finish my short campaign in that amount of time.
    And he played on VH/H. That's something to be proud of. But to appreciate the true genius of his campaign, you have to read it in detail. His original faction leader, Kleomenes of Sparta, finally died in Iuvavum and 2 years before he completed the game.
    Eshmunazar lol

Is this not the best greek guide ever?
    Yes it is.

Savaran Commander Member Hound of Ulster's Avatar

gah that was quick. I guess I shouldn't give up Magna Graecia.
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Ar nDuctas' O'Dougherty clan motto

'In Peace, sons bury thier fathers; In War, fathers bury thier sons' Thucydides

'Forth Eorlingas!' motto of the Riders of Rohan

'dammit, In for a Penny, In for a Pound!' the Duke of Wellington

I think you mean the province Sicilia Graecus (Syracuse).
    But yes, if you want to play a lightning fast game, forfeiting settlements is not an option.
    Eshmunazar lol

The beggining is the most important time for a blitz. Also playing on VH/H the campaign difficulty means that sally's are more common as on VH campaign the AI is very agressive. Also I notice he said he would not use exploits but he lines up in the corners of the map..

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Wow. Didn't notice this until now. That's pretty impressive, actually, but my playing style is different. I tend to play a slow game, taking my time to Hellenise those filthy barbarians. That's why I don't like playing as barbarian factions so much -- the squalor always becomes a big problem even in the early mid-game.
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Savaran Commander Member Hound of Ulster's Avatar

I always call the Greek territories in Southern Italy 'Magna Graecia', because it sounds better.
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Ar nDuctas' O'Dougherty clan motto

'In Peace, sons bury thier fathers; In War, fathers bury thier sons' Thucydides

'Forth Eorlingas!' motto of the Riders of Rohan

'dammit, In for a Penny, In for a Pound!' the Duke of Wellington

Squlor always becomes a huge problem with the Carthagians and the Egyptians. dispite being civilised factions they're unable to build health care beyond public bath. not helped by the fact both faction usually have an insane growth rate in alot of the major cities.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Code:
    add_population "city" -10000
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre
    Code:
    add_population "city" -10000
    Thanks for the tip, but i prefer not to use cheat codes. Is there any great way to deal with the squalor problem without doing anything supernatural.

Take all of your troops out of the city, let it rebel, destroy the army and exterminate the population. Had to do this a couple times myself with Carthage. I'm not sure if there's any better way once it gets to a certain point.
    Last edited by Punicus; 02-22-2008 at 16:31.
    "In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus
    and proud.

I've actually never found the public sewers, baths etc, to be very effective and taking away squalor. Maybe 10% subraction at the most. The only real benefit the health facilities give to public order is the heart icons they add on the positives of public order, under settlement details.

The way I deal with squalor is to know the cities where it is most prone to strike, and then build public order buildings (temples etc) en masse. Such cities like this are Corduba, Carthage, Patavium (), Antioch, Alexandria, Memphis, Byzantium, Selucia, and a few more. My strategy is relying on my prior experience, and knowing which cities that squalor is prone to.
    Eshmunazar lol

Quote Originally Posted by Punicus
    Take all of your troops out of the city, let it rebel, destroy the army and exterminate the population. Had to do this a couple times myself with Carthage. I'm not sure if there's any better way once it gets to a certain point.
    I used to do this as well, but don't you make more money with a higher population?

I've never noticed a significant difference in my income after exterminating the populace of a settlement. I'd like to think it would catch my eye quickly but I may have not been paying attention, so I could be wrong.
    "In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus
    and proud.

you lose major taxes but gain insane amountsnof money. Plus with a Roman faction you could have it as a senate mission to retake it, giving you an added bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom0
    you lose major taxes but gain insane amountsnof money. Plus with a Roman faction you could have it as a senate mission to retake it, giving you an added bonus.
    With the Romans I don’t have to do such a thing because I’m able to build advanced health projects. The real trouble comes with Egypt and Carthage; both have insane population growth and no health buildings. I’m constantly hit with the plague in larger cities.

I find myself agreeing with the original poster, however, whenever i launch a major invasion i attempt to get me a couple of major armies. However, you have to count on luck as much as your skill in combat. I once got super lucky and the scippi had put all of their factions family members in the same city. I had then sacked them because I had managed to slaughter them all with my super amazing archers and cavalry.

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Health buildings don't only increase public order, they also increase population growth, so health is a short-term solution at best. I like to build peasant units and then send them out to underpopulated towns to give them a boost towards a higher tier. For example, you could send those peasants from Carthage to Nepte.
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Carthage pumps troop non-stop. But they are normally high tier ones. Especially elephants and SB cavalry.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast