Thread: Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X

This isn't strictly histroy, nor is it cinema, but it is an anime (Japanese Animation) set during the early years of the Meiji Restoration.

The story is about a wandering samurai, a ronin known as Kenshin Himura, who wields a sakabatou (reversed edge sword- the cutting edge is blunt)in defense of the people around him.

During the turbulent final years of Shogunate he was an Ishin assasin known as "hitokiri battousai". Though a deadly fighter and with the blood of many Shogunate allies on his hands, his motives were purely for peace.

After the fall of Shogunate and the end of the Samurai, he now wanders the land, vowing never to take another life (hence the reversed edged blade), and using his considerable skills in defense of the defenseless, while suppressing the inner demon he once was.

The series focuses on the restless early years of the Meiji Restoration, the conflicts that many Samurai felt after being deprived of their privelages, and shadows of the past haunting them.

One interesting note though, is that an actual historical figure is a prominent character. Look up the Captain of the Shinsen Gumi 3rd Division.

If you're an anime fan, you might want to look this series up.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

I'll check it out. I am still trying to get hold of a copy of 'Yojimbo' and 'Tonari no Totoro'.... I'll add it to my list.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Hmm.... seems interesting, I'll check it out.
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

http://www.fangirls.icestorm.com/battousai/

heres a nice site about it