Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools: Unit and Building Editors: Caligula & Hadrian

Altogether quite not there! Member GodsPetMonkey's Avatar

Default Re: Unit and Building Editors for RTW

Quote Originally Posted by Boss
    hey both of these things are awesome, they help eliminate all the stupid errors like typing a key on accident when trying to hit something else.

screw tylenol, this thing fixed my headache
    Thanks for the compliments.

Perhaps I should make them only available on prescription
    Caligula and Hadrian - Unit and Building editors for Rome: Total War.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

hmm, can't seem to download Caligula v0.5.

Quote Originally Posted by alman7272
    hmm, can't seem to download Caligula v0.5.

Whoops, should be fixed now. I probably should have tested it earlier.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

Thanks - good job on it.

I got a problem- i use the cappadocian cav. model and edit all its stats to make my new unit strong....i dismount them and add attck, etc., and a new discription. When im done i click 'save changes' and then save it to the models_unit part of the data section. When i run the game they dont show up, what gives?

Help plez...

-Shi
    "A general's triumph meets ten thousand rotting bones"

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyuan
    I got a problem- i use the cappadocian cav. model and edit all its stats to make my new unit strong....i dismount them and add attck, etc., and a new discription. When im done i click 'save changes' and then save it to the models_unit part of the data section. When i run the game they dont show up, what gives?

Help plez...

-Shi
    I take it the game launches with the modified files?

I'm not entirely sure on what your trying to do, are you trying to create a soldier model (by recycling another one?) and then use that on a new unit you have created?

If so, it could either be the unit, or the model at fault. Try changing the units model to something that you know does work (a similar model that the game came with is a good start) and see what happens. Which one to use depends alot on your unit, if you unit has a secondary weapon but the model does ont support it, it could cause issues.
    Now editing -

Quote Originally Posted by GodsPetMonkey
    If so, it could either be the unit, or the model at fault. Try changing the units model to something that you know does work (a similar model that the game came with is a good start) and see what happens. Which one to use depends alot on your unit, if you unit has a secondary weapon but the model does ont support it, it could cause issues.
    OK- now what i did was jsut alter the cappadocian cav's stats and renamed it to Pontus Samurai Archers, then saved it as a CAS file to models_unti in data section...will it work ok?

Ty for help :)

OK- now what i did was jsut alter the cappadocian cav's stats and renamed it to Pontus Samurai Archers, then saved it as a CAS file to models_unti in data section...will it work ok?

Ty for help :)
    Still not entirely sure how your going about it, but I'll take a stab.

In the export_descr_unit.txt file you have just copied the Cappadocian Cavalry's stats, and renamed them, so you have something like this...
    type Samurai Archers
    dictionary east_cappodocian_cavalry ; Cappadocian Cavalry
    soldier east_cappodocian_cavalry, 27, 0, 1
    mount horse cataphract
    Important are the soldier and mount attributes. If its still mounted, then leave it as it is and it should be fine, but I think you mentioned you dismounted it, so make sure thats removed entirely.

The soldier refers to an entry in the descr_model_battle.txt file, if your just using the same model as that for the original cavalry, you wont need to edit it, if you want to recycle the model and change it (again, for say dismounting it) then you will need to create a new entry in the descr_model_battle.txt file for your modified CAS as appropriate, and then the name you give the model (called 'type' in descr_model_battle.txt) is then used on the soldier line.

I'm afraid I dont know much about the adding of new models, its not really the primary focus of my editor, but there are some good guides arround, perhaps they will proove more useful?
    Now editing -

OK its still bein gay- even when i did everything right:

Since i dismounted the cappo cavalry, my descr_model_battle text thing for my Armenian Samurai (i changed its name) looks like:

type east_armenia_samurai
    skeleton fs_hc_spearman, fs_hc_swordsman
    indiv_range 40
    texture pontus,

data/models_unit/textures/unit_eastern_cappodocean_cavalry_pontus.tga
    model_flexi_m data/models_unit/east_armenia_samurai.cas, 15
    model_flexi_m data/models_unit/east_armenia_samurai.cas, 30
    model_flexi_m data/models_unit/east_armenia_samurai.cas, 40
    model_flexi data/models_unit/east_armenia_samurai.cas, max
    model_sprite pontus, 60.0,

data/sprites/pontus_east_cappodocean_cavalry_sprite.spr
    model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f
    and my caligula stats look like:

Type: east armenia samurai
    Dictionary: east_cappodocian_cavalry ; Cappadocian Cavalry
    Category: infantry
    Class: heavy
    ------
    Soldiers-
    Name: east_armenia_samurai
    Number: 40
    Extras: 0
    Collison mass: 1

also i have spear checkmarked in the secondary weapon (primary is a bow/arrow).
    Sorry to cause u hassle- this is very confusing....

-Shi

The problem for me is its playing arround with things I know little about, models.

Maybe just try to get it to work with a spear alone, and see how that goes, the 2 weapons may be causing the problem?
    Now editing -

New version of Hadrian, taking it to 0.4.3.

This one implements a ease of use feature that I have been wanting for sometime now, and makes adding recruitment to buildings much easier.

Firstly, you can now load a list of unit names from any export_descr_unit.txt file, I did this as most unit names are stupidly long, and you would just copy and paste it anyway.

Secondly I put in a button that 'Cascades' the recruitment through the complex. Basically, this makes all buildings of a level higher then the current one recruit the currently selected unit, for example, if you add a new unit to be recruited by the base level baracks, you can just press this button and all the levels above it can recruit it to, so you dont have to manually add it to every level, ensureing the recruitment ability does not go away when the building is upgraded.
    Now editing -

Do you need enums or whatever to make ur unit work?

As lonf as you use an existing dictionary (as you are) enums shouldn't be needed.

I'm pretty sure its a problem at the model level, rather then the entry in the unit file.
    Now editing -

Meh... no matter what I do I cant even make the simplest edited unit to appear in-game.....blah

Meh... no matter what I do I cant even make the simplest edited unit to appear in-game.....blah

Try sending me the files your trying to edit, perhaps I will see whats wrong.

Could be something with my editors. Give me a PM and I'll give you more details.
    Now editing -

Quote Originally Posted by GodsPetMonkey
    A new version for Caligula taking it to 0.5.0, and it somewhat marks a change in focus in my development on these 2 tools, rather then adding more and more supported files, its about makeing whats there easier to use. Well really its just implementing features which appeal to the lazy person inside me (so expect them for Hadrian too!)

But this time, its the final coming of the long ago mentioned "Batch Processing", there is a basic guide in the readme, and I plan on making a more visual (but short) guide for it as well, but for now, its a little gem!
    Actually, the guide is done, its pretty simple, but its a pretty simple system anyway!
    http://www.users.on.net/~roehr/Batch.html

A request also, what kind of lazy modding features would you like to see in Caligula and Hadrian? This includes more things you can do with the batch processing!
    Salve GPM,

I have used Caligula 5.0 to change unit numbers with no problem, except for one...

Legionary First Cohort i & Legionary First Cohort ii

I cannot change the number of soldiers to 70 or greater for Legionary First Cohorts without a CTD.

I am playing on HUGE scale (x4 scale multiplier) with Centurions and Standards mod..

so, I use 50 x 4 = 200 per Legionary Cohort i & ii (no CTD problems)

but, I also want to use 70 x 4 = 280 per First Cohort i & ii (but then I get CTD on game startup... if I use 69 or less, then no CTD...)

70 X 4 = 280 which is less than 300, so I don't understand why there is a CTD.

Other than that, I can change elephants, ballistas, onagers, cavalry, chariots, etc. without any CTD problems.. a very nice tool for the tool box.. thanks very much..

Vale, Dux of Earl
    Artillerie... l'Argument Final des Rois

Yes, well, welcome to the world of silly restrictions impossed by CA!

A unit must contain between 6 and 60 soldiers inclusive, sadly 60 is the maximum you can have (as a base).

The official explination is something along the lines of there being a maximum of 256 men per unit, and on huge sizes 60 comes out to be 240 men, which is close enough for it to be the restriction.

The 300 unit limit is the number of different trainable units you can have, and different from the number of men per unit. There is a program that can alter the number of men per unit, but it works on patching memory, and causes some stability issues, and isnt the best solution any which way. To get it changed, it just has to be added to the long list of things we want CA to do....
    Now editing -

Good stuff, GPM!
    BTW, I'm sure this is answered elsewhere,
    and you'd be rich if you had one aussiebuck per reiteration etc, but:
    -do you affect God's stats?
    -can you be transferred to another deity?
    -how do you get along with the rest of the retinue?
    Sono Pazzi Questi Romani
    Paul Peru: Holier than thy bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Peru
    Good stuff, GPM!
    BTW, I'm sure this is answered elsewhere,
    and you'd be rich if you had one aussiebuck per reiteration etc, but:
    -do you affect God's stats?
    +1 to Influence, everyone loves a monkey!
    -can you be transferred to another deity?
    If you could get them in the same stack, but God seems to have an issue with that.
    -how do you get along with the rest of the retinue?
    Well, Gabriel and I like to have the occasional dung throwing competition...

(All in good humour! I swear!)
    Now editing -

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Hello,

Just wanted to thank you for making these two utilities, been using them and making changes very ncielly :)

The only small problem I got was with unit Pics, I get the generic paysant Picture, so I am reading your previous reply refering to those immages. :)

Thank you
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

I just started using the Caligula Editor(the latest version). I've run into a problem. I'm playing as the Scipii. What I'm trying to do is add better versions of the ships just for the Scipii. I'm also changing the standard ship entries so that instead of it saying "roman" it says "romans julii, romans brutii, romans senate" for who can use the standard ship. I'm doing that so I can only build the better ships and not the standard ones.

However the game doesn't like it when I change who can use the standard ships. The game doesn't load and it goes back to the desktop. After looking at things I think the problem is that I'm making the line too long when I add the "romans julii, romans brutii, etc...".

This is my first attempt at modding the game so I really don't know what I'm doing. I'd appreciate any help you can give me! So here are my questions:

1) Is the game crashing because I added too many names for who can use the standard ships? If so, how can I have everyone but the Scipii use the standard ships?

2) When I do add my new ships, I want to call them something like "Scipii Biremes". Do I just change the Unit name on the top next to the Category, or do I also need to change the Type name and Dictionary name?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Quote Originally Posted by pitfall317
    I just started using the Caligula Editor(the latest version). I've run into a problem. I'm playing as the Scipii. What I'm trying to do is add better versions of the ships just for the Scipii. I'm also changing the standard ship entries so that instead of it saying "roman" it says "romans julii, romans brutii, romans senate" for who can use the standard ship. I'm doing that so I can only build the better ships and not the standard ones.

However the game doesn't like it when I change who can use the standard ships. The game doesn't load and it goes back to the desktop. After looking at things I think the problem is that I'm making the line too long when I add the "romans julii, romans brutii, etc...".

This is my first attempt at modding the game so I really don't know what I'm doing. I'd appreciate any help you can give me! So here are my questions:

1) Is the game crashing because I added too many names for who can use the standard ships? If so, how can I have everyone but the Scipii use the standard ships?

2) When I do add my new ships, I want to call them something like "Scipii Biremes". Do I just change the Unit name on the top next to the Category, or do I also need to change the Type name and Dictionary name?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
    To answer your questions...

1) No
    2) The 'Type' attribute and the name in the drop down box next to category (called 'Unit:") are one in the same. It has to be unique for that unit. The dictionary can be that of an existing unit (like another ship) and means you dont have to worry about enums, etc.

As for the problem... Well, its hard to say the cause, the ownership line isn't fancy or complex (something I plan to change, so it looks more like the faction requirements box in Hadrian) and in your case, should read something like "romans julii,romans brutii,romans senate", without the "" of course. A good idea would be to send me a copy of the broken file, whilst I have tried Caligula alot with infantry, cavalry and siege units, I havent really touched ships, so it may be a major bug that had nothing to do with your edits (though I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up before).

Also, you will need to edit the buildings file in order to set who can train the ships in the campaign game. In this case, the ownership isnt all that important as by default you cant bribe navies, nor use them in custom battles.
    Now editing -

Wandering Historian Member eadingas's Avatar
    Llanfairpwll- gwyngyll- gogerych- wyrndrobwll- llantysilio- gogogoch

BTW, if you don't want a certain faction to get a building or a unit, instead of writing all the other factions, you can write 'and not faction {xxx, }'. But I've never seen a game crash because of a line too long before.
    I'm still not here

New versions of both Hadrian and Caligula, in both cases its just a set of bug fixes, and I moved the HP data in Caligula to the unit details tab, it seemed silly to have a tab for just 2 attributes.

Big thanks to those that point out any bugs or issues they have to me, you know who you are, and I'm very grateful .
    Now editing -

A new year, and a new revision of Caligula!

This time arround, its all about the batch processing, being not all pleased with the bloated, messy, and hard to work with original, I rewrote it from scratch, and now its much nicer!

I also included a new change (that prompted my rewriting in the first place), selecting the attribute to search by. I only added one new option, "Class" (to "Type", which is what its been on all along). Class is the attribute that provides a broad description of the units role, like light, heavy and missile. Its not the same as category, although it has a similarish role.
    This is more or less the next step for this particular feature, I want to expand the search part of it, even be able to stack different searches together (eg. All light infantry built by the greeks) but that may be some time off, I have put alot of thought into how to do it, but most of the ideas I have had have either been to grand, or just wont work.
    Its all about making large scale changes much easier, rather then a tool that just allows addind and editing one unit at a time.
    Now editing -

Salve GPM,

Hadrian v0.4.4... the link on page 1 appears to be broken...

Vale, Dux of Earl
    Artillerie... l'Argument Final des Rois

Quote Originally Posted by Dux of Earl
    Salve GPM,

Hadrian v0.4.4... the link on page 1 appears to be broken...

Vale, Dux of Earl
    Sigh, this is the second time I have done that.

Thanks for pointing it out, should be fixed now.
    Now editing -

2 new versions, 2 new guides, and 1 new main post! I have been a busy boy.

As promised, I expanded the batch processing in Caligula, and redid the add new units functionality (much easier to use now!) which is also the topic of a new guide!

I have also uploaded a new version of Hadrian, just some bug fixes, and a guide for the adding of units to buildings, a very popular question, and I'm sick of emailing people the steps, so now you will just get the URL

I also finally redid the main post in this thread, the old one was stale, and very outdated.
    Now editing -

Hi, my first post here, Godpetmonkey the editors are great, i've read through this entire post, and somebody else mentioned this, they said that they have the peasant for the unit card on their new units, and you replied by linking to another thread, i've read that guide, did exactly that, unpacked the pack folder, then created the UI folder in the data folder, then created UNITS and UNIT_INFO folder copied the TGA's for the greek hoplite elite to the new folder under the folder ROMANS_BRUTII in UNITS and UNIT_INFO. Ok problem is i got the unit info card to work, but not the actual unit icon button. When i go to recruit it the button is still a peasant. I made sure i copied the correct files, GREEK_HOPLITE_ELITE_INFO.TGA is in the unit_info/roman_brutii folder. And the #GREEK_HOPLITE_ELITE.TGA is in the unit/roman/brutii folder. The unit info works but not the actual unit button. I'm not sure what or where i screwed up. Please help

thanks

scott

You on the right track, just looks like your at the wrong station

Ok, first of all, lets get your folders in order (its been a while since I have done this, but it should be right).
    For the Brutii, we should have 2 folders.. from the root RTW directory -
    Data\UI\UNITS\ROMANS_BRUTII
    Data\UI\UNIT_INFO\ROMANS_BRUTII
    As long as the files are named right, and in the right directory, it should all go fine. So make sure your spelling is correct! (and I know all to well how easy it is to make a small typo and not notice)

Now, it seems as if you got your UNIT_INFO set up going fine, and as far as I can tell the directories are good for the normal unit card as well, but you say
    And the #GREEK_HOPLITE_ELITE.TGA is in the unit/roman/brutii folder
    This could be a typo (quite easily). If not, then its your cause!

If everything seems right but still nothing is going, then do what I did when I first set up my UI. You say you have unpacked the UI pak, and hopefully you haven't deleted it. Now, go to where you unpacked it, select the base UI folder, and move it to your RTW/data folder. This way it will move all the UI folder into the correct positions to be used by RTW (and set up a working directory structure). Try again to copy the files into the right directories, and away we go.

If all of that fails.... hmmmm, something is up. Post again and we shall delve deeper!
    Now editing -

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast