Thread: Things to do BEFORE installing the game

Spindly Killer Fish Member ShellShock's Avatar

Default Things to do BEFORE installing the game

As us poor relations over here in Europe will be installing the game in the next few days, here is are some handy tips to prepare yourself and your other half (your PC that is).

1. Uninstall the Rome Total War Demo. There are rumours that the demo is not compatible with the full game, e.g., causing problems with not seeing all possible screen resolutions in the game video menu. Better safe than sorry.

2. Delete any unwanted clutter from your hard disk and defrag it, so it is like a virgin field of snow...

3. Update your graphic card drivers from the manufacturers web site: Nvidia or ATI

4. Some people recommend updating the firmware on your CD/DVD drive to ensure it won't have any problems reading the RTW CDs. It is possible a bad batch of CDs hit the States last week - hope we don't get that here

5. Turn off any virus scanner software before installing - this has been recommended by Activision support.

6. Create a system restore point. In Windows XP this is under Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. You can also get to it from Start, Help and Support.

7. If you've already got DirectX 9.0c installed (it comes with Windows XP Service Pack 2, or as a separate download), do not install DirectX from the RTW installer. The version of DirectX included with RTW is 9.0b (i.e., older), and it could screw up your DirectX configuration, as it does not seem to detect that you have a later version already, and you end up with a mix. To see what version of DirectX you have, run dxdiag.

8. The installer also requests that you first disable any CD/DVD emulation software, such as Alcohol/Daemon Tools.

9. If you do have any installation problems, check the dedicated .COM forum. eradosan (admin at the .com) has created a web site for known problems and workarounds/fixes.

10. Stock up on your favourite poison, lock all the doors, and prepare to make war

That's all I can think of. Anyone got any more?
    Last edited by ShellShock; 10-01-2004 at 08:47.
    He does sit in gold, his eye red as 'twould burn Rome.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Talking Re: Things to do BEFORE installing the game

10. Install sleepingbag over chair so you don't need to move away from it.

Thanks, while I won't really need it (can't play the game properly on my comp and is getting a new one soon).
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Default Re: Things to do BEFORE installing the game

I'm going to sound like a bit of an idiot here, but what is firmware? Similar to drivers?

Man, I'm so psyched, I can't wait for friday, I've got all of the mods I intend to install ready downloaded (Unit speed, kill speed, timer), and I've been reading the Colleseum all week. I haven't been this excited about a game since Ocarina of Time...
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShellShock

6. If you've already got DirectX 9.0c installed (it comes with Windows XP Service Pack 2, or as a separate download), do not install DirectX from the RTW installer. The version of DirectX included with RTW is 9.0b (i.e., older), and it could screw up your DirectX configuration, as it does not seem to detect that you have a later version already, and you end up with a mix. To see what version of DirectX you have, run dxdiag.
    It didnt do that to me (I checked after seeing this), but better safe than sorry

7. The installer also requests that you first disable any CD/DVD emulation software, such as Alcohol/Daemon Tools.
    It worked fine for me and for a number of others to leave those progs on.
    Last edited by SpencerH; 09-29-2004 at 22:03.
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

And most importantly... (for those of us with wives and children)

Start coming home from work acting depressed. When your SO asks you about it, explain that there's a big deadline coming up and you're going to have to work at home all weekend. You're going to have to really focus to get everything done by Monday, so you won't be able to take care of the kids this weekend. Oh, and that shopping trip to the outlet mall? Gotta get put on hold. You'll be in the study with door closed...um...concentrating.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THE LATEST ATI drivers. Especially if you have a 9800 pro.

My experience with ATI drivers is always use the second to latest unless there is a specific bug you are experiencing that is addressed in the latest drivers.

I can tell you that I had glitches in both RTW and CoD:UO with the latest ATI cat drivers.
    Jacta alea est!

Quote Originally Posted by Big King Sanctaphrax
    I'm going to sound like a bit of an idiot here, but what is firmware? Similar to drivers?
    Yes firmware is software that is held in permanent flash memory (doesn't need any power to maintain it).

A lot of hardware devices have firmware that can be updated: motherboards, CD drives, hard disks, PDAs; I've even updated my DVD recorder. Firmware updates often contain bug fixes and sometimes new features. Google for the model name and "firmware".

A note of caution: you have to be careful when updating firmware that the update process is not interrupted at all (power surges/outages), as this can leave your hardware in an unrecoverable state.

"Shine on you crazy diamond".

When you get to play as carthage be prepared to get owned and pwned by the scipii at the at the time. And when you play as parthia be prepared to get the same from Egypt. Just to compete as carthage and parthia I had to cheat like A.N.S.P.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Something else I've thought of to do before installing: create a system restore point. In Windows XP this is under Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. You can also get to it from Start, Help and Support.

Not long now fellas.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Good post.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

can someone list all the mods available and where to download them or a post which lists them?

Thanks
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Quote Originally Posted by Sjakihata
    can someone list all the mods available and where to download them or a post which lists them?
    This is the most comprehensive list I've found.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THE LATEST ATI drivers. Especially if you have a 9800 pro.
    I've been using Omega Drivers on my 9800Pro for some time and they work great. They've really improved my performance ability (fps) in multiplayer action games. I'm not at my home computer right now, but I'm 99% sure the address for the site is simply www.omega.com. They also enable you to get rid of some of the ATI driver support stuff, much to my satisfaction.
    Our greatest glory lies not in never having fallen, but in rising every time we fall. Oliver Goldsmith

Pelekyphoros Barbaros Member Rurik the Chieftain's Avatar

Post Re: Things to do BEFORE installing the game

Nice guide. These words I shall heed.

Great info. I also suggest if u are going to mod to make back up files
    Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

Hmm, perhaps you could add this?

11: Go to D:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

open Descr_strat and change this:

playable
    romans_julii
    romans_brutii
    romans_scipii
    carthage
    end
    unlockable
    egypt
    seleucid
    parthia
    gauls
    germans
    britons
    greek_cities
    end
    nonplayable
    romans_senate
    macedon
    pontus
    armenia
    dacia
    scythia
    spain
    thrace
    numidia
    slave
    end

to this:

playable
    romans_julii
    romans_brutii
    romans_scipii
    carthage
    egypt
    seleucid
    parthia
    gauls
    germans
    britons
    greek_cities
    romans_senate
    macedon
    pontus
    armenia
    dacia
    scythia
    spain
    thrace
    numidia
    end
    unlockable

end
    nonplayable

slave
    end

Just a thought, and it might reduce afew noob questions about unlocking factions.

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose
    Hmm, perhaps you could add this?

11: Go to D:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

open Descr_strat and change this:

playable
    romans_julii
    romans_brutii
    romans_scipii
    carthage
    end
    unlockable
    egypt
    seleucid
    parthia
    gauls
    germans
    britons
    greek_cities
    end
    nonplayable
    romans_senate
    macedon
    pontus
    armenia
    dacia
    scythia
    spain
    thrace
    numidia
    slave
    end

to this:

playable
    romans_julii
    romans_brutii
    romans_scipii
    carthage
    egypt
    seleucid
    parthia
    gauls
    germans
    britons
    greek_cities
    romans_senate
    macedon
    pontus
    armenia
    dacia
    scythia
    spain
    thrace
    numidia
    end
    unlockable

end
    nonplayable

slave
    end

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose
    Just a thought, and it might reduce afew noob questions about unlocking factions.
    And would introduce questions like why is senate buged if I click this button.

Or god forbid if someone is playing 1.3, it will CTD instantly.
    Last edited by player1; 03-08-2006 at 02:21.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by lars573
    When you get to play as carthage be prepared to get owned and pwned by the scipii at the at the time. And when you play as parthia be prepared to get the same from Egypt. Just to compete as carthage and parthia I had to cheat like A.N.S.P.
    HAs can outrun anything the Egyptians can field... so unless you don't know how to play the battle there's no way Parthia gets massacred.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

How do you actually install two separate versions of the RTW on your PC. I keep trying to do an install, but all the installer keeps asking me (from setup.exe), is whether I want to remove RTW and all its features from my current install.

Should I just copy all the files in the Activision folder into another (Activision 2 perhaps), or just install again (if so, how?)

flabbergasted.

many thanks.

I am pretty sure you cant install the game twice. You can just copy the folders and I dont think you have to install them.

-We do the impossible every day, miracles take a bit longer- Air Force Motto

Ahh ok. Thanks.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garvanko
    How do you actually install two separate versions of the RTW on your PC. I keep trying to do an install, but all the installer keeps asking me (from setup.exe), is whether I want to remove RTW and all its features from my current install.

Should I just copy all the files in the Activision folder into another (Activision 2 perhaps), or just install again (if so, how?)

flabbergasted.

many thanks.
    Just go to your Rome Total War directory*, then copy the folder named Data.

That's all there is to it.

* for example:

C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War(\Data)

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Well I copied the whole RTW folder into a new folder (Activision 2). Did all this before I read your post Dutch Guy.

Everything is working fine now, though. Thanks.

What are the steps to do in order to install the game patched and updated to the latest version? I have RTW, BI and Alexander. All retail version, no digital.

There was a guide some time ago, now I can't find it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Matteo; 01-15-2016 at 09:50.