Thread: RTW: Fastest Path to "Huge" Cities?

Default RTW: Fastest Path to "Huge" Cities?

Now, while setting the AI spending slider all the way to the right and changing my Goverened cities to "growth" build mode works reasonably well, I'm sure there's got to be a faster way of getting my city population up.

I've heard of training peasant armies in other towns, sending them to the town I want increased, and discharging them there. It works with moderate success, but it lowers the population of my other towns where I will need to train my armies from.

Anyone have any useful tips for me?

Default Re: RTW: Fastest Path to "Huge" Cities?

Of course, if money's no object then all the improvements that boost population are a must - but I guess you're already doing that. Low taxes, farms and sanitation all work well together. If money is short, then things get more tricky. A lot of high-trade cash cow cities can go a long way towards supporting the growth of you capital and couple of other home cities.

If your city has a governor, a good way to enhance city growth is to embark on a campaign of vigorous conquest. Make sure you enslave the population of every city you come across, and you'll boost the population in governed cities. Of course, the problem is that this hurts the growth of these conquered cities later on - but maybe you don't care about the barbarians.

Enslavement, huh? Sounds good. Thankyou for the tip.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

The slaves only go to cities that have governors in them.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

Just be careful for slave riots... Read about it in the IGN article.... ;)

I don't think a fast growth is a path you want to take. I've been experimenting in a lot of ways to stop squalor, and it seems that a city will remain tame when is developed over a certain time.

People often become too hasty in trying to make a newly conquered city a worthwhile addition. But it seems that making too much use of "low taxes", and concentrating too much on tech developments biased(such as military/econmoy bdgs) only seems to inflate the problem.

Never, ever use low taxes. Even if it means a revolt. Cultural differences and Squalor dies out slowly. Also, your buildings need time to build. But the population growth rate is much faster than that when "low taxes" is used. It simply makes the problem worse, since the population rate is rising fast, but none of your key buildings are up yet, and squalor level keeps piling up as the population grows.

The distance to capital factor can't be solved, but the cultural differences can be managed a bit - destroy the religious buildings in the city and set up shrines/temples of your own. Also, destroy other institutional buildings which differs a lot from your own, such as circuses or arenas, if for example a Carthagian army captures a Roman city.

Replacing religious buildings of your own immediately lowers cultural difference about 5~10%. Destroying institutional buildings makes citizen tempers hard to manage in the short term, but in the long run, its much better.

In the end, the most ideal conditions of city growth is when you've built all the buildings needed to be built, and waiting for the population to increase to the next level.

I think fast growth can be beneficial in the early game, but later on it's better to take your time. If you've got enough of a jump on your rivals, you should be able to keep a step or two ahead of the pack, and the advantage will really show when you can march on Rome with leigonary and urban cohorts.

I'm playing Scipii and this "fast growth" method is only being employed in the capital city of Capua. My strategy differs from that of most other gamers, and here's why:

My capital city will be the nerve centre for operations abroad (hence the need to build it quickly). Once things are established, 90% of my troops will be built in Capua. The other cities (with the exceptions of the three Sicillian [sp?] towns and Carthage, which are currently building a strong navy & siege equipment) will be put to use as small-population revenue sources. The Italian boot is basically in the centre of the entire map and allows that strategy.

People will argue against these techniques, but I have less uprisings and revolts this way.

Oh yeah, and I reached a pop' of 24k in Capua by 245BC. It's my understanding that going any higher is a waste of my time... any dissenting opinions on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ptah
    Never, ever use low taxes. ... the population growth rate is much faster than that when "low taxes" is used. It simply makes the problem worse, since the population rate is rising fast, but none of your key buildings are up yet, and squalor level keeps piling up as the population grows.
    I'm coming around to the same way of thinking.

City management is totally different than in Medieval: Total War. There you wanted lower taxes for a while to build up great loyalty.

Frankly, loyalty of greater than 100 percent in R:TW appears to be something of a waste.

I haven't had many storms or disasters or other afflictions from the gods, which effect loyalty. I'm well into the game and haven't had a revolt yet.

It may all fly apart when the civil war begins. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by foop
    but maybe you don't care about the barbarians.
    I AM a barbarian, it will give my people great pleasure to have nice clean Roman slaves to abuse
    Do these slaves go to cities automatically or do you need to do something?

They go there automatically, it's split between the governed cities. I just had the thought, maybe on the turn before you take a settlement, you can take the governor out of the cities that you don't want population added to, and then use enslave after the battle, and then put the governors back in. Maybe that's a common strategy and I'm just slow ;) , but it sounds like it'll work.

As for loyalty over 100%, I try to keep it at ~125%, just because loyalty seems to decay somewhat as time goes on. It gives me a bit of a buffer zone.

@Mariux Maxentius: It's a good idea to spread your troop building around a bit, and not just focus on the capital. Since you have Sicily, that's a great place to build up troops. Two cities can focus on them, along with Capua, and then the other can build a navy. I used to play it your way (granted I've only used Brutii so far), but my troops get built in Tartenum and Croton, my two Italian cities, as well as Salona, and I build ships in Greece (Athens). I can get a good, balanced army in about 7 turns. Once you grow you can do this in two areas, and then you'll be very powerful.

I'll eventually expand to build more troops in other areas but, as I've seen, it's a good strategy to have a powerful navy early in the game and to keep a hold of ultimate naval supremacy for as long as you can. Once I have about 4 or 5 full-stack navies, I'll move on to troop production.

Carthage and that other town to the south of it are both building my armies right now, and I'm turning out full stacks in 5 turns (mercenaries take up about 25-40% of my military force). I am sticking to cavalry-based armies in my southern Campaign due to the vast ammount of real estate I need to cover. By the time I'm done with the south, I'll sweep East through egypt (cav at the south-western borders) and link up with my Infantry-based armies from the north. I will attack from the sea at several locations, pushing all resistance farther Eastward until Egypt is crushed. From there, it's only a matter of moving north and slowly curving Westward towards Germany & France. By that time, the civil war in Rome should have started, and I'll have a massive fortress (Capua) to fight from.

Will slaves give you any bonuses? I think they should, as in buildings completed quicker

The best way to get a huge city fast?

Conquer one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Thompson
    The best way to get a huge city fast?

Conquer one.
    Ha ha, anyway why would you want huge cities anyway, I just finished a whole game as the Julli with hardly any troop buildings build, let alone troops build, just by your armies of the other factions, you get a top notch full army even with a 5* general for less than 3500!

my capital city least advanced, i do everything i need to increase population growth (low taxes, farms, and other necessary stuff), i do everything "by the book", but population growth still very small, i need mod which re-balance it, capital city MUST BE most advanced

The air travel, today, is the fastest, most comfortable and prestigious mode of transport. It has reduced distances by minimising the travel time.

I don't think a fast growth is a path you want to take. I've been experimenting in a lot of ways to stop squalor, and it seems that a city will remain tame when is developed over a certain time.