Thread: New Game Concept

Hi,

I am not sure this is the right place, but please read the whole post and I am sure you can figure why I posted it here.

My idea is that a small (or big) group of people arrange some somewhat historical and realistic battles online. A brilliant example could be the viking era, where I play as the danes and one play as the English or French. I select babarian units (i.e. vikings, fanatics, militia etc and boost their honour), my opponent select MAA and light cav with low honour. Then the Danes will win, maybe, like in history, and it will be fun to watch. Endless of these scenarios can be created, all it takes is a little background research and action!
    Please understand this is NOT, and I repeat, NOT about winning, it is about trying to recreate battles as realistic as possible so one can understand the tactics implied in these times better. This does also excludes ALL form of power play.

I have had this idea a small week, and yesterday I met lunchbox and a mate of his and we played a scenario gettysburg with 2 units of peasants 1 cav and the rest was gunpowder units. It could have been fun, except someone miss understood the rules and used much cav and swiss armoured pikemen.

If I am not specific enough feel to ask any questions in this thread, and if you are interested, please reply so that we can gather a small (or big) group to play this new concept.

Thanks for reading..

------------------
    *bows* - Power to the Sultan!

Clan Seljuk

[This message has been edited by Sjakihata Akechi (edited 10-08-2002).]
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Senior Member Senior Member Hakonarson's Avatar

Sounds like fun - Gettysburg with Swiss Pike huh?!! lol

shame we'er on opposite sides of the world and the lag to me is usually over 500 so I've never bothered with real time game servers much!

but perhaps this can be a push for a decent battle editor in the SP game??!!

hi m8, yep count me in i am english but don't know alot about the history of battles. there are many clubs in the uk that recreate battles for real and there great. the gettysburg game was great in a 1 v with a guy called insaneadder i think (inventor of the concept)and it worked very well. neopolean era is also a possible choice. testing might be needed but i have found tactics for this kinda game that works to a certain degree.
    Sir Lunch of Wulfrun

hi there, i think the other guy who thought up the idea was called insaneadder? i think not sure. anyway count me in sounds great the gettysburg game was good we played a 1v1 and it worked very well, you could use diffrent nations for this era also and call it neopolionics (sorry about spelling) Trouble is i ain't hot on history. testing might be needed and i think cannons lag the game but if connections are good then it should work ok. no music or effects in mp games are needed to cut down any lag so i hope noobs see this and adjust there settings
    and that game we played the other day was a epic game, it's nice to see people playing this game like chess rather then like command & conqure.
    Sir Lunch of Wulfrun

OOOPPS DOUBLE POST sorry! thought something was wrong

[This message has been edited by lunchbox (edited 10-09-2002).]