Thread: Ninjas (again)

Well, it seems like some of our guesses are fairly accurate, they are special forces it would seem.

Quote Battlefield Ninja
    Operating in small groups, the Battlefield Ninja are one of the most powerful units in the game. Their ability to hide, even in relatively open terrain, and their astounding combat abilities make them ideal for eliminating enemy generals on the battlefield and taking out key enemy units.[/QUOTE]

Dammit, thats two posts in a row I've been beaten to the punch by about a minute...Bah!

[This message has been edited by johnmcd (edited 01-06-2001).]

Imagine them flanking

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://www.darksideshogunclan.cjb.net
    Enter the Darkside...
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

re: super ninjas

that's too bad. I always thought the monks were a bit unbalanced and now it's only a matter of time before we get the all-ninja army joining the ranks of the all-monk and/or all-musket army.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Nive point here man. We could see full armies of ninja's and that would beb bad. But.... l can sat that a ninja unit will be very excencive around 1000( l hope). Also they have no armour so they will be easy killed by archers and gunmen. Also CA could reach em easily.

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://www.darksideshogunclan.cjb.net
    Enter the Darkside...
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

soly is right on target! The monks are wacky enough without this ninja crap. And not just because all ninja armies could appear. Even one unit would be gross. Take out key enemy units! What a crock!

I don't care if they are easily countered or not. Battlefield ninja are a bad, lousy idea. Period.

Is there any evidence AT ALL of a ninja getting to a taisho during a battle?

What we really need are ashigaru archers and a mixed cav/infantry unit (kibamusha). Koreans too would be nice.

And while I'm PO'ed, Mongols don't fit in the 16th century even if they are popular. This expansion is all marketing and little history. S:TW meets AoK while history takes yet another body shot.

I know I know. It's a game and guys just want to have fun. Well as Homer would say to Flanders, "This su-diddly-ucks!"
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

There could have been a better way to use battlefield ninja other than as a regular unit. It would have been a bit more realistic to have them appear from an opponent's ashigaru (or other low-cost unit) as a means of subterfuge; you simply hit a hot-key and an enemy unit comes under your control as this ninja unit (the implication would be that your spies had infiltrated the enemy army en masse.) This would probably work best in campaign mode where you must pay an extra amount of koku and use it maybe once or twice.
    As it stands now, I don't think what we need is another "One of the most powerful units in the game" all over again.

[This message has been edited by solypsist (edited 01-08-2001).]

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

Nelson it is set in the 1200's. Thats why Hojo has most of Japan if not all.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

Originally posted by Nelson-san:
    Quote And while I'm PO'ed, Mongols don't fit in the 16th century even if they are popular. This expansion is all marketing and little history. S:TW meets AoK while history takes yet another body shot.[/QUOTE]And while you're PO'ed, it seems, you're not thinking particularly clearly. (Sorry.)

The Mongol campaign will be set in the 13th century, as is discernible from the strategy map screenshot. There is some slight inaccuracy in using pseudo-Sengoku-era units against them, but I'm a history buff to some extent and find this a perfectly acceptable balance between historical accuracy and gameplay. (I also fins the Ninjas acceptable, by the way: they could be a lot worse than this.) Anyway, mentioning STW's and AoK's historical accuracy in the same sentence is an exaggeration, to say the least.

------------------
    "Crystal clear, / Sharp and bright, / The sacred sword / Allows no opening / For evil to roost."
    - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

I like the idea and i don't see much reson to start whining now it is in there it WILL be in there and nothing you say will change that. most of all i see no way that you will have a ninja rush it has already said that they will be fewer in number and as i take it have you ever had a honour 9 monk win against 16 units of anything so the number of ninja in a unit off set's there attacking power!!

------------------
    Fear not the sword to your front, but the blade at your back.

Clan Shades
    Shades

[This message has been edited by ShadowKill (edited 01-08-2001).]
    Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

Quote Originally posted by ShadowKill:
    Lets discuss these guys.

Small numbers, camoflage, deadly in battle. It would be logic that they are fast and with a morale bonus, or else they will not be able to penetrate to the enemy rear. Ninjas were not known for their battlearmour so I guess they have little of that.

They seem perfect at taking out single units suddenly. So I think their discription of being Daimyo-killers is quite fitting.
    But they would be good at weakning the enemy forces morale (popping up behind them). Killing the archers or the flanking units.

I doubt their effectiveness in head-on direct battle where their small numbers and less than perfect armour will set them at a disadvantage. Also they will not be able to use their camoflage for any good.

I think they will (if created well enough) be the perfect skirmishers and perhaps take over the role of flanking unit from the No-Dachi?
    [/QUOTE]

------------------

Clan Shades
    Shades
    Clan Shades

opps that was not me that wrote that i took it off the forum at the community site sorry

------------------

Clan Shades
    Shades
    Clan Shades