Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Historical Battles

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Angry Re: Historical Battles

GO IRELAND!

I am Irish, so this is a post that actually reflects my heritage, not like my GO TURKEY! posts........ I would be glad to research the Irish military of the time and find out exactly what sort of units were most commonly used.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Default Re: Historical Battles

I think it's time to open up a discussion here about the Siege of Granada- how best to do it?
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Rusher
    I think it's time to open up a discussion here about the Siege of Granada- how best to do it?
    I read one book, "The Conquest of Granada" some years ago, but it was borrowed by a friend and never returned. What I remember from the book is that during the many campaigns, which all began in the spring with the melting of the snow and clearing of the mountain passes, there was a great deal of unilatateral opporations by the Spanish (at least in the beginning), and a lot of feuds between Muslim leaders (to the extent that at one time it was a 3 way brawl in which 2 Muslim armies fought each other).

The cities were well fortified, the strongest being Granada set on a mountain top and almost impregnable. Muslim armies would fortifiy areas around the city. Battle narratives depicted contests which ended in stalemates most of the time.

In the beginning the armies were equal, with the Spanish having a slight edge beging better armored. Replacements were hard to come by, and the most prudent commanders were hesitant to waste men in needless assaults. In the later campaigns, both sides were reinforced by mercenaries, some for religious reasons, some for adventure and loot (including a company of Engish longbowmen - the captain of which was killed). Gun powder, fire arms, and cannons were in use and became more numerous as the war went on.

I hope this helps. Please remember it's all from memory, so if anyone spots decrepencies please weigh in and correct me.

Thanks, I don't really know about that battle but if you want to confirm what you said with research that would be great!

Thanks for the info!
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin
    Thanks, I don't really know about that battle but if you want to confirm what you said with research that would be great!

Thanks for the info!
    For some reason, research is limited. But I'll see what can do. I'll get back to you later.

Rick

You may wish to view this website:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext02/cgran10.txt

It has the text of Washington Irvings Conquest of Grenada. It's a good read with cognac or whisky.

Rick

a room with a hole in the side for air and food and a computer on the other side.

No it would probably be possible you know the way certain generals have hatred of carthaginians 1+ command just change the words to hatred of englishmen and have it a very easy trait to get and give it to the rebel Irish generals.

But maybe it would be too hard to do or impossible?

But im serious about drunken rage make the mercanaries beserkers and give them super morale with excellent attack and low defence make them only recruitable in Ireland and in small numbers.

and Uesugi Kenshin you said in an earlier post youre american and now you say youre Irish?????
    HELP CITADEL TOTAL WAR USE THE LINK BELOW

CITADEL TOTAL WAR: A modification for Rome Total War

Actually, whether your Irish, European, American, it doesn't matter. We all know the Bush administration is tainted with hatred, death and bigotry. But look on the bright side, every soothsayer and astrologist seems to have "Dubya" dying in office.

I'm sorry. That won't happen again. I got carried away.

I play with many people on the internet, Bush supportes as well. Playing with Bush supporters is a lot more fun, because I beat the regularly.

Sorry again. I know I'm not Cathelic, but it looks like I have a habit.

We should stick together and seek to offer help for this mod. No where else will you find any game company willing to produce such a game.

I was born in America, but most of my family is from Ireland so I am of Irish blood and classify myself as Irish because America is too young a country and my family have only been here for 200 years so there is not a big difference between Irish from Ireland and Irish from America cept the wonderful accent!

I looked up Irish mil. for like 2 hours have no info, so we just have to go on what we already know.

Bush is an idiot, that is all lets not get sidetracked.

I have copied that link into my Wordperfect file, but I cannot have the congac or whiskey with it cause I am too young.....
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Everybody that has lots of research or wants to see the research should get a free e-mail account such as hotmail or gmail beta so that we can send research toi everybody and we do not fiull up tons of space on the threads with research..

Mine is all set up, just take my name and add Citadel@hotmail.com., try to email me when you set yours up and I will reply to make sure you have the right address.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You might want to contact Ranika about the irish units. He might want to give you a hand. Hes done a LOT of research about it already.

As for Granada:

The siege was long and boring. Very high human costs as frozed mountain fighting and climbing when combined with heavy armour and enemies shooting at you is very deadly.

The kings of spain (Castile and Aragon) would come and go to the main camp, usually when the king was present the armies advanced a little more (basically to show their courage and out of fear of being "fired" (the generals of course)). As the kings had many other problems within their kingdoms to settle down, as i said they visited the camp intermitently and the major advances were done by loot-seeking troops rather than planned operations.

The lack of sources is due to the fact that the muslim population in Granada was dispersed among Spain in the next couple of centuries, and MANY of them were burned by the Inquisition. The Royal Archives were crippled by several fires in various buildings in the XVIII and XIX centuries.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Wandering Historian Member eadingas's Avatar
    Llanfairpwll- gwyngyll- gogerych- wyrndrobwll- llantysilio- gogogoch

Is Washington Irving considered a good historic resource? :)
    http://arthursclassicnovels.com/arth.../chrcon10.html
    I'm still not here

Thanks I will pm Ranika and see if he wants to help out!
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Quote Originally Posted by eadingas
    Is Washington Irving considered a good historic resource? :)
    http://arthursclassicnovels.com/arth.../chrcon10.html

Washington Irving was America's first novelist. He was also a historian. What sources were available to him I'm not sure. How accurate were his sources remains a question. If anyone finds a current publication of the conquest of Grenada please let me know. I would like to read it.

Well, it's there on that link...
    I'm still not here

I just got a ton of unit info from Ranika and there is easily enough to make a whole faction or a bunch of unique/merc units. If there is still a free faction Ireland would be a great choice because they would be very hard, they have unique units of every type pretty much, including gunpowder. They would be a great faction for experienced players to use. They would not have historically conquered the world but it would be worth it to add Ireland if there is a free space anywhere. Please tell me there is a free faction........
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

One thing to remember though is that, sorry, but we only have 300 unit spaces, ones that I don't want to be wasting 50 of on Ireland. Maybe 3 Irish units for the Irish rebels and a couple of Irish mercs though.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

It will be hard to choose them, when I go on later to do research I will come up with some reccomendations. 6 units? damn I have like 40 here. Maybe after this is done we can make a seperate campaign map and download if the British Isles? We could use much of the same models and such. Just an idea. Oh well for now it will be MTW and playing this as rebels but only using Ireland.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

I have some reccomendations ready, they are all pretty unique. I will post them later. I would like to know if anyone else has a particular faction/area that they know a lot about and would like to contribute ideas for mercs or unique units. The more research and info the better!
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Hey, I got for Christmas a good book about XIV-XV century wars in Central Europe. It has detailed descriptions of following campaigns:
    - Hussite Wars
    - Turkish conquest of Serbia and northern Balkans (including battle of Varna)
    - Polish and Lithuanian wars with Teutonics after Tannenberg
    All with complete and detailed descriptions of battles, equipment, castles, fortifications, and tactics, with good pictures and drawings. Are you interested in any of that info?
    I'm still not here

Sure if you find anything that we do not seem to know about e-mail it to me by adding citadel@hotmail.com to the end of my screen name and post something about it here. All research is welcome.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

I am going to do some research ton ight and probablyu a lot next weekend, I will be able to do more research then cause finals will be over for better or worse. If anyone has any historical battles that they think are critical I am open to suggestions or tips, you can pm me or email me at the previously given address.
    Thanks!
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

a room with a hole in the side for air and food and a computer on the other side.

one correction your e-mail address is uesugikenshincitadel@hotmail.com
    not uesugi_kenshincitadel@hotmail.com as many people would think it was.

Well, whups. I forgot about that..... Nice catch Saranalos. Wonder if anyone but you will find reason to e-mail me...
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

I dont think so no-one has e-mailed me either except you

Note to self: Popularity in forum mimicks real world popularity, many people talk to me but few are friends..... Conclusion: I am much too strange to be understood by the normal person. Like god....... HOOAH!

Just kidding...... Would be nice but I am too much of an Atheist to consider that even if I was that much of an egotist.

Guess we can just keep on e-mailing each other at random times Saranalos.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

Yep randomization is the only way to survive thats why the germans lost the second world war they were too efficent.
    and you seem to be proclaiming yourself as a minor god. Everyone worship Uesugi Kenshin

What drugs are you on and whewre can I get some?

I think it is called life, it is a rather common but priceless commodity. Most people who lose their supply of it are not very happy and become quite dull...
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

I am an expert on British battles if you need any help PM me any time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast