Thread: Movie intro

Warlord movie shows a battle with fire arrows and cavalry and so on. It's very nice. I was wondering if anyone knows what movie it is from.
    And while at it, is there some web site that has a list of movies from that time period with extensive battles and overall Shogun TW theme?

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

It is from RAN. DT was going to use that footage in the original game, but for some reason they chose not to. I agree: the new into is great!

Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

For a film list of movies for try looking at the Sengoku Filmography section of the Sengoku site. You can even order most of the titles they list directly from it.

The filmography part of the Sengoku site is at the following:
    http://wwww.sengoku.com/viewlist.html

Senior Member Senior Member Ratta Yamamoto's Avatar

I thought it was from RAN. Isn't this film quite old? It seems very cool though.
    Every samurai heart is their sword, to lose their sword is to die.

I wonder, if the movie is full of battles like that one or is it just in the ending moment of the story and the whole movie before the end battle is full of drama between brothers and lots of subtitles reading to follow the story.

The film is from the eighties (1985 if my memory doesn't fail me). That's not the final battle - it features a real cavalry charge with tactics workable in STW, and is actually a whole lot cooler than the one they stuck in the intro. But maybe they wanted to draw a paraller between us and the poor old Lord Hidetora...

Those are the only two major battles in the movie, but they alone make it worth viewing. Definitely recommended.

------------------
    "It is my sole wish to serve the Emperor as His shield. I will not spare my life or honor."
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, composed on December 6, 1941
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

I have said so in other threads, but I have to agree with Anssi that RAN is definitely worth watching... and owning. It was one of the very first DVDs I purchased.

Kurosawa's incredible mastery of imagery is simply awesome. If you are looking for movies, I would think anything in the period by Kurosawa would scratch your itch. Other than RAN, I think "Kagemusha" might be your next-best bet for battles, but I have enjoyed a good many of his other "swords and sandals" stuff.

I also recommend Chushingura (see http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...677912-6751761 ) It's the famous story of the "47 Ronin" and very well done IMO.

I have yet to see "Heaven and Earth" ... BUT my copy is supposed to be in the mail! WooHoo!!

I just noticed I had typed in the site I gave above incorrectly, accidently added an extra "w" in it.
    Here is the correct site
    http://www.sengoku.com/viewlist.html

You can order most of the films right from that site, with a discount.

Disturbed Member TenkiWarPRIEST's Avatar

I want that movie!

------------------

I leap from depths
    of debt into the skies:
    Autumn of The Dragon.
    TenkiWarPriest Tsuchiya Great Clans of Tenki
    :M Gah WarPriest Gah - Krasturak

I leap from depths of debt into the skies.
    Autumn of The Dragon.

Heaven and Earth, is the one movie to get after Ran. Still wish they would release a subtitled version of Heaven and Earth with the Japanese version's running time, the original Japabese movie and the English subtitled version have diffrent running times.
    The fotage from Heaven and Earth would have been great to use if the didn't use Ran. Actually it might have looked even better if they used Heaven and Earth.
    Now something I noticed after wathing Ran again today, is that the colors on the opening of the CD seem darker than the version I have on video tape.

I just received my copy of "Heaven and Earth" in yesterday's mail and watched it for the first time last night.

No question, it's a great movie for those of us interested in the period!

I think "Ran" is still my favorite, though.