Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Lotus: Total War

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Default Re: Blue Lotus: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by hoggy
    top idea Mango, I'll look into it. I'll probably need more than just the three factions, was thinking of possibly Indian/Tibettan also?
    How about a Korean Kingdom also? They could get really good War Wagons and chariots, and generally loads of really high-tech stuff, maybe that could be their theme.
    Last edited by Silver Rusher; 10-30-2004 at 18:36.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

The link is fine Tombom, the more the merrier although it'll be a while before this mod is out. The idea with the japanese and chinese factions was that they should be mostly human infantry and cavalry (with a few heroes and special good units) facing hordes of strange demonic armies rather than having too many mythological units themselves. (bit like lord of the rings)

Mango, for the larger (and smaller) units like the Wang Liang I'm hoping to find a solution to the scaling problem I was looking at in a different thread. Jerome and Vercingetorix both mentioned it should be possible, in theory, to scale existing skeletons although I've come to a bit of a dead end. If anyone with good text modding can solve this I'd be most grateful! There is an oliphant test in the existing text files but I can't seem to apply the scaling values to anything else. If anyone is up for testing this let me know I'll point you to the thread. Eventually I'm hoping we can create and export new animations and skeletons for the strange units but if not work arounds are possible ie. using the elephant skeleton for the dragons.

I'll look into the Korean units Silver Rusher, they sound excellent.

Those are some great units you've turned out there hoggy! Any chance I can help? I know how to edit models and edit skins. Still having problems with UV maps though. But if you post the skins and models that you've already done, me and other people can help you tweak them and such!
    The Western wind carries with it the scent of triumph...

you need noface from sprited away, he should go up and eat people.
    thanks,
    dessa
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Swordsman- Jian Sheng (Literally- Sword Saint)
    just my one bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

heres a site with a whole heap of japanese myth, there is sure to be monsters in the stories.
    Japanese Myth
    i thought that the mythology might give it a bit more mythal feeling
    heres an idea for the Demon boat
    Awabi
    Japanese sea demons who live near Nanao. They eat fishermen when they drown and are the guardians of large seashells containing shining jewels.
    thanks,
    dessa
    Last edited by dessa14; 10-31-2004 at 12:04.
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I think you should have a "wizard" unit (druids maybe???) to decrease the demons attack, and enhance your own troops.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

top ideas folks, keep em coming. here are some zombie ashigaru:

edit: link temporarily removed - hoggy
    Last edited by hoggy; 01-25-2005 at 14:18.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, this is amazing.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

here are some concepts for the 'Japanese' cavalry:
    Last edited by hoggy; 01-25-2005 at 14:18.

Awesome hoggy!

Just one note: Japanese bows are NOT held like regluar bows!

The Japanese bow (yumi) is a very very long bow (2 meters in some cases) made of bamboo. It is thin, none composite and has little recurve. it is not held in the middle of the bow. The archer holds it about 2/3 of the way down the bow, so that most of the bow is above his hand. This was so that he could shoot it from a horse. Later when foot archers came into use the same practice was kept.

Also, with the armor, I would love it if you kept it in the older style boxy yoroi type rather than the later Sengoku type... Most people think yoroi style when they think samurai.

Anyways, looking forward to those models, hope you can release them right after you're done so we can play around with them before the full mod comes out... they've started that practice on a lot of the other mods!

When can we expect the Chinese units to be shown?
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Great work on the development? I'm definately going to keep an eye on this mod in anticipation of the final release.

The concept art is really nice. I'm glad you're taking your time to sketch out a fleshed-out idea on paper before trying to translate it into graphics. Based on the units that you've created so far, the end result is superb!

Anyways, I can help out if it comes down to plot, backstory, or event-writing. Just let me know.

P.S.

I think if you're doing additional human cultures, a Tibetan/Indian one would be a good choice. Very few strategy games have represented Indian units, and there's a whole slew of cultures in that subcontinent to draw on.

If you want to stay focused on Chinese mythology, though, you might want to consider using a Southeast-Asian culture for an additional faction. Ancient units from Vietnam, Burma, etc. would be interesting.

Cheers guys.
    Marshal Murat: sounds good I might have some magic user demons or monks in the army. seeing the excellent work the guys at the Wheel of Time mod have done.

Turin: I think I may just be short of the 2/3rds in the concept but I did have a shot at depicting the yumi correctly The samurai cavalry and Heavy cavalry (and heavy infantry) will be in the older 'boxier' style. - I'll definitely release the models if possible after the mod comes out.

DemonArchangel: I'm just working on the models for the japanese and demon armies at the moment to get some battles going but I'll be concepting the chinese next when i get a chance. I'll use Jian Sheng for the chinese sword saint.

Japes: I'm hoping to keep adding new factions to Blue Lotus once the initial three are done so the more ideas the merrier. I'll be calling out for help when I start on the campaign proper so any help will be appreciated. At the moment I'm focussing on the units and campmap artwork though to get the bulk of that sorted first.

Thanks for the support - hoggy

the Centipede
    A terrifying, man-eating monster the size of a mountain. It lived in the mountains of Japan near Lake Biwa. The dragon king of that particular lake asked the famous hero Hidesato to kill it for him. The hero slew it by shooting an arrow, dipped in his own saliva, into the brain of the monster. The dragon king rewarded Hidesato by giving him a rice-bag; a bag of rice which could not be emptied and it fed his family for centuries.

a japanese Hero: Hidesato

Ittan-momen
    A mysterious being from Japanese myth that looks like a long white cloth. It frightens people by appearing suddenly in the night. The cloth is wrapped around the mouth and nose of the victim, suffocating him. The word momen means "cotton".

that could be a special demon unit.

Jikininki
    In Japanese myth, jikininki are demons, corpse-eaters, who eat dead human bodies. These demons are often the spirits of dead men or women whose greed prevented their souls from entering a more peaceful existence after death. They continue a half-life by devouring corpses. A particular myth tells of a strong-willed priest called Muso Kokushi who once kept watch near the body of a deceased person. Suddenly a jikininki arrived to devour it, but the priest's prayers liberated the demon's soul.

Kamaitachi
    A Japanese monster that looks like a weasel, although it moves so fast no one has ever gotten a good look. They usually assault a victim as a team, where the first knocks down the victim, the second slashes him with its teeth, and the third heals the wound. The word kama means "sickle" and itachi means "weasel".

Kijo
    An ogre living in the Japanese woods.

Kintaro
    A Japanese hero, whose name means "Golden Boy". He is the son of Princess Yaegiri. Kintaro lived alone in the woods where he talked to the animals. He was so strong he could bend trees like twigs. In one of his adventures he confronted a demon in the form of a gigantic poisonous spider. He uprooted a tree and used it to crush the monster. Later he joined the suite of the hero Raiko (Minamoto Yorimitsu and became a famous warrior himself, called Sakata Kintoki.

Kitsune-Tsuki
    A fox spirit, or a demon who appears in the shape of a fox, in Japanese mythology. Kitsune-Tsuki ("Fox-Lunacy") is possession by such a spirit. It occurs mostly in women. The fox spirit enters through the fingernails or the breast.

Kompera
    A Japanese god, probably based on the image of the Indian Kubera, the Lord of the Demons, Master of Magic. Kompera is often identified with the storm god Susanowo who sometimes aids people in mischief. He taught the secret of changing oneself into a dragon to the waitress Kiyo.

Konaki Jiji
    A Japanese monster that can change its size and weight, often appearing as a baby lying at the side of a road. When a traveler passes by and picks up the baby, the monster returns to its original size, thus crushing the victim. Konaki Jiji means "old man crying like a baby".

that'll do for now, ill be back with more later.
    thanks,
    dessa
    {LORE}

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

A Chinese legend is a old lady who raised a dragon, four foot, all on the ground, lizard like, unable to fly.

Samurai cavalry usually had lesser armor on them, to help free up movement. The box like style should be kept to foot soldiers, the smoother, lighter, streamlined armor kept to horsemen.

Also, I'm going to guess your familiar with the sohei.
    Although this translation isn't perfect, they are warrior monks from I think Shinto Temples across Japan (those at Mt. Hiei, famous)
    You should add them as druid like warriors, to chant incantations, and carry a box, said to hold the kami, a spirit.
    And very good warriors.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Here are some medium japanese cavalry:
    Last edited by hoggy; 01-25-2005 at 14:19.

Awe inspiring...!

And the great thing is since they're all mythical, the fact that the little flags do not go with the armor style is fine! Personally I love the little flags and as I've said before I do like the old boxy style more, so what can be better than yoroi with sashimoto?!

Anyways, since I'm new to 3Ds max, my results with samurai are much more limited. I'll post a screenie soon...

Jiang Shi=Chinese Vampire
    Chinese Lich=Ku Lo
    Also Monkey King is a MUST

Awesome work Hoggy! I hope you won't be offended by my suggestion, but I really think the horses would look better without those red rings around the neck, and the red around the mouth and ears.

Wow, the quality of these units are unbelievable.

Seriously, i dont believe this, these are as good as anything from CA, and were made so quickly!

Hoggy, You sir, are the MAN!
    "You're drunk again!"
    "Na Im just exhausted from staying up all night drinking!" - Family guy

Wow Hoggy, I love your units. I can't wait for your mod to come out. I can't wait to see Chinese Units Roll out (Cuz I'm chinese =P). But its a really imaginative and creative world your making. Basically, Asia Fantasy TW. I'm definietly keeping an eye on this mod. Keep up the good work!

Flying Dutchman Member Ellesthyan's Avatar

Hehe go Monkeyking!

Anyway, it looks fantastic. Could you make some kind of strategic map concept? Im rather curious what you are planning on that.
    A.E.I.O.U.

Austria Est Imperare Orbi Universo
    Austria is destined to rule the world.

(Or, as the Prussians interpretated it:
    Austria Erit In Orbe Ultima
    Austria will one day be lowest in the world.)

Österreich über alles!

Senior Member Senior Member Dionysus9's Avatar

Unbelievably cool. Too bad the R:TW MP experience is in so much disarray...hopefully the patch will fix it so we can play this killer mod.

Absolutely incredible.
    Hunter_Bachus

Understanding in a Car Crash Member RZST's Avatar

random question, who does the concept art? looks really nice imo.
    and good job on the mod, this is the only one im waiting for =). hope to see the campaign map when its done =P

Taking on seven years that the holy ghost had left alone
    test my arms, kick like crazy, Ive been trying way too long.
    only if he could push his way off and fight you
    Im sorry, Im sorry, Im not sure
    Getting this off my chest, the story ends.

Here's the campmap plan. I've got this layout working in game but I need to sort out heightmaps etc properly. Hope to have Junks plying the seas and sea beasts for the demon 'ships'. The top island will have large inaccessible mountains in the middle where the Gods live (you don't interact with them they just live there) Each of the other two main continents will have mountainous spines too. I'm hoping to scale the world down a bit so it's all more central but at the moment it crashes whenever I try. Hope you like.
    and some heavy infantry:

i really like the look of it mate.
    i think this could go down as a "GREAT" Total War Mod
    thanks,
    dessa
    {LORE}

Here are the concepts for the 'Chinese' Infantry units:

Nice mace infantry! Looks great.

(note: Get rid of the "g" on the end of the jian)

Question Re: Blue Lotus: Total War

great work hoggy!
    thanks for doing that

how many factions are planning to add in the end? i think, it would be a good solution to split the existing factions into clans or something. you could add perhaps a hero and a special unit for each clan, so you dont have to work the rest of your life for having an acceptable amount of factions(cuz i think, it would be really annoying to fight everytime against the same 3 enemies...)
    well, but thats only my opinion and a try to help you...

if you ever need a tester, i'd be lucky to help. or if you need ideas or facts or anythng else...

@murat: sohei were buddhist monks, but they were carrying shinto shrines ;)

cheers
    Sephriel
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast