Thread: Frustrating problem with multiple stack attacks.

Member Member Ferocious Imbecile's Avatar

When I'm making multiple stack assaults on provinces held by multiple stack defenders, I'm trying to carefully arrange the initial units into the fray, since the beginning of the attack defines the rest of the battle and it is lost or won right off the bat. If your best units are going to randomly appear on the battlefield after the garbage army the computer has placed in initially for you has been routed, they are going to be decimated piecemeal. How do I determine what units will start the battle for me in this situation? I'm getting really.....ANNOYED!! ]I WANT TO WIN.
    If you're not a communist when you're young, you don't have a heart. If you're not a fascist when you're old, you don't have a brain.

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Gah!

In WE this is easy; you can switch out the units during setup.

In STW, you have to be a little more inventive. The first units to enter play will be the ones stacked with the commander, so figure out which guy will command (the best general). Select the range of units you want with him for the first start.

For the reinforcements, there's no way to control the sequence. Try to send a mix; they enter in sequence by type, cavalry first if Krast remembers correctly, then the infantry guys in some sequence.

Try some experiements with this, and post again if need more help.

Gah!

Quote Originally posted by Krasturak:
    Gah!

In WE this is easy; you can switch out the units during setup.

In STW, you have to be a little more inventive. The first units to enter play will be the ones stacked with the commander, so figure out which guy will command (the best general). Select the range of units you want with him for the first start.

For the reinforcements, there's no way to control the sequence. Try to send a mix; they enter in sequence by type, cavalry first if Krast remembers correctly, then the infantry guys in some sequence.

Try some experiements with this, and post again if need more help.

Gah!
    [/QUOTE]

Aha! With the commander. That's it! Thanks.
    If you're not a communist when you're young, you don't have a heart. If you're not a fascist when you're old, you don't have a brain.

Quote Originally posted by Ferocious Imbecile:

Aha! With the commander. That's it! Thanks.
    [/QUOTE]

Actually, that doesn't work at all. Do yo mean to say that I am stuck with the units in order that they were created? That makes for a hopeless mess, an unwinnable game. I've got the entire Eastern half conquered, and now all these large stack problems are showing up. Basically the Strategy game turns into an unplayable unrealistic mess once you get more than about a stack and a half of units. now I'm getting 3 or 4 stacks of just my own troops alone and it's just too much BS. What a waste of a month and a half. Shit.

Senior Member Senior Member Ithaskar Fëarindel's Avatar

On a slightly different tone, try splitting your armies into 16, then keeping them in different provinces. That way when someone attacks, you only have 16 units in a province, and you know exactly which units you will get.

The way reinforcements work, you can very easily defeat an army of 3000 men with just 960.

Same applies in attacks, only attack with 960 men, and concentrate on driving the enemy into the seas rather than crushing him.

------------------
    Fëa-Quendi
    Fëa-Quendi

*~Member of the Ronin Warlords and of UGLI~*
    *~IthaskarRW~*

Running round in circles IS better, B!

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Ferocious Imbecile:
    Actually, that doesn't work at all. Do yo mean to say that I am stuck with the units in order that they were created? [/QUOTE]

It works fine in the STW version.

In the WE version you can switch the units during the setup phase using the little brown button at the top of the screen. Select the unit you don't like, and hit the button -- a unit is exchanged for it from the reserve.

So you can send in a stack of 4 or 5 16-unit armies, then select the desired units to begin the fight, and be happy.

You have less control over the reinforcements, which arrive in a sequence according to type. But it does work.

Krast likes to enter play with large numbers of archers for these huge battles. When they run out of arrows, withdraw them. Then you get the other units.

Try it.

Quote Originally posted by Ithaskar Fëarindel:
    On a slightly different tone, try splitting your armies into 16, then keeping them in different provinces. That way when someone attacks, you only have 16 units in a province, and you know exactly which units you will get.

The way reinforcements work, you can very easily defeat an army of 3000 men with just 960.

Same applies in attacks, only attack with 960 men, and concentrate on driving the enemy into the seas rather than crushing him.

[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct. Works just like you said. Attacking is usually more costly than defending it seems. Thanks.