Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dacia

Man behind the screen Member Empirate's Avatar

Default Re: Dacia

The answer to that lies in your own perceptions. You need to draw Phalanx units apart (Spear Warband are nothing else), then fall on their flanks. Pezhetairoi gives a good account on how to do this with infantry - but cavalry is even better. Just remember not to fight it out with them for too long: Charge into a flank or backside, then withdraw once the charge has worn off and your men have to fight in a more drawn-out melee. Also, decimating them with missiles before engaging should not be underestimated. Even from head on, when you only kill very few with each volley, it wears down morale. If they have to turn a lot to chase your units around, they'll expose their rear to missile fire, making shield bonuses useless.
    Just make sure the enemy cavalry is gone before playing this game, or it could get nasty.
    People know what they do,
    And they know why they do what they do,
    But they do not know what what they are doing does
    -Catherine Bell

I can't play the Dacians for some reason.

I edited the descd_strat.txt adn placed dacia under the playable factions but when I try to play them the game crushes, the same thing with thracians and other non playable factions

someone help?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Sounds like something got corrupted.

Reload fresh, then edit again?

Others will offer advice as well, don't jump on my suggestion yet.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Already tried to reload the fresh file and then to edit again and the same problem to some of the factions. Didn't touched the senate....

I don't get it

did you put the slaves as playable, if you did, it might be that

That shouldn't matter. Just make sure you delete the names when you move them to playable, and you really shouldn't have any problems.

IMO, the problem with Dacia is that you need to take the Macedonian & Greek cities fast to get your economy running.
    But if you do that, you'll most likely get hit hard by the scripted plague in Macedonia.

I forgot about that in my current campaign, and all my armies (excluding garrisons in other cities of course), and all but one of my family members got infected :(

anybody please help me know how to play as dacia!!!there my favoriate factoin and i have to play as dum pld gaul
    :

i got same prbelm dude.
    :

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

you have to modify the factions list in the game to play. There's a stickied thread in the entrance hall on unlocking factions.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

thanks man,ill go easy on if e fight battle online!
    :

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

The Dacians are certainly an very interesting faction to play as, early on they face economical problems. use your dipolimat to get trade rights and sell map info to anyone you see. Military you have generally 3 direction for early expansion. West to the weak reblesettlement which is easy picking but very undeveloped. East into Thracia. or south into Macedonia. I decided to go for the middle option. Thracia haven't got very powerful armies and also has valueble sea trading ports. Militia Hoplite will rout once hit on the flanks or rare. opposition Falxmen should be hit by cavalry, don't bother chasing militia cavalry, they'll come to you after they ran out of ammo. Make alliance with both Scythia and Macedon then take Thrace. do not masscre the population. after taking 2 extra cities you'll have some money at least to develope your economy. try to keep your relation sweet with Scythia, you have no wish to fight them, their land is remote and it would take more than 5 years just for you to reach Campus Alanni. after Thrace take Byzantium, if it is held by the Macedonians than attack Thessalonia with the biggest army you could build. don't assult the city if there is enough Phalanx troops to hold you off, wait for reinforcement from south of Bylazora. after taking Thessalonica enslave the populations and move for Byzantium and Bylazora. try to fight the Macedonians in open fields instead of cities for obvious reasons. train Falxmen in masses. these trustwrothy guys are great advantage against all other level 2 troops. possiblely the most powerful troop you can train in large town settlement. your economy should be stable now. continue your friendly relation with Scythia and you can look elsewhere, eventually with Chosen swordsmen and Barbarian Noble Cavalry you could head confidently into the Balkans, or even Italy.

The Falxmen are a great advantage to the Dacians early on, use them to crush your enemies!

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusJulius-Cicero
    The Falxmen are a great advantage to the Dacians early on, use them to crush your enemies!
    yeah totally considering their stats are similarly overpowered when you look at them, ahem "level 2 barracks". the only one tht comes close is probobly the swordsmen for gaul or teh spear warband for germany.

I haven't given Dacia much of a chance should I?

I find Dacia a fascinating faction to play but I've had the same problems with it that I had with Hungary in M2TW. I tend to get overrun by multiple enemies before I'm able to secure myself financially. Using some strategies I read here, I steam rolled Thrace relatively easily and was, as a result able to secure some sea trade and even send an army to Chersoneos. Unfortunately this precipitated a 3-pronged war against Macedon, Scythia and Germania that I was simply unable to survive.

I've reproduced this same deleterious situation on several occasions, each time facing a multi-stack onslaught from some combination of the aforementioned factions. It really does illustrate how the AI factions treat the human player differently than there own kind. I've seen Dacia expand and last for long periods of time, usually being crushed by the Bruti when it's controlled by the AI, for example. At any rate I'm trying to decide on a more realistic way of surviving as Dacia. I've even thought of packing it in and moving to Kydonia, at least giving me a secure base of operations, and perhaps giving me a chance to secure Rhodes as well which would be a huge boost. It's even possible if I play my cards right I could secure Kydonia, Rhodes and Halicarnassus.

I don't know how wise such a move would be, at the least it'd be exciting. I just need to get out of the three-pronged vice grip that the traditional Dacian lands provide. I wonder if anyone else has tried this? There was a recent post on faction migrations, Seems like it might be an appropriate strategy here. Cheers!
    "Religion is a thing which the king cannot command, because no man can be compelled to believe against his will..."

Best Laugh on the Seven Seas Member Good Ship Chuckle's Avatar
    Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

Mass migration will certainly add to the drama of the campaign, but of all the places to found your promised land...Kydonia? If you've got the guts, go ahead, just realize that Kydonia has around 1000 pop. Thats gonna drain fast when beginning a new empire. However, if you did secure Rhodes and Halicarnassus as well, then you might stand a better chance.
    Kydonia is one of those cities that you capture early on, and let develop w/out too much pressure. Really an economic city, rather than a military powerhouse.
    When your mama jokes aren't funny anymore, who ya gonna call?
    Eshmunazar lol

Laughin' out loud since 251 BC.

Post Re: Dacia

yeah I'm thinking of Kyodnia more as a refuge. My biggest problem as Dacia is getting hammered by too many stacks and factions all at once. And I can't really seem to get an alliance with anyone. In M2TW I conquered Africa with Scotland so I'm sure victory is possible If a secure location can be found. Or more secure at any rate. The Thracians might be a better choice as defending cities, even with militia hoplites can be an easy sell, especially against cavalry armies like those that Scythia will send at you. At any rate Dacia shouldn't be impossible it's just not a faction I've ever used before.

It might also be possible to abandon Campus Iazyges and Porolissum and transfer to the Thracian realms, Campus Geatae (sp), Tylis and Byzantium to form a more defensible frontier. Given the absurd aggressiveness of the AI on hard/hard reducing the war fronts is helpful. I'll have to see how it works out.
    "Religion is a thing which the king cannot command, because no man can be compelled to believe against his will..."

If you still plan to go to kydonia take a few units of peasents to help with the population.

Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

My advice on fighting greeks with Dacia is not to engage them in the cities. The allyways cover the hoplite's flanks better, so make sure to fight them in the open field. In such case, your falxmen/barb-cav etc. can out maneuver the hoplites, and hit them in the flank. Right where it hurts!
    Eshmunazar lol

General of Carthage Member Hannibalbarc's Avatar

The Dacian military is very good, early on you get falxmen and archers plus babarian cav, later on you get chosen swordsmen, chosen archers, and noble cav, so really they have a strong balanced military, btw chosen swordsmen are some of the most underestimated units in rtw, they are like falxmen with armor and shields.
    Well, the only thing that Dacians lack is a good economy, luckily Greece is nearby.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head- Euripides

Dacia might be the faction for a unified front against the might of Rome. Germans are easy prey early on, out manoever them pikes like Chuckle said out in the field. Thrace to secure trade, easy rebel land nearby to earn a bit of an income... then the whole northern land is your oyster.

Smile Re: Dacia

Well I managed to have some success with Dacia by rushing Greece early on and abandoning my home territories early. The problem is when I got into "Phase II' if you will, against the Bruti, a contest that lasted many years and though I managed to reduce them down to 3 provinces I'm nearing 200 BC and I've got less than 20 regions to my name. I'd say in terms of survivability I've done well, I just need to discover how to actually expand my empire.

Chosen Swordsmen are good especially heavily upgraded and I've found I can compete with Rome when I have defensive qualities working in my favor. At this point I'm just trying to avoid the Julii as they'd probably steamroll me at this point, I even gave Pontus Iuvavum so I'd be sure not to share a border with Caesar's faction. I certainly can see how quickly the barbarian factions limitations on city advancement can be a problem. In alot of my occupied cities I have to deal with huge culture penalties as the places I occupy are often more advanced than my maximum level of technology, one reason why I've found exterminating the population the only viable option.

There is a certain charm however to the Dacian horde conquering Greece and Cyprus from much more advanced and ancient civilizations. Interesting stuff at any rate.

I reccomend you need a decisive blow against the Romans, to put yourself centerstage. IMO, you should polish off the rest of the Brutii with a spear point attack with concentrated forces. Secure the ankle of Italy, and then attack the Scipii on Sicily or Capua.
    However, this might not be possible if 1)You autoresolve your battles OR 2)Lacking decisive battlefield skills.
    Eshmunazar lol

Cool Re: Dacia

I have enough skills to defeat the romans defensively, but against Legionary Cavalry, Legionary and Praetorian Cohorts and Urban Cohorts life can be very difficult. The Scipiones and Bruti are relatively weak so it might be possible for me to take them out relatively quickly, on the other hand the Julii can field very powerful armies and even fully upgraded chosen swordsmen have their troubles with late-era upgraded Marian troops.

At this point I'm thinking of recovering my homelands in Dacia, and then fitting out a navy and a few stacks to steamroll sicily, which I could then use a base to remove the Bruti from Bruttium and Apulia. This could also be a springboard to Carthage. In any event I'll have to deal with the Romans at some point and better to get rid of the weak ones first. I'm pleased with my progress I just need to finish things up.

Well my Dacian campaign has devolved into a kind of boring, overly dramatic affair. Defeating and Fighting the Romans in the field is next to impossible. My fully upgraded armies of Chosen Swordsmen and Barbarian Noble Cavalry melt away against the onslaught of the Julii. Even in city defenses I stand to lose 40-60% of the my men fighting against wave after wave of legionary, urban and praetorian cohorts.

I'm still making progress, slowly. I took Southern Italy and Sicily, then Carthage and I'm in the process of sieging Cirta. These cities were lightly defended however and I relied on overwhelming numbers and other distractions to gain the advantage. Another problem I'm dealing with is my cities are in a constant near state of revolt. Most have a 45% culture penalty on top of distance from capital and huge squalor issues. Even with low taxes and full stack garrisons they hover around 70-75% happiness. And as I mentioned on TWC I shiver to think what kind of super-upgraded uber-armies would appear if any of my Roman possessions were to revolt.

The fact is I'm well dug in and defended but I can't really expand, I can't spare men for my field army and my revenue, despite my holdings in Greece is simply not good enough to support me. My dominions are also spread out over a large area and by bodies of water, this necessities large naval investments, including the establishment of overwhelming numeric superiority just to keep one port in contact with another. Certainly I've proven to myself that surviving as Dacia and establishing a Dacian Empire is entirely doable, the long haul is however less certain.

At this point I don't know what my next move is, or if there is a next move. I'd need at least 4 full stacks with siege equipment to even considering attacking the many stacks around Rome/Capua and for the moment I can't envisage any means of making that happen. It has been a fun campaign though. I've got 25 regions and I'm pleased with my progress at least up to this terminal point. What comes next is anyones guess.

Roman is very hard to take out after being establised and the Marian reforms. That's why I tend to play as a faction that can hinder their progress and posiblily destroy them early on (Carthage, Gaul.....). The Seleucid definetly could stand up to the Romans with an high tier army, The Egyptians, using their unique units maybe. While Parthia with an cavalry reliant army gonna need lots of Cataphracts to defeat the Roman legions, just horse archers isn't enough.

I've been able to neutralize the Romans on more than one occasion with the Greek Cities and Macedon, and one time in the past even as Gaul. It's definitely possible, but with Dacia the problem is, like it was with other factions in RTW 1.0 (for me anyway) city management. With my armies bogged down in ineffectual garrison duty there's not much more for me to do, and even at full blitz it would have been hard to eliminate all three Roman families. Many of my cities are at the point that even with low taxes and full garrisons they're in red-face land and rioting. Not sure what I could do, or could have done to prevent that.

It is at any rate definitely doable to expand and survive as Dacia, the question I have is what to do in the long run, how to survive against the Romans and how to neutralize those massive 45% culture penalties you get when you take over cities that exceed your own limited tech-advancement and have the wrong culture to begin with. Wonder if anyones got any experience here that could shed light on that subject?

To minimize cultural penalty you'll need to break a lot of buildings and probably "lather - rinse - repeat" a few of the cities to make them cash cows.

1. Convert some cities to your way of thinking by changing over all the buildings that you can change to their barb equivalents. Won't overcome not having the government center, but is of some help -- especially if you can reach a majority barb in some of the smaller venues.

2. You can't keep all of your cities as high recruit zones. Pick a few port cities and break all military buildings and social buildings, leaving only the economically lucrative ones. Move out the garrison and let them rebel; exterminate, then quickly repeat. You will now have a very small and easily garrisoned cash-cow city. You won't be able to recruit there for 20+ years, if ever, so don't do this to all of them. Ludicrous behavior in terms of empire building, but the vanilla game loves it.

3. Keep fighting the Romans only at defensive choke points like bridges or towns in which you have nice archer garrisons (buy every Cretan you can for range). Always sally and bait the Romans forward into your archers and towers -- you must attrit them well down or you will keep losing half a garrison in each city assault. Always have a couple units of cavalry ready for these sallies. The AI often positions its troops in front of a gate and then moves to the corner where they started on the strat map. This often gives you a chance to over-run slower movers lagging behind the main force -- onagers for example -- and reduce the threat you face in the subsequent assault.

4. Save costs by reducing your navy greatly. Yes, you will have a port or two out of the network every single turn, but the cost of this loss of trade is less than the cost of a fleet trying to cover everything. All you really need is a transport large enough not to be sunk. Go port to port as much as you can and avoid battle. Against a human opponent this would be suicide -- you'd have EVERY port blockaded. The AI is not so methodical.

5. Take Rhodes for the Colussus bonus --- you need every drachmae.

hey guys , i would like to share some of my commends on dacia .
    i have play most of the factions and get victories before.
    in my experience, dacia is a very powerful contury .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast