Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing as the Senate

Default Playing as the Senate

I recently started a campaign as the Senate and wiped out the other Roman factions from the get go. To me that seems to be more fun... one sole Roman faction to take on everyone else... seems like it'll be tougher. Anybody else think playing the Senate is more fun than the other Roman factions?

Default Re: Playing as the Senate

it is fun but the beginning sucks

Like a "Caesar-wanna-be" campaign.....

I don't play as the senate as it is bugged - eg. if you click on the senate info screen it will ctd
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Has anyone attacked the Senate in the first few turns. I'm gonna try that tonight. Build up a load of hastati with my starting 5000 Dn and march on Rome.

They have a big army, but I think I'll give it a try.
    He was no longer to be addressed as Gaius Octavius Julius but insisted on being called Augustus Caesar and he now styled himself as 'divi filius' - 'son of god'.

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

CA Re: Playing as the Senate

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    I don't play as the senate as it is bugged - eg. if you click on the senate info screen it will ctd
    So. Let's get this absolutely straight: you mod the game to do something it wasn't designed to do - that is, play as the non-playable Senate - and then you come here and moan when it doesn't work after you've broken it?

The game has been advertised from the start as including the Senate as a non-playable faction. Therefore, it can hardly be a bug that the game is non-playable when the non-playable Senate are modified to be playable, now can it?

Ho hum.
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Next to Tom, opposite Charlie, staring at Jerome

CA Re: Playing as the Senate

More importantly, as the good Captain will be unaware of, from a code point of view the Senate isn't a faction in the familiar sense of the word. It has a whole tranche of other control code (wot I wrote) which will be bypassed if it has no AI controller (which it won't if it's under human control). Execution degradation will probably cause crashes.

Don't do it kids. That way lies frustration and blindness.
    There's more to life than programming, I'm told.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

i dont think people are complaining about a "buggy senate mod" from a "programming" point of view,
    (ie it is NOT CA's fault)

I think the complaints are more along the lines of,
    "while playing the senate may be amusing, the senate was not designed to BE playable and the bugs the senate mod introduces to gameplay ruin the Rome Experience"

In other words they know the game is not designed to allow the Senate to be played,
    but just like papal mods in Medieval, someone will always want to make it "playable", even if it is only in a limited sense.

They are not complaining about Rome, or about anything from CA, they are merely commenting on wether they are prepared to tolerate (or not tolerate) the bugs the Senate Mod creates.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Capital of the New Spartan Empire -- Sparta

Who wants to play the Senate, that's gay. Play as the Spartans, their going to rule the world. But in my Empire its no the gayness, their all striaght... or they should be.

While I wouldn't want to play as the Senate, I wouldn't mind having my Legions under the Senate faction banner. That purple SPQR banner is so cool. It's so ..........ROMAN.
    Don't let life pass you by. Go with the flow.

Capital of the New Spartan Empire -- Sparta

Um... didnt the Romans use Red as their official military color?

To the Roman who wants to attack the sneate!....You cannot attack the Sneate until your popularity is high eneough. I tried and the AI God told me so....

The only joy I find playing as the senate is, that I own Rome, the most advanced city in the game. And because I want to play isolationist for a few years I have to disband my massive army.

How does the AI upkeep it's pink horde?

Ísland...or Iceland for ye darn foreigners :)

Taxes from the other roman faction of course....or maybe independantly wealthy business men? Could be church donations of course.....guided tours into the vestal virgins quarters
    Roma must be destroyed

And I believe I read somewhere that homosexuality was fairly accepted and fairly common in ancient Greece, most particularly in Sparta. So Siris, most of your Spartans are going to be gay whether you like it or not.

I think the issue Captain and hatcat had was with the use of the word 'bug'. A bug implies something being broken/not working as intended. In the case of playing as the senate, there is no bug in the code. It's that the requesite code for the senate to be as fully playable as 'regular' playable factions are is knowingly non-existant.

Programmers tend to get a bit defensive when they get told they've done something wrong (i.e. there's a bug), when in actual fact the code is doing what it was supposed to, and it's the implimentation or interpretation of the user that's at fault.
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

Psychotic Shock Trooper Member Excalibur Bane's Avatar

Ouch Captain. Don't go postal on us now. I don't think he meant it that way. I believe we all know the risks associated with modding the game ourselves and we accept any defects that may come up as a result of own stupidity. Playing as an unplayable faction is probably not a good idea, period. But the option is there, just don't expect it to be problem free.
    Founder and eternal member of the UBB
    www.ubb.org

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

LOL... I work in the software industry too, support for some business software we produce...

Our devs also get all twitchy when they hear the word "bug"...

I can't count the number of times a reported "bug" has amazingly turned out to be an undocumented "feature"...

in green fields, with the sun on my face..

Siris...where did you get that Spartan?

Totally cool. Is is a mod? Did you make him? Can I have one?

-Attalus-
    Fool me once...shame on you.
    Fool me twice...prepare to die.
    -Attalus-
    Fool me once...shame on you
    Fool me twice...prepare to die

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius Julius
    Has anyone attacked the Senate in the first few turns. I'm gonna try that tonight. Build up a load of hastati with my starting 5000 Dn and march on Rome.

They have a big army, but I think I'll give it a try.
    Not possible mate. You can't attack the Senate unless your people popularity is above 7 or something like that (you can't attack the other romans at the start)
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

So. Let's get this absolutely straight: you mod the game to do something it wasn't designed to do - that is, play as the non-playable Senate - and then you come here and moan when it doesn't work after you've broken it?
    No, no, no. The word 'bug' was used to describe a ctd. I never really wanted a campaign with the senate, just to see what their starting armys were ;). Since they never build (or not often), this helped me plan my civil war ;)

I can't count the number of times a reported "bug" has amazingly turned out to be an undocumented "feature"...
    lol
    Last edited by sapi; 11-13-2004 at 06:14.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Just go and RAZE ROME for good, maybe Pope wont be coming after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Siris
    Who wants to play the Senate, that's gay. Play as the Spartans, their going to rule the world. But in my Empire its no the gayness, their all striaght... or they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr
    And I believe I read somewhere that homosexuality was fairly accepted and fairly common in ancient Greece, most particularly in Sparta. So Siris, most of your Spartans are going to be gay whether you like it or not.
    I believe it was actually encouraged, as it added to the bond of brotherhood between fellow soldiers.

I can't see it working today, somehow ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Siris

Originally Posted by Satyr
    Siris you Gay Lord you.

Hmm if there was Gay Lords in RTW started back in time i would really be upset and would most grately punish them for their sins.

All i need is a baseball bat to teach them!

-Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by Bardan the Slayer
    I believe it was actually encouraged, as it added to the bond of brotherhood between fellow soldiers.

I can't see it working today, somehow ;)
    Actually that was a fact in ancient Thebes, a city near Athens. The best troops were selected to form a formidable legion called ‘ieros lohos’ (‘holy legion’ in free translation). They were divided in pares and each pare shared everything (food,bed…) and fought side by side till death. If one died then the other should die too. It was almost a rule that they were sexual partners as well.

One small note about ancient Greeks being gay: It was bisexuality that was common (and in a more platonic way actually…), not pure homosexuality. Also there was a small tendency towards youn boys...

Guess they had nothing else to do but play with themselves.

This is probably a stupid question but if i take over rome do the other roman factions automatically become my enemies

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus The Liar
    This is probably a stupid question but if i take over rome do the other roman factions automatically become my enemies
    well you're right about one thing at least...

Playing the senate is easy. Kill of Scipii and Brutii. After that, the Julii will never bother you to be honest. Then expand into Greece. There are tons of bugs though, which make it a bit ridiculous in the end. And you can't build temples.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast