Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: General

Default Re: General

Quote Originally Posted by shifty157
    I just had an interesting idea hoggy. Have the 'peasant' unit for each faction take 0 turns to build. That way you can train as many peasants as you want in just 1 turn. This would make for interesting tacticle desicion. Whats more people might actually consider training them. Just for the simple fact that you could essentially mobilize the entire population of a city in 1 turn...
    But remember that the enemy would do the same, making it a large peasant versus peasant war.
    "Winner of the 1st "Shamble's Total War Tournament,
    with 0 losses to his name.
    Hunkin Elvis
    "

-Shambles

Default Ideas

Hunkin Elvis
    "

-Shambles

Default More Ideas

Last edited by HunkinElvis; 05-21-2005 at 06:13.
    Hunkin Elvis
    "

-Shambles

Default Exorcist

The exorcist could raise your army's morale against demons.

Hunkin Elvis
    "

-Shambles

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

GiantMonkeyman posted this, hope you don't mind I've moved it to the General thread. I'm trying to keep this forum reasonably trim so it's easy for everyone to find stuff.:

will there be any region specific units? for example in r:tw there was spartan hoplites and now RTR is doing a whole zone of recruitment thing

i was thinking maybe a similar thing could be done in blue lotus for example monks can only build there best units on 'monk' island and on the mainland they make levies? or something like that
    also the japanese could make ninja only in their specified areas making it a good way to cut back on ninja but still allow them
    and another: all factions can only build their major units in their original provnces this will make the factions even more unique and stop fast spreading like in r:tw where i just took all of greece in 10 years (as brutii (this made me look for a new mod in the first place ))
    what do u think?

GMM'
    -
    The idea sounds good will have to do some testing once we've got it up and running. - hoggy

KingClas wrote this:

Hi
    I wonder if there is any fations which still need to have units thought upp and/or if mercanaries are decided. I can join the team and come upp with ideas of units. Also i can ofcorce do the same with buildings. I can however do no editing.

/Clas

Hi King Clas, We're pretty much ok for factions, unit types etc. (Check out the Army List thread) but many thanks for the offer.

note: I'm going to move this thread to 'General' if you don't mind just to keep things tidy.

Son of a Star Member Bar Kochba's Avatar

when will this mod be finished
    "It is not so much that we need to be taken out of exile. It is that the exile must be taken out of us."- Lubavitcher Rebbe

"Its a great mitzva to be happy always" Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

We want moshiach now!!

runes wrote:

curious: is it possible to make a unit (consantly) carry the plague. I've tried a few times in vanilla to use some form of biological warfare, taking spies/diplomats from infected cities and send them into enemy cities. Mostly just for kicks, but i wonder of it's at all possible to have a permanently plague-bearing unit?

(Or, alternately, how about a permanantly plague-bearing city, that just churns out infected units)

- possibly. we could give it a go. Not sure how it would work gameplay wise though if the demon armies were constantly plagued.
    ps. I've moved this to the General thread for general questions, cheers - hoggy

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

just a thought for later on.

turn the zombie troops into zone of recruitment troops recruitable only in territories of their culture. for example the undead samurai and zombie ashigaru would be recruitable only in japanese territories. then also make zombie troops to be recruitable in the territories of other factions. (chinese- zombie bamboo spearmen/undead heavey spearmen; indian- zombie peasants/undead golden swordsmen; etc.)

granted itd take more work but i think itd add more flavor to the mod.
    Last edited by shifty157; 05-29-2005 at 16:44.

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

it is easy to do area specific recruitment...... i have been doing a whole host of stuff to my carthaginian army to allow them to have different auxillias from different places eg gallic units, iberian units, african units and general auxillias

i have gotten quite good at editing text files now so if you need help???

(moved) Greek Fire wrote :

Recently I read a book (ten thousand miles without a cloud, by sun shuyun) about a Chinese monk called Xuanzang, who in 630 AD who made an epic journey from China to India by skirting round the himalayas and travelling through modern day afghanistan.

He does this to obtain copies of the ancient sutras of the Indians, which he believes will help him to obtain enlightenment.
    He has lots of adventures, including bandit attacks, his followers being wiped out by an avalanche while crossing the tien shan, and one desert king being so impressed with his wisdom he tries to force Xuanzang to marry his beautiful daughter.

I have no idea why this hasn't been made into a Hollywood movie, especially with so much interest in the east at the moment.

Heres the historical story of his adventures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xuanzang

But the Chinese also made a famous legend about his quest. In this version, Xuanzang is called to India by the Bodhisattva Guan Yin to obtain sutras not available in China. He is accompanied on this quest by The Monkey King Sun Wukong, the pig-monster Zhu Wuneng (豬悟能), and the half water demon Sha Wujing (沙悟淨) - all of whom have agreed to help him along the way as an atonement for past sins. His horse that Xuanzang rides is itself a dragon prince.

Here's the story of the legend.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclo...ney-to-the-West

I dunno, I'm sure the mod team already know about all this stuff, but apart from the jaw-dropping screenshots thread, this board seems a little quiet, so I thought I'd beef it up with a bit of Chinese history/mythology

There is a picture of Sun Wukong here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...503#post811503
    Hunkin Elvis
    "

-Shambles

there used to be a tv series that ran here in England with was dubbed from japanese (i believe) all about the monkey king, Pigsy and Sandy . Fantastic stuff. Although I think they called the monk Tripitaka?
    here's a link to one site:
    http://www.monkeyheaven.com/
    Last edited by hoggy; 06-19-2005 at 12:52.

Default Re: Demon Faction

Just some thoughts concerning the nature of the demon faction I will toss into the mix- probably of no use (clearly the mod team know what they are doin') but can't do any harm, right?
    My impressions of Asian mythology and religions are that there is much less of an emphasis on, perhaps even no concept of, pure Good and Evil as opposed to the monotheistic West and Middle East. Perhaps more similar to Greek mythology... So gods, demi-gods, demons, humans and animals, with no one group or individual having a monopoly on good or evil. Rather all of them are in state of flux, partaking of those qualities in greater or lesser degrees from day to day. So demons might be bad, nasty, mischievous, cruel, anti-human, but probably not Eeeeville (crash of thunder). And the Demon Realm would not equal Hell. From a practical, mod standpoint that could be very good: it would seem perfectly logical to me if the demon faction allied itself with a human faction against another human faction. Whereas I believe the METW mod team might be having trouble with Good factions allying themselves with Evil factions in the SP campaign, etc., certainly in the Beta anyway, which still rocks. For all the above reasons I am really looking forward to playing the demon faction (man, I'm looking forward to this mod!)...
    I'm also really looking forward to a specific custom battle: "Noooo, all the Ashigaru whom I heartlessly sent to their deaths in STW have come back to have their revenge!"

That ties in closely with the way we see the demon faction in BL. The demons themselves are not naturally evil or good. They have been summoned and ensnared for 'evil' purposes by stronger demons. A lot of the demon types; kappa, rokurokubi etc are more mischievious than evil and would certainly never combine to fight in unit strength without being controlled. Certain units like the dragons are controlled totally under binding. As it is, the demons can ally with whoever they like and demon units are available as mercenaries in certain areas to all factions. It is up to the player to choose their side as in RTW but the demon army is the biggest and most aggressive threat on the map.

1.) Who are the team and what do they do?

I like the idea of the deamons being neutral. If it were me, I would of made them either come to take back 'their' world which they lost in a great war some years ago or they were tricked by some force and were turned against every one.

I love this mod, I just wished I had some skills to help but I am useless as I work but as a conceptual designer (eg, discuss looks of units and try to get them to look their absolute best).

Wow, hoggy, that all sounds great to me! The incongruousness of more solitary creatures like kappa banding together into cohesive units hadn't even occurred to me: the concept of them being summoned and controlled by more powerful demons, with their own agendas, is perfect. Regional demons also being available for summoning / hire by human factions will also be very cool. Perhaps kappa can be paid with cucumber! I believe that is how cucumber sushi (kappa maki) got its name, cucumber traditionally being left as an offering on the edge of marshes or wherever it is that kappa hang out, to mollify them! I don't generally like to play the strongest faction, but for Blue Lotus I will definitely make an exception for the first campaign at least.

I am sitting and listening to Huun Hur Tu (mongolian (mostly tuvan) folk/traditional music) and came to wonder about the progress of the music and sounds to this mod. Any music done? If so, could you (Big John?) please give us a little teaser clip to listen to. Link it to this forum. Would be really nice.
    Last edited by Kageka; 07-01-2005 at 21:44.

Ah music.

This is the only clip of Korean music that I can find so far.

http://www.geomungo.com/kor/main/media/chulgang.wma

The individual is playing a Geomungo, an instrument said to have been invented in Goguryeo. It's a type of zither.

I found a great site for Korean music, but there is some modern music mixed in there.

http://203.252.231.26/

Anything under these titles should be more traditional.

Our Favorite Music Series
    Seoul Saeul Kayagum Trio
    Sinawi Music of Korea - Farmer's Jazz
    Hwang, UiJong
    JongNongAkHoe
    Arirang - the Song of Thounsand Years

Here are some early Chosun era warriors. I found them at http://cafe.daum.net/shogun.

mace

Last edited by HunkinElvis; 07-15-2005 at 18:17.
    Hunkin Elvis
    "

-Shambles

Wow...nice pictures..

I'm not familiar with that kind of armour style though.

What era is it from?

I want to guess Goryeo..but I'm not sure at all.
    Last edited by Gubook Janggoon; 07-15-2005 at 21:26.

What you could do to make this mod exciting is to make a more story oriented campaign. Like;
    In the beginning all of the human factions live in peace with each other, but are attacked by demons(a lesser demon faction) all the time.The monks have warned all of the factions that a great treath has arisen, a far worse demon faction, but the monks have given all the factions different messages to make them turn on each other, because the truth is that the monks control the demons and want to rule the orient themselves. for example, the chinese are told to get the head of the indian kalif and the japanese emperor. By doing this the chinese will be ignored by the demons(not really).
    The goal of the monks is to get the demons to conquer three shrines which will realive the gods.

I know its not a original plot, but you get my point. To make a more story driven campaign. I don`t know if this is possible at all, and it is surely damn hard to make it work good, but it would be cool.
    Maybe you can do it when BI comes, you know, making different victory conditions.You also have to have events, such as marius reform.

Of course you have to have an original total war campaign included.

Creative and original mod by the way, looking forward to playing it.

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

Whats the latest on other areas of the mod besides the units? Im assuming Blindfaithnogod and Sykotykrampage are still making progress?

well i've been busy implamenting all the great stuff hoggy is making. i've been a little busy with real life lately as well. sykotyk has been working on the 2d art for most of the buildings. he has just gone on vacation. so you may not hear from him for almost a month.

Blue Lotus Total War
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Byzantium Total War

Hey guys. I just registered here solely because of this mod, so keep up the good work.

Anyway, I was wondering how agents will be implemented. Will the Demon faction have access to diplomats? IMO diplomacy should be completely unavailable to them. The whole idea of signing a peace agreement or bribing a horde of evil hellspawn just seems weird to me. Oh and sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

BTW If I would love to see this mod succeed and if I could help in anyway, I will. I havent got any modding experience but I could write faction/unit/building descriptions, etc.

Thanks
    de norf
    If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Hi Hoggy,
    Just wondering are you the tutor instructing on model animation at the TMWA? The site for helping people learn how to mod, thats linked with TWC I think. Just joined yesterday :) learning how to script.

If so could I join your class and which programs would I need?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but the threads are very big at this site :O

Anyway, excellent work, Blue Lotus looks a treat.

Thanks for your time :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Check out Shogun : Total War Mod for RTW in development! >>> http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/fo...p?showforum=97

no, sorry, not sure where you heard that. I'm sure whoever is will know what they're doing though, it's an excellent project.

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

hoggy will you be implementing an AOR type system in blue lotus or will you keep it simple? if you are i could help....

quick question,

what is the victory condition going to be in Blue Lotus? in vanilla, it was 50 provinces + rome. is BL going to be like capture the monk island + certain # of provinces? or is it total domination of asia or something...?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast