Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Temples

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Default Re: Guide to Temples

Go with Jupiter Temple... Bacchus has some nasty vices associated with it, if your governors are left idle near one too long.
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

It may be a good idea to have some of each temple, in order to farm priests of each type.

I used Ceres to pump up the population in my capital and some key cities near my homeland (in order to get high tech units).

I used Jupiter in most conquered cities further away.

For some reason (probably Victoria), I chose Bacchus for my second Roman city. Yes, it gives the governor vices but I use him to keep giving new family member's priests of Bacchus. I don't know the probability of getting such priests, but they seem to replenish fairly quickly.

The entry in the financial tab is corruption and other. Other includes admin and looting income. That's why there's income in the corruption and other line. Corruption doesn't grant you income.

The Abyss - Formerly known as 'The Netherlands'

I updated my guide, since it had a few errors

Version History:
    Version 1.1 (18 October) : Errors fixed: Names: Pantheon&Artemis. Temples: Brigantia Sacred Circle Hermes Awesome Temple, Ares Large Temple, Zeus Large Temple
    Version 1.0 (14 October) : First release

You can get it by clicking the link in my signature

Cheers and enjoy!
    Download version 1.2 of my RomeUnitGuide (PDF format) here;
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=108
    It has over 32.000 downloads. Thanks for the kind words I got over the years :).

Download version 1.1 of my RomeTempleGuide (PDF format) here;
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=107
    It has over 5.000 downloads. Thanks for the kind words I got over the years :).

Senior Member Senior Member RedKnight's Avatar

Thanks again, Soul! they're both greatly appreciated - as the download counts show!

Pelekyphoros Barbaros Member Rurik the Chieftain's Avatar

Thanks, Sinner. Great format and everything. Now I know what benefits those dastardly foreigners reap from their evil gods.

Never leave your governor in a city with a temple of Bacchus too long!
    Bad, bad things happen.

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

Updating this with traits and priests the temples give would be very useful. Are you still there, Sinner? If not, maybe someone else can continue his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartiate
    That +4 bonus for trade with the Awesome Temple of Milqart........is that an extra 4 items for trade,a 4% trade increase or a fourfold increase in trade(here's hoping).
    therother determined that +1 to tradeable goods results in a +10% increase in land trade and sea exports. See post #4 here. This works at least up until 50%, but it may have a limit at or beyond that point.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

I have partially completed a version with traits added, Simetrical, but I haven't worked on it for a long while and currently have no real tplans to do so.

As for the priests, as noted in the first post you get them at the second level for each temple, ie.Temple/Sacred Grove. That doesn't tell you their benefits, but then again I didn't include those for the other ancillaries.

Regarding Temples of Bacchus, the way I've found to use them is to build just one in a settlement near my capital, governing that settlement with an otherwise useless family member, building very little else in the settlement to reduce the number of other ancillaries gained by him just sitting around in a city. Every time I get a new family member who I intend to mainly use as a governor he goes and takes the priest before heading off do his duty for the House of Julii. Meanwhile, my degenerate governor sits around waiting for a new Priest to arrive; if all his retinue slots get filled with other ancillaries I transfer any decent ones to my active leaders and bad ones to any other rejects. At no point do I allow my active leaders to stay in the settlement.

I do the same with a Temple of Ceres, although I'm less worried about passing leaders ending the turn in that settlement.

Between those two priests, my governors get a +2 to both Influence and Management plus a farming bonus which adds nicely to the +1 to Command, Influence and Management they get from my more common Priest of Jupiter. My generals usually only get the latter priest since I prefer to free up the retinue slots for ancillaries better suited to armies than cities.

Overall, the Julii do perhaps get the best combination of priests from their temples compared to the other Roman factions, at least as far as governing cities is concerned, but I still don't believe that compensates for the overall inferiority of the temples themselves. A particular family member may not have each priest, so the potential bonus is wasted, and in any case he can only be in one city at a time, assuming he's not commanding an army, whereas temples can be built in every city, benefiting each one.
    Last edited by Sinner; 01-05-2005 at 16:22.

I wish some of the other factions temples besides Rome should have better traits added
    most of them have a severe lack of traits which, if you're like myself and enjoy getting those awesome retinues and great traits from your temples, is disappointing

Right now Im hooked on playing as the Julii because of the fertile trait from Ceres and the other traits that you gain from the other temples. I love when they start popping out kids from the "increase in the chance to have children" from the fertile trait

Then you'll also love the Epona Pantheons they can build. I added 'how to' to the Julii guides and also in a reply to the Temple Guide by

Soulflame

over at the twcenter.net. He hasnt updated his temple guide yet, but will do so soon im sure.

as a sidenote:

Trade goods +1 adds 10% to trade income, not to farm income, not to tax income.

Trade goods +10 (trade pantheon, level 5 market) adds 100%. (lots and lots in Greece).

Law +1 adds 5% to public order. It also reduces the total corruption by 3%. So Law +100% could eliminate 60% corruption all together.
    Last edited by sunsmountain; 04-15-2005 at 15:27. Reason: changed 5 to 3% corruption reduction
    in montem soli non loquitur

(\_/) (>.<) That's what happens with bunnies
    (x.X)(_)(_) who want to achieve world domination!

becoming is for people who do not will to be

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

I'm willing to say that the Priest of Vulcan is perhaps the best individual priest (especially in Hispania and other great mining areas), and he makes a good combination with the priest of Saturn. It would be unfair to the other factions if the Scipii had another normal temple that could grant another priest to governors.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunsmountain
    It also reduces the total corruption by 5%. Law +100% eliminates corruption all together.
    You have still failed to substantiate that statement, or even present your methodology, in the other thread. zhuge has. Since zhuge also has a history of scientific contributions to the Ludus Magna, I am quite confident that each point (5%) of law actually reduces corruption by an amount equal to three percent of the city's gross income (minus administrative income). As such, corruption will be eliminated at completely different amounts of law for different distances from the capital—you may indeed need as much as twenty points of law to eliminate corruption a hundred squares from your capital, if you can even get that much law, but a single point will suffice for a city only sixteen squares away (any less than that, and there's no corruption at all).

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Cool Re: Guide to Temples

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner
    BRITONS

Brigantia (Healing)
    • Shrine
      Public order bonus due to happiness 5%
      Population health bonus 5%
    • Sacred Grove
      Public order bonus due to happiness 10%
      Population health bonus 10%
    • Sacred Circle
      Public order bonus due to happiness 15%
      Population health bonus 15%
      Druids

Ancilliaries: Druid - healing type, Master Embalmer (Sacred Grove or greater), Physician (Sacred Grove or greater), Wise Woman, Witch

Britannia (Trade)
    • Shrine
      Increase in tradeable goods 1
    • Sacred Grove
      Increase in tradeable goods 2
    • Sacred Circle
      Increase in tradeable goods 3

Ancilliaries: Freeman Clerk - trade type (Sacred Grove or greater), Idiot Savant (Sacred Grove or greater), Numismatist (Sacred Circle only), Wise Man

Andrasta (Victory)
    • Shrine
      Woad Warriors
    • Sacred Grove
      Experience bonus to troops +1
      Woad Warriors
      Head Hurlers
    • Sacred Circle
      Experience bonus to troops +2
      Woad Warriors (Experience 1)[/b]
      Head Hurlers (Experience 1)[/b]
    i love playing britons (chariot archers) so i'll see about nailing down the various chances to get ancilliaries, since i've noticed it's VERY hard to get the druid once you're up and running with "small cities" (never seen this "master embalmer" - typo?)
    • physician? wtf?
    ...and i've never actually gotten the wiseman more than once during a campaign and never seen the advanced britannia ancilliaries.

BTW, thanks for this! I was wondering why i was getting silly beastmasters/dogs at a certain city.

FYI, i swear to god i got a "non-healing" druid during my first briton campaign. will attempt to repro.
    Last edited by MajorFreak; 04-07-2005 at 08:37.

You have still failed to substantiate that statement, or even present your methodology, in the other thread.
    It was never my intention to substantiate or research in a proper scientific manner. This is a game, and i am deducting rules of thumb, not doing a indepth study. If it turns out to be 3% instead 5%, i dont care, the point is that it's linear, and the only thing you can do about it (ie corruption), is law. Period.

I assumed corruption would be eliminated by 100% law. It's probably capped/slightly different. For a gamer, simplicity of 'rules' make the game more enjoyable, in my experience.

I made a suggestion in the "Research suggestions and discussion". After all, dus Ludus not mean a place to play? Let us make the fruits of science more acessible for all to see...
    Last edited by sunsmountain; 04-15-2005 at 15:31.
    in montem soli non loquitur

(\_/) (>.<) That's what happens with bunnies
    (x.X)(_)(_) who want to achieve world domination!

becoming is for people who do not will to be

I'm interested in the impact and effect of the barbarian invasion temples (especially churches), does anyone have a good referance point?
    Roma locuta est. Causa finita est

Something i forgot to put down. in regards to fun shrines i found that putting them somewhere really far off helps, I tended to place a sponge head (completly useless) family memeber to pick up all those nice retinue fun shrine guys to transfer to your more usefull members.
    Roma locuta est. Causa finita est

Quote Originally Posted by Mithras
    I'm interested in the impact and effect of the barbarian invasion temples (especially churches), does anyone have a good referance point?
    The whole temple guide in a spreadsheet.
    http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=466

Which is the best temple for each of the three roman factions? The Selucids? Egyptians?

I can't figure out which ones to build everywhere.
    I support Israel

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Guide to Temples

Quote Originally Posted by diablodelmar
    Which is the best temple for each of the three roman factions? The Selucids? Egyptians?

I can't figure out which ones to build everywhere.
    That depends on what you want. There isn't a "best" temple that should be built everywhere. Each comes with its specific bonus and you should chose them depending on what you plan to do with a town. For more information, consult On the Feeding and Breeding of Governors and Generals by Aesculapius.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Ok, though I think we can all agree that, hands down, Jupiter is the best Julii temple, even if unimpressive when compared to Mars, Mercury and Vulcan.
    I support Israel

i'm pretty sure the pantheon of jupiter is fixed in 1.5:

temple_of_leadership_pantheon requires factions { greek_cities, romans_julii, }
    {
    capability
    {
    recruit "roman arcani" 0 requires factions { romans_julii, }
    happiness_bonus bonus 7
    law_bonus bonus 5
    population_growth_bonus bonus 2
    }

which is 35 happiness, 25 law and 1% pop growth (as it is in .5% increments)

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito
    Nicely done Sinner. This is a big help.
    ME TOO!!!! BIG THANKS!!!
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

how and where to change data about temples???i want to edit the data of temple of jupiter,athenai ...

OH!,I finally found out myself,it is export_descr_buildings file in data folder.

i have made such changes:
    i increase temple_of_leadership_pantheon law bonus from 2 to 5,decrease happiness bonus from 7 to 5 so the temple of Bacchus have it's use....

increase the temple_of_governors (temple of zeus to pontus and macedon),the large temple law bonus from 2 to 3(for it should be,i think...)

and i checked this out,the Julii sure have the pantheon of horse(pantheon of Epona),if you let temple of epona from spain or gauls leave undamage,then you will have chance to recruit experience level 5 troops(now it finally cover the military disadvantage vs Brutii and Scipii)

another surprise!!
    read this==== temple_of_horse_pantheon requires factions { roman, }
    it means not only julii can built this pantheon........
    Last edited by guineawolf; 03-21-2007 at 03:08.
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

for the temple of epona, you need to keep a sacred grove of Epona in a city you've conquered and wait for "a new religion" to happen... or so I read.

So far, after er... mannyyyy campaigns as the Julii, I've yet to see this happen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poulp'
    for the temple of epona, you need to keep a sacred grove of Epona in a city you've conquered and wait for "a new religion" to happen... or so I read.
    To build the large temple of Epona, you need to conquer a city with the Sacred Circle already present. Then it's just a question of upgrading; no special events are required. The problem is that the A.I. seldom seems to build Sacred Circles.

oh
    is it ?

I already conquered a sacred circle of epona, but I couldn't upgrade it.
    I eventually destroyed it when the city reached the 24.000 population mark, I needed a temple of Bacchus badly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poulp'
    I already conquered a sacred circle of epona, but I couldn't upgrade it.
    I eventually destroyed it when the city reached the 24.000 population mark, I needed a temple of Bacchus badly.
    Did you install the building fix that CA released shortly after the 1.5 patch? IIRC it enabled the Julii to build this temple again, but I admit it is long ago that I played a vanilla Roman game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    Did you install the building fix that CA released shortly after the 1.5 patch? IIRC it enabled the Julii to build this temple again, but I admit it is long ago that I played a vanilla Roman game.
    Considering it is the first time I hear about this fix, I probably didn't install it.
    I run a modified version of VBM+someone else's bug fixer (sorry about that nameless benefactor) BTW.

Also, I did so much modding (including buildings) on my game that I don't know if my game will accept the fix.
    Nevertheless, I'm going to look for that fix

thanks a lot Ludens

Long overdue bump

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    I hate to be asking this almost a year later, but where is that building fix mentioned above?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast