Thread: Japanese Masters Get Closer to the Toilet Nirvana

(This falls under the 'culture' subheading of this particular forum)

Japanese Masters Get Closer to the Toilet Nirvana

October 8, 2002
    By JAMES BROOKE

NARA, Japan - Japan's toilet wars started in February, when Matsushita engineers here unveiled a toilet seat equipped with electrodes that send a mild electric charge through the user's buttocks, yielding a digital measurement of
    body-fat ratio.

Unimpressed, engineers from a rival company, Inax, counterattacked in April with a toilet that glows in the dark and whirs up its lid after an infrared sensor detects a human being. When in use, the toilet plays any of six soundtracks, including chirping birds, rushing water, tinkling wind chimes, or the strumming of a traditional Japanese harp.

In a Japanese house, "the only place you can be alone and sit quietly is likely to be the toilet," said Masahiro Iguchi, marketing chief for Inax.

This may be one explanation for the ferocious toilet research going on in Japan. This is a nation famously addicted to gadgetry of any variety, and the addiction
    clearly extends to the bathroom. Another factor stimulating toilet research is the fact that Japan's population is
    peaking and the number of households is expected to start declining by the end of the decade. Some money can be made
    by exporting toilets to countries with comparatively primitive toilet cultures, like China and Vietnam. But in Japan the real sales growth will be found by adding exotic toilet features.

Matsushita, for example, introduced in May a $3,000 throne
    that not only greets a user by flipping its lid, but also
    by blasting its twin air nozzles - air-conditioning in the
    summer, heat in the winter. Patting this Cadillac of
    toilets, Hiroyuki Matsui, chief engineer here, said, "You
    can bring a bathroom temperature down by 7 degrees Celsius
    in 30 seconds."

Then in June, Toto, Japan's toilet giant, came out with WellyouII, a toilet that automatically measures the user's
    urine sugar levels by making a collection with a little spoon held by a retractable, mechanical arm.

Whether a home medical center or a Zen space for meditation, the toilet of the future will probably emerge from laboratories like the ones here at the Matsushita Electric Industrial Company - workshops so secretive and competitive that a visiting reporter and photographer were not allowed inside.

Americans should prepare for more than that simple 20th-century choice: to flush or not to flush. Users of the Matsushita toilet can program it to pre-heat or pre-cool a bathroom at a specific time at a set temperature. For owners who might not be so regular, this toilet allows users to set the temperature and pressure of a water jet spray used to wash and massage the buttocks, an enormously popular feature in Japan.

Toilet jet sprays, which sometimes confuse foreign visitors with disastrous results, are now in nearly half of Japanese homes, a rate higher than that of personal computers.

To some, this is a sign of a nation gone perilously soft. They worry that the cosseted Japanese youths of the future,
    sitting dreamily on air conditioned thrones, will be no match for their squat-toilet neighbors - the worker bees of industrial China or the spartan soldiers of North Korea.

Hideki Nishioka, a 90-year-old retired professor who chairs the Japan Toilet Association, a private group, says he
    always recommends that new schools in Japan contain "at least one or two of the old-style squat toilets."

But they increasingly look like relics. Talking toilets are on the horizon. Equipped with microchips, these models would go beyond music, greeting each user with a
    personalized message, perhaps a recorded word of encouragement from Mom or a kindergarten teacher. In return, people will soon be able give their toilets simple
    verbal commands.

"The voice sensor - `open sesame' and the lid opens - that will be on the market in two years," predicted Ryosuke
    Hayashi, manager of product engineering for Toto, a company
    that holds 60 percent of Japan's commode market. "It really
    is not difficult to make it responsive to a human voice. If
    you tell the machine, `I want hotter water,' or `I want
    stronger spray pressure,' the machine will automatically
    respond."

Attacking a perennial issue, Toto sells a deodorizing
    toilet that "chemically neutralizes odor." Inax sells
    bathroom tiles billed as "odor absorbing."

But in a country with the demographics of Florida, the real
    growth will be medical toilets linked to the Internet.

"You may think a toilet is just a toilet, but we would like
    to make a toilet a home health measuring center," Mr.
    Matsui, the Matsushita engineer, said in a lecture here in
    Nara, near Osaka. "We are going to install in a toilet
    devices to measure weight, fat, blood pressure, heart beat,
    urine sugar, albumin and blood in urine."

The results would be sent from the toilet to a doctor by an
    Internet-capable cellular phone built into the toilet.
    Through long-distance monitoring, doctors could chart a
    person's physical well-being.

"We will have this within five years or so," said Harry
    Terai, director of home appliances research for Matsushita.

With nursing homes largely full in Japan, the number of
    older people under home care is rising fast, jumping by
    nearly one quarter just last year.

"In Japan, most people see the doctor after they become
    ill," said Hironori Yamazaki, a Toto engineer. "With an eye
    to our demographic change, we are setting out to make the
    toilet a space for the early discovery of disease."

But some civil libertarians are having nightmares about
    "smart toilets" running amok, e-mailing highly personal
    information hither and yon. There are also Big Brother
    nightmares about master computers monitoring millions of
    bowel movements, checking around the clock to see who is
    constipated, who is not eating his peas and who is drinking
    too much.

"I assume the records that come out of my toilet will have
    the same degree of protection as records that are generated
    when I take a medical exam," said Lawrence Repeta, a
    director of the Japan Civil Liberties Union. "There will be
    police investigators who see this as a great tool to find
    people who use illegal substances."
    "I'm telling you, Kakizaki, there is a man living in my toilet!"
    "I'm sure there is, Tono, now let's go a little lighter on the sake next time, okay?"

- Uesugi Kenshin and Kakizaki Kageie, 1578

Having fallen in love with Japanese plumbing during my visit there this summer, I especially welcome the a/c function as a much needed feature!! There's nothing quite so debilitating as a swelteringly hot and humid toilet on an equally hot and humid Japanese summer's day :-)

And as for the jet spray..hehehe...let's just say they can be quite addictive..hehehe
    Not born, not destroyed,
    Not stained, not pure,
    Without loss, without gain.