Thread: Just a precision : Finland / Finnish people / Language

Senior Member Senior Member Draksen's Avatar

Correct me if I'm wrong Anssi,

Finland is not really part of scandinavia.
    The North is the correct word.
    (pohjola - norden)

Finnish people today :
    80 % baltic/germanic
    20 % other (asiatic)

Finnish language today :
    20 % baltic/germanic
    80 % other (Finno-Ugric)

So,
    a Finn looks like a Swedish (almost) who
    speaks an asiatic language.

(Just think about Romania for example :
    they are slaves, but speak a latin-language.)

What I hate the most:

1-discussing politic with ignorant american teens.

2-discussing politic with ignorant british teens.

Draksen u are wrong about romanians; slaves influence is only in a small part of the country and in the history the slaves that lived among the ancient vlach were rapidly asimilated ; only a few words were used at that time froms the slaves language; and their population was to small for really have an influence ; later in the later medium eve more slave influences appeard especially in the clerical matters; so..romanians are latinophon population; we are slaves as much as the spanish are germans it was smthin like this :
    Spanish: kelts ( from pre-roman spain ) which were latinized by the roman conquerors ; after the fall of Rome they have some germanic influence from the migrateurs germanic tribes that rule in the peninsula;
    Romanians:thrax ( the ancient greeks called the tribe that ruled on the actual romanian territory gets and the romans ,dacs -Herodot "Gets are the most honourable and honest from the trax " ); then they were latinized after the roman conquer from 112-115 A.D.;after the fall of Rome some slave tribes lived in actual Romania but they never had an significant influence on the romanian ethnicity or language;saying the romanians are ethnically 80% slaves are like saying that the spanish were 80% germanic;
    the majority of the romanians arent blond/red hair and blue eyes like the slaves;
    excuse please my english ;i hope i didnt make many mistakes

------------------
    Pride and Honour
    Pride and Honour

sorry Yama if I wrote something wrong.
    I must admit : I dont know anything about
    Romania. Sorry once again.

What I hate the most:

no need to apologize Draksen ; nobody was born wise already; greets

------------------
    Pride and Honour
    Pride and Honour

I find no flaw in that summary, Draksen-san. Norden can less mythically be referred to as the Nordic Countries, which basically consists of the Scandinavian Peninsula, Finland, Denmark and the Norwegian Sea islands (Iceland, Faeroes etc.).

With regards to appearance Finns do look a good bit like Scandinavians (ie. Swedes), but then so do many Russians living in the Northwest of Russia. The line between the two phenotypes is pretty thin, with the Finns more or less straddling it.

It might be more appropriate to call the "slaves" the Slavic peoples though. There is always that slight chance of misunderstanding.

------------------
    "Covetousness, anger and foolishness are things to sort out well. When bad things happen in the world, if you look at them comparatively, they are not unrelated to these three things. Looking comparatively at the good things, you will see that they are not excluded from wisdom, humanity and bravery."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

True Anssi-sama, but, for those who really don't know anything about Finland, I just wanted to add this precision.
    -Finnish people are not slavic.
    -Finnish people are not 100% scandinavian.
    -Finnish language is not an indo-european language.

It is strange to define those facts like that, but I have read a lot of things in this forum (and in others) about finnish-germanic things or finnish-slavic things or finnish-asiatic things ....
    How can we say the things how they really are ? Anssi, it's up to you !

(I admit : nothing to do with Japan and/or japanese cinema ...)
    What I hate the most:

or instead of slavic you could say slav multiple of which is slavs , adjective of which is slavonic. but that's just a slav being too precise. BTW Yama how come you think of the slavonic people being in the largest part blond and blue-eyed?

------------------
    Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew
    O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
    Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
    Hirosito Mori

Hirosito the Baptist of the Babbiest Babe Thread.

Gentile or Jew
    O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
    Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

Autocrat Member Vlad The Impaler's Avatar

Hirosito i ll answer couse Yama was my first username but i changed in this as a preparation for M:TW
    about your question, that the historical books told me that they are blond/red hair and blue eyes; i ll do some reaserch and i ll answer u more detailed
    Tough Times Don't Last. Tough People Do. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. [Mark Twain]

Actually a finnish is a finnish, and they look like a finnish. This is because of the founder's effect. "They are supposed to look very much alike even when they are not closely related."

------------------
    "always be thinking"
    I will be Baron of the world.