Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Lotus: Total War

Default Re: Blue Lotus: Total War

lol- why demons in russland
    may be better comrades woriers ,red guards,

a room with a hole in the side for air and food and a computer on the other side.

Hey with all this discussion about what map to use wouldent it be best to use two maps(I heard it was possible) and one campaign could use the original map and the other a new one that way everyones happy.
    HELP CITADEL TOTAL WAR USE THE LINK BELOW

CITADEL TOTAL WAR: A modification for Rome Total War

Just your average dragoon Member DragoonXXIV's Avatar

Firstly, amazing job with the Chinese calvary. Also now that i think about it, the easiest solution of Korea & Japan would be to displace Korea into Manchuria, that way they will contest Kamchatka with the Demons and Mongols, and they won't be completely surrounded or be a natrual enemy of anyone. Also i think it's rather impossible to fit 3 factions on Japan, however 2 will easily do, one in the north, and one in the south with a some islands kinda like the Julii and Scipii in R:TW. Also i don't think the Chinese factions should be united, they already have plently of places to expand in, best to give them borders. Finally I think it would be cool for there to a be single (possibly heavily forested) pass through the Himilayas.

Turin: Actually the Chinese did use Mongols as elite troops in the later dynasties. They were called banner troops and served as quick response forces to combat the constant ethnic rebellions that plagued later chinese history.

I love your concept art. But one problem with the Buffalo Chariots. I'm doing the Easterlings for FA:TW, and I caught a hitch when making the Wain Riders. Apparently you can have no more then 4 riders on a chariot otherwise the game crashes when you load up =(. However, you can use it as ana Elephant mount whihc can have far more riders, and integrate the buffalo into the animation and model for the chariot which might.

I also like the new map better. It gives the game that kinda Tolkienish feel, like these great wars could have actually happened, how the Demons could have actually existed at one time. You might want to modify it though, since Japan doesn't have a clear path to the Demon armies without invading Mongolia or China. And seeing as how you made the Japanese and Demons first, I thought the Japanese and the Demon armies would be the first to battle.
    Last edited by TigerVX; 01-04-2005 at 02:07.

So now that you've decided to do India, can we expect a Khymer faction too? Imagine the temples with their huge scupted faces...

AoM: TW Director Member Lonely Soldier's Avatar
    Brisbane, Australia... but hopefully not for too long.

Default Re: Blue Lotus: Total War Campaign map

I reckon the entirely fantasy map has many superior elements over the more standard option. It adds a certain unique quality that I think would be missing from the more realist version of the map. Perhaps if you used your original concept with a few minor alterations: making the Japanese islands more like their real world counter parts for example. I just think that if we wanted a real world Asia we would just play someone elses mod.

Keep up the good work Hoggy!

Lonely Soldier
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

Here is an updated rough version of the map with some alterations. It’s worth mentioning if we use this map that current, modern day borders will only be loosely followed and most region names will be different or only reminiscent of modern names. The map is it’s own world or prehistory where tectonic plates have shifted and distorted the landmasses. The red lines are just faction borders not region borders, each faction will have a handful of regions.

On the gameplay side for any map, the monks are separate and non playable as they will be where rome is and essentially a very defensive faction. The focus of the game should be on the continent with the Monks to fall last. The purpose of the game is still world domination so the Demons are not your only enemy just the immediate aggressive threat. Areas not inhabited by known factions will have factions using a standard army set (not set yet) with some special units and also roaming rebel armies allowing for expansion

TigerVX - cheers wasn't sure if they'd work, I'll have a look when I come to them. Any news on large scale units like Olog-hai?

Saranlos -2 maps would just be too much work really. It'll be hard enough getting one working well.

Vlad - sorry, I really didn't want to put the demons in russia but they had to go somewhere

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

I feel the 'real' map is better than the fantasy one. It gives it a bit more sense of realism and helps to build each factions individual personality. A few volcanoes in the more damned realms would add something - more mountains and snow and general doom related terrain.

My suggestion would be to use a real map but feel free to morph it quite a bit and add plenty of fantasy features to further each civilisations personality. Remember that most of these factions had no real idea what their lands truly looked like anyway (no consistent measurement units or surveys) and even if they did they didn't really know what their neighbours lands looked like by comparrison (if you look at an older map of a large area it will be very distorted).

So, why not keep the basic shapes but alter the sizes. Make Japan a lot longer - someone suggested connecting it to the mainland twice with a sea in the middle.

