Thread: The way they speak??

This is probably the most weiredest subject I'll ever come up with. And I would understand if no one would reply; the reason being they would be asking what the hell would I be smoking at this point. But it's worth a try.

I'm trying to make the stories I'm doing for www.totalwar.org as realistic as possible; now there's a thing in which one of the character's swear; I won't go into detail; but it's only one word; actually its ****; there I said it.
    Now; would they have said these kind of things in 16th century Japan. I think they would've; or have i been writing to much modern stuff?

If you could understand any of that; I like to congraulate you. Can you put any opinions please it would be really helpful.

Harrison.

Ok then.

when do they swear

------------------
    "Failure is not an option"
    I will be Baron of the world.

Naughty Little Hippy Senior Member Tachikaze's Avatar

Japanese generally don't swear the same way Westerners do. They traditionally don't tend to use words about sex and bodily functions as swear words. Although I have heard a Japanese say "kuso" in a couple of movies (like Hell in the Pacific).

I know of some words Japanese do say as insults and swearing today, but I don't know if they were used 400 years ago. Japanese insults tend to be less crude than Western ones.

For a good source of modern Japanese slang, find Making Out in Japanese by Todd and Erika Geers.

I have looked for four asterisks in my Japanese dictionary and can't find a translation. It must be obsolete.

Screw luxury; resist convenience.