Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Lotus: Total War

Default Re: Blue Lotus: Total War

Indian factions could be based on the books like the Ramyana. Like a Monkey Kingdom(Ramayana) with diffrent monkey warriors, the monkey kind and Hanuman(maybe even Rama and Lakshmana). A kingdom based on Ravana(diffrent demon kingdom) from the Ramayana. And a human kingdom with lots of elephant based units and possibly chariots
    Sometimes I slumber on a bed of roses
    Sometimes I crash in the weeds
    One day a bowl full of cherries
    One night I'm suckin' on lemons and spittin' out the seeds
    -Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Lemons

ahh... Denmark, a small town in the middle of nowhere...

boy! does this sound (and look) good, or what?!?!? can't wait for the release!

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

AWESOME
    Dude, you are God. Metaphorically Speaking.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Those Shaolin Monks are gonna be wicked.

Why do you hate Freedom?

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

Here are the Ghost Geisha units from the army list. Not sure if I'll be able to keep the transparency as it's playing havoc with my pc.
    edit: link temporarily removed - hoggy
    Last edited by hoggy; 01-25-2005 at 14:20.

im guna create a new religion called hoggyism
    [VDM]BuuKenshin

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Question Re: Blue Lotus: Total War

Fantastic imagination Hoggy - its great to see someone coming up with a mod idea that is not only not historically accurate, but even goes beyond any standard fiction script. From what I've seen so far the units all seem to have a definite unique cultural feel to them - keep up the good work.

Just two questions:
    - Have you looked into modifying the building models for the battle map? Hope we see more of the same (and yet different) there in terms of the semi-mythic cultures involved. If possible the ground should be more rice fields rather than grain.
    - Have you been able to make any progress in the skeleton animations so far? I haven't been able to do much here myself and judging by the word on the forum it doesn't look like anyone else has either. I ask because I assume we will see dragons at some stage and the closest we've got at the moment is elephants.

Ta
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

i had to register just to say how cool this mod looks. the tattered banner for the ghost geisha is a great detail too.
    I don't know if this fits into what your doing but i remember all of those cool saturday afternoon karate movies had some wild ideas.
    there was one movie called the flying gillateen (cant spell) where the guys throw this frisbee thing that would land on a guys head, a basket drops down then chops of the head of the guy and is pulled back by a rope to the thrower where the head drops out. A classic! Archer unit type perhaps.
    There was also some guys that where immune to weapons unless they got hit in a certain spot then there armour skin was no more. Would this be a good hero unit or general trait like hard to kill? just like the light skill may increase movement points?
    Look forward to seeing more, wish i was talented enough to help.

Those are way too cool! Will you be including mythic heroes as well as monsters and such? Maybe they could be rebels to simulate ronin status and must be bribed (since they're one unit strong they'd be cheaper than an army and more effective!) I'm thinking of characters like Momotaro the peach boy or Isun Boshi the one inch samurai. Not to be kitchy or whatever but maybe for the Chinese there could be drunken masters or real live dragons?

cant wait to try this too, you rock!

Clare
    "Ad majoram Dei gloriam"

Cheers guys, glad you like it so far. still just scratching the surface of the work that needs doing but I'm not in any hurry.

Sephriel - Depending on time constraints (ie how knackered i am after building all the units for three factions) i may well resort to a number of colour variant clans of each faction type to add variety. I'm hoping to use the three as a base campaign and add new factions in future releases.

Al Khalifah - Hoping to do new oriental castles etc and work on the terrain in general adding cherry blossom trees etc. Also I'm going to scale down the trees and grass if i get time (is it just me or are they strangely large?). All depends how long everything takes really. The skeleton issue is one we're working through at the moment. I'm confident a solution will be found but if not then some culling of the army lists and some imaginitive use of existing technology will have to suffice (ie. elephant skeleton for dragon model).

Plantman - Top ideas for units not sure they're all feasable in the RTW engine. One constraint when thinking of these fictional units is that they have to work in full scale battles and with the fight mechanics of the engine. I've put a couple of heroes in each faction but still not sure if they will work. keep the ideas coming though, top stuff.

I'm hoping to have a number of mercenary units that can be used by any faction dependant on location on the map. Wandering Ronin and heroes and occasionally demon units.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Post Re: Blue Lotus: Total War

Al Khalifah - Hoping to do new oriental castles etc and work on the terrain in general adding cherry blossom trees etc. Also I'm going to scale down the trees and grass if i get time (is it just me or are they strangely large?). All depends how long everything takes really.
    Oriental castles - most excellent. I'm picturing Shogun-esque Japanese castles and Hero-style Chinese castles. The Chinese structures should allow for some fairly epic architecture considering their massive size.
    If you need any assistance in this area I'd be glad to offer a hand - since I'm sure your hands will already be busy with units and camp maps.

The trees are pretty large - but since this is China and Japan that might be a good thing in the forest regions. The grass though does seem a bit OTT - I think CA just wanted it to look good and force you to notice it like in every other game I've played with grass in (look we've got grass bits - LOOK! - oh we'll have to make them bigger.)

For a basic Japanese 'town-guard' type unit you could use the machi yakko (servants of the town). These were a vigilante police group that arose to enforce order and protect the community, especially outside the capital cities, from intruders during the Edo period. Normally just labourers and tough men - no swords.
    A more advanced form might be the kabukimono (raving ones). They tended to dress in outrageous manners, having unusual haircuts and would use vulgar language, but these groups could grow to be seen as heroes for fighting against bandits and included Ronin due to their ability to carry swords. It's suggested their mercenary protection antics and behaviour are a precusror to the Yakuza.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

very cool geisha ghost hoggy

when will be a realeased m8.

will you put things of the legend of the 5 rings ???
    Death is the only true in life

Very good work indeed, i gotta say it would be very interesting to play that module. Take your time there no rush, most fans and developers have moved too fast and not being able to test/check all the possiblies of bugs. And yes it take alot of work and time.

Looking forward to see your module release hoggy, keep up the good work!

-Viking

just had to register to say how great this mod is looking.

everytime i heard anyone mention a fantasy TW mod/game, it always sounded stupid to me, it always made me think of some corny LOTR knock off or something, but this is very unique and seems really cool. and your art work is really very good, coming from someone whos entire family is artists, not that that makes my opinoin better than nayone elses

i was wondering if your planning on doing audio for the units and music etc? sorry if thats already been mentioned. i work with a few audio editing programs as im a musician, and i could possibly help or "loan" you some programs if need be, just drop me a pm and let me know.

anyway just wanted to say that this mod looks very promising, and i cant wait to see it in action, keep up the good work.

here are the Hanya. I'm hoping to make these guys around 10ft tall and in smaller units (not currently possible):

Oh those ugly mean looking HYENAS, btw can they make hyena's sound?

This MOD looks excellent! Keep up the good work!

Your units look amazing, Hoggy!
    The concept is very cool as well.
    I enjoy the historical settings, but a bit of fantasy is great for a change.
    I just hope limitations in campaign moddability and AI won't stop you from delivering what looks like the most promising mod ever(IMHO).
    Last edited by Paul Peru; 11-23-2004 at 08:56. Reason: add praise
    Sono Pazzi Questi Romani
    Paul Peru: Holier than thy bucket!

I wasn't into the whole fantasy thing until I found this thread. Absolutely brilliant!!

Just an idea for another faction: Indonesia. They had some pretty uniqe unit types.
    Just a thought, I don't know if you can use it but another idea would be little people. Most south east asian and pacific cultures have tiny "hobbit" like people in their mythology. Could be interesting but maybe too Tolkien?

Oh oh for the chinese, I have some ideas:
    A heavy swordsmen unit
    and a unit that you get for doing somthing but cant be build, Guan Yus cavalry or somthing with Guan Yu, who Cao Cao declared a God of War, so that would be a cool mytholegy unit.
    Just my ideas mate, do with them as you please.

Why do you hate Freedom?

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Hey, Capo, the imperial guard is the heavy swordsman unit, i'm trying to get hoggy to give the guardsman dual machetes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

And besides capo, the fact is, the chinese used swordsmen as light infantry.
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Oh, ok missed that,
    Is there a light swordsman in the planning?

Why do you hate Freedom?

top unit ideas guys, i'll do a proper reply when i get a minute. in the meantime a samurai archer screen:

Cool.

Why do you hate Freedom?

Hm, maybe the Chinese could have some sort of Cannon unit? Like a fireworks artillery unit, basically the same idea like the flaming catapults. They're inaccurate, but boy can they do some damage.

Anyways, love the Samuri Archers, keep up the good work. By the way, are you doing this by yourself?

Al Khalifah - the Kabukimono sound perfect for a low morale, cheap mercenary unit.

Crusher of Eval - glad you like it. I will be looking into sound later on so i'll pm you then if that's ok. cheers.

Capo and Demon Archangel - I'm going to have another look at the chinese army list when I start on that faction so I'll collate all your ideas then to get edit the final armylist.

TigerVX - Hoping to have a special chinese unit for firelances but the firework cannon sounds good too. and yes, I'm working on this on my own at the moment, it's a big job so I'm going to start by doing most of the units for the three factions and then I'll have a call out for helpers with text files and general modding if anyone's up for it. Still not sure what tools will become available from CA or the excellent Vercingetorix. RTW still has some serious limitations to modding which need to be worked around before a total mod is possible. We'll get there though.

Hoggy congratulations looks sumptuous.

Can I suggest you google "Water Margin". This was a Shaw brothers film in 1972, and also the title of a long running television series shown by the BBC in about 1976. The root of both is an epic book which places 108 heroes of Liang Shang marshes against the corrupt forces of the empirial court. It includes fantasy elements, but the costumes and story lines of the television series should give you plenty to work with. In addition the TV series is available on dvd, so if you wish you could capture and manipulate parts for small movies. After the Water Margin finished its run the BBC replaced it with a television series called "Monkey" (I believe a film is to be made of the same story). The Monkey TV shows had the central kingdom of the drunken gods, and the eponymous hero of the show was trying to become a god. Each episode involved him undertaking tasks & challenges with various companions. This show had much more of a super natural element to it than the Water Margin, and some of Monkeys adventures take him to as far away from China as Mongolia, India, and Arabia. Again I would suggest a very good source for graphics, ideas, and story lines.
    www.tenjo.ancient-archives.com

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Is there gonna be a super-fast archery unit for the Chinese?

If there is, it'd be cool if it went miles beyond reality and actually did fire 200rps say, but all arrows inaccurate and not very effective. Maybe lower the firing rate if this is not possible. They'd have to be quite expensive.

Another thing- Is this a campaign mod aswell or just a battle mod? I have an Idea for the daemons on the campaign if it is.

The map is divided into provinces with cities, as usual, but scattered around the place are 'Hellgates' which are basically daemon settlements. They all have one big city, well, stray as far from the idea of a 'city' as far as you can, they can maybe have massive webbed claws as walls, the webs being rock solid as well as the claws, and the interiors all spooky and dark. These 'hellgates' will have two squares and two squares ONLY for a width around the outside, so they basically do not have any lands. However, it is OK because they are always at war with everyone by default, and they have loads of armies constantly roaming around enemy countryside. You may not understand what I mean...
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Dude, Cho Ko Nus already fire around 60 times a minute
    no need to make it even faster.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast