Thread: Bonsai Murderer Confesses

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

I admit it: I must have a "black thumb" when it comes to these beautiful flora. Every year I go see the stunning bonsai at our local fair, and come home determined to try my own hand.

In 2001, I managed to dispatch 3 of the little buggers in 6 months. I find conflicting care instructions on the web, and the book I bought is obviously useless, though I've read it cover-to-cover several times.

Anyone here been successful husbanding these little trees? What are your favorite references? Or is it an intuitive thing that I just don't get yet? Should I just stick to tomatoes?

Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

You must pick a certain kind of tree to do bonsai. Remember, you arent only castrating it at the roots to stunt its growth, you are also constantly butchering it to give it shape. There are only so many plants that can withstand such treatment. I tried to do some with the local plants in my country (mostly ferns and bifloras), they died real fast. But try your hand with pine trees or any other tree type that grows fast and you'll have a solid "patient".

If there's a japanese temple near you, go visit it, most temples I know of give bonsai classes. If not, they are sure to have their own bonsai trees, you could talk to the person that did them and get tips.

dude, kukri lives in California. somehow i don't think there are Japanese temples on every street corner.

even so, i sure will look like an ass if there are

------------------
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu

well, you know californians.. you gotta take em by the hand

LoL, Tac...ain't it the truth. I'll take your advice and talk to a human.

There are several temples in town, serving our sizable SE Asian community ('Nam, Thai, Cambodian...), but I'd have to go to San Diego or LA to find a Japanese one. May be worth the trip, tho'.

you may also try:
    http://www.absbonsai.org

and check on its links page too. Lots of links to official bonsai clubs all over the world and the US.

Naughty Little Hippy Senior Member Tachikaze's Avatar

Kukri,

The Japanese community in San Diego is pretty dead. However, there is a San Diego/Tijuana Japanese society and a Buddhist temple with Japanese arts classes downtown. There is also a little Japanese bookstore out in Poway that teaches ikebana. They might also teach bonsai. The closest to Escondido is Vista Buddhist Temple in . . . Vista.

There is also a Bonsai Society that meets in Balboa Park occasionally.

Puts down the microphone and exits the tour bus.

------------------
    Asante sana
    Squashed banana
    Wewe nugu
    Mimi apana

Screw luxury; resist convenience.

What a treasure trove you guys are...thanks!

Tac: Who da thunk Toledo would be home to the ABS; that's where we used to sneak off as kids to buy 3.2 beer and fireworks (illegal in Michigan, my old home state).

Tachi: I should have thought of you right away as a 'local' contact for subjects Japanese. Appreciate the tips. I'm on the Poway refer this weekend, then. Oh, and when does the LEGOland tour begin?