Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tools: Unit and Building Editors: Caligula & Hadrian

Default Re: Unit and Building Editors: Caligula & Hadrian

Basically if you wish to remove unit from the game you need to delete all reference in all other files too like export_descr_buildings etc

I downloaded Caligula but when I try to run it it says one of it's dependincies is missing. Does anyone know why this is?
    Delenda est Carthago
    - Carthage must be destroyed
    Marcus Porcius Cato during the Punic Wars
    Delenda est Romanus
    - Rome must be destroyed
    Melman Forbes whle playing RTW has Carthage
    My website

Altogether quite not there! Member GodsPetMonkey's Avatar

New versions of both Caligula and Hadrian, featuring a few bug fixes.
    Thanks to everyone who emails me about bugs they find, you all help it be a better piece of software.
    Caligula and Hadrian - Unit and Building editors for Rome: Total War.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

hey GPM,

Continuing to enjoy these two tools, and at this point a question/request if you may.

Would it be possible to include functionality for the Sprites?

I mean when adding a new Unit, would it be possible that it would also autmatically create proper entries for the "Long Distance Sprites"...

Thanks
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

You mean in descr_model_battle.txt?

The sprite's path is part of a models entry in that file, which is linked to a unit through the model entry's name (thus a sprite is associated to a unit by proxy, its not a direct link). In that way, I don't see how I could do what your asking.

But I could be mis-interpreting what your saying.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Hello,

Yes, its about the issue with dissapearing Units at long disttances, when lets say we take a Unit and also give it to another Faction, this happens.

It is described better by Itkotw in a link you have provided about Unit Cards.

Hmm, I have been thinking about the disappearing axemen. I had a similar problem when I first tried to give the gauls axemen. The troops would disappear at long ranges. All I can say is check the descr_model_battle file, and make sure this line appears under the "warband_axe" section (I incorrectly called this the "warband axe german" section in my second post) -

model_sprite gauls, 60.0, data/sprites/germans_warband_axe_sprite.spr

This just tells the game to use the german axemen sprites for the gauls. This is needed because the game stops using 3d models at long ranges and switches to sprites (cheesy, but fast, 2d images)(I forgot to add the second sprite line when I first edited the axemen).
    Do you think it would be possible for the tools to have a Tab in which we can prolly specify a couple of things (like the name of our new unit and the actual name of the sprites to be used) and then the tool could add the appropriate lines in the file?

Would that be possible ot is it too complicated and would require too much coding?

If too much coding is involved then I it is Ok I guess, the tools are awesome as it is, and some manual modification never hurts :)
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Yes, I see what you mean now, I will definately take a look into it.
    Now editing -

Member Member Andromachus Theodoulos's Avatar

Apologies, this is my first posting on this forum, or for that matter, any forum.

Greetings to all,

I have modded only slightly in Medieval TW, but I have not modded at all within Rome. I remember reading that Rome was going to be one of the most modable games on the market. I hope that is true and I that perhaps I have missed something.

I appreciate the time that you (GPM) have freely committed to creating both Hadrian and Caligula. I hope that they can help me do the things I want to do to the game.

I read about you guys changing models around within the game for certain units (I think through Caligula, though I could have misunderstood). I now have realized that I cannot create new models without making use of 3dsmax software, which is disappointing (or maybe I am coming to a wrong conclusion on the matter).

Here are three questions

#1 I want to change some of the units, perhaps using existing tools, without having to purchase an expensive software program (3dsmax). Is it possible to just change heads on a figure, like removing the Corinthian helm from the Greek Armored Hoplite and using the standard head from the regular Greek hoplite.

#2 Also, if possible, can I change the shields of various figures, like use the flat oval shield (Found with the Auxilia) for Legionaries, instead of the standard Legionary scutum. Can I do this through Caligula, or do I need some other mod tool, or am I left with having no alternative but to accept the models with way they are…

#3 Is there a way I can keep certain units from showing up in the game (Primarily in the Campaign). I don’t want to delete them, just not make them available to any of the factions for training.

Could you (or anyone) please help…?

Thanks

Andromachus

I'm sorry I've only just started moddding RTW, but in the absence of some of the gods answering, I'll try to answer your questions.

1.Units are 3-d models but with a "skin applied" . The 3-d unit is a CAS file which requires Max to edit. You can edit the skins however in 2-d.(these are tga.dds files) This is described elsewhere on the forum. To change a head shape would require the 3-d model change, to change its appearance(skin) is much easier.

2.I believe you can change weapons etc in the txt files , again look in this forum

3.This also requires editing of the txt files only .

I thnk all your answers are available here in the modding forums.
    Such is life- Ned Kelly -his last words just before he was hanged.

Razor1952 is pretty much correct....

#1 and #2 will need editing of the 3d model.

#3 though is easy enough, you just need to remove the respective units entry from the buildings file, which means its doable through Hadrian.
    Now editing -

you can change the "texture" type of the head/helmet,until a certain measure,only editing the graphical part of it (the xxxx.tga.dds file)
    but if you want to modify it radically,you need to work into the 3D mesh

shields,provided that the solid part of it in the 3D mesh is large enough,can be "adjusted" just workin' on the texture and the alfa channel,by default the material of the mesh (3 D solid part in Studio max) is ready to accept a "solid/transparent" type of texturing by the means of the Alfa channel,so you need skills with some graphic package ( photoshop,PSP etc..etc...)

sure,you have to edit the export_descr_buiding.txt and remove the units you don't want from the "recruiting"....
    this way tey'll be ready for custom battles but not implemented into campaigns.
    Il dado è tratto....

Whenever I try to open Caligula from winzip, I get a message saying that there could be files missing or sorrupted etc. I assume this is because I don't have the "VB6 runtimes." Before I download them, could someone just tell me what they do and how I can install them? I have windows 98 SE by the way, if that's at all important.
    If cockroaches can survive nuclear fallout, then what's in a can of RAID?

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheTerrible
    Whenever I try to open Caligula from winzip, I get a message saying that there could be files missing or sorrupted etc. I assume this is because I don't have the "VB6 runtimes." Before I download them, could someone just tell me what they do and how I can install them? I have windows 98 SE by the way, if that's at all important.
    Probably something wrong with the zip itself.
    Try downloading it again.
    Now editing -

I re-downloaded it, and it gives me the same message.

I re-downloaded it, and it gives me the same message.
    Hmmm....

Try this one then, http://www.users.on.net/~roehr/RTW/C...a/Caligula.zip
    Now editing -

Same thing from that link. I get the message Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.
    Last edited by BobTheTerrible; 03-03-2005 at 04:24.

Same thing from that link. I get the message Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.
    Check the readme for a link to that file.
    Now editing -

Yeah, I knew I had to download the runtimes, but I don't know exactly what they are/what they do/how to install them. Those are my only questions. Sorry for cluttering the thread by the way :/

One of the downloads is an exe, just run it, the others you can put in the same directory as the Caligula .exe, easier that way if you dont know how, or arnt confident about placing stuff in your system32 directory.
    Now editing -

When I download the 'COMDLG32.OCX' file, it asks me what program I want to use to open it. Does this require me to get further software? As I said before, I have windows 98 se so I don't know if this file type isn't supported on my computer.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

No, you don't need to open it, just put it in the same directory as Caligua

Correct me if I'm wrong Monkey

Ok, I got it working. Thanks Monkey for helping. However, I seem to have run into another problem. When I go to the "batch" tab, I select type infantry, stat morale, +, and a number. (I have the export_descr_unit_ file the game uses opened) Whenever I tell it to process, nothing happens. Did I miss something? The "save changes" button at the bottom doesn't become selectable. What am I doing wrong?

Ok, I got it working. Thanks Monkey for helping. However, I seem to have run into another problem. When I go to the "batch" tab, I select type infantry, stat morale, +, and a number. (I have the export_descr_unit_ file the game uses opened) Whenever I tell it to process, nothing happens. Did I miss something? The "save changes" button at the bottom doesn't become selectable. What am I doing wrong?
    Ahhh, crap, that bug still happens. Damn it!

Ok, nothing happening is normal, cause stuff does happen, you just dont see it!

Easy way to tell if it has worked, select an individual unit first (one of the peasants is fine). Note the morale, then do your batch, no go back, reselect the unit again, and the morale should have changed

The fix for the save changes not showing is the same, select and unit and it should light up. I swear I had it happening after you press 'Process', but obviously not
    Now editing -

It still doesn't show up as changing, even after multple times :/

Make sure you have selected both a category and a search in the batch tab (even if you enter nothing in the search string, you need to select an attribute to search by, something that is commonly missed )
    Now editing -

Still doesnt seem to work.. :/

The settings on the batch screen should look something like this....

http://www.users.on.net/~roehr/Batch.jpg
    Now editing -

Looks good. But how do we change the unit names/dictionary in Caligua?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fractious_celt
    Looks good. But how do we change the unit names/dictionary in Caligua?

Thanks.
    The unit names (ie. what you see in game) are contained within export_units.txt, which can be edited in the "[Enums]" tab.
    Now editing -

New version of Caligula!

Thanks to everyone who emails me about any bugs they find... they are getting less and less in number, bet you all help make this a better piece of software.
    Now editing -

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast