Thread: No hope for history now.....

Well there is good news and bad news. First the good. There will be an Alexander The Great movie coming out most likely in 2003! The bad news has to do with who is playing Alexander. Its Leonardo DiCaprio! NO!!!!! Poor Alexander is rolling in his grave.
    The Oner Order of Ommisions. http://oooo.freewebspace.com/

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

Actually,

They needed someone who could pull off being a bisexual. In that light it doesn't seem like such a stretch.
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

LOL, Black Ship. Good to hear from you!
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Well if he's in it the gay side of bisexual is going to be extremely well acted, now they need a look alike who can act as the straight one....
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

di caprio reminds me of an onion

Never laugh at the old when they offer counsel,
    Often their words are wise:
    From shriveled skin, from scraggy things

That hand among the hides
    And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

http://asatru.org/havamal.html

They should have cast someone more intimidating to play Alexander, I mean Leonardo Dicaprio? he hardly seems the world conquering type.

Member Member Minamoto Yoritomo's Avatar

Haven't you noticed that world-dominating types tend to be, er, diminutive in stature?

Hitler sure wasn't a Hulk Hogan...
    hmm wait a minute.. no I think 3 minutes will do...

------------------
    Abandon all hope.

------------------
    Abandon all hope.

Whoa it Singlo-Ballo-Mania
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

I reckon he'll do a good job, but it'll probably be as historical as Gladiator...
    Have you seen the fnords?

I wasn't referring to Leo's stature, but instead his soft, pretty boy image. It's hard to imagine him leading an army of grissled veterans through years of campaigning. I mean, he would die from lack of hair gel

If its any consolation, he does look uglier than usual in the previews for Gangs of New York -- although I can't see him as Alexander either.

Senior Member Senior Member Jaguara's Avatar

Couldn't they try at least to get someone who might look even the slightest bit Greek? Oh wait, I forgot...Hollywood blockbuster...nevermind...

Jaguara
    Toda Nebuchadnezzar : Trust Jaguara to come up with the comedy line

"The only thing I am intolerant of is intolerance"

I could be way off, but my image of him, at least when he 'started out' was of a scrawny 18 year old teenager. I don't see why pretty boy dicrapio couldn't do that. I mean, didn't he die at age 33? how grizzled could he have been? This doesn't seem too 'grizzled':

"Alexander knew the Iliad by heart. He loved Homer, and always slept with a copy of the Iliad under his pillow.
    His first teacher was Leonidas, a relative of Olympias. Leonidas instilled in Alexander his ascetic nature for which he became famous during his future campaigns; he lived simply, in a Spartan way, eating and sleeping together with his troops. Leonidas was replaced with Lysimachus, who taught Prince Alexander to play the lyre, and to appreciate the arts"
    "I'm telling you, Kakizaki, there is a man living in my toilet!"
    "I'm sure there is, Tono, now let's go a little lighter on the sake next time, okay?"

- Uesugi Kenshin and Kakizaki Kageie, 1578

Senior Member Senior Member Jaguara's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by CEWest:
    I could be way off, but my image of him, at least when he 'started out' was of a scrawny 18 year old teenager. I don't see why pretty boy dicrapio couldn't do that. I mean, didn't he die at age 33? how grizzled could he have been? This doesn't seem too 'grizzled':
    [/QUOTE]

He's certainly a better choice than Russell Crowe or Arnold Schwartzenegger...but still guys...
    Toda Nebuchadnezzar : Trust Jaguara to come up with the comedy line

"The only thing I am intolerant of is intolerance"

Any film with Dick Aprio in sucks.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Cybernetic Samurai Member TenkiSoratoti's Avatar

daaaah speak not the name of leonardo decaprio

------------------
    "The good fighters of the old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat, and then waited for an oppurtunity to defeat the enemy."
    "The good fighters of the old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat and then waited for an opportunity to defeat the enemy." - Sun Tzu

You mean DiCRAPio?

Don't let one of the world's great conquerors be represented by this schmuck.

------------------
    There's no such thing as overkill, just ensured victory!
    Roma Invicta- Rome The Eternal

There's no such thing as overkill, just ensured victory!

RageMonsta

He may be the right guy.

Alex was young and like hollywood did with Jesus they like that blonde haired image for many a middle eastern /med side person..but

They play their hand too early...they no doubt want us to realise that Alex was homosexual (leo is a bit girlie and fits the gay stereotype..unlike Rock Hudson to name just one)....he tended to marry out of alliances....infact he made his generals marry locals (relationships that never lasted).

But lets get this right...homosexuality did not exist as we know it....it was normal for troops to be 'friendly'....the word gynamsium translates to 'go naked' and the first contests on looks (like miss world etc) were conducted in the greek gyms with ribbons tied to parts of a mans body seen as 'special' (strangely enough a Thai boxers tradition is to tie threads around biceps etc for power and luck...maybe from the greek thing spreading through asia?)...

Women were for having children...men were for erotic encounters...if you get the chance find some ancient greek pottery...it is often dispayed on there....youngmen of the age of puberty (as child molest was an outrage) were expected to be taken 'under the wing' of older men.

We often see the debate about honosexuals in the armed force today....i think the generals expect gay men to start 'batty slapping' each other on the front line...Alexanders father (the true great of the era) had a vanguard elite made up of purely male 'couples'...think of it this way...its harder to run away and leave your love interest in battle to die than just some geezer you know...

But after this little venture into sexual habits of greek warriors....I expect hollywood will have some type of American angle....maybe its a way of beating up some middle eastern people some more...after all 3 million dead due to sanctions in Iraq may not be enough!

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by CEWest:
    in a Spartan way, eating and sleeping together with his troops.[/QUOTE]

Yep, and the Greeks called it a Spartan thing and the Romans a Greek thing. Certain writers of that time referred to it as commerce with boys.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Senior Member Senior Member BlackWatch McKenna's Avatar

Alexander = Blondish...
    http://www.hellenism.net/eng/alexander.htm shows him as Blonde. But, the word they used for "blonde" back then seems to describe anything from light brown to blondish.

Here is a contemporary picture of AlexTgreat http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~murray/clas...nting-alex.jpg

Of course, you should take anything you find on the internet with a grain of salt http://www4.stormfront.org/posterity/Viewpts/atheg.html

// Black

// "Did we win?"

Senior Member Senior Member BlackWatch McKenna's Avatar

I almost forgot to mention: The thought of DiCaprio, Hero of the Titanic, as Alexander the Great ...

... well, that thought makes me wish that Darius had won the first battle - just so we would not have to deal with this issue.
    // Black

// "Did we win?"