Edit: thanks for posting while I was typing hoggy - making me look all foolish.
    Last edited by Al Khalifah; 01-04-2005 at 10:58.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Could u tell me when the mod will be out? soon?
    Last edited by manu7777; 01-04-2005 at 13:50.

Estratega de sillón Member a_ver_est's Avatar

IMHO real map will be better for the AI, it doesn't do amphibious warfare very often.

You're doing a great job.
    uh ?

Here are the Chinese heavy mace unit:

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

That is beautiful work hoggy

Quote Originally Posted by Al Khalifah
    I feel the 'real' map is better than the fantasy one. It gives it a bit more sense of realism and helps to build each factions individual personality. A few volcanoes in the more damned realms would add something - more mountains and snow and general doom related terrain.

My suggestion would be to use a real map but feel free to morph it quite a bit and add plenty of fantasy features to further each civilisations personality. Remember that most of these factions had no real idea what their lands truly looked like anyway (no consistent measurement units or surveys) and even if they did they didn't really know what their neighbours lands looked like by comparrison (if you look at an older map of a large area it will be very distorted).

So, why not keep the basic shapes but alter the sizes. Make Japan a lot longer - someone suggested connecting it to the mainland twice with a sea in the middle.

Edit: thanks for posting while I was typing hoggy - making me look all foolish.
    You know, initially I was inclined to side with Hoggy on the map issue simply because this is his mod and he's produced a huge amount of excellent work for it, but I have to say, I'm playing RTR4.2 right now as the Brutii and the AI is indeed reluctant to stage amphibious attacks, or even supply it's mainland forces with ample offshore reserves even when hard pressed.

And I like your idea of the way myth took over in the void of ignorance and distorted the perceptions of men in the ancient world...a mythical distorted sense of geography would be pretty cool here. ..

I've been following this MOD project from the beginning and I have to say, this is one hell of a MOD.

I don't know about u guys, but I sure can't wait for this MOD to be released!

Great Job Hoggy!
    ~~*Blue Lotus* ~~

when demo hoggy? please a demo, all day i think this mod I WANT PLAY THIS MOD, hoggy give us a small preview

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

The Terra Cotta army was stone soldiers with all of thier armor on.
    However plundering has left them without much of thier equipment.
    I highly suggest them to be used by Monks, Demons, or as a China 1/2 army unit.

Very expensive, very good defense, good hand to hand.
    But terrible morale (can't have supermen)
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Hogster!
    Just wanted to say, fantastic stuff!

Mutineer
    Mutineer

The Mace Men are fantastic, just the way you drew them, just the way I wanted them

As the the Olog Hai, our architect on our team has taken a little break from making buildings, and since he's so skilld with 3D max he's working on animations, and already has a marching animation for Trolls that nearly complete, so I'd say its going well =)

Quote Originally Posted by hoggy
    Here are the Chinese heavy mace unit:
    Hoggy, to use the modern vernacular: Those dudes are pimp!! My sabomnim in Korea was built like that. Speaking of Korea, I'm pretty open to the map style as long as the Dae-Han Min-guk are still playable Any concept art done for them yet? Sorry I'm pushing, please forgive. There were some excellent references posted for Choson uniforms during Admiral Yi's time, but going back even further, to the three kingdoms period of Korea, we can see some really cool armour and exotic weaponry.

It would be great to see a faction modelled on the Thais/Siamese and/or the Khmers.

I've been trying to find some info on Thai warriors, and so far I've come up with a few unit ideas:

Warriors with two swords (may be Karbikrabong Warriors or Daab song muun warriors?)
    Swordsmen
    Thai fanatics
    Ngao Spearmen (elite)
    Archers

Elephants (perhaps various kinds?)
    Siamese Water-Buffalo cavalry

Some pictures:

Here are some interesting links
    http://www.muaythaionline.net/disciplines/weapons.html Some info on thai sword fighting.
    http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/thai_mythology.htmlThis is a good site, all the pics are from it. You might want to check out the entire site, since it has a lot of info on thai mythology.
    http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/to_arms_1.htmlFrom the same site as the one I mentioned above. A lot of details about Thai weapons.

I would like to say that what you've done so far is amazing, and that it wont matter much if you leave out the Thai faction, I just thought it would be nice to have them since they have a rich mythology and I've also happened to live there once upon a time. Anyway, keep up the good work!

EDIT: Another very original unit idea! Don't know how doable it is, though:

Wow Mohdin: This kite (either box or triangular) floated a fire filled pot across enemy lines. The idea was to crash the kite, or drop the pot, into an enemy camp causing fire and panic.
    Last edited by wilpuri; 01-05-2005 at 03:26.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I must chime in and say that those units are beautiful, Hoggy.

I await the release of the mod eagerly [a thing I have been to doing for one or two others; just shows that RTW vanilla is a bit of a disappointment].

I just hope you will use the .rmod format for the release.

I've become an advocate for this little utility.

It allows mods to be switched on a single installation of RTW - no back-up installations or any other installations needed, saving valuable time and memory. I sincerely hope you (and all other modders) adopt .rmod format for all mods.

Please, at least consider it!

Alexander - cheers I'll look into the mod switcher
    wilpuri - Thais look good. unfortunately at the moment I'm sticking to the factions we've got but they might be there in future expansions
    TigerVX - I was just wondering wether you'd solved the problem we had giant units ie. scaling normal skeletons so that ten foot trolls etc could be done?
    Marshal Murat - terracotta golems may be good as a special unit.
    spikke - A demo or build of this mod is a long way off, It's unlikely to be released before CA release a patch or add on pack and there is a lot of work to do still.

It looks like the majority of people would like to go for the new map so I think that'll be the way we go. Going to leave it open for a little while longer.

here are the Shaolin Monks in the meantime:

Excellent, getting better by the day, and the speed with which you progress is unheard of. I don't believe it wrong to say that you make more models then all other mods combined. Anyway, one slight note: Shaolin monks, like other monks, have nine scars burned on top of their heads. The nine are arranged in a 3 by 3 pattern, square, not diamond and they are noticible.
    The Western wind carries with it the scent of triumph...

I had a go at adjusting the campmap textures to get a more ancient look and improve clarity. What do you think? Eventually obviously, town, bridge, boat models etc will be modded too:

Just your average dragoon Member DragoonXXIV's Avatar

I dunno... it seems too sparse... Personally i liked the R:TW campaign map textures.

i love it!!!! those textures are well....hot!

That's what SHE said... Member Seydlitz's Avatar

DON'T CHANGE YOUR CAMPAIGN MAP!!

Alright, just wanted to say that before I say This is one of the most fantastic mods I have seen yet. I won't have enough space on my HD to install all the mods I want to play for RTW, but this one will defintley be one of them. Hoggy, you are GOD.

And about the Campaign map:
    This is Blue Lotus: Total war! Not Semi-realistic-South-Eastern-Asia-With-A-Monk-Island-and-Demons-in-Russia: Total War. I think a creative campaign map makes the game even more interesting, and this is fantasy anyways! Screw realism!! There are about 7912364 (+ or - 247824) realistic mods out there, with excellent real world geography ([plug]like Europa Barbarorum[/plug]), so let's concentrate on making this game even more funky and mythical. It's more original, and I think it will be funner in the long run.

An idea to maybe fix the problem the AI has with amphibious assaults is connect all the islands so they form a crescent shaped lake in the middle, with the sea on the outside, but then cut through where there is currently sea gaps with a bridgable river. Here is a quick drawing of what I mean (Based off pg.8 map):

Then, as a unit idea, you should defintley have the monkey empire out of the Indian Ramayanah as a rebel state or something! I think they'd fit in well with the snow monkey being in already,and all. Ravanah the 10 headed demon and other cool indian demons could be included as well. If you want to see some ideas for them, my friend has the whole Ramayanah in comic book form and I could post some images from it up here.

Otherwise, KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK. This has officially become one of my top 3 favorite mods

- Seyd

P.S. I think those textures for the Campaign Map fit in perfectly with the feel you already have in the mod. Love 'em

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Since you are making a fantasy map, perhaps you could include canyons:

Should give some interesting battlemaps.

Well... I just now found this thread.

The first thing I have to say regarding this mod is:

WOW!

I'm simply floored here, and don't know whether to say I am dissapointed I haven't found it earlier, or am happy that I haven't, for the fact that I have sat nonstop on this thread looking at page after page with eyes wide in amazement at each new image, becoming a constant, nonstop wow fest, whereas if I had discovered it earlier, it wouldn't be quite as intense.

AWESOME MOD! I can't wait to see this thing come out! Honestly, it has also gotten me more interested in chinese and other cultures more ancient army types(was already into Japanese stuff before).

I can only agree with what everyone else have said 1000 times already:

Your units are absolutely AMAZING Hoggy!!!!!!!!
    Keep up the brilliant work. I for one will get this mod when it is released.

[GG]von Döbeln

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast