Thread: STW and MI: Two games or one?

I've been getting back into STW since I bought MTW, and I've noticed something: even though I have separate STW and MI folders, I really have only one game: MI. The only game that ever launches now is MI. In fact, neither original STW CD allows the launching of anything, it wants the MI CD before it launches.

It's been so long since I installed it I forget: should I have two separate games or was MI a "real" expansion pack and it should really be the only launchable game? Finally, am I losing anything by not having access to the original STW?

I thought I'd ask here before I went to the trouble of reinstalling. My MI version is 1.02, for what it's worth. Thanks in advance.

The original game was STW, Shogun; no Mongols, no battle field nijas, no crossbows, no gesha's stiptease... (just wanted to see if you were paying attention)

MI is the Mongol Invasion expanstion

Warloard Edition was STW and MI combined into one game. (no need to buy MI)

As Dej2 says.
    Like myself you had Shogun Total War and then installed Mongol Invasion expansion pack.
    Like myself you have found that your pc wants the MI disc before it will play.
    MI overwrites STW making it WE so to speak.
    Unfortunately the only way you can enjoy STW again is to reinstall it to a different address. For nostalgic value this would be nice as some things in MI/WE v1.02 were not so good, online that is.
    My suggestion is this - Download the Statswapper 3 from Shogun Files. It contains various stats and the ability to swap from one set to another. Currently there are ...
    v1.01
    v1.02
    103 Mod
    105 Toda's Mod

103 is in my opinion the only way to play Sengoku Jidai battles, every unit plays its part and none are too strong. You have to take part in a 103 game to believe it. The battle is more like a battle and less like a race, there is time for strategy and manoeuvres. The ultimate experience is a 'big' game 3v3 or 4v4. I have been in many that have lasted way over an hour.
    I would say 103 sits somewhere between old STW and v1.02, but it's the best I've played.

105 has improved the Mongols, cav units are now 60 instead of that awful 48 in v1.02. Units are much better balanced than in v1.02 and 103. If you can beat a Japanese army with Mongols in 103 you are one heck of a General. 105 has made the contest more even with bonuses to h2h units as well as cav, not forgetting Toda's naughty nags. The Mongols have a trick or two as well with faster cav (they are too slow in 103)and 40 men units of mental Thunder Bombers. Try this stat and I will guarantee a rejuvinated interest in Mongol games. A 3v3 battle will be one to remember.

My verdict is this.....

For Sengoku Jidai.....103
    For Mongol v Hojo.....105
    For Mongol v Mongol...103 or 105

Hope we see you online

.....Orda

------------------
    " Send us your ambassadors and thus we shall judge whether you wish to be at peace with us or at war..if you make war on us the Everlasting God, who makes easy what was difficult and makes near what was far, knows that we know what our power is."

Thanks, guys! Once I tune up my battle skills again, I may try some online play. Problem: due to line problems I rarely get better than 26KB out of my 56KB modem.

I will give the mods a try though.

Great! Let us know what you think.
    Though the difference is far more apparent when fighting a human general.

One thing I forgot to mention was the koku level. We have found 8000 koku to be the best for a realistic battle.

....Orda

------------------
    " Send us your ambassadors and thus we shall judge whether you wish to be at peace with us or at war..if you make war on us the Everlasting God, who makes easy what was difficult and makes near what was far, knows that we know what our power is."

Quote Originally posted by GuyInAtlanta:
    Thanks, guys! Once I tune up my battle skills again, I may try some online play. Problem: due to line problems I rarely get better than 26KB out of my 56KB modem.

I will give the mods a try though.
    [/QUOTE]

Atlanta, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The entire time I played STW online, I was on a 56k. I did have to avoid 8 player games and definitely 4 or 6 player games that took place in heavy rain or snow, but that seemed to lag everyone, not just me.

------------------
    Koga no Goshi

"Hokusai"
    Now as a spirit
    I shall roam
    the summer fields.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.