Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buddha

who exactly was buddha?

------------------
    know yourself and you will never loss

smillie.james@btopenworld.com
    Well Shogun will be the last Total War game for James unless he gets a PC - monkian

Goats will be the death of you.

Buddha is an Indian Prince. He was born in a rich family in the palace and so he never suffered before. One day he came accross many people who were suffering and he asked himself why? Therefore he left his wife, his wealthiness, his family and went to search for the true answer for why people suffer. On his journey he have face hunger and he meditate under a tree for I think it was 3 days and after he died. He met his enlightment known as Nirvana. People then worshipped him as Buddha. The religion was first introduced into China which was Han Dynasty at that time. After China established the Zen Buddhism and spread it to Korea and after towards Japan.

Hope this helps

Thats not true, but some are. Listen Buddha is a man not Indian but Chinese and he was very fat. He created a religon called Buddhism which is when you die you become an animal. A lot of Asian countries' population worship that religon
    Philip Lee

How to put this politely, Mohawk69-san...

...oh yeah, "I wouldn't go that far."
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

james , tieny , Mohawk69 this could help all of you here are some links concerning buddha/Buddhism :

mcel.pacificu.edu/as/students/vb/History.HTM http://mcel.pacificu.edu/as/students...iddhartha.html http://www.acay.com.au/~silkroad/buddha/

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Mohawk69:
    Thats not true, but some are. Listen Buddha is a man not Indian but Chinese and he was very fat. He created a religon called Buddhism which is when you die you become an animal. A lot of Asian countries' population worship that religon[/QUOTE]

How rude !

------------------
    tootee the goldfish
    ------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

I'll like to see the moderator do something about the rude comment from Mohawk.

------------------
    tootee the goldfish
    ------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Guys guys easy...

U can't blame the man for responding...

If one are not allowed to point out the flaws of the other, then there can be no discussion.

It would sound silly if: "Tienyi, actually you are quite right. I just think that maybe some dosen't correspond excatly, but who cares... Maybe is it the thing with he beeeing fat that lacks, but nevermind. Ohh I think that he also started his own relligion... but I am not certain."

-Get my point... ?

[This message has been edited by Sjakihata Akechi (edited 03-07-2002).]
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

I agree with both sides here. Moderator take that man away he shames us Zen Buddhists by his lack of knowledge about our history.

But also let him have free speech so that others can translate for him the truth about Buddhism so that he may become an understander and not an blind propheciser.

------------------
    Grand Master of
    The Knights Templar
    "non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

[This message has been edited by Toda Nebuchadnezzar (edited 03-07-2002).]

yeah,theres my two honourable friends
    toda nebuchadnezzar and sjakihata akechi!

eeeekkkkk i think some kind of argument is spawning(yess another good word!!)
    Well Shogun will be the last Total War game for James unless he gets a PC - monkian

Quote Originally posted by Mohawk69:
    Thats not true, but some are. Listen Buddha is a man not Indian but Chinese and he was very fat. He created a religon called Buddhism which is when you die you become an animal. A lot of Asian countries' population worship that religon[/QUOTE]

are you trying to be a rude son of a gun!!

Alright then. I was trying to find out if Mohawk69-san is just ignorant or if he's posting nonsense on purpose (à la the demi-legendary TemujinForever, if you recall), but apparently my inability take it seriously is not a general yardstick.

Much as I'd like otherwise, ignorance is not a crime, but Mohawk69 would be strongly advised to apologize to the parties he's offended here through his use of language if he intends to continue posting at this board.

Edit: ...of course assuming he is not Tankdogg's double login. Which could have very serious consequences for both accounts.

I could delete his post, but then again it has been quoted in its full length in this thread not once but twice...

------------------
    "A person who does not want to be struck by the enemy's arrows will have no divine protection. For a man who does not wish to be hit by the arrows of a common soldier, but rather by those of a warrior of fame, there will be the protection for which he has asked."

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 03-07-2002).]
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".

thank you annsi,even i know that was rude.

------------------
    know yur enemy,know yurself and u will never be defeated in 100 battles

poopscoop2@hotmail.com

Naughty Little Hippy Senior Member Tachikaze's Avatar

I don't remember Mohawk's other posts. Is he a limited English speaker? He is repeated many of the misconceptions of Buddhism I have heard, so he may not intend on offense.

The truth is: Buddha is a record company.

------------------
    Lavi: [after watching Allen doing a series of pathetic, bizarre behaviors] You're crazy! You're absolutely crazy!

Allen: They called Einstein crazy . . .

Lavi: Nobody called Einstein crazy.

Allen: Well, they would have if he carried on like this.

Screw luxury; resist convenience.

yeah well calling buddha fat annoys me and its rude

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

Annsi although Iam one who promotes peace and goodwill (after slaughtering my enemies on the field of battle) I must say that Mohawk must be made an example of. He has shamed us as a religion/way of life and has personally insulted me by his comments about what i strongly believe in. But do not close the thread or delete it. keep it open so that others can read and take note of what some in this community consider as funny or right.

------------------
    Grand Master of
    The Knights Templar

Fellas...Pls don't forget about Hotei...a buddhist god of good fortune and abundance..very much like the Hindu god Ganesha, he is usually shown as being quite fat...Many people see this picture and assume that it is the Buddha......

------------------
    Watashiwa Yagyu Jubei desu! Ganbate!
    Watashiwa Yagyu Jubei desu Ganbate

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

Indeed very true Jubei. Although I do not really think about the Buddhist gods so much. But it is true he is pictured as large and many do mistake him for Buddha, but still the comment was unjust.

------------------
    Grand Master of
    The Knights Templar

It is an enigma that even the Buddha would be confused with...how there ever even came to be a religion called buddhism, let alone an entire pantheon of gods and goddesses .....But then He was a Hindu after all...
    Another thing of note... I spent some time in India/Nepal.. I stayed in Kushinagar for about a week and spent time with the monks there....they said that in his old age he loved to eat and in fact it was food that killed him....He had a very bad case of food poisoning and died of the runs.....
    Now don't get offended.....this is coming from monks who take care of his burial grounds.

------------------

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

Jubei anything you say I trust and believe m8.

Yes Buddha was Hindu, but he renounced it when he left his life as a prince and went in search of 'enlightenment' when he saw the suffering of the 'world'.

------------------
    Grand Master of
    The Knights Templar

Todasan,
    Thanks m8...I was trying to get at the fact that his first followers were Hindu...hence the gods and heavens and hells and all....I feel that so many have completley missed Buddhas teachings....Just like Jesus'
    I mean I think he would completely opposed to all of the statue worship and things like that.....

------------------

eat goat (sorry thats just something i say)LOL

very funny thread but useless

All that was said above about Hotei is right on. I wish more people were aware of that. I have a little Hotei, and everyone calls it "Buddha", but it is a god of luck.

I don't think "buddha nature" allows one to be insulted. I think the Buddha would have just laughed to read Mohawk's post, or ignored it. You can't offend a buddha. One who has attained enlightenment is not concerned with such vanity.

I don't believe Buddha should be followed like a god, or even revered. It doesn't even matter whether he existed or not. Many people call anyone who has achieved enlightenment a "buddha". What is important is to learn from the teachings -- or, more accurately -- learn from yourself or your experience. That is what Buddhist monks eventually discover.

Buddhism is a very internal spirituality. It is a personal journey. You can't follow the path while concentrating on external things, like worshipping a historical (or legendary) figure. Sorry to be blunt, but, in my view, anyone who is offended by an unflattering description of the Buddha has not internalized Buddhist teaching.

I don't blame the people above for their reactions to what Mohawk said, but I'm surprised that a Buddhist would be offended.

I think pure Buddhism is a great philosophy that everyone should understand and let influence their lives. But I only feel sorry that Mohawk has misconceptions, not anger towards him. Is such anger a Buddhist trait?

[This message has been edited by Tachikaze (edited 03-09-2002).]

Tachikaze , u just post the best conclusion

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

Ahh obviously some peeps who know what they are talking about, i wonder if u can help me...

I have what i originally thought was a buddha sitting on a table just inside the front door...and whenever i pass him i rub his tummy for good luck. He is depicted as being quite overweight.

Is he Buddha or Hotei ?

Cheers.

heres a question you can answer me 'who was hotie'

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

Rath;

The easy way to tell is: if the statue depicts a figure carrying a cloth or linen sack it is Hotei and if the statue has both hands free it is (probably) Buddha.

Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

Hotei is also depicted with long earlobes, but I don't know if Chinese artists have also used this feature in portrayals of the Buddha. The Japanese concept for the appearance of Hotei may, in fact, be based on the Chinese image of Buddha.

Almost all of the little statues I have seen marketed as Buddha are Hotei.

Hotei is one of the Seven Gods of Luck (Shichifukujin--literally, "the Seven Folk of Fortune"). "Hotei" is his Japanese name; I don't recall his Chinese one.
    http://tx.essortment.com/japanesegods_rjmh.htm

[This message has been edited by Tachikaze (edited 03-09-2002).]

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

I had to look it up, but apparently in Chinese his name is Hotei Chikú which literally translated means "large linen sack"

Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast