Thread: Plague Carriers: How do you identify them?

Default Plague Carriers: How do you identify them?

Simple question:

Troops and agents that are moved from a city suffering from the plaque continue to carry the plague with them. They will infect any other city they enter and also seem to infect any armies they join.

The problem I have is that I can't see any way of identifying which units/armies have been infected and which haven't as they don't seem to carry the skull emblem on they unit flags.

The result is that the plague in Northern Italy is running rampant as my cohorts spread the infection from army to army and city to city.

Secondary Question: Do units infected with the plague eventually recover?
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Default Re: Plague Carriers: How do you identify them?

a) Double click on the army involved - if the army is plagued, the chappie in charge will have the plague icon, whether he be a family member or captain.

b) Yes
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

When you open the unit card for the army, isn't there a skull in the top right hand corner? - it's only there if the unit has the plague. Or am I halucinating again?

As for your second question, yes, given time, your characters and armies will recover from the plague (if it doesn't kill them all first, of course). I usually try and keep my infected troops/characters in the place they caught the plague until it's run it's course, although plenty of people here seem to favour a dastardly bio-terror approach (which I guess is pretty historical, just not my style).

One thing I'm not sure of though is if it's worth retraining troops with the plague each turn they lose men, or whether just to do it at the end of the plague?

Edit - gah! You beat me to it with your clever and concise post!

Last edited by Zatoichi; 11-23-2004 at 14:57.

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Whenever you get an outbreak of plague read the "death stalks the land" scroll and try to find each of the characters named.

When a settlement gets the plague, you must NOT move anyone in or out of that city until it has been cured (unless you want to spread the love). Troops, characters, and agents inside a city often tend to get cured at the same time as the rest of the city.

Out in the wilderness there is practically no chance they will get cured.

A word or warning Fleets NEVER get cured of the plague, so if you have been moving infected people around your only hope is to disband the fleet or get it sunk by the enemy. (or you can keep it out of the way and use it for bio warfare using spies, but make sure you do not transport anyone using it)
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

In my experience, for captains & admirals you can't really see a skull icon when you just double click it (sorry if I am wrong). I have to use the "list" function. On the center-bottom of the screen, you will see tabs as "Army, City, Agents", like folder titles. Right click on "army" gives you a list of all your armies. Then you can left click any captain and admiral to bring up their own "portrait" which is your faction's flag. Then you can see the skull beside their flag portrait!

I have the same issue as Maltz.

I can tell if an army stack is infected provided that it has a general or agent with it as the skull symbol appears in the corner of their details.

But if the army is led by a Captain and has no agent with it then there seems to be no indication. Thus moving units into a city for retraining can infect the city as can transferring units from stack to stack.

I only realised this when merging two army stacks and suddenly seeing my general become a plague carrier.

As far as I can see the only way of establishing whether an army without a general or agent still has the plague is to move a general or agent into the stack and see if they catch it.

On a secondary question:

If a fleet docks at a port of a city which has the plague do the ships become plague carriers?

Can they infect other cities by docking at their ports?

Can they infect enemy cities by blockading their ports?
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Agree.. The skull icon isn't visible on regular soldier units.. I didn't realize they spread plague. And ships do too? Crap.
    So no one knows how to see soldiers with plague?

I realize this reply is a tiny teeny bit late, but RTW just released on android recently and I've been super addicted. It's so fun to get in a turn on my lunch breaks or wherever I have time to kill. It even snapshot saves in mid battle if you have to stop playing.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

The skull icon isn't visible on regular soldier units
    The only way I've been able to tell is to track the unit stack (your own or an enemy), and see if the total # of men decreases over time
    High Plains Drifter