Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Army Lists

Default Re: Army Lists

Just in case you decide to add the rocket launchers (Shingijeon Hwacha) for the Koreans, I found a video of one of these babies at work.

http://www.arrow.or.kr/chi/../htm/data/wmv/singijun.wmv

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

I've updated the Korean/Choson faction armylist in post #6 of this thread with new concept art too. Has anyone got any better names for these Korean units? Something drawn from history or mythology of Korea?

Well I have been fishing around the net, I have found some pretty decent names of famous people, mythology and real life.

Shin (spirit, god, divine, supernatural)

Korean Genre Shinhwa, Cheonseol, Mindam

Shinhwa are the gods who live in the heavens and more or less rule over the earth.

(Don't know anything about the other two sorry ...anyone?)

Taoists, the Followers of the Way, known as tosa and shinseon. Tosa ("practitioner of the Way") are humans noted for superhuman skills obtained through study of the Way. Some have, for example, the ability to run long distances in a short period of time.

Shinseon ("divine hermits"), on the other hand, live to extremely old age through ascetic mountain living and practicing of the Way.

Here are some famous mythological names that you could use also;

• Hanle-nim -The Heavenly Emperor, Ruler of Heaven and Earth.
    • OwgHoangSangJoe - Jade Yellow Emperor
    • Dal(soon)-nim -The moon, sister of the sun.
    • Hae(sik)-nim -The sun brother of the moon.
    • Chonha Dae Changgun -Village Guardian & General under Heaven husband of-
    • Chiha Yo Changgun -Village Guardian & General of the Underworld.
    • Sanshilyong/Sanshin -The God of The Mountains
    • Yongwang -The Dragon King of the seas
    • Mago, the most famous one of the giants, who became the island of Cheju
    • Hwanin -The Heavenly initiator a title of 7 rulers on earth.
    • Hwanung -The son of Heaven & dynasty of rulers in Greater Mongolia.
    • Ungnyo -The Bear who became a woman & mother of Tangun.
    • Tangun son of Hwanung -The first Korean Emperor the first Korean dynasty.
    • Sonyo -Daughters of Heaven
    • Kyonu & Jingyo who weep the summer rainy season
    • JowsSyngSaJa - Angels of Death
    • Chi Woo - The Korean pendant to Chi You .

Also I found out that I think you may be spelling Choson wrong (I think it's Choseon), im not sure if that was what you were going for but I belive this is the correct spelling, it doesnt bother me in the slightest, I think your a genious, but there may be some very keen-eyed Korean people out there! (you never know)

...hope this may help!
    Do not think...feeeeeeeeeel, it is like a finger pointing up at the moon...DO NOT stare at the finger, or you will miss alllllll the heavenly beauty!
    Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon

The new spelling's actually Joseon.

The two new yellow units you made are actually Goryeo style infantry, so it would probably be better to call them Goryeo "Whatever". I don't know any appropriate names for them though. :T

.................................................................................................... .....................................

Good job, Morray. Thanks for finding those.

.................................................................................................... .....................................

Here is a website that show videos of a Korean cavalry:

Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 12-29-2005 at 04:43.
    Wooooo!!!

About the Korean faction
    I think it is/was a good idea to spell the korean-faction 'wrong', Choson.

Why? First: the faction (like all/most of the ones in BL) got units from different epochs/kingdoms, not from one specific. Second: naming and spelling the faction after an actual place in our worlds history would sabotage the felling of BL's mythological and fantasy-like feel and flavor. It's like naming an island in a LOTR-game Britannia or Gothia.

By spelling it Choson and not Joseon/Choseon we all know that the faction is based on korean historical armies. But still it is a integrated part of the world of Blue Lotus instead of being a rebirth of ancient Korea.
    Last edited by Kageka; 01-09-2006 at 03:24.

More mongolian units to come?
    I know that the Kharazai Khanate (mongolian faction) is a mini-faction, but I wonder if there are any plans to add troops like you did with Choson (korean faction)?

It feels like the mongolian faction should be more than it is for the moment. I mean it is khanate mongols! One of the strongest/biggest armies and empires ever. They should get something extra. That's my opinion.

I know that people have asked before if Thunder Bombers (STW) will be included. The answer was no. Is it still a no or have you guys talked about maybe add thunderbombers to the mongolian faction? There are already units in RTW that have sling weapon-animations; you could use those and use a (slightly altered) khanate infantry-unit for model? It would be a really cool yet volatile and dangerous skirmish unit to add when one arrange his khanate army. They can deal enormous damage to the enemy if lucky, but be devasting for the own troops if youre unlucky. Russian roulette!

Also it would fit if there where some extra cavalry unit-choice (Keshiks?) for the Khanate.

Just some suggestions.
    Last edited by Kageka; 01-09-2006 at 03:23.

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

Sounds do-able. Does anyone else have any suggestions for new Mongol units that would bolster their army list?

Hehe, I have a few more suggestions for the mongol unit list.

1. Trebuchet- It would be cool if the mongols/kharazai khanate used counterweight trebuchets (that launches bombs/large thunderbombs) as their artillery choice instead of the onager.

2. Keshiks- Veteran elite cavalry. The best of the best horseman warriors. Fastest cavalry unit in the game with outstanding bowman skills and yet being good in melee situations. Medium armor and superior morale. They should be few in numbers (maybe 10 to 20 riders per unit). They could maybe function as the generals bodyguard as well?

3. Wolf handlers- Ok this is slightly pushing the limits because as far as I know there where no wolf handlers/war wolves used by the mongols. But the wolf where a important part of the mongolian mythology. I have even read somewhere that the mongolians believe that they descend from the wolves. I mean this is a mythologic mod, so why not ad a similar unit to the RTW Warhounds for the Mongolians. But instead of bloodhounds they send howling wild wolves to deal with the enemy.
    Last edited by Kageka; 01-09-2006 at 14:58.

Just your average dragoon Member DragoonXXIV's Avatar

If you want more mythological style units then:

Wolf Guard: Infantry troops, not too good in offense or defense but lots of hitpoints and near fanatical. Covered in wolf pelts these guys hold the line while the Khanate cavalry sweeps in the sides or envelop. The idea is: 'too stubborn to quit, too stupid to die'.

Khan(ate) Guard: Sworn to defend the Khan and his empire, these heavy cavalry are shock troops. Always the first on the field, this unit will shatter weaker formations and make throw confusion in the enemy ranks, making it easier for the other Khanate troops to choose thier targets. However these guys should be hard to handle, they might charge any enemy on sight.

Demon Hunters: In these uncertain times, the Khanate has had to resort to more drastitc measures to deal with the growing reports of undead armies and demons to the North. The result was fight magic with magic, only the greatest warriors in the clans could endure the rituals and trials necessary to become a demon hunter. These tattooed riders are the fastest shock troops in the world, if only the Khanate had more of them. (The idea is sort of a hero unit for the mongols)

Obviously these suggestions are not firmly rooted in history, however the first two aren't that far off, and the last is just to add some flavor since the mongols have an encroaching horde from the north.

I believe you should not overlook the oppertunity to include a female unit within the Mongolians.
    It was common place for Women (of high caste) to run the Khans on several occasions during one eara a Female ran the nation for two years!
    (Thats quite impressive if you ask me!)

So as to splinter away from screeching women ala. Germans maybe you can include Women that inspire the men to great actions I.E. bolster morale!

They could be in like a cool Palanquin mouted on horses or something!
    Do not think...feeeeeeeeeel, it is like a finger pointing up at the moon...DO NOT stare at the finger, or you will miss alllllll the heavenly beauty!

How about a Southeast Asian faction to replace the empty southeast asia region... I would suggest Khmer faction...

how about arbelests for the china factions

the were basicaly giant crossbowsthat shot about 10 arrows in one volley

they were from the threekingdoms time

i think they would look like a balista but wider

Also why not make a demon unit that can go beserk like beserkers in rtw : bi

they would be cool but would have to take about 3 turns to trai cos they would rule

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Mangudai:
    Mangudai were the best warriors that date back to the late 13th century. They were explained to be as viscous wolves with blood drenched fangs that attacked a much larger animal (empire). They always won. Never knew defeat or what it felt like to lose a battle. They fear no enemy. They are also known as suicide warriors. Suicide operations within this tradition are found sporadically across different cultures.

These troops were used as bait to charge the enemy and then retreat, hoping the enemy would break ranks and pursue them into a well-coordinated trap.

The Chinese fast-firing crossbows are called "Chu ko nu". They could fire two bolts every second, and as you can see had a clip of 10-20 bolts attached to the top. In any case, if it hasn't been added to the Chinese faction's roster, it probably should be, though I do respect the fact that Hoggy might already have his hands full.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chu_Ko_Nu

You need not worry ramareddy as the "Chu ko nu" Were in the Army list while Hoggy was creating them, so fingers crossed they have been created! I can't recall seeing them on the forum but they may well be in here somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Kageka
    3. Wolf handlers- Ok this is slightly pushing the limits because as far as I know there where no wolf handlers/war wolves used by the mongols. But the wolf where a important part of the mongolian mythology. I have even read somewhere that the mongolians believe that they descend from the wolves. I mean this is a mythologic mod, so why not ad a similar unit to the RTW Warhounds for the Mongolians. But instead of bloodhounds they send howling wild wolves to deal with the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoonXXIV
    Wolf Guard: Infantry troops, not too good in offense or defense but lots of hitpoints and near fanatical. Covered in wolf pelts these guys hold the line while the Khanate cavalry sweeps in the sides or envelop. The idea is: 'too stubborn to quit, too stupid to die'.
    Man I'd love to see these units, they would be awesome.

The Mongolians are my absolute favorite faction but they need some more units. Dragoon & Kageka's ideas are really good. They _at least_ need some Swordsmen, they don't have anything to hold the line other than Spearmen which get murdered by infantry. I hope to see some new Mongol units next version, thx :)

EB fanboy Member The_White_Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ramareddy
    The Chinese fast-firing crossbows are called "Chu ko nu". They could fire two bolts every second, and as you can see had a clip of 10-20 bolts attached to the top. In any case, if it hasn't been added to the Chinese faction's roster, it probably should be, though I do respect the fact that Hoggy might already have his hands full.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chu_Ko_Nu
    Don't the chinese alreade have some kind of repeating crossbow-unit in the current build?

Yes, yes they do and it is the Chu ko nu.

but they don't fire two bolts every second.

I think spear throwers need added to counter elephants - as has been said elsewhere they can decimate even a well trained and well led army - very frustrating in campaign mode.
    chinese and korean skirmishers should be added and made avialable as mercenaries
    Poss koreans with a large wicker shield -
    chinese mayB slightly faster & unarmoured (this gives variety)

I thought the Arbalest was an exclusively western medieval crossbow... although it could be a pseudonym for the Lien Nu, which I think functioned like that. I'm not an expert on this.

Mongolian units - to keep a very mythological feel,

The Wolf handlers seem interesting, but I remember reading in the screenshots thread about the Indian tigers that it was only possible to have one pack animal (what about the vanilla incendiary pigs?)

Wolf Guard - these sound good but why not make them hold a wolf's head in one hand at the same time (or have a wolf's head where one hand would be), acting as a shield.

And... Blue Wolf Knights - Mongolian heavy cavalry on partly armoured dark blue wolves, carrying some unusual kind of weapon - flails, perhaps, if they're possible...

And I agree about the spear-throwers, I think ambushing an elephant ought be one of the best ways of killing it, presently I'm having to be careful ambushing the Krishnapur, because of their beasts of doom.

And - almost unrelated - do the Indian tribal fanatics seem a bit OP to anyone else?

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

so are these army unit for RTW or BI or some mod, and where is the link for these

These are fom the BL mod for Rtw 1.5. The beta is in the thread called Blue Lotus open beta. The rest of the info is in the subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonXXIV
    For future refernece chilly, terracota is rather brittle. If i'm not mistaken it's a type of clay, so think of how fragile a clay vase/bowl/whatever is. So they should have very low defense, but maybe 2(+) hitpoints as you can chop off an arm but they keep coming. If you were going to implament them i would recommend they serve as banner men, thier presence inspiring others and rallying the wavering (like the roman Aquali/1st Legion in vanilla). Also i believe that some of the mercenaries are definately mythological in nature.
    East Asian terracotta was usually fired in blast furnaces that exceeded the temperatures required to liquify iron. The result was a type of ceramic that was extremely strong, stronger than most modern day concrete.

"so think of how fragile a clay vase/bowl/whatever is. "
    They use ceramics in upper tier kevlar body armor that can stop assault rifle rounds, and also in the armor plating of modern tanks.

As for the terracotta soldiers, they would be brittle since the interior of the actual terracotta soldiers were hollow. (The insides of the terracota soldiers was just hollow cavities to reduce the weight)
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

I must say this is my favorite style of concept art I've seen on these forums. It has a good sense of speed and detail, color, efficiency, and displays purpose without unnecessary size or over analyzing. Other than that cool idea and I'll probably check it out but I love the concept art :)
    I'm Batman!

Are there any uniquely new units (new models and textures) being planned that will need concept art? I have done concept art in the past, but it is not of equal quality to this.

Current Blue Lotus TW Leader Member Rinsui's Avatar

Nope. I was able to derive most of the concept art needed for the new unique units from existing ones.
    But thanks for the offer!
    Rinsui

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567