Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thrace

nudge nudge, wink wink Member GrimSta's Avatar

Default Re: Thrace

ive been playing around with Thrace, and have added Thracian Noble Cavalry to the third tier stables, and also added Levy Pikemen to second tier barracks.

If anyone wants this then i can upload it somewere for download.
    "I'm right and everyone else is wrong or has taken too much LSD."

well, i would. Do you have unit cards for them too, or are they grey peasants?

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

nudge nudge, wink wink Member GrimSta's Avatar

its got unit cards, unit info cards and im updating it to make it slightly more historical (they are on the border of 3 totaly differant nations so they have a military that reflects their neighbors)
    So in the next version of it expect:

Thracian Noble Cavalry
    Thracian Heavy Peltasts
    Getic Horse Archers
    Levy Pikemen
    Bastarnae have lower defence, slightly improved attack and horde formation
    Thrace starts off with Byzantium
    Faction Leader's army starts off with 1 noble cav, 1 milita hoplite, 1 levy pikemen, 1 falx men and the faction leader - he is in Byzantium also

The changes i thought were what was needed, if you think i should add/remove anything then please say......this was made to make the campaign more enjoyable, not stupidly easy.

EDIT:
    here is the link, and also screenshots of Beta v1.0
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=57210
    Last edited by GrimSta; 11-25-2005 at 17:57.
    "I'm right and everyone else is wrong or has taken too much LSD."

inquierer Member Rome:Total Slayer's Avatar

thrace is a #$%@^ to play as . you start with very little money and resources all of the surrounding factions attack you and they all have good horsemen and you have no means of defendig your self I've failed twice and am thinking of editing the starting army to my liking.
    Last edited by Rome:Total Slayer; 04-14-2006 at 20:01.
    Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

As Thrace you just have to concentrate everything on Dacia first in my opinion (which doesn't take long to win), then move to Macedonia.

I don't think it's very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon
    As Thrace you just have to concentrate everything on Dacia first in my opinion (which doesn't take long to win), then move to Macedonia.

I don't think it's very hard.
    In my last game things got interesting AFTER taking out Dacia. Campus Iazyges became the lightning rod of the Germans who sent out army after army... Naturally, that's when the Scythians decided to attack Porrolissium and Macedon came after Tylis.

I finally got fed up with fighting the Germans and sent my faction heir and another young family member into the heart of Germany with a full stack. After taking Damme and Trier the German attacks finally stopped. With my expansion into Greece I got into the expected confrontation with the Brutii, but thanks to my presence in central Germany I also had to deal with the Britons.

I agree: Not very hard, just very interesting!

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

In Vanilla, I have always found Thrace to be a tough opponent.

Those *&^(*^ Bastarnae race across the whole map at double time and arrive at my lines only "winded!" And the Falx aren't noticeably slower.

His cavalry gets hammered, but cuts into my cavalry a bit before breaking.
    My archers fire at the falx and Bast, my spears and swords take the hit and my cavalry slashes in from the flanks. Some tough fighting, but then they break away.

THEN his malfing pikes show up with archers shooting along with. My cavalry is already down 60% in numbers and tired, many of my arrows are gone, and slices have been taken off of every unit in the line.

Yes its beatable, but if there is a faction out there that can fight without cavalry its Thrace.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Use falx and you will win, in my opinion.

The falxmen are a good unit, but they don't guarantee victory. Turn them round (so their backsides are facing the enemy) and see how useful they are then..

to Grimsta:
    I would really like to use your mini-mod as playing Thrace has appealed to me for some time but their lack of decent cavalry is irritating - I tried to dload your mod but the site you hosted it on has removed it - I was wondering if you could upload it again somewhere?

Do Falxmen have any bonuses against cavalry? They seem to be able to wipe the floor with all light and some heavy cav units in my game as Thrace.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Time: 237-ish BCE.

Politics:

At war = Dacia (betrayed alliance), Scythia (betrayed alliance), Macedonia (betrayed alliance, signed cease fire, signed alliance, betrayed alliance again), Seluecia (betrayed alliance), and all of the Roman factions.

Neutral = Greece (attacked me, signed cease fire when only Rhodes was left in the Aegean), Egypt (attacked me, signed cease fire after losing two 3/4 stacks in Anatolia, Armenia, Germania.

Allies = Pontus (no further West than Ancyra), Gaul, Briton, Spain (eradicated by Gaul, Carthage and the Julii).

Income & Forces: Doing nicely. Can't build everything (but getting stuff built) but each city has a half stack garrison (50% real troops) and I have a 3/4 stack cavalry army in Getae, and Full stack infantry forces in Anatolia and Thessalia and I am still netting 5k+. Lots of mercs in the Cav army and as "the shot" in the infantry forces.

Territories:

Start + Byz, Byza, Lari, Therm, Ath, Cor, Spar, Kyd, Hali, Sard, Perg, Nico.

Approach: Did not initiate war, built alliances with all neighbors. Took Byz, Nico, Hali, Kyd, then Spar with my intial attack army. Force structure too weak to fight further (so Mac and Scy instantly attacked). Slowly fought for and took Cor, Therm, and Ath, then rebuilt and took Lari (Bruti after Thermon, bloodily repulsed, assassins going to Appo). Byza snapped up by plagued war hero, Sardis acquired after Selkie betrayal.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

!!!!!! thrace doesnt work for me. it always worked before, but now when i choose to play as them it automatically closes the program before i even start. some one please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Batarnae!!! Gotta love Thrace, both in multi and campaign. Bastarnae are definately one of the coolest units in the game. Campaign is decent with falxmen and phalanx pikes along with some hired cretans are a great combination, who needs cavalry anyway. In low $ multi they are surprisingly solid, Just let the bastarnae with some flaxmen do their thing with the infantry and cover the flanks with the pikes and you are all set.

-We do the impossible every day, miracles take a bit longer- Air Force Motto

It seems thrace doesn't get much love. I think it is definitely one of the more fun factions to play and falxmen as a unit mixed with hoplites/phalanxes add both interest and challenge.

They have a poor choice of temples (morale sucks compared to Exp). They also lack cavalry which as other people have noted isn't historically accurate.

Even without modding they arer still a fun faction, and in the early game several units of militia cavalry with the general can do fairly well against their neighbours, if you get the charge you will certainly beat light lancers.

For more interest you can mod them. There are a few ways I've liked:

easy way- edit the exportdescbuildings to give them access to the temple of artemis (just add thrace to the macedonians). This will give your cavalry up to +3 ranged and close attack which helps the cavalry situation a lot. It also doesnt have the negative effects of Ares either.

The other way I eventually modded them was to allow them to get barbarian noble cavalry (Dacian) and gothic cavalry at the highest level hippodrome.

Even if you donlt mod them my strategy has been very different from others here (although a little risky).

First problem is money. Pump up taxes. Also trade makes a lot of money so my first build in the capital is a port (also for other reasons). The second thing I do is get rid of all the peltasts- 170 upkeep for a unit that is weak in combat is not worth it at this time, there are 4-5 peltasts which saves you 6-700 per day. Capital builds a diplomat to talk to the greeks and macedonians (other diplomat heads to speak to dacia/scythia).

Your faction leader is getting on a bit but has a decent retinue- unless you want your hero in the capital to come along for the ride, have hime move to your faction leader and take the retinue before you move to attack on Byzantium.

As a greek faction ideally you want to be going for macedon/greece, personally I go straight for athens after byzantium. The capital has a port by the time you have byzantium (or before if your spy fails to open the gates). Thus you can have a ship down the coast soon after. You will need a character with the byzantine army before they move on to greece so you can either hope the faction leader will survive 5 years or you can take along the character in the capital at the start.

At VH/H, VH/M athens is almost always unconquered at this time. The one time it had been attacked i joined the siege with my ally (hence the diplomat is needed) and attacked the next turn thereby getting their assistance.

You now have a powerful city in Greece (soon to be your new capital) with an academy to get anilliaries. You also have acees to the excellent mercenary pool there (the reason you needed the character for athens). Now you can go through greece easily with one army of mercs and the byzantine army. Works very well and you are attacking along short lines as opposed to the longer supply lines to attack macedon from your initial base. You have 2 mercenary pools next to athens as well (the grecian and spartan). Also puts you near crete as a quick painless land grab and Rhodes for the colossus.

Also you have an army with a mixture of falxmen (who will demolish phalanxes/hoplites) and hoplite mercenaries (to take care of the macedonian cavalry).

The Dacians usually concentrate on macedon and against scythia you can bribe their armies or hold the bridge across the river easily enough.

The only real risk you run in the drive for Athens are the pirate fleets so you may want to disembark your troops at the end of each turn until you arrive. The sacking of the peltasts also frees up some money for purchasing mercenaries near the front.

i recently played as Thrace,guess what unit that i use to expand my empire?
    militia hoplite and mix of some falxmen and militia cavalry,15 militia hoplites mix 2 falxmen mix 2 militia cavalry and a general as an army,then 1 full stack of militia hoplites as reserve.Militia hoplites works as spearmen(phalanxe on) and swordmen(phalanxe off and guard off) at the sametime,phalanxe at the front and swordmen at second line,falxmen do the flanking job or get enemy archers away from my main light infantry and militia cavalry as archers killer.

Since i using militia hoplites,they are easy to get killed,so i need many of them,that means i need more populations to be recruit.Then i work on population growth first(population up!raw recruit increase and tax income increase).

Start of campaign i disband all those peltast(170denarii,i can maintain 17 militia hoplites compare to 10 peltast),then i head to Byzantium,Byzantium fall.With Byzantium 4.5 base farming level,i can get well supply of raw recruit of militia hoplites.

Militia hoplites is good as light infantry,very cheap to recruit and very cheap upkeep to maintain,just remember get the armourer builded when it show up in the list,with 6 attack and 9 defense,militia hoplites is oredi enough for you to conquer at early campaign.

Just makesure you get a general can boost their morale to lead them,and 1 most important rules for militia hoplites usage,always fight your enemy in numbers.

Until now i have completely wiped out the Julii,Brutii,SPQR and leaving Scipii at North Africa.2 more cities from completely conquer Spain,after that i will send my main army to take out the Britons at their main British isle.
    and i have 30000 militia hoplites as my regulars on the move,still increasing......Those militia hoplites performs quite good as swordmen as you keep your general behind them to lookout for them....

For my advice on start of campaign,try to ally with every neighbours,and build up your cities as fast as you can,build them in populations first,economy second policy,with no populations,you will have no men to recruit and no tax income.....dun fight anyone until someone engage you first except rebels independent city.Only watch out those your neighbours without any enemy.Those are more likely to attack you first if they do not attack anyone.

Take Chersonesos as fast as you can,coz it will supply you grain and increase your population growth after you build shiprights at your port cities and port at Chersonesos.Enslave every neighbouring cities when you take them.that will ensure you your supply of raw recruit.

surprises!i got a 16 years old general as military genius(+4 command) name Ziles at the start of my campaign.......that make me dun need to wasting time on train him up for command stars!
    Last edited by guineawolf; 07-31-2007 at 08:14.
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

Quote Originally Posted by GrimSta
    ive been playing around with Thrace, and have added Thracian Noble Cavalry to the third tier stables, and also added Levy Pikemen to second tier barracks.

If anyone wants this then i can upload it somewere for download.
    militia hoplites performs better as swordmen than levy pikemen for me,if i ever need phalanxes,i rather use phalanxe pikemen...... i will reconsider when i need more men to display my army at once.....

Quote Originally Posted by Roman_Man#3
    !!!!!! thrace doesnt work for me. it always worked before, but now when i choose to play as them it automatically closes the program before i even start. some one please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    perhaps there is a problem withing your descr_strat file??I have the same problem as you did when i try to unlock those extra factions for the first time...

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny
    Pretty standard Greek faction.

The falxmen are pretty nice; if you can get anything pinned to your phalanx they are even better

Macedonia comes after you early and their cavalry is annoying; .
    i agree with this="Macedonia comes after you early and their cavalry is annoying",yeah very annoying.I still remember at my early campaign how my general being slaughter by lancers on the conquest of macedonia,and that cause my militia hoplites army start to rout....and lose the battle...completely assasinate of my 3000 thracian light infantry...

about the choice of falxmen and bastarnae:falxmen got 0.87 lethality/13 attack while bastarnae got 1.00/14 attack,it seems that bastarnae is better flanker,
    and falxmen got 170 upkeep/500 while bastarnae got 130 upkeep/790 only.
    But bastarnae take 2 turn to produce while falxmen take only 1 turn.
    falxmen got better defense status while bastarnae got 2 hitpoints.For long term,i will choose bastarnae....
    and most importantly falxmen got 8 morale while bastarnae got 10 morale....
    it just the falxmen can be produce by militia barrack while bastarnae need army barrack to produce.
    Last edited by guineawolf; 08-01-2007 at 05:35.

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Thrace is possiblely one of hardest faction to play as. sourrounded by hostile nations with a relatively weak army. Thrace really isn't the ideal nation.

Best Laugh on the Seven Seas Member Good Ship Chuckle's Avatar
    Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

If I have to say one thing about the Thracians, is that their color scheme is terrible. That baby blue really doesn't suit their warriors. I find their falxmen to be quite laughable when they're dressed in what looks like bedtime pajamas. When I look at it up close to my moniter, it burns my eyes.

From a purely asthetic stand point, I find Thrace to be the worst. Even beyond the Pink Panther Parthians.
    When your mama jokes aren't funny anymore, who ya gonna call?
    Eshmunazar lol

Laughin' out loud since 251 BC.

Bedtime PJs. man, you're funny.

General of Carthage Member Hannibalbarc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guineawolf
    i agree with this="Macedonia comes after you early and their cavalry is annoying",yeah very annoying.I still remember at my early campaign how my general being slaughter by lancers on the conquest of macedonia,and that cause my militia hoplites army start to rout....and lose the battle...completely assasinate of my 3000 thracian light infantry...

about the choice of falxmen and bastarnae:falxmen got 0.87 lethality/13 attack while bastarnae got 1.00/14 attack,it seems that bastarnae is better flanker,
    and falxmen got 170 upkeep/500 while bastarnae got 130 upkeep/790 only.
    But bastarnae take 2 turn to produce while falxmen take only 1 turn.
    falxmen got better defense status while bastarnae got 2 hitpoints.For long term,i will choose bastarnae....
    and most importantly falxmen got 8 morale while bastarnae got 10 morale....
    it just the falxmen can be produce by militia barrack while bastarnae need army barrack to produce.
    Hmmm, I just did a test with dacian falxmen using warcry vs batarnae, they were pretty much evenly match but I think the warcry give the falxmen the victory.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head- Euripides

There's nothing wrong with the Parthian color scheme, what else would they color them? It suits them well.

Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

What other color would they give them? I dunno...Something that could be considered manly. Something that might strike terror into the hearts of their enemies.
    Anything other than a color scheme based upon baby blue. I'm sorry, but when I see the thracians in battle, I'm feel more compelled to tuck them in to bed, than clash swords with them.
    Last edited by Good Ship Chuckle; 01-24-2008 at 23:34.
    Eshmunazar lol

The Kingdom of Jerusalem faction in M2TW are pinker than the Parthians, yet they still kick ass. I wouldn't judge an army by it's appearance, as long as it has an advantage, which, in Parthia's case, an excellent selection of units.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahad I
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem faction in M2TW are pinker than the Parthians, yet they still kick ass. I wouldn't judge an army by it's appearance, as long as it has an advantage, which, in Parthia's case, an excellent selection of units.
    I don't actually judge the parthians/thracians based on color. If the army is strong, I will then fight rightly so. But honestly, if you are going to have an impressive faction, you should then at least have some impressive colors to go along with it. That's all I'm saying.
    Eshmunazar lol

Thrace is really hard - modded or not. I gave Thrace Horse Archers slightly better than the basic Scythian, but not as good as their Noble Horse Archers which I based the model on, available at the second tier stable and Thracian Nobles on the third tier stable - basically a reworked Sarmatian Cavalry - I left the charge at 10, but now I am thinking it's too good at that level - I am thinking of bringing it down.

The problem with Thrace is that everyone attacks you - Dacia, Scythia, Macedonia, then later the Germans (if they are strong) and the Brutii. I can win with the regular units, but it just made no sense for what I read is historically a nation with a lot of cavalry in their armies.

The new units don't make that much of a difference because you still have to produce them.

Probably a repeat, but after taking Byzantium, I would get rid of Dacia and take the closest Scythian city (forgot the name). On my game the Scythians asked for a peace deal soon after I took their capital.

Macedonia is a tough nut to crack because of their lancers, and the Brutii is no picnic either. I would advise against auto calculating your battles, specially against the Romans, I lost a couple of armies because I was lazy (I play M/M - I would guess it only gets tougher on higher levels).

In all prospect, I would have to rate Thracia as the worst faction in the game. Similar to the Seleucids, they're sourrounded by hostile faction early on with relative weak troops (both being Hellenic factions), but that's where the similarity ends. Useless temples, and their late tier troops also itsn't exactully world beaters either. but with the right commander they could yet achive the impossible-becoming the domanent faction in the game.

What do you mean by "worst"? However, I think you mean hardest. In which case I do agree (mostly). The Thraicians have a crappy starting position, a complete lack of high teir units, and their color scheme sucks too (sorry, but I had to bring it up again )
    Eshmunazar lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast