Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: General

Default Re: General

hoggy you are amazing I honestly dont know how you turn out such beautiful models...
    I've noticed how much you've progressed over the past few months and Ive been wondering, are you nearing a beta release or maybe, just maybe, a full release anytime soon?

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

dark_shadow - Vietnam faction sounds good. Might possibly add them at a later date but for now we're just concentrating on the current set up. Once we've done a release with those factions we may add more.

soibean - I think a release is still a long way off. There are still alot of units to be built and we'd like to release something reasonably together rather than something which will disappoint. We'll continue to post progress though and keep everybody up to date and hopefully that will keep people interested while we progress.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Hey, I though of a unit you could do: Firework men.

Have you seen the thread where they worked out how to make flaming javelins? The flame appears at the base of the javelin, making it look like a rocket. You could make a new model for a firework as a javelin, make it really long ranged, add the fire to then end, give it an area of effect, and there you go, a firework unit for the Chinese which burns the enemy.

Maybe they could have one or two fireworks only per man?

i hadnt seen that. could you direct me/us to that. i like to see how they did that. thanks.

Blue Lotus Total War
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Byzantium Total War

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

It looks pretty cool.

thats awesome. that would be a fun unit.

Blue Lotus Total War
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Byzantium Total War

i'm just a lurker of this mod, so i don't know if this was explained before, but i was looking at the screenshots, and thought that the japanese swords (and the chinese sabres) aren't really "curved" enough. is there a reason for this?

hey hoggy. Im not sure youve seen this already or if it affects you too much but i figured i should post it regardless.

Sprite Generator

yep we've seen it. but thanks for the heads up. and we will definately be using it.
    EDIT: ive just created the new sprites for the akagi clan. its exciting to see the units remane the same color at a distance.
    Last edited by blindfaithnogod; 03-02-2005 at 00:59.

Blue Lotus Total War
    Byzantium Total War

Quote Originally Posted by hoggy
    dark_shadow - Vietnam faction sounds good. Might possibly add them at a later date but for now we're just concentrating on the current set up. Once we've done a release with those factions we may add more.

soibean - I think a release is still a long way off. There are still alot of units to be built and we'd like to release something reasonably together rather than something which will disappoint. We'll continue to post progress though and keep everybody up to date and hopefully that will keep people interested while we progress.
    cool....!!!! If u want, i could help out with research for them once u decide to create the faction...

as always, great work and keep it up!

cheers, dark_shadow89

Moved: sorry Combine, just trying not to create too many new threads if possible

Combine Soldier Posted:

It pretty obvious what this thread is about. I decided not to bother the devs with PM's, as you guys probably get a million, and will see the suggestion just as well here.

This mod has one HUGE thing going for it, not being restricted by realism. Most importantly, terrain. Im not sure how restricted you guys are as far as map making(battle maps) but this is a good opportunity to make some interesting maps to go with the fantasy theme.

I want to see more interesting maps than in RTW. I want to see hills, trees, fog, rain and stuff more often. But more specifically, I want to see interesting architechture.

Things like huge mountain ranges, flanked by other mountains or coasts which create a natural bottle neck. Think bridge battle, but without the birdge. Stuff like that. More interesting cities, like MTW and STW. Hill cities, instead of always being on flat ground.

The posibilities are endless. I want to recreate thermopylae style battles without always having to choose a bland flat bridge as the closest thing.
    Massive impassible forests, with tight spots in the middle. Forrest on hills, with heavy rain. Anything but the boring flatlad, or hilly land with no trees, or trees with no hills. Maps in RTW bore the hell out of me.

These are just suggestions, obviously anything can be done because the mod is not historically based. Like I said, I dont know what restrictions you guys fac as far as mapping, but I would reallly like to see something that inspires me, or challenges my army when I deploy them. I want thermopylae.

By no mean are they the only posibilities, just ideas. The could be coasts littered with dead trees or black forests for demon lands. Hilly forest filled lands with tight spots for human nations. land that have villages as eye candy instead of to fight over. Peasent houses.

Anyway, enough ranting, I think I have desribed what im talking about, interesting maps, full stop. Keep up the good work hoggy, loving it. Lets here it for RTW, moddability, and the guys making it happen.

A lot of good ideas there Combine. Battlefields are derived from the location of armies on the strategic map but we have tried to set up passes and bottlenecks etc. We'll hopefully be editting all the battle models to suit the game ie the city, walls etc but will always be constrained by the game engine (no bad thing). It would definitely be good to do a few custom environments in thermopylae style for custom battles.

Are you planning on creating any "historical" battles? Or am i thinking too far ahead.

I agree. Rome had plenty of plains battles. On top of what you mentioned Hoggy, I'd like to see some villages. I mean the major cities aren't the only inhabited places around. They'd be deserted, so maybe even show that they were raided by the Demons. Villagers with spears in their bellies, their heads removed and the like would be great set pieces.

Just a few thoughts

1 if the demons are this all powerful team that are very hard to fight and have a great starting possision, don't you think that there should be some disadvantage to playing as them? this may have already been mentioned, but it just came to mind. maybe like having rebelous population?

2 would it be possible to make custom strat map terain for the demons? like maybe lakes and rivers of fire. just an idea.

3 i may have missed it, but are the objectives gonna be like the same 50 teratories, or will you guys make your own ones?

great work btw

1. sounds like a good idea. we havent really concentrated to much effort on the gameplay yet. mostly weve just been working to change the appearance of the game. but we are definately open to new ideas, and suggestions.

2. i think it would be possible.

3. right now i dont think you change that as of now. maybe with an expansion......................

Blue Lotus Total War
    Byzantium Total War

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

got a good idea

I Think the deamon horde should have wraith(gnost) and cultist's(sort of like a monk only is very evil and worships evil)
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

i think a disavangtage for the deamon horde should be

A VERY rebelious pop (this should the deamon horde attain a seemingly instant victory)

They have a extra resorce blood/souls wicth they attain throw battle and not taxes and goes down every turn but increases by 1 for every kill and units will start to die if you don't have anoth blood / souls to support them (cultist don't need souls but they are a bit expensive and if you disband the number units don't go the population of the city they increase how much souls/blood you have)

they should come to a disavantage when fighting monks (unless they unit they monks are fighting are cultist)

please listen to the advise
    keep up the good work

Just your average dragoon Member DragoonXXIV's Avatar

I think the rebellious pop isn't too hard, if you have a massive culture penalty and also having the units cause unrest like barbarians in non-barbarian cities. However once the city eventually becomes demon, it will be docile like the rest which sounds 'bout right. However this will also mean that demons will be a tough nut to convert back.

ok take out the rebelious population but look at the other two ideas (number 2 and 3) what you make of those??

Abokasee:
    Hoggy already made a wraith unit.

When Demons conquer a city their only choices should be exterminate or enslave. If humans conquer a demon city their only choice should be extermination. This will lead to a difficulty in expansion because suddenly you cant produce elite units on the front lines and you cant retrain the elite units you already have but the other faction can. This will cause large tactical problems as you progress further into enemy territory because powerful units will be worn down and cant be replaced and supply lines will become long and cumbersome.

It would also be perfect if all the buildings in the captured town must be destroyed as well or at least become unusable. This of course will also only happen in human vs demon and not human vs human.

Demons should also be able to recruit human mercenaries as normal. There are always evil men in the world.

So What About The Idea Of "souls" (number 2)

Shifty, the problem with your idea is first of all i think all three options available are hard-coded, secondly that would only be a problem for humans, even so if the high level buildings are there you can still train/re-train high level units. Remember exterminate only removes 3/4 of the pop., not all of it. However i' not sure but i think it might be possible to have it so human buildings can only train human troops, and demon buildings can only train demon troops. However don't quote me on this.

Right. Sorry about the confusion but i meant to put the part about buildings being unusable at the top. Thats why elite units wouldnt be able to be retrained or built (not because of low population).

Also i think that perhaps one or two of the elite and mroe specialized units from each faction should only be able to be built in the home provinces.

Maybe have a building that the demons need for all units (hellish portal, soul thingy, come on people you're creative) and one for humans (monestary, shrine, you get the idea). Give them long buildtimes to represent either the 'blighting' or 'un-blighting' of the city. Just an idea
    Sometimes I slumber on a bed of roses
    Sometimes I crash in the weeds
    One day a bowl full of cherries
    One night I'm suckin' on lemons and spittin' out the seeds
    -Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Lemons

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob
    Maybe have a building that the demons need for all units (hellish portal, soul thingy, come on people you're creative) and one for humans (monestary, shrine, you get the idea). Give them long buildtimes to represent either the 'blighting' or 'un-blighting' of the city. Just an idea

Although that helps speed up late game expansion (as opposed to rebuilding the entire military tech tree) it would severely stunt early game expansion. Having to wait three to four turns to use (and then improve) each new province you capture can seriously delay your ealry game expansion. Although this could be avoided by including this base building in the neighboring rebel provinces from the start. Yes i think if you did that youd get the best of both worlds. Although i think there should still be a larger setback for late game expansion. Perhaps you must a build a "greater hell portal" (demons) in addition to the "hell portal" to get access to the more advanced units.

Again if a city is taken by either side then these base buildings will be destroyed automatically

On a side note the rebel provinces surrounding the demon homeprovinces should be rebel demons.

The real problem with this is R:TW's abstraction of unit construction. I love R:TW and think it's a great game but it is no where close to realistic in terms of strategic decisions (the tactical aspect is closer to realistic but still has a lot of abstraction). Using the R:TW engine i'm pretty sure that the idea of 'blightening' or 'un-blightening' provinces is impossible.

EDIT: What i'm trying to say, is that if you make a mod of a game you have to keep yourself confined within the logical and computational abstractions and limitations imposed in the game. I.E. You can't convert the Dawn of War into Warcraft 3 or even R:TW into M:TW.
    Last edited by DragoonXXIV; 05-04-2005 at 02:15.

I think there should a page with all of the screenshots on it so that people can see everything that youve all done so far. I know i would really like that and i think most everyone else would too. If you dont have the time then drop me a pm with the urls to the screenshots and ill make the thread. Ill even throw in some unit descriptions and speculation and anything else youd want me to.

I like this idea Shifty but I'm not sure about making another screenshot thread. Perhaps we could make it part of the army list thread with cropped screengrabs of individual units next to their description? bit of a big job though there are over 65 units done so far with another 30 or so to go.

I have an old angelfire account i could use . . .

Do you still have the screenshots of your older units?
    Last edited by shifty157; 05-09-2005 at 22:53.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast