Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Research: the best foot unit

Chillin with my unit of clibanarii immortals

Default Re: Research: the best foot unit

Wait...Are we talking best foot unit in terms of cost effectiveness/Turn Production? Or best foot unit?

Spartans. Is their armor rating really that low? Even then 40 Spartans could probably take 80 chosen archers. How many spartans can you kill with a unit of archers from a range? Also my spartans can deaden a cav charge. Bowmen Arent as good as stopping cataphracts. Or chariots for that matter.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Research: the best foot unit

Quote Originally Posted by Afkazar
    Wait...Are we talking best foot unit in terms of cost effectiveness/Turn Production? Or best foot unit?
    Best foot. The most cost-effective unit is discussed in this thread.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Afkazar

Spartans. Is their armor rating really that low? Even then 40 Spartans could probably take 80 chosen archers. How many spartans can you kill with a unit of archers from a range? Also my spartans can deaden a cav charge. Bowmen Arent as good as stopping cataphracts. Or chariots for that matter.
    To be honest I find spartans riddiculously overrated, if I want two hitpoints I'll get myself some spanish bull warriors. The spartans seem to abandon the phalanx seeking hand to hand combat, only to be swarmed and wiped out

plus, they just look silly
    Alcohol is the cause and solution to all of man's issues

Baloonz: by Pharnakles
    by Jebivjetar (es bastante loco)

Chillin with my unit of clibanarii immortals

To be honest I find spartans riddiculously overrated, if I want two hitpoints I'll get myself some spanish bull warriors. The spartans seem to abandon the phalanx seeking hand to hand combat, only to be swarmed and wiped out
    Listen, In terms of flexibility you want either spartans or urban cohorts. I dont understand how your getting Bull warriors > Spartans. If your spartans are getting swarmed you don't have enough of them. And if you claim they cost to much then you in the wrong thread.

Archers Cant damage most high armor units from the front. And they get eaten by Cav.

When Im looking at Best Infantry Im looking at a few factors

1.Vs other Foot Infantry. As the ground pounder you must be able to take the bulk of an enemy force.
    Here Urbans and Spartans Win.Maybe Archers if they can encircle you.

2.Vs Cavalry. If your best unit gets eaten by Cataphracts what good is it?
    Urbans and spartans again. Urbans can Hold up pretty good against the charge. Archers completely fail here.

3.Vs CrAzY units. Chariots and elephants can wreck alot of armies.
    Spartans and Archers go here. Spartans can stop both units really well. Archers can make elephants run so they are here too. Berserkers eat urbans.

4. Defense. You cant get shot to death before the battle starts.
    Urbans and to a somewhat less degree spartans. Also Its very easy to maneuver archers around phalanxs so spartans lose credibility.

5.Choke Points. Entrances to bridges, City Streets, Holes in gates.
    Spartans are gods here. Hell any Phalanx will do good here.

these chosen archer warbands are exactly the same as venetian archers in m2tw (my favorite unit because of flexibility).
    basicly after im done using the arrows they can charge the flank of rear of an enemy and change the tide of the battle.
    Last edited by russveld; 12-27-2007 at 18:18.
    randomness
    aww hell no

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123