Thread: 4th century invasion of Korea

One thing that puzzles me about the Japanese history, is its invasion of Korea in 366. That is well before writing has been introduced. According to the Samurai-Archives, an outpost was even manned until the sixth century. IMHO an overseas military expedition without being able to read and write is quite an accomplishment. What do military experts think about it?

well...the mongols overran most of the known world at the time. They couldnt read or write also.

I would also think that having an outpost overseas would be beneficial to both parties. The Koreans may have been able to sell silks and other goods to the japanese via that outpost.. and the japanese benefitted by that same reason.

I didn't think about the mongols not being able to read and write. They also managed campaigns over large distances and controlling a huge territory. Makes that accomplishment even more extraordinary. The entire affair of logistics and organization of such a campaign, when you can only pass orders per hearsay is amazing to me.

That's because the leader of the tribes is very talented, at first some of his people didn't really trust him, however, because he wanted to prove them wrong, he started conquering neighbour countries, such as China, Russia and after the middle East, although he is talented he did lose to the Tran Dynasty of Annan and was force to sign the treaty of Peaceful Co-existence in 1288. Aother country they lost to the Burmese.

Orders in all areas of the world at that time and for some time to come were generally passed out orally anyway. Writing comes into handy when there is a need to record history and formulate complicated theories and technologies.. it had little use in the military art of the day.

Matt

------------------
    Shogun 2 has arrived! Check it out here.

Quote Originally posted by Khan7:
    Orders in all areas of the world at that time and for some time to come were generally passed out orally anyway. Writing comes into handy when there is a need to record history and formulate complicated theories and technologies.. it had little use in the military art of the day.

Matt

[/QUOTE]

I agree in respect to battle field instructions or tactical maneuvering. Clearly one would not need writing for that, signs would do. However, movements of remote troups (reserves, garrisons of remote provinces, etc.) tend to be given in writing as was planning and execution of logistics.
    The Romans were very good at organizing their troops, as they were spread out over the entire empire. They had an alphabet however and I would imagine, they used it to this end. In Sengoku-Jidai, troop movement instructions were passed on by carriers or pigeons (the Swiss used the pigeons well into the 20th century, it was on television the other day, when they were let go).

Senior Member Senior Member BlackWatch McKenna's Avatar

That invasion is based on evidence found on the "Selma" rock, right?

That big monolith in North Korea/China? Well - the translation that states that Japan invaded Korea comes from Japanese scholars who checked the thing out in the late 1800's.

Anyone know about that?
    // Black

// "Did we win?"

Quote Originally posted by BlackWatch McKenna:
    That invasion is based on evidence found on the "Selma" rock, right?

That big monolith in North Korea/China? Well - the translation that states that Japan invaded Korea comes from Japanese scholars who checked the thing out in the late 1800's.

Anyone know about that?
    [/QUOTE]

The samurai archives state, that the historical evidence of the "Mimana outpost" is shaky. I don't know the "Selma Rock" and therefore if there is any connection to that. Other sources on Japanese history that I know (ex. Manfred Pohl)keep being vague about this entire story.

Historical research in Japan was very strong in the late 19th century/early 20th century and somewhat colored by the political current of this period . It is therefore possible, that the hole thing was made up then.

Senior Member Senior Member BlackWatch McKenna's Avatar

Duh! Its not the Selma stone, its a "Stela", which is a generic term for Monolith.

Here is the online version of the article I recently read in Archeology Magazine.
    http://www.archaeology.org/found.php...ts/letter.html

More than you ever wanted to know on the early days of Japan and who invaded whom and vice versa.
    // Black

// "Did we win?"

Thanks for the link.

RageMonsta

Mongols were known for taking 'friends' along who had talents they didnt have or wished to learn....hmmmm.. I am quite sure they had a written word by the time they took hold of an empire worthy of such a name..even if it wasnt their own written text.

i still feel alot of people only think of the Mongols in terms of 'hack and slash'.. somebody point out to me another time in the middle east when all religions were able to function under one ruler?

dunno where this thread is going...better stop now!

RageMonsta

The Mongol losses that have been mentioned where more to do with logistics than battle failure.....if memory serves.....Mamlukes did on the other hand serve up the Mongols first real kicking.....although Mamlukes were slaves sold by the Mongels originaly from Europe...and trained often in the ways of the Mongol....a tactic they used to beat the master with.....faint/retreat/destroy.... my knowledge is rusty but goto Magyars site and you will find alot of info there. (link on ORG main page